2018-04-25 17:22:21

@Sito, I'm afraid in wheel of time pretty much everyone schemes against everybody else, the bad guys spend more time trying to out do each  than they do working against the good guyss (all accept for one bad guy who is actually compitant and quite awesome though you won't find out about that for a looooong! time).

Even married couples pretty much spend their entire time scheming against each other and half the time I wanted to bang several characters heads together and say "for goodness sake! can you just talk! to each other?"

I'll say the series keeps moving well though until Lord of chaos in book six when things start to slow down, and even Lord of chaos has one pretty good plotline. Fortunately though in WoT persistance does get rewarded since while there is definitely a mid series slump things start picking up again and when you hit the last third of the series in books 11-14 you have awesome all the way through. Its just a shame you have to wade through so much getting there.

Btw Sito,  you might want to check out This series on Tor.com which features a guy who's reading WoT for the first time and writing his thoughts and impressions. My lady and I are enjoying it.
There is also Lee butler's very awesome Wheel of time reread found here though manifestly that covers the entire series so is spoilerific if this is your first time through, still its chapterised so you should be okay.

I enjoy Lee butler's stuff, I don't always agree with her but I find her writing entertaining and she argues well for her opinions even if I think she's dead wrong big_smile.

Then again my lady is a giant WoT fan and is reading the series again rather casually herself so we've had a lot of WoT related arguements, albeit our last huge fantasy was Oathbringer as I said.

Anyway  at the moment I'm reading conny willis's to say nothing of the dog. This is the sequel to her time travel story doomsday book which I reviewed for fantasybookreview.co.uk. its a very different story being more of a nutty comedy than a tragedy, but definitely lots of fun for all that.

I've also been playing a bit of casual rebuild the universe which is surprisingly relaxing big_smile.

The major thing I did was go to a local poetry reading. This was fun but I was a bit narked that I couldn't read any of my own poetry. I had previously recorded a couple onto my victor stream, but it wouldn't be loud enough to cover the room, and its damnably difficult to speak from a dramatic recording.
This is one area where owning a braille embosser, or even a braille display might come in handy, though I have been able to read aloud with a screen reader before provided I prepare the text first into line sized chunks.

the chap is doing another reading on Friday since its a local poetry festival so I'll see about preparing something for then, either take some external speakers for my victor and play one of my recordings, or take a laptop with a prepared script I can have a bash at reading.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-26 22:29:42

i agree with you dark. I do wish some characters would beat up the other or i just wanna take them and shake them because of all their skeeming against each other and their enemys.
I do like when people skeems against their enemys but not when they are clearly friends in a book and still skeem against each other. that's something that robert jordan haven't done wel in my opinion. While the skeeming it self is fun to read it gets boring when friends does it against each other instead of connsentrating their planns on their enemys and discovering the spys against them selves. so a thumbs down to robert jordan when it coems to skeeming.
the only true book that i've liked so far when it comes to skeeming is game of thrones. that's a master piece in my opinion when it comes to skeeming because it combines skeeming with events so that it gets intresting. And feelings gets less descriptions in those books which is a good thing too and makes it all more intresting to read it.

2018-04-29 09:29:26

OK guize let's see. I was never waiting for this month just because of one thing! This school! OK studying is OK but these people have started our weekly tests! Moreover for me after enjoying these holidays it's difficult to come back on studies. That's my problem that whenever I start studying or going school after enjoyment in my holidays it's difficult for me to consontrate. It always takes a long time. I have not liked our new social teacher. She always make children do everything from the book which is quite frustrating sometimes. Other than that this month has been good for me.
After finishing the Sherlock holmes and Hary pottter series which I have liked the most I am not getting which book to start on. If someone knows of any interesting book then please tell me.
Today we are going out of Delhi to my ant's house hopefully I'll be able to study. Social test is sometimes a headache! smile
OK enough rambling! I know it was kinda long smile but... anyways. Hope You all will have a better April than me.
smile

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2018-04-29 12:36:57

I can't wait for this month to be over, hopefully May won't suck as bad as March and April have.

2018-04-29 12:56:26

@Cito unfortunately WoT has scheming all the way through, though as I said it is less interesting in books 6-10 because the plot stops moving forward. Game of thrones is a rather different beast because there each faction is scheming against each other and usually amazingly nasty stuff happens.
My lady actually finds Martin a bit too! grim, just in terms of pretty much anyone nice in the series winding up very dead, I will say having read some of Martin's other fiction that he does have a liking for really grim and dismal, though occasionally tragically beautiful endings.

One disagreement we always have is I wish Jordan had actually killed more! character simply because he keeps on introducing people to the point I didn't care about many of them, and my lady thinks Martin kills off too many people big_smile.

