2018-02-06 07:33:13

I hope that this post will encourage all of you that are current and upcoming audiogames developers.

I believe that if developers could take exsample on what a game can do and be for audiogamers.
Instead there are a lot of people complaining for what ever reason.

Here is two games that I think is the best of the best when it comes to present audiogames of today's audiogamers.

The first one would be Mannamon by vgstorm.com
When this title was released in 2016.
It had some great reviews and some not great reviews.
However the game became one of the best for audiogamers in a very long time.
The other game that comes to my mind is A Hero's Call by outofsightgames.com it's released was 2017.
Just like the previous game there are great reviews and not great reviews.

You see if developers would learn and take from each other on the games they created for all of us audiogamers then we would have some power house games then never before.

These are some of the ways that video games developers are doing things.
And sometimes they even work to together.

As I have stated A Hero's Call and Mannamon are my favorite audiogames that I have played in a very long time.
It would be neat to see these teams work on a game together.

2018-02-06 14:36:25

Excellent points raised, Psycho. I can say that it's kind of already happening, the developers working together that is. Manamon and other Vg storm titles were a collaborative effort between Aaron, Damien and sometimes Philip as well, three obviously very well know devs. Now that Out of Sight has released A Hero's call, there's always another adventure, no pun intended, that could be released as a collaborative effort between devs. Mainstream game devs do it all the time because they all know each other. We can kind of say that about audio games, but let's just say that Aaron finished Manamon halfway into the development process of what is now A H C.

2018-02-06 16:20:57

Here’s the problem. Many devs may want to work together, but most others, particularly younger devs, all have their heads up their asses, they all think they’ll be the next to hammer out the next ultra scrolling bloodshead killer survive the redspot battles power 420.0 mega adition instead of working together on a truely grand project.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-02-06 16:28:50

One other problem that Tom Ward always raised when this question of collaboration came up was individual  choice among developers of what coding language to use  as well as what conventionss within that language, since manifestly someone using python, someone using java, someone still using visual basic and someone using C++ will be coming at things from very different perspectives, though that is one area where Bgt has helped I think.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-06 18:37:34

Dark is right, coding language, coding conventions, and the experience and preference for each varies wildly from one developer to another.
Keeping teams of people together with various life commitments is also very difficult when everyone is working on a volunteer basis.

In theory the idea sounds great, but in actuality it is not nearly so simple;
sort of like if you decided to make an amazing painting by getting several volunteer artists to collaborate on it together.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2018-02-06 21:44:07

I'm not sure I even understand how people do this "collaboration" thing. But clearly it's just me.
... Ooooorrr, it could be the whole internet thing. Being able to work together in person would almost certainly help. But some people can do it the netly way, so I guess that can't be it. hmm sad

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-02-07 03:32:22

Cory, the thing with mainstream game devs and collaboration is that they do it for a living, and they can afford to do it for a living. Also, while not entirely true for the pc side, they are all on the same page as far as sdk's when they are developing these games, particularly for consoles. But Ian's right. You can't expect quite as much collaboration on a volunteer basis. Even with seasoned developers.

2018-02-07 04:32:34

I picture a bunch of cats having a contest to see who will turn up the dominant cat. They hiss and spit at each other, growl low in their throats, maybe take a swipe. By gawd, you will use camel case and you will learn to love it!

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-07 12:28:36

@Ironcross what is camel case exactly I've never heard of that in context of programmers or cats.

People also forget when they have the usual "we want games like mainstream games" winj that the entire operation of mainstream game development is corporate.

That is to say, a design team will actually design the  and all it's features. If people are lucky this design team is composed of actual programmers, gamers and people who care, but more often than not it's composed of sad coorporate execs and game design  more clearly based around demographics and previous sails records and very snooty assessment about the interlectual capacities of groups of potential audience members (sorry I really hate demographic thinking).

either way, whether the design is based around "We have this really cool new system to try which has a mechanic gamers will really enjoy", or "well this game is being marketed to fourteen year old boys so we need lots of blood and explosions and the one female character must show more skin than a zoo full of snakes at shedding time", a design document is drawn up.

This design plan then gets delivered to the programmers, who are essentially a bunch of people working eight hour days, and have about as little control over what actually happens in the game or how the final project turns out as a brick layer does over the design of the house they're working on.
So even though there is a hole bunch of programmers working on one project for six months or so for a solid eight hours a day, using the same language and coding and theoretically doing something awesome, in practice it's not the poor  who are largely responsible for what gets turned out.

