2018-03-20 13:49:23 (edited by Orko 2018-03-20 16:34:44)

I have had it with the Themedia DRM that Code Factory uses on its Eloquence for Windows product, it causes enough problems with the rest of my system that it is no longer worth putting up with it just to have Eloquence for SAPI5.

so I am looking for a comparable SAPI5 voice to replace it with. It doesn't have to be free, but if it is paid, there should be a trial of some kind. While samples of the voice is better than nothing, I find that to really evaluate a voice you need to be able to use it with the programs that would be using it. Ideally it should also be DRM free, or at least not using a draconian DRM system like the one Code Factory uses.

I would need this voice for 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, just in case it matters.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2018-03-20 15:56:15

I'd love a good quality version of eloquence for sapi without code factory's stupid drm thing for windows myself. Would also be willing to pay for it. Windows 10 has decent voices but my biggest complaint they are still a bit too low on the volume end of things.  I found something about a sapi eloquence but it did not work as a main sapi voice. I could not find it in any speech control panels.

2018-03-20 16:30:45

Oh, I should probably add that I would need this voice for 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, just in case it matters.

2018-03-20 16:32:35

The problem I tend to find on Windows 10 is that most Sapi applications are 32 bit, and Windows 10 won't accept any changes to the 32 bit sapi voice.

Even when i get up the 32 bit sapi voice control pannel and change it manually, one reset and Windows 10 defaults back to Microsoft Hazel.

its actually slightly frustrating. Hazel is okay, but there are definitely voices I prefer, still for 32 bit applications it seems I'm stuck with her.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-20 18:41:15

BLIND HELP.NET HAS A DIFFERENT VERSION of eloquence here:
http://***/software/eloquence
to my knoledge it only has the reed voice, but at least it's totally free and doesn have that stupid DRM. it may be a good idea to temperarilly disable both UAC and your antivirus before downloading this though, because antivirus programs block it and the installer tends to freaze if UAC is enabled.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-03-20 19:45:47

See, I don't know what qualities in a voice you'd be looking for. No sapi voice is responsive, though a few come close. If you're looking for one that sounds like eloquence, or enough like eloquence, you're out of luck. If you want responsiveness over anything else, I'd say eSpeak. The others are concatinative engines, some kind of bad, some OK, a few are pretty good. You could get the infovox pack, I like those voices, I have their NVDA equivalents. I'd say Innoetics voices, but they shut down and you can no longer purchase them. There are the Cereproc voices, they're not too costly, but you do have to buy each one you want, there is no one license for every voice. You can hear samples though. They have a lot of ones with interesting accents, though they do have American sounding ones too.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-20 20:32:41

Apparently you have to be registered with the Blind Help Project to download anything from them and I'm not about to register with some site just to download a file.

Since the only programs I have that use SAPI are games, responsiveness over quality would be preferred, but I want something that sounds reasonable, not like some retro era robot.

2018-03-20 23:14:29

I was able to download it without registering.

-id software, 1995

2018-03-20 23:22:25 (edited by defender 2018-03-20 23:30:13)

Hey, don't be hating on the Atari voice, it's awesome!

The Vocalizer voices sound pretty good, at least to me, and Ivona Sally if you don't mind her tone.
Either way I have a really hard time concentrating when reading books with SAPI as opposed to eloquence.
I think you can still download the last version of NV speech player, too, and it's not half bad.
Their is also the access32 add-on that gives you dectalk, which despite how much we make fun of it, isn't actually too bad if you play with the sliders for a bit.
Ditto for Sapi4, which I was able to install and get working in Windows 7 at least, though I my self can't put up with them.
Yeah, your selection for CLAT based synths is pretty shit...

2018-03-21 05:07:30

Personally, if you can get Sapi4 installed, true voice's adult male 1 voice is a dead ringer for steven hawking. a shame that it wasn't ported to sapi5 like was dun with Michael and michell, because then we could have a version that doesn't crash my windows 10 after about an hour.

-id software, 1995

2018-03-21 05:57:34 (edited by Socheat 2018-03-21 05:58:58)

Does Neospeech still sells their voices? You might want to have a look there. They have lots of great voices, I especially love Paul and Julie voice. They sounds very nice.

2018-03-21 07:05:37

Hello.

If you want eloquence for NVDA you can download eloquence for free as an addon at this link https://***/index.php?page=NVDA

Press the number 1 key five times, then h until you hear eloquence and go from there.

I find that no matter how many voices Microsoft or any other company comes out with, I always go back to eloquence.

