2018-03-20 10:50:55

Hi!
I decided to try to create a sound shooter in C++, and I ran into a problem.
I decided to use libraries and API, but they use it as a sprite player.
If you create your own engine with the player class, xy z coordinates, etc, I need to calculate 3D, rotations, etc, physics. But I do not know higher mathematics and physics.
Which exit?
Thanks in advance!

2018-03-20 16:21:36

I'm honestly wondering why... oh, nevermind. Anyway, you need to provide a lot more detail than just this (you want to create a game, you want to be able to calculate 3D coordinates, you don't know the correct formula or do not have the required mathematical skills to devise your own). We don't even know what game engine your trying to use. Chances are it has this already implemented. If it doesn't have a physics engine already implemented, than its not a fully qualified game engine.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-03-20 18:19:19

I have chosen the programming language for a very long time, for several years. I know, it's stupid.
Why C++? Because using this language, I can develop any game.
C# is bound to NET. Ported libraries? There is no guarantee that this works the same as on unmanaged code.
Now I'm inclined to C++ and Java.
I was advised to use bulletphysics.

2018-03-20 19:37:19

That first question isn't even a question, doesn't even make sense. You're not giving detailed issues, you're just saying, I don't know how to do X.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-20 19:41:04

you could make a game even with python if that, just you'd have to act in a different way than you would do with c++

Paul

2018-03-20 20:39:17

@jonikster, if your going to ask for help from developers, you should at least provide code examples and the game engine your trying to use. Just saying "how do I do x" is hardly ever going to get you an answer unless it involves something like how to do something with a particular library.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-03-20 20:57:19

Hi,
so, first, libraries are great, but I recommend to don't be crazy about them. Sometimes a small your own writed physics functions can:
a. Fulfill your needs in easier and more efficient way than a library or third party game engine
b. run faster than a massive library with many functions you actually don't need.

Then, the situation is easy. If you want to use a physics library or game engine, then you don't need to know math for your described tasks, it will do them for you.
If don't, then is there another way to go on. You developed in bgt before, am I right? In that case, you can grab the code from Rotational package by Samtupy, it is perfectly usable for your game. Or, better said, it is perfectly usable for 2d game like Swamp or Rtr, for an 3d game, Samtupy coded according formulas incorrectly, so it can't be used.
Luckyly, me and other coders have coded each his own way to manage this, so I can send you proper methods if you're interested.

Best regards

Rastislav

2018-03-20 21:43:27

pauliyobo, are you sure? I saw the Sound RTS, I saw undead assoult. These are not productive games. Are you saying that in Python 3 I can develop a good shooter if I want to?

2018-03-20 21:45:16

Rastislav Kiss, yes, I'm interested. Can we exchange contacts?

2018-03-20 22:07:08

@post 8 definitely
why not?

Paul

2018-03-20 22:15:13

What about performance?

2018-03-20 23:12:35

That depends in how you code the game
Even if you code the game in c++ if you don't code itproperly it will have a bad performance
From what I know in c++ you even have to do some memory management, which is done automatically in python, don't quote me on this though.

Paul

2018-03-20 23:23:17

pauliyobo, that is, you want to say that in Python 3 I will have enough performance to develop a shooter like RTR or video game Call Of Duty?