This is %100 different from how indi games are developed, where the programmer and designer  one or two people, and where the project evolves and changes and develops as it goes on, but such is the corporate world (insert marxist rant on alienation of labour).

What I could see happening however, to be a little more positive, is  if a project was proposed using a system like github, where programmers would contribute to a project sequentially and where the design conventions such as language and coding structure were implicit to the system of collaboration itself, it might turn something out.
I've been looking at how games like flexible survival and corruption of champions have been developed, and what is happening there is quite astounding, so if something similar were possible for audio and enough people contributed  might get something done, though more likely something where additions could be made in a sequential, offshoot manner with many additional quests etc added as and when individual people worked on them, than a structured game.

More like audio Eamon than audio final fantasy.

Then again being as most of the people who likely would have  skills and inclination to work on something like that are already engaged on their own projects, it possibly wouldn't work out either.

And hay, development of Manamon, hero's call etc definitely shows that rpgs in audio are moving forward very nicely.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-07 14:27:38

Lol. Camel casing is the act of lowercasing the first word then uppercasing the first letter of the second word in a variable name, not that that affects the program in any way shape or form, but it's the way I like it to look so you all must do it! lol That's the story behind that whole thing.

2018-02-07 15:40:01

I do wonder if a collaboration could be made by using something like bitbucket, or github. I know bitbucket can allows you to create private repos for free, while github is more oriented in open sourcing

Paul

2018-02-07 16:57:58

@dark Yes, what Jack said. Also, I find it funny because apparently the NVDA team have this review process, and if your var names and stuff don't match up with the rest of the code, they won't put your addon on their official community page. Like, OK, whatever dude, the damn code runs, its fine. That's why if I ever made an addon, I'd just publish it myself on my own server and hand the link out.

I could see auditing code for malicious intent, or efficient use, etc. like, OK don't accept addons that are coded in such a way that they'd create a bottle neck, or those that may have memory leaks, but because they don't use the official python naming conventions? go fork yourself tongue XD #GitHubJoke

If I was ever on a development team, which there is no chance because I suck at coding, but if I was, I'd adapt my style to match the project's. For instance, whether to use camel case, or first letter caps for each var, capitals for classes, whatever it may be, indents / braces position. I'd take a look at it and note down how it was laid out and I'd follow that way of doing things, but probably a lot of other people wouldn't.

I say cats because I think their dominant matches are funny. If you ever see a cat get higher ground on another cat, its dominance. They're asserting they have a better tactical position. There's a lot of complexity to cat behavior.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-07 17:59:42

Here is another thing to consider about developing a game.
Even if developers don't want to collaborate with one another then here is how to still develop a game better then the previous game that was release.

First study the best newly release games.
How do you do this without the source code and the answer is this.
Listen to all the music, sound, and the gameplay.
Play the games through to see what makes the games the best.

Then when you begin to develop a game you add the things to it that you want to have in a game.
No matter of the type of game or the size of the game one thing remain the same if you want your game to be the best in the audio games world you have got to make sure that the sounds and music are smooth.
You want to capture the player imagination.

That is what haapens with me when I play Mannamon and A Hero's Call.
I get so caught up in the game.

2018-02-07 18:45:12

TL:DR praise good devs, shun dodgy ones, raise the bar

that's sort of subjective though, I mean, manamon, I don't like it to be honest, its OK, but its a rip off, that's a fact too its not just my opinion, its a rip off of pokemon, and there's no getting around that fact. Does it have some good elements to it, sure. I think its overpriced for what it is though. SO, Studying things like that, OK, so what if you study the wrong things, and decide it's OK to go around copying mainstream games and doing everything they do. I don't think that's very good for the audio games market.

The thing is, people are so desperate for new content, new games, and it takes the form of this almost fanaticism where as long as its not too buggy, they'll play it no matter what that developer did to bring that game to light. In the mainstream world, people get new games all the time. I mean, the PSN store is always flooded with stuff, even little things to tide you over until something big comes out, that's just fine, but here, we don't get that flood of things to choose from.

You know what's worse about Manamon, not the fact that it pretty much is a straight up clone of Pokemon, but the fact that the developer tried to hide it. That just burns me, and I can't believe I was stupid enough, and yes, I fell into the trap I just talked about above, but I did buy it. It was overpriced for what it was as well. I could have bought physical copies of pokemon games, then I'd have the legal right to use an emulator, then I could use the accessible emu with scripts and stuff to play it, and I'd be totally legit, what's more, I'd spend less than I did on Manamon too.

