2018-03-14 12:44:05

Hello,
here is the article
Stephen W. Hawking, the Cambridge University physicist and best-selling author who roamed the cosmos from a wheelchair, pondering the nature of gravity and the origin of the universe and becoming an emblem of human determination and curiosity, died early Wednesday at his home in Cambridge, England. He was 76.
His death was confirmed by a spokesman for Cambridge University.
“Not since Albert Einstein has a scientist so captured the public imagination and endeared himself to tens of millions of people around the world,” Michio Kaku, a professor of theoretical physics at the City University of New York, said in an interview.
Dr. Hawking did that largely through his book “A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes,” published in 1988. It has sold more than 10 million copies and inspired a documentary film by Errol Morris. The 2014 film about his life, “The Theory of Everything,” was nominated for several Academy Awards and Eddie Redmayne, who played Dr. Hawking, won the Oscar for best actor.
Scientifically, Dr. Hawking will be best remembered for a discovery so strange that it might be expressed in the form of a Zen koan: When is a black hole not black? When it explodes.
What is equally amazing is that he had a career at all. As a graduate student in 1963, he learned he had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a neuromuscular wasting disease also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. He was given only a few years to live.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-03-14 13:52:06 (edited by GrannyCheeseWheel 2018-03-14 14:02:16)

I heard about this yesterday, sad. At least he lived a long time for what his disease prognosis was. I remember seeing a show that said his doctors thought he'd die in his 20's or something because of how severe the disease was.

At any rate, we've lost a true scholar, a thinking man.

Anyway, this is hitting me kinda hard, since he was such a giant, and took our understanding of the universe to a new level.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-14 14:32:31

This is so sad, Besides the movie about his life, there was also a science oriented TV series called the Theory of Everything that I listened to whenever an episode aired. I've also read his books, my first being The Brief History of Time, which was a great book.

He, his curiosity, and his knowledge will be sorely missed.

Condolences to his friends and family.

2018-03-14 14:32:50

I heard this this morning, and was extremely sad, we've lost a great man.

I actually enjoyed a brief history of time, albeit I should read it again to get some of the more theoretical quantom angles, I also loved the way Steven Hawking didn't take himself completely seriously and had a media presence that ran from Startrek the next generation (beating Albert Einstein at Poker on the hollodeck), to The simpsons and Futurama.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-14 15:41:18

that death almost made me cry. He was like a rol moddel to me for his brains and commitment.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-03-14 17:47:46

I wonder what will become of his trade marked voice? I thought that was an interesting bit of trivia about him that he actually trade marked the computer voice he used so that no one else could use it.

I understand why he did it, when you hear that voice, you know exactly who is talking. It is unmistakeable.

2018-03-14 18:26:35

I actually used to have that voice myself on my computer back in the nineties with a big fat external synth box  a short lived screen reader called windvision. the voice was called "Perfect paul" and  it was great for playing tricks on people big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-14 20:20:31

When i first heard him, I was 9 that time, I thought it is Eloquence.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-03-14 20:30:29 (edited by SirBadger 2018-03-14 20:30:57)

yeah was perfect paul. we had a machine in school with a scanner and a big box thing on with the same voice too. I think the voice was made by dectalk and it was in kw reader for the pc as well. pink floid actually had steven hawking speaking on a track from the devision bell album. guess they could have easily just used a synth instead but that would have just been wrong.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-03-14 20:34:00

Wasn't hes voice actually some pretty early version of DECTalk?

2018-03-14 21:05:50

It does sound similar to DecTalk, but it sounds a bit more synthesized.

2018-03-14 23:33:04

It's dec talk 1.8. It in deed is a very  old version   of Dec Talk.  I was comparing  it to some dec talk demos in the respective BT sync folder, and it's 1.8. Anyway, I also heard about this when I woke  up, and was scrolling through my notifications I had missed over the night. We have lost a genious, who will be missed.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-03-14 23:35:28

That would be a great SAPI voice. Yeah, have Steven Hawking voice all your games for you! That would be cool!

2018-03-15 02:03:41

It for me sounds like Tru Voice. The paterns and intonation sound like Tru Voice.
I really miss him along with he's synth, but if I should be a scientist I should have he's legacy.

73 Wj3u

2018-03-15 10:25:55

Hi.
@electro: The reason it reminds you of TruVoice is because the synthesizer that Hawking used, called the Prose 2000, was developed by Speech Plus, who was a division of Centigram Communications, who was the original developer of the     TruVoice TTS system before Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products took over development.

2018-03-15 20:53:57

We have lost a great man. I am so sad about this, I will miss waiting for a new speech from him and enjoying how beautifully he managed to explain everything. His writings and speeches helped me a lot to understand the universe we live in and provided me with a clear image about the origins of the universe. I hope you found your peace great man!
In his memory I would like to share with you a film I'll be watching in a few minutes, the theory of everything. It's a film about his life, enjoy.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/y19ybz

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2018-06-17 02:17:01

I just heard on the news that Stephen Hawking's ashes were laid to rest today between Sir Isaac Newton and Sir Charles Darwin, and that the European space agency beamed his voice with a message of peace and hope to the nearest black hole.

Acording to Google Home, it will take the message about 27,000 years to get there.