2018-04-01 05:33:59

According to the Wiki-sources, Dragon Realms is a game, which can be played by blind players, via VIP MUD Client even.
(I have bought the v2 of that client a year ago, and am still using it for playing MUDs)

However, the source mentions, how character-creation must be completed on the website 1st, (so by using our browser), and then it describes the process of adjusting it to the VIP-client, where it can be (accordingly) be played after the process is done.

It sounds quite complicated, but since the game seems pretty inviting to me, (meaning my expectations of a popular game with a large enough community, and classless/levelless system, learning skills by using, practicing them), I intend to go through that process.

So far I have managed to make an account, aka to sign up to Cimatronics home page and Dragon Realms, but got stuck with making a character in it.

I reached the point, where the page asks me to name my character, or choose to view the name-suggestions.

According to the wiki instructions, there are supposed to buttons on the page at this stage, and I should select/choose one of them, plus check some so called "radio button" next to them, that way my choosen character-name will be accepted, and my character created.

Well this is the step where I got stuck
I figured out where to insert my desired character-name, and also can hear the...quite many..."buttons", but regardless of which I check, what name, or command I insert, my character just won't get created.
Maybe it's that additional "radio-button", which I seem to be unable to locate?

If anyone of you happens to play Dragon Realms, can he please help me out regarding this issue?

2018-04-01 05:42:57

Oh, sure, here is the link to the instructions I am trying to follow:
(it's named after the game "Gemstone", but accordingly, the procedure it describes, so the instructions are the same for Dragon Realms as well)

https://gswiki.play.net/Visually_impaired_player_guide

2018-04-05 08:48:35 (edited by Caccio72 2018-04-05 08:50:49)

To those who may be interested:
I have finally managed to start playing Dragon Realms.
The good news is, it has an indeed large active community, is quite well playable to blind and VIP players, accordingly there are quite a few playing it, they even have a mentor, who is an expert for blind players, and the game can indeed be played via the vIP MUD client.
The bad...actually annoying part however is, that before each running, one needs to login into the game on its website, stay logged in, (so leave his browser running minimized, (Firefox is the recommended, best functioning one for the game), save the file with "sal" extension to hard-drive each single time, paste out the so called "key" from it into the VIP client, along with the command >/FE:JAVA, for those 2 are required to be given after each single connection to the game-server with the MUD-client.
The mentioned key is unfortunately dynamic, so it needs to be copied from the newest .sal-file each single time.

I wonder if the game is worth all this hassle before each single run, I shall yet find that out, "stay tuned"!

For now I have discovered, that orientation is quite easy, since there is a very useful, perfectly functioning directing-system with the command dir, providing the path to all more significant locations inside a town, (one can even specify how many directions to be told at once), plus even the NPC-guards can take one to his desired destination, (at least they can do that inside the town's Plaza", which is an important "pro" for Dragon Realms so far.

2018-04-05 13:03:11

That's exactly why I never bothered, well that and the pay wall to go beyond the starting city. No thanks.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2018-04-05 16:58:08

I'm afraid when this was discussed on the audeasy site I was rather hesitant myself for the same reasons, hassle plus quite a steep charge for a textual mud, of which there are many extremely good free, or free to donate examples.

Not that I'm against paying for a game, but subscription based systems are always something I'm a little hesitant about as opposed to donation based ones, and when the subscription system comes with so many hoops to  login it just makes the developers seem both paranoid and greedy. Plus, none of the promotional material on the website or what I'd heard about the game previously seemed to justify either the subscription charges, or the trouble to actually play the game.

Indeed, the only subscription based mud I know is Avalon, and that has the saving grace that if your an active player you really don't need to subscribe at all.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-05 17:15:30 (edited by Caccio72 2018-04-05 17:19:42)

Wait...what pay wall, what subscriptions are you talking about???

Is there something I am missing here?
Or are your infos eventually outdated?

There are accordingly 300-500 players playing Dragon Realms regularily, at least according the statistics...is it possible that many players still play a pay-based textual game nowadays???

Eh, anyway, can you please check this out, and tell me for sure, is the game really still pay-based, since I haven't encountered such a reference neither on its homepage, nor in its wiki...at least yet.

(it does feature gold, platinum, blahblah membership, probably with certain bonuses, advantages, and gifts, but there is nothing about any more serious limitations, or restrictions for those playing it for free...at least I haven't found any yet.

2018-04-05 17:41:51 (edited by Caccio72 2018-04-05 17:43:41)

Please forgive my scepticism, but it's a bit hard for me to believe, that in a time, when even most popular FREE MUDs, and textual games have only a few dozens of faithful regular players remaining, 500 players plays a pay-based textual game regularily...

And a game even, which features no levels, so an overall less popular textual game, with a levelless system, but such a huge community nowadays...
(levelless is just what I keep searching for, and finally found this one with a huge player-base to interact with...it would be a quite unpleasent disappointment finding out, that it's indeed (still) pay-based!

2018-04-05 17:56:44

There is a site for top MUDs, which I usually use when searching for them...here is how it classifies Dragon Realms:
(only a copy/pasted part of the description of course)

• Has Quests
• Class-less System
• Level-less System
• Has Clans/Cabals
• Equip saves on exit
• Accepts Reviews
• New accounts require validation
• Free to Play
• Hiring Builders
• Hiring Coders

Ok, new accounts do not require validation anymore, so these infos are probably outdated as well...

So what is the current, actual situation with the game then?

2018-04-06 00:35:01

Well if you look at This faq from the dragonrealms site it clearly states that gemstone Iv and Dragon realms are pay to play games. and a bit of googling turned up This page which lists what you get on a free account ass compared to a paid one.

It seems that basically yes, the game can be played for free, but things are very limited as compared to a paid account.
How limiting this is I don't know, but I will admit as an exploration fan that the idea of being locked in one city and having to pay real money to leave is not appealing to me.

Also when I checked on the wiki it seemed that the premium accounts were bloody expensive for what you got.

This is basically similar to the discussion people had on audeasy about the games.

How many of those 500 or so logged in players are paid accounts and what the mechanics of the game are I'm not sure, though if you find out further information I'd be interested to know.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-06 08:57:14

Well, I guess the most reliable answer I should get from a mentor in the game itself.
I will let you know when it happened.

2018-04-06 17:56:30 (edited by Caccio72 2018-04-06 18:04:42)

Well, good news so far:
1. 1st of all, maybe there indeed was some account-verification I missed noticing, since from now on, I don't need to copy/paste that key and the JAVA-command into my VIP client anymore.
It's enough to login on the Cimatronics page, (Firefox only, due supporting Java), select my character, and "go play".
Then I can simply start the VIP client, select my character for Dragon Realms from the connection-list, and the game starts running.
2. I couldn't find any active mentors yet, but could easily leave my starting town, through it's north gate even, which leads to a monster-infected forest, so I have encountered no movement-limitations so far.
(plus, players leave and enter the town in every few seconds, so the community is indeed large, the online statistic doesn't lie...this time)