2018-03-19 18:55:15

Recently stumbled upon this article on the DECtalk mailing list. Figured you guys might be interested in it.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art … 759775.php

2018-03-19 20:21:48

I read this over the weekend, it was interesting to say the least.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-20 03:11:14

Hi.
Wow, this does sound interesting.
I still prefur I must say the old symbian eloquence 8khz to the 16bit one because it just sounds all wrong.
But yeah the dectalk, it is nice, yes I have the sapi version but my biggest gripe is the volume output of some of the voices which basically mean its got no real use for me.
I do wander what will happen to the horking voice, one wanders if all ports will be available free or at low cost for us to et, I do hope so.
Its interesting to note that paul on dectalk is an emulation of that voice to a point.
But like all things, things do die.
Certainly things don't last as long unless you invest in it.
It reminds me about the steve jobs documentary I watched on tv last week and the frenzy on this and that.
I remember such a frenzy of mine, in 2008 my old dos box died and I really tried to get another.
I couldn't, later on I got into windows with com0com but to be honest never really used dos as I used to.
Now on 64 bit com0com just doesn't want to work and while I could use dos with jaws I just don't know.
I really don't have the old keynote gold sa synth I got from a junk pile ages ago to mount old dos and use my keysoft and mastertouch disks even so I have them still.
As I have just about every disk but that will be changing.
When I move house, and I will be, I plan to chuck out basically all the old backup cds, floppy disks, including all my versions of dos, my old 32 bit satelite, 2 old broken systems and an old broken keynote that has seen better days.
The batter got dropped and is broken the box is broken a lot of it is no good.
But well its a pile of junk, but if someone came over that was passionate  like me then well who knows.
I would really like a keynote gold sapi voice, but its like that old stuff is in the bin now and it was better than any of the newer systems now.
Espeak is the same robotic synth almost but I do miss the keynote gold.

2018-03-20 07:35:37

Horking, for god sake already. I've seen people all over the place butcher his name, its Hawking, not Horking or Hawkins, jesus. One of the most inspired and famous minds of the 20th and early 21st centuries dies, and people can't take two seconds to look up the name?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-20 13:32:20

@ironcross32

You said it. Let's show some respect for the departed and at least get his name right.

2018-03-20 15:22:44

as a tribute to mr. Hawking, I've decided to set my NVDA to Dec Talk, for the week, since it's pretty close to his voice, and I don't have access to the emulator. We lost a great  man.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-03-20 18:46:52

they should port the emulator to sapi5.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-03-20 20:39:24

I'd actually be willing to pay for that if they did.

2018-03-20 21:57:30

Why not just let the voice die with the man? We have dectalk and espeak already, what's the point of trying for more, especially when it was one of the things someone so renowned was known for?

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-06-21 23:18:37

In a recent Freedom Scientific podcast, Jonathan Mosen talked with some people from Nuance about speech synthesis, text to speech, optical character recognition, and speech recognition. During the conversation they refered to an article about Nuance's involvement with Stephen Hawking and his synthesized voice that I thought was rather interesting.

https://whatsnext.nuance.com/in-the-lab … I.linkedin

2018-06-23 18:14:17

Ya know where this voice really belongs? Chipspeech. That vst that makes vintage synths sing and stuff, this is like a perfect candidate for that. Then we can have singing Stephen Hawking science songs other than this one.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.