I'm gone for real :)

2018-03-21 09:09:05 (edited by austingrace 2018-03-21 09:09:26)

Hello. That blind help thing works perfectly. You don't need an account to download things btw. Also, if you all want to use the sapi eloquence in windows 10 64 Bit just type in 
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl
It works perfectly. But one thing to keep in mind, when you restart your pc you need to go back to that control panel and reset your voice as the pc voice.

2018-03-21 12:02:40

Well, the Blind Help Project turned out to be a waste of time, the pages for are still there, but the file for SAPI5 Eloquence for Windows has been removed.

If anyone has a copy and is willing to share, you can upload it here:

https://www.sendspace.com/dropbox/qn017u

And if you don't mind I'll add it to my list of shared files that you can access by clicking the website link at the bottom of my messages.

Thanks!

2018-03-21 12:26:27

The link is still there Orko, it's called Download Eloquence for SAPI5. I can never get those 32bit voices to work on Win7 64 anyway. Using the run command mentioned above gets them to show up in the list, but narrator still stubbornly refuses to use anything but Anna.

2018-03-21 13:09:16 (edited by Orko 2018-03-21 13:17:52)

I tell you, there were no download links for anything until I registered and verified my email address, then download links were present for everything. But when I clicked on the link for Eloquence for Windows, all I get is an error saying that the file was removed.

And, as if anyone needed any more reasons not to buy from Code Factory, I went to their site to see if a newer version of their Eloquence for Windows was available. They must have removed a lot of something because the installer I downloaded yesterday was less than half the size of the installer I downloaded six months ago. 13 Mb versus 28 Mb. I wonder what they removed.

Also before I uninstalled their Eloquence to get rid of the gawd damned DRM, I first wanted to deactivate the copy to preserve my activation count, but every time I tried, the activation server through back an error. That makes me wonder if new purchasers can successfully activate their purchases.

I didn't bother to try contacting their tech support because it is non existent, I've never received a reply to any of my past inquiries. So, it wasn't worth wasting my time trying.

2018-03-22 01:11:25 (edited by Orko 2018-03-22 12:07:55)

Figured it out. On a whim I decided to go through the software list on the blind help project to see what they had. I discovered that there are two entries for Eloquence. The one that works is called Eloquence TTS for all operating systems, the one that doesn't, where I ended up, is called Eloquence for SAPI5.

So I now have Eloquence for SAPPI5 without the gawd damn DRM, screw you Code Factory!

I will miss Rocko though, that was a great voice for games.

2018-03-22 12:19:25

Well, that didn't last long, the two games I play the most are Spoonbill's Klondike Solitair and Sudoku. This version of Eloquence crashed both within a minute. So it got uninstalled and deleted.

2018-03-22 13:33:15

Have you ever tried Scansoft's Daniel? It's the one I tend to use for games that require a SAPI voice. I think it's pretty good. I have an installer if you want to try it.

2018-03-22 14:19:56

@flackers

Sure, if you're willing to share, I'll give it a shot. If you need a place to upload it to, you can use my sendspace pro dropbox at:

https://www.sendspace.com/dropbox/qn017u

Note: This link does not upload into my shared files folder, files uploaded here go into a private folder, so if you don't want the file passed around, it won't be.

Thanks!

2018-03-22 15:33:26

Okay. I sent it. Hopefully the transfer allows .exe files without having to rename or zip them first.

2018-03-22 15:58:48

I got it, sendspace has no such filtering, you are probably thinking about email attachment filtering.

Thank you sir! You are a gentleman and a scholar! Thumbs up to you!

2018-03-22 20:57:42 (edited by Orko 2018-03-22 20:59:50)

I tried ESpeak, I had forgotten that it's the default voice NVDA comes with, it's terrible, it's very robotic sounding and barely understandable.

I haven't tried the Daniel voice flackers provided mainly because I'd prefer a US English voice, but in the absence of anything else, I can accept a UK one.

I also sampled the voices Sarah Tech offered but none of the US English voices appealed to me.

On with the search.

2018-03-22 21:58:33

If you go to http://grossgang.com/tts/sapi_voices, you can find a Realspeak installer that contains all the English voices, minus the Indian English voice. It also comes with two Spanish voices. If you look more at the page there's actually way more than Realspeak as well, i.e., he has a 2005 version of neospeach up there and other things that I can't remember at the top of my head. I wish he'd put VW Julie on there, but I can kind of see why he doesn't because he could get in trouble for doing that. Isn't that voice still sold?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-03-22 23:08:23

Thank you, shotgunshell.

After I deleted the comma at the end of your link, I had a look. 80 voices in there, including Eloquence 3, 3.3, 4, 5, and 6.1, unfortunately they locked up my games after a minute or two. I found some other voices that looked interesting so I grabbed them for a look as well as the ones you suggested.

I knew of that repository, but didn't have its address, it's now in my favorites.