2018-03-30 12:30:15

Lately, I have been very concerned about my online privacy and security. So started to search the checklist to ensure I was safe, but I have not been using any of the security measures despite all the threats associated with browsing web, sharing credentials, buying stuff online or any other personal information including my data. so learn about using a VPN and after a short research, I was confused enough about which service to choose and pay for. If anyone has prior experience, please help.

2018-03-30 13:11:56 (edited by MasterChief 2018-03-30 13:13:07)

I personally use vpn unlimited.
I bought it when they made an offer that was giving life time for only $39.00 if I remember right.
It was what, 2 years ago if not more I can't remember.
I use it until today and it works fine.
I tried it on ios and windows, and it works like a charm.
They have a lot of servers all over the world you can choose what server you can connect to, and you can switch from server to server when ever you like.
I mean there is no limitation regarding that.
Just a few minutes ago I looked at the prices and here they are:
Monthly: $4.99
Yearly: $24.99
Lifetime: $149.99 (70% off).
I know you may find cheaper options, but I personally find this one reliable, and yes, they have 0 log policy.
One other option is one called air vpn, I got it for like 45 euros a year, this one is only for my gaming needs, as it supports port forwarding.
That reminds me, vpn unlimited does not support port forwarding.
bonus fact:
vpn unlimited doesn't work with netflix with the servers I tried, haven't tried with air vpn though.
hth.

2018-03-30 14:46:56 (edited by flackers 2018-03-30 14:49:31)

I use private internet access from time to time. It's accessible, easy-to-use, and pretty reasonable for a year's subscription. For simple users like me it's just a case of sign in and click connect. You can choose which country you'd prefer if you like, but again it's just a case of clicking one from a list.
Though to be honest I don't worry much about security stuff. I think a hell of a lot of fear-mongering goes on because it's good for getting people to buy stuff or just keep up with technology that often serves the supplier more than the consumer.

2018-03-30 16:35:00

Hi
I'm using my own Digital Ocean VPS to host my VPN. Cost me $5 every month for the vps and there I host some websites, my vpn and some other stuff.
- NicklasMCHD

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2018-04-05 00:19:49

I like Private Internet Access myself, and these days I'm using Open VPN to make the connection. They provide the configuration files that you can use with the Open VPN client. A recent update to PIA's Windows app broke accessibility, so that's why I switched. I find it more reliable anyway, so I'm glad I did.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-04-05 13:39:43

I can also highly recommend PIA.
Like turtlepower17 I've switched to using openvpn, however I've contacted support to see about getting the accessibility issues resolved, so we shall see what happens.
HTH,

Daniel

2018-04-06 00:40:10

I think the accessibility issues will be resolved eventually, they've responded well to feedback about the IOS app in the past for me. I just didn't want to wait, and I had good experiences with Open VPN in the past, so I'm using that for the time being. One thing I like is that it lets you know via a toast notification when the connection has been made. PIA's native application never did that. It's easy enough to just check in the system tray, sure, but hey, what can I say, I'm lazy.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-04-08 12:24:20

hi,
One thing, when picking a vpn, make sure to pick one that does not forward DMCA notices, and has a no logs policy. Though, a vpn with no logs policies would  not be able to do anything even if it received a notice. But the no logs thing is important. If your vpn keeps logs of your activity, and promises to turn them over to governments and other requesting parties, there is no point in using that vpn.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."