@vaibhavbhandari, we've got several topics about book recommendations kicking around in the offtopic room, so feel free  ask in one of those or indeed post a new one. Heck I write reviews myself so I'm always up for discussing book recommendations, though manifestly its difficult to recommend something without being %100 sure of what you might like or might be looking for, though amusingly enough if you enjoy Harry potter and Sherlock Holmes you might try the October Daye series by Seanon Mcguire, since those are about a half fae detective in San Francisco, and are extremely good.
There is also the Dresden files series by Jim Butcher which are about a wizard who is a detective in chicago, though those are more action and imho not as good as Mcguire's stuff, though fun for a quick blast.

As for me on friday I got some of my poetry publically performed and people are talking about publication. The performance was sort of interesting, since I had to take some recordings I've previously made of my poetry and a set of external speakers and play them through my victor stream which was sort of interesting.  I've also been invited to join a writer's group which was rather nice, so hopefully things might be moving forward a little bit in  of what I want to do with my life general post phd, although that seems like a long way off at the moment big_smile.

Hope things pick up for you Orko.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-29 16:11:26

When I started reading it, I liked the Dresdin series, but by I got to the end of the series, I was bored with it and ready for it to end. It had gotten to the point that once you've read one of the books, you've read them all.

One series I have always enjoyed is Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles series. Despite the number of books in the series, and that they all focus on the characters Atticus and Granuaile, Kevin seems to be able to always come up with something new to keep it interesting.

2018-04-30 12:53:49

I've heard good things about the iron druid books, but I'm a little wary of what I've heard about all the action and "badassery" to quote one review.
The last urban fantasy I tried was richard cadry's sandman slim novels, which, despite a few interesting concepts featured a main character who was sassy to the point of being so bloody obnoxious I frankly wanted to see him lose, and plots which were mainly excuses to go from big action set piece to big action set piece with about as much description as a hollywood shooting script, I'm a little wary of any urban fantasy that doesn't bill itself  having actual characters rather than collections of quips and anxt, since if you've seen one overpowered idiot arsehole his way through every bad guy in a forceably nihilistic world with a confident quip on his lips and a supposedly tragic past, you've seen them all big_smile.

that's why I like Seanon McGuire's stuff, she actually writes characters you can like who aren't just endlessly arsy, and also characters who actually grow and change and aren't covered in guilt all the time.

As regards Dresden, I sort of view them as fun, but yes, they did get a bit much towards the end. Dresden himself rather irritated me, firstly for being what my brother dubbed "the winy wizard" since honestly he spends so much time complaining about himself its not funny! then for the fact  everything seemed overpowered,  Dresden himself.

by the time he'd become the half divine faery demon powered angelic wizard of shape changing legendary guardianness, my interest was waning, it was sort of like watching power rangers, that quite aside from either Dresden or Jim butcher's constant sexism, ---- someone getting murdered, that's terrible, women! are getting murdered oh no! where is a man to protect them!
And the less said about his, aahm, friend who he absolutely does not have romantic feelings towards at all Karin murfy the better big_smile.

Interestingly enough I did have a conversation about the sexism with my Russian friend, who is probably the least sterriotypical woman you can  is a black belt in karate, does several other martial arts and whacks people with a broad sword and who's usual atittude to out and out sexism is to want to hit it many times!
She thought the comments were more butcher being tongue in cheek at Dresden's attitude than expressing an authorial opinion, though with the number of scantily clad women and ocasional moments of damselism I'm not sure.

All That being said there were a lot of things I liked in Dresden, many of the secondary characters, and yee gods some of the antagonists (the black denarious just rock!). I also loved sir Michael, aka Ned flanders from the Simpsons as an avenging holy knight (I actually liked him far more than his daughter), and the group of tabletop rping werwolves! big_smile.

Also the political shenanigans and changes actually did! get  particularly interesting with the alterations in the fae court, and one thing I will say is butcher is one writer who can! write a well described action sequence.
I also would personally love a t shirt with "don't disturb the wizard while he's wizarding!" on it big_smile.

In general I tend to view the Dresden books as fluff. They're light, fun, have lots of things going boom and are a nice break from high tention stuff, though imho still not as good as Mcguire.Hmmm, at some point I might reread and review them.

Oh yeah and stuff about me, well not a lot other than a sleepless night (hence the verbosity), trying to write a review of the Conny Willis I just finished, and vaguely  games etc, plus having work to do this morning.

So same old really.

2018-05-01 10:52:03

i got to agree with your lady abit there dark. not when it comes to martin killing too many people. that's just good so that new and more intresting characters can take their plases. what i do think though is that martin likes to kill many key persons like tywin lanister etc who have been a part of many books. it's fine and all that martin kills people but i'm not really pleased when he kills so many of my favorites and replases them with characters that you just wanna skip while reading the books.