2018-02-17 01:07:02

Hey everyone.
So I wanted to get more and more into strategy games to get used to strategical thinking a bit more and to train my brain for these sort of things.
I discovered that time of conflict might be a good game due to it's complexity, things to do and different maps with different situations.
So, my question would be, is the game worth a purchase or would you say i am better off with another game?
Was the multi player actually ever included in the game afterwords?
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-02-17 01:27:35

The multiplayer is included in the game as a beta and it has a lot of maps to play on, plus the potential for creating a lot of new content. It's unfortunately a game that hasn't really had the attention it deserves from the community, I suspect because David greenwood is far better at writing code than he is at writing game manuals, meaning that a lot of the more complex aspects of  time of conflict never got run properly, including the multiplayer, and a lot of the more complicated campaigns such as the startrek one. Indeed I confess that while I was relaitvely okay with 1.0 of the game, the more complex features of version 2.0 aren't something I've got into.

What I'd advise doing is downloading the demo version and trying it out. If you can work through the demo, get good out of playing the smaller maps  and tutorials then you'll likely enjoy the full game.

it's really very well designed and actually a game that is sad  had the attention it deserves.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-17 01:47:30

Why purchase this game, tactical battle is excelend game engine. Just one can create any map pack set in world war 2 and maake good campaign with interesting mission, and this can be better than time of conflict.

2018-02-17 07:45:30

yeah, I never was able to get into the multiplayer thing myself; not sure I wisely paid 30 plus dollars, though I hoped I had.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-02-17 14:06:52

This game looks grate, but the manual is too complicated to me at least.

2018-02-18 06:37:38

The multiplayer worked for a bit after 2.0 got released, but stopped working at some point. I actually haven't played this game in a long time, so don't really think it was worth the money. It really does have great potential like dark said but needs a bit of work in my opinion. I love strategy games, but the way TOC is designed is just too complex. You can't keep track of everything (not sure if the bit of graphics maybe help, but with just audio it's not practical). The other thing is you basically just make units who can attack or bombard, and that's all they can do. So you just move them around and tell them to attack other units or cities, which is fun for a while but I tend to lose interest after some time. Tactical battle is a lot more interesting since units can have different skills, which makes it more strategic for me. I don't know of any modern TOC-style map packs, but anyone with enough time and creativity can make one. You might want to try age of warlords (one of the map packs on TB), it's a somewhat similar concept but with a medieval fantasy setting.

2018-02-18 16:41:20

@Zack, several of the v2.0 units were intended to change gameplay, e.g artillery units that could bombard citieis from elswhere or units like space  in the startfight version that could be sent to star systems and then start making units of their own.
The basic concept is great, to have a map where you really can! handle really large numbers of units all taking their turns, the problem is that the most efficient way to play I found was the v1 play, which was stick all units on roming, wait until you found an enemy, find the nearest unit to it and wail away.

I do think the game has amazing potential,  both strategically and in terms of what might be created with it, after all it has ssome truly amazing systems such as the ability to know the nearest unit to the current one, but the game would need some good tutorials, especially tutorials that covered more complex gameplay concepts introduced in 2.0 which unfortunately aren't there at the moment.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)