51 (edited by defender 2018-06-13 22:23:41)

Do you think I could figure out how to get a debugger set up with no coding knowledge?
I'm running Win 7 X64 with NVDA 2018.1.

Okay but many of those sites have everything covered under the same license or they only have a small handful licenses for uploaders to choose from when submitting audio.
And if the sounds aren't accessible by a website visitor than I can't see it being a problem, your not hosting for users to download, your using an automated backend service to deliver the files, and I believe that allot of steam based games do it this way as well for instance.
But yeah the sites where that isn't true... Pain in the ass especially when you need to link to the license for each sound, even with categorization, so I get you their, thankfully I think the only ones on my list that do that would be a couple of the music ones.
I know that searching can be time consuming, but packs like Sonniss aren't common, so it's really your only good option. With most of the sites I've given you, you aren't going to get more than a few tens of results anyway, as long as your keyword isn't extremely vague.
I'll look for what free packs I do know of though, and with the music sites, a few offer full catalog downloads, but for a price.

This... -- Is CNN'.
Well Ted, it sure looks like there's been uh, quite a bit of violence around here
"aaoh, that violence was terrible'!"
Yeah it was, pretty bad.

Thumbs up

52 (edited by john 2018-06-13 23:50:30)

Defender:
You may be able to launch a debugger, but from my experiments, you'd need a rock solid understanding of assembly in order to make anything of it.
That's why I'm asking for external input; getting this info is going to take a pretty advanced hacker. I'd suspect some of our advanced developers (Aprone, Munawar, etc) would be able to do it since they've spent years working on software, but short a professional I've no clue how to go about getting the kind of data we'd need to try and fix the issue.

The sounds are accessible for anyone to download. All you need to do is reconstruct the links, which is trivially easy, since the game offers you the ability to save all commands used during installation and updates.
For instance:
https://nightvista.net/theWastesPack/fi … 0coins.ogg
Its long, but its valid.

As a side note: that one's self-made, but the concept applies equally to all.

Thumbs up

53 (edited by blindndangerous 2018-06-14 02:08:59)

I can't get this to happen consistently, but I'll be playing, then it will receive a shutdown signal and close the command window, and their goes my game. Quite annoying when I'm actually on a good run.  Also, if their's a bug in saving when in the start of an area, is their a good time to save? Also, does the dev care about this anymore? So he could fix it and impliment the load game function?

Thumbs up

The source for the game was lost, so there is no way to implement saving.
What do you mean by shutdown signal? Do you get the error saying the core game has crashed?

I suspect that the only way to make any sourcecode changes would be to have somebody whose vastly more familiar with debuggers and c++ than I decompile the game somehow. I'm not even sure if this is possible or not, though, and it very well may already have been tried (the original developer spent a lot of effort trying to recover the code).

Thumbs up

I see the issue now John, is their no way what so ever to do this another way that is less open then? honestly even just packaging the sounds with a download that has the game as well would even bypass that I think...

This... -- Is CNN'.
Well Ted, it sure looks like there's been uh, quite a bit of violence around here
"aaoh, that violence was terrible'!"
Yeah it was, pretty bad.

Thumbs up

56 (edited by john 2018-06-15 03:49:45)

I believe I may have begun to narrow down a possibility for the crash bug.
Specifically, the game just crashed when trying to generate the contents of a crate. Thus, I'm leaning more strongly towards a damaged line in one of the item files, somewhere.
I will be attempting to work up something to scan the files for basic sanity violations, and maybe, just maybe, we can put this thing to rest.
If you're bored and want to help, feel free to look through the files in the core/items folder. If you notice any lines (there can't be many broken or the game would crash more) that look different than others in the same file, please post them here. This includes blank lines. There shouldn't be any.

Defender:
A single large zip folder was one of the options I considered when planning out how to distribute this thing. Unfortunately, its not as simple as extract and run. Every file has to go in exactly the right place, or the whole house of cards collapses. Its possible for a technically capable (or just extremely detail orientated) user to get everything where it needs to be, but its not easy. If you asked me to reconstruct this system from scratch without studying the install script, it would take days.
I've written up some of the details on the pack's technical notes page, so if you're curious about why I've done things the way I have, give that a look, and feel free to drop me a line on the contact page if you want info on aspects not covered in the notes.

Thumbs up +1

Update: I've reviewed a couple files, and corrected a couple dozen typos. Additionally, I've changed a few lines that ended with periods, since this was inconsistent with the rest of them. I'm sincerely hoping that this may actually do something to resolve the crash bug.
To help me determine the chances of success on this, has anyone found either a whistle or bucket while using the pack?

Thumbs up

Yes, I have, but I don't think it crashed it. I could be wrong though, it's been a bit since I found it.  I also found that reddit post where he said he'd lost the code right after I had posted that first post here.

Thumbs up