2018-04-01 14:40:31

hello, guys. let me introduce myself. I am Sofwan, a relatively old user here, I already join in this forum since 2015 or so. I already introduce myself in dark's topic though. I never talk much, mainly due the my bad english and my personality that don't like to talk too much.
I am currently in my second year in  english education study program, and because here in Indonesia the assistive technology is not too develop yet  like there in other country, I started to encounter a few difficulties in learning. mainly with there is no soft-file source book available, the lecturers don't understand how to teach student with visually impaired, etc.
luckily, I can pass most of them quite well. In this 4th semester, however, I can't think of an alternative I can do for following the lesson. the subject is linguistics, and we started to study linguistic stuff such as phonetic, syntax, morphology etc, and I found out that neither jaws nor NVDA can help me study. they can not  read several of those strange symbols, and I even haven't study those topic deeper yet.
for those who study linguistic, how do you learn it? is there any add-on, or website or anything that can help you study?

thank you, and I am sorry if there is any mistake whether it grammatical or misstype in this post.

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2018-04-01 17:49:19

If I remember correctly, there's an addon for NVDA that enables the reading of Unicode symbols, such as IPA. I don't remember where to find it.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-04-02 02:43:15

Hmm, I seem to recall you asking something similar last year, heh. I could have swore I saw something for NVDA not long ago in their [mailing list] but can't find anything concrete, you could ask about it there if you like.

As for Jaws there's still the phonetic symbols and IPA Braille links from before, [here] and [here]. The IPA Braille seems to have some materials that may be more relevant for your linguistics requirements.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-04-02 07:04:31

I'm starting to learn linguistics so I nêd any help.

73 Wj3u

2018-04-02 14:27:44 (edited by togira ikonoka 2018-04-02 14:30:52)

magurp244 wrote:

Hmm, I seem to recall you asking something similar last year, heh. I could have swore I saw something for NVDA not long ago in their [mailing list] but can't find anything concrete, you could ask about it there if you like.

As for Jaws there's still the phonetic symbols and IPA Braille links from before, [here] and [here]. The IPA Braille seems to have some materials that may be more relevant for your linguistics requirements.

hello magurp244, yes, I asked about it last year in this forum too. I tried thing for jaws you mentioned, but I am still confuse because jaws read them with strange word such as non breaking hyphen, Double Pipe, Turned Script A etc, so I am not be able to understand how I pronounce it.
anyway, can I make something like that sbl thing for musical notes too? is there a website or software that help me transcode the unicode?
@CAE_Jones
wow, really? thank you, I should try to find out

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2018-04-03 03:15:09 (edited by magurp244 2018-04-03 03:21:34)

It looks as though those are the proper terms for the symbols themselves but not their pronounciation specifically, such as [Turned Script A] or [Turned A] from wikipedia. You could edit the IPA_SBL.txt file and swap or add to the unicode descriptions the pronounciation of each symbol, but it would require research for the proper pronounciation of each symbol, and that may not work all that well as pronounciation likely depends on context and usage.

Something that might help though is [this] youtube channel that has various spoken video tutorials on Latin and its pronounciation, along with other wikipedia pages on spelling, pronounciation, and script letters [here] and [here].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-04-03 06:27:45

magurp244: thank you. it seems I need to do a proper research on this matter

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2018-04-04 00:21:20

hi,
Well, I love linguistics. Got introduced to it also when studying english language teaching. I like it so much I will be changing my major, and starting grad school in the subject.
Firstly, I find it odd that your program only lets you take the manditory linguistics courses in your fourth term, whereas  we started it in our second term.
I will address specific subfields in detail.
Firstly, for phonology, I have not found any way to read, or transcribe the symbols, in an accessible form. NVDA will mispronounce all the symbols. My best bet would've been to have them in braille, and memorize them that way, but unfortunatly this was not possible. Due to this, I was exempted from transcribing the actual symbols, while identifying the subclasses, and properties of the sounds by audio files in the exam. This is likely what you will need to do, as I also think you might have access issues with acquiring braille.
For morphology, most of it is learnable by lecture, and by book. There isn't anything visual about morphology. You should understand the morphemes, and there types.
For syntax, I could not see the trees, but visualized the hierarchy of the nodes. Remember that the trees are only a visual representation of the syntactic structures. Though if you cannot find a tool to draw the trees, this is the part of linguistics you might have the most difficulty with. Understand the structure of trees in your mind, and have your instructors explain confusing parts to you in private if possible.
For semantics, you will not have any trouble with this. Most of semantics is related to meaning, and will be similar to the concepts in your mind. You will need to read the books and know the theories.
Let me know if you want to know more.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2018-04-04 13:39:54

enes wrote:

hi,
Well, I love linguistics. Got introduced to it also when studying english language teaching. I like it so much I will be changing my major, and starting grad school in the subject.
Firstly, I find it odd that your program only lets you take the manditory linguistics courses in your fourth term, whereas  we started it in our second term.
I will address specific subfields in detail.
Firstly, for phonology, I have not found any way to read, or transcribe the symbols, in an accessible form. NVDA will mispronounce all the symbols. My best bet would've been to have them in braille, and memorize them that way, but unfortunatly this was not possible. Due to this, I was exempted from transcribing the actual symbols, while identifying the subclasses, and properties of the sounds by audio files in the exam. This is likely what you will need to do, as I also think you might have access issues with acquiring braille.
For morphology, most of it is learnable by lecture, and by book. There isn't anything visual about morphology. You should understand the morphemes, and there types.
For syntax, I could not see the trees, but visualized the hierarchy of the nodes. Remember that the trees are only a visual representation of the syntactic structures. Though if you cannot find a tool to draw the trees, this is the part of linguistics you might have the most difficulty with. Understand the structure of trees in your mind, and have your instructors explain confusing parts to you in private if possible.
For semantics, you will not have any trouble with this. Most of semantics is related to meaning, and will be similar to the concepts in your mind. You will need to read the books and know the theories.
Let me know if you want to know more.

hi Enes,
yeah, the curriculum of english study program here in my campus is different than others, I found out that most people from other campus learning linguistic since their second or even first term where as me, well. I just get the introduction of linguistic in this semester, a long with phonetic and phonology. maybe I'll get the other stuff in my 5th or 6th, it seems.
awesome! where can I get the audio of pronounciation of those symbol?
sure, I will gladly discuss more about it with you! can we discuss in skype or teamtalk, or any other platform?

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2018-04-05 18:48:28

hi,
Not the pronunciation of the symbols. The actual sounds, and I identified the  subtype of sound, E.g fricative, bilabial. We are lucky to learn this subject at my university. The manditory language teaching curriculum at in the rest of turkey's universities only has a single manditory course, while we take 5 manditory linguistics courses. I would be glad to speak about linguistics.  Also get help from your disability support office in acquiring the books.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."