2018-03-21 00:38:59

And here people going on again, getting on about BGT is best and all that. OK, no one actually said it but its practically implied here. And I'm frankly getting tired of it. You want to develop games that are actually fun (like as fun as BK is)? Don't use BGT! You want a game that's not considered a virus *every* time an AV program sees it, either forcing you to uninstall that program, or add the installed location as an exception? Don't use BGT!
Now, @7, big, big problem here. Hand-coded physics are probably one of the worst ideas you can ever come up with in a true game. Unless you have a doctorate in Physics, and you know the formulas front to back, can solve them mathematically, and can manage to implement them programmatically, writing your own hand-coded physics is only going to end in a headache and difficulties you'll never be able to fix. The Awesome Lists recommend some good physics engines for various programming languages. The awesome-cpp sub-list has libraries for Artificial Intelligence, Asynchronous Event Loop, Audio, Biology, BitTorrent, CLI, Compression, Concurrency, Containers, Cryptography, and much more, including -- you guessed it -- Physics! Good physics engines that it recommends are engines like Bullet3D for 3D physics and Box2D for 2D physics. Like I said though, whatever you do, don't go writing your own physics handling functions by hand unless you know the theory forwards and backwards and can solve all the physics formulas your going to implement manually with standard mathematics and complex mathematics, too (just knowing the formula doesn't mean you know how to implement it).

My Github

2018-03-21 00:50:59

About Python. I will never use Python for games. Now I want to understand if I can use for C++ games. But I think the best solutions for C# and Java games.
Ethin, I do not want to develop it manually. I'm looking for engines.

2018-03-21 02:31:46

@jonikster, I know you are. But the big problem with engines is that they all require to use a particular editor that's most likely not even accessible with windows 10 OCR. Some are, but its rare. And the best ones (Godot and UE4) editors are not. The only truly accessible way to develop true games in C++ is to use UE4 (you'll need sited assistance for making levels, but that's all), or by coding it using Visual Studio's DirectX 12 templates.

My Github

2018-03-21 02:59:39

Firstly, I'm talking about such engines as Bullet Physics.
Second, can we use UE 4? How!

2018-03-21 03:26:43 (edited by Ethin 2018-03-21 03:27:09)

@17:
So you are talking about a physics engine, like Bullet3D or Box2D. Second... lots and lots of OCR and fiddling around. And lots of time. Not helpful, I know, but its sort of something you need to figure out on your own.

My Github

2018-03-21 03:34:27

What about UE? Is it accessible to the blind?

2018-03-21 04:24:45

@jonikster, ... obviously not?

My Github

2018-03-21 10:38:14 (edited by pauliyobo 2018-03-21 10:47:04)

@ post 13, you would know if you would stick with one language and explore is features rather than switching every 2 milliseconds.
Having said that you can go search online, and you'll find that many games use python in their backend or in their game logic. So don't come and say to me that doing games in python will not be performant.
I could be wrong, but I'm sure you can make a game with python which performance is good. If you don't want python, that's fine. But fucking get stick with what you want to use, or you'll end in doing nothing lol. You want to use c++? fine, stick with it.
But I know, that in like 2 milliseconds you'll do an other post about using an other particular language
If you found me rude, I am sorry, just trying to raise my point.
PS:
for the python games go check
python games in the python wiki

Paul

2018-03-21 11:43:55

pauliyobo, I agree with you, and you are right. I still have not made the final choice, simply because I do not know what is best for me.
C++ is a good choice, but in the future I will not be able to use this language for work. It's hard to find a job for C++.
If we talk about C# and Java, I do not know which one is better. On the one hand, for Windows the best C#, on the other hand, if I want to develop an application on Android, I can not do it on C#.

2018-03-21 14:17:22

Why, insteado fchoosing the better language, don't you choose the one with which you are confortable?
C# and java are both 2 beasts, but no one said that you should pick the best of them. You can pick the one with which you fell confortable
I choosed python because I feel really confortable with it. Yes an interpreted language is slower than a compiled one.
But fuck it, I feel my self confortable in it.

Paul

2018-03-21 15:10:34

Well, I will make my choice if you tell me how. I've worked with C#, I like it, I started working with Java not so long ago, but I still did not understand whether I like it or not, but by the first sensation it's faster yes than not

2018-03-21 15:57:28

The thing is, I can not tell you how to do it. I'm not you, so I can not make choices for you
I can tell you what's my point, which I did, now it's up to you make a decision. You shouldn't think that everyone should choose things for you or tell you how to do it.
In this case the only thing that can tell you how to choose is your mind.

Paul