Price isn't the overarching factor though. I would have gladly paid $60 for A Hero's Call. I will shell out the dough if its warranted, but what I don't want to do is support developers whose morality is in question, which I have to wonder about Aaron Baker. His games aren't that captivating to me, I bought two of them, manamon and psycho strike. I tried the gate with a pirated key, and I chucked it. that game was so bad as to be ridiculous, the voice acting sucked, it had combat code right out of psycho strike, it felt the exact same, just different ambient sounds, different monster sounds. Now he's apparently developing for Leasey, yes, well, that pretty much made my point for me because I don't agree with that whole proposition. Admittedly, I don't know much about it, but i do know its apparently pretty expensive, coming in at about $300 for some scripts to help you with Jaws, which already is a boat load of money. Where do people think this money comes from eh?

Anyway, yeah, I will stand up for, support, buy from, and herald developers who work hard, are dedicated to supporting their products, are dedicated to helping their users who have trouble with their products etc. I will be just as quick to shun developers who do dodgy things, overprice their products time and time again, do not respond to the community's questions, sell out to the highest bidder, etc.

If we made this forum more like Reddit, where we plus 1'd people who do good work, like Joseph and Ian from Out of Sight Game, Liam from L-works and so forth, and we talked about the positive aspects when there was positive aspects to talk about, but we talked about the negative aspects when there was an overwhelming amount of things in the game that aren't satisfactory, I think it would send a clearer message that we will support you, but if you screw us over, forget about it, you won't sell another freaking thing around here. I kind of do wish we could be more like that.

Reddit is weird at times, but I love their up vote and down vote system. I wish we could have that for each title, if we liked it, up vote it, if not, down or just neutral. Neutral isn't good or bad, but down voting is bad.

I think if we want to see this steady increase in quality of our audio games like we've begun to see here in 2018, what we need to do is raise the bar a bit. What I mean by this is to not give attention to games that don't really deserve it. If we can collectively raise the bar, people will see that if they post shoddy work here, it won't get any attention, they'll either have to put some real effort in, or leave the arena, as it were.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-08 03:15:27

Brandon, valid points but I would like to half-disagree with you on Manamon. Yes, it may be a heavily pokemon-influenced game. But did he say it was all his very own ideas? No. Did he admit with no shame that he was influenced by Pokemon, he wanted an experience for us so he did it with as little actual copying as possible? Absolutely. It could be a clone, yes. But as long as it uses no copyrighted, trademarked content from the actual Pokemon series which it doesn't, we're fine. It's not like trying to sell crazy party, for example. Not to say I wouldn't buy a game like that, I absolutely would because of the time put into it, I just know that at its current stage it is quite impossible to sell that particular game. As for downvoting, this board did used to have a thumbs down for the karma system. But they removed that thinking it was better to have karma that could only go up. If it never went up, then chances are you weren't doing too good. As for Leasey, that was no silent auction. The developers of that got pushed in to what seemed like, what I could honestly say, a fine games distribution hub of sorts if done right. But it seems to have fallen through because, quite obviously, games are not their main focus. And I do remember Looloo saying on Twitter that she doesn't develop anymore because of a lot of the attitudes here on this forum, I'm not calling anyone out individually here but just look at posts about Crazy Party vs Brain Station in the Why do people Crack Games topic and you'll see exactly what I'm hinting at. While I do agree that some games, none that I'm pointing out specifically, could have more emphasis on quality and overall design, we really ought to take a look at ourselves first. Keep in mind, Aaron was, by and large, a one man band. A college student probably with no other line of work yet, mind you. Remember where we started, Paladin didn't even have footsteps, and it was only later that it had the wall sounds we know from Manamon. He definitely did not have anything resembling a lot of money to throw around. For what it's worth, I say the acting in The Gate isn't half bad. Is it a clumsy game at times? Yes. Are there cheap ways to die in the game *random rocks taking away half your health on a whim* yes. But am I going to shame the whole damn game No. Partly because in the midst of developing Manamon, the Gate was a side project and we didn't even know it! And there was also no wildly successful kickstarter campaign to fund Manamon like there was the other fantastic game that is A H C, so keep that in mind.

2018-02-08 03:56:15

I can't say I have a stake in this thing because I don't. My products I've bought from VG storm all have worked, etc. but, I can't condone the complete and utter lack of support I've seen here.

I can't speak for the rest of Leasey, but as I understand it, the gaming section is one part of what was meant as a modular system. However, I don't think any game should be developed to be exclusive to one screen reader. Now, before someone hops on the xbox versus play station thing, that's different, that's publishers making a choice, or Sony or Microsoft reaching out to publishers to make deals. I don't necessarily agree with it, and I wish all games could be played on all platforms,  but I understand it. This thing though, I don't understand. A screen reader is preference, sure, but there's more I could factor into it. For one thing, if I personally wanted to, I could go out and buy a license for Jaws, but not in cash, at least, not straight from my bank account, I got bills and stuff too, so that means I'd have to put it on a credit card, and I'd be paying it off for a while. Then you add the SMA on top, is it doable, yes, is it optimal, not really. Now, me personally, I about dislike Jaws about as much as its possible to dislike a product, but your mileage will vary. Everyone should be able to use whatever access solution works for them, and if Jaws works for you, great. So, I don't think its right for Leasy to be a thing, just as I wouldn't think its right for NVAccess to come out with some new games module that hooks into NVDA in such a way that other screen readers will not work with it, or it relies on a copy of NVDA to be on the system / running.

If you'll notice, Jamie, formerly of NVAccess, now of Mozilla, has developed Osara in such a way that it works with MSAA, that means you can use Osara with any screen reader capable of dealing with MSAA. This is good, because if you want to use it with Jaws, go ahead, system access, right on. This is the right attitude to have, develop your products so that its independent of what access solution the person is using.

I fall in line more with the FOSS mindset than the proprietary everything one for sure.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-08 23:17:06

Since the topic of Leasey games has been brought up I must ask this question.
What about how developers make English translator packs for NVDA for those non English games?
I don't see them making any translator pack for JAWS.

2018-02-08 23:29:55

Well, there's a few things there. First off, anyone can go download NVDA for no charge and use it to play that game, while using Jaws for everything else. Now, is that optimal, no not really, but its a lot more doable than it would be if that person were an NVDA user and that game or translation pack were exclusive to Leasey. They'd have to buy Jaws, then go buy a subscription or however it works, then take advantage of the service. Also, one thing about it, NVDA addons are flexible because they use the power of the Python language, while Jaws scripts, I can't speak for much as I've never tried to code in it, but its proprietary, their own in-house production, and it will have limitations due to that. For one thing, it might not be able to call on external libraries, or it might not be able to open network sockets and so forth. I honestly don't know, this is outside my area of expertise. So, maybe its impractical, or impossible to make such a translation pack for Jaws, I really don't know. Certainly, if they can, they should do so.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-09 01:23:40

Translations for Jaws can be accomplished through dictionary files. I think people have done this for translating Swamp into languages that use characters past u+0256.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-02-09 01:34:05

Ah OK like I said, that area is outside my expertise, I was just speculating.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-09 04:00:05

I'll explain in the best way I can with as much as I know about the whole thing. Hartgen himself specifically stated he wasn't a big gamer, but they wanted the games module to introduce computer beginners to games. Because, like it or not, computer beginners may need the hand-holding interface of Leasey to start off with. That happens to be developed by a commercial business that is Hartgen Consultancy, so there's obviously not a desire to develop open source there. I do believe there is only so much you can do with msaa and for a software like Leasey to do its thing, it does need to hook into the screenreader in some pretty involved methods, from what I can gather. I don't think it would be technically possible to make that into a separate program that Nvda could speak to, I mean look at V-turbo and V-mouse. Two way communication rather than a direct communication line between the program and nvda. But I digress. The games module started out as a bunch of free games that were all very much available, Spoonbill games, RS Games - you name it. Little did we know, or maybe even Philip for that matter, that when he sold q9 off, the game would become exclusive. Because after all, weren't all the games included not anything you could call exclusive to begin with? so imagine our surprise when we find that q9's future is to remain exclusive, we probably weren't prepared for the reality that Philip was basically selling the rights to the game. Then came the wave of exclusive games. And to be honest, I don't think Looloo had her mind set on the games being exclusive, since there was some thought put into making the games module a stand-alone distribution hub, but nothing official ever came of that yet. Perhaps with more games using account-based registration now is as good a time as any for a revival of that discussion, who knows.