2018-02-03 15:51:47

Hi,
I am not sure who might want to try to make this, but I don't think it'd take too long to get the basics up and running.
I was on YouTube yesterday and came across the Ultimate Epic Battle simulator.
I ended up laughing my head off, and I think this might be able to be done in audio but cooler, as I think it'd just require some rather basic pathfinding AI and nothing too nuts, I could be wrong though. Oh, and the only name I came up with was audio battle simulator so yes it's silly.
The main idea of this game is it would definitely be moddable, maps, weapons and units.
You'd have units, although I don't exactly know how this works I think you set movement speed and attack power, and sounds and such for each one. What makes the game nuts is you can temporarily modify a unit's movement speed or attack power or health for a battle. well imagine taking this further, set up a group of soldiers on one side of a map to patrol, while the others near the top defend. Or, imagine featuring the idea of scripting, then things could really get interesting, although for the most basic, I think it's just attack, movement speed, health, and sounds such as pain sounds and such. Same with weapons you'd set up their swing sounds, their impact sounds and such. I don't know how units with firearms works though, but I know they exist.
The main idea is you have a map, x and y, maybe up and down as well, you could use a keystroke that lets you choose a unit type from several categories, and the number of units, for that side. Then you do the same with the other side, or maybe you could have multiple sides of units. I also think it'd be cool if you could put more than one type of unit on a team because you could potentially have alliance type things. Then you let them just have at it, it's all AI based although you can actually possess a unit or maybe even group of units for even more silliness, like running away or trying to join in the mayhem yourself. I've seen serious stuff like romans vs soldiers, but I've seen some really silly stuff like 100 chickens vs 100 penguins, or, and I kid you not, 1000 santas vs 1000 zombies. There was also 250 santas vs 1 zombie, the guy took control of the zombie and started to move around the map to see how long he'd survive. Then there was an ultimate superhero battle, 8 teams of 1000 different types of hero units each, and at one point we had the venoms going after the spider-men, or a spiderman running away from a group of groots. I don't really know what happens when it comes to units running away and such, how that works.
Then you've got the modifiers before the battle. Want to put a group of soldiers against one mad, superpowered chicken running really fast? Have atit. Put 100 t-rexes vs a tortose with slow movement but massively damaging attack power? Yep. So even though a unit's bass damage might be 5, if you want you can set that type to 10 just for this battle.
While the game I've seen on YouTube does, have audio for the units, people have done star wars mods but forgot to put lightsaber sounds in, so I'd love to do that but as a mod, not as a default unit.
During the battle you can switch modes, such as put the perspective on one team so you can whitness it from their point of view, or you can put it in cinematic mode so you can basically hear the whole thing around you. I think for an audio version of this, you'd also want another mode that's a smaller field of view that lets you hear a few units at once, and of course keystrokes to see how units are doing. The game is also in stereo. As said before you can also possess a unit if you want to as well, to either help or hinder a team, or try your hand at battling or running away if you really want to.
I can imagine some cool maps though, from the very basic open battlefield to a map with a breakable door,or a group of rings, each with a breakable door and you'd put some units in the outer areas, some good guys in the inside areas, and hold your breath as the bad guys take to breaking down the barriers and then, it's humans vs whatever. Imagine having four areas each with a different type of bad guy outside them and breaking in to battle some humans. I don't think somethign like this was included in the original game.
Another thing I thought about was having a map where you put some grasss and concrete at the bottom, and some metal 100 feet up, and then you put some units at the bottom area, below a gap. You set these units to wait until something gets in range and then attack, while the top ones start moving along and then camacarsi jump into the fray at the bottom, assuming they don't die if they hit concrete, so for that you could increase resistance of those units temporarily.
So, in summary:
Moddable experience, teams of units, run a basic AI pattern to go at each other. Have sounds as well. It'd probably be best to use a random-type string so that the weapon hits aren't just one noise, so say you have a sword with four different hit noises it'd pick between them.
I have lots of ideas of how a map editor could work as well, or even placing units. The only thing I don't know, is how the game spreads out units, because I've seen people place millions of units on one team before. So, this is basically a timewaster, but could be a lot of fun to watch some silly battles.
Any thoughts?

2018-02-03 20:17:43

Wow! And if it would be powered by the audio engine like AHC, you could create pretty cool cinematics with this. Really cool idea!
Looking forward to this.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-02-03 20:19:48

Sounds silly and fun! Aprone did something sort of like that with Community Feud, but nowhere near as much as what you're thinking. I wouldn't have a clue how to program something like that though.

2018-02-03 20:57:43

w that game is awesome,  you can place 100000  chickens vs 1  zombie, and then, guess who will win?    well i know who will win but i won't tell ya.

or you can place like 999 or how many you want WW2 soldiers vs      999 knights guess who will win again?

2018-02-03 21:11:01

Hey all, aaron your idea is no where silly, it's awesome! i love battle simulators like totally accurate battle simulator, ultimate battle simulator and beast battle simulator, i like them all and would be absolutely greatefull to who will make such game!

2018-02-03 22:16:37

Hmmm.
I guess this could be one of these simple bgt projects where you just walk about on a 2d grid and bash things.
I know a few such games exist, sounds like a 1 shot wander to me.
Something that has you use the arrows to find things hit space bar to kill and after you smash a couple things you win and go away.
By itself its a silly idea, so if it was to be part of something, maybe I'd bother playing it not sure how it would hold up on its own, could do as a beginner project in python.
So simply a bit of panning, a few wav files, play sound if this key is pushed, simple stuff like that.
If that was to be any more it would have to be more interesting than a battle sim.
Ultra power is probably as close as you can get to that or disafio mortal.
Even if ultrapower wasn't a bad word because of all the drama I can't say when I got disafio that I even bothered playing to long.
Wander down the street, go in and out of buildings, go down an alley, bash someone to death, die, quit and delete the game.
I basically had my fill in 2 hours.

2018-02-03 22:17:31

Hi Aaron.
This sounds like a blast! I might give this a go if I have the time. This does sound a very silly time waster, exactly what we need around here lol.
Coding the game then the map maker and different types of units would take a while, but once it's done it would be worth it. A nice touch would be to have it cross platform, especially for mobile devices.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-02-04 02:06:30

Hi.
Lol I actually had the same thought of this beeing an audiogame some months ago, but never really looked into how it could be made accessible.
Thing is that, when you have multiple thousand units on the battlefield, you need a damb high ram to get a fluent game play, and I don't know if everyone on here who wants to play with big armys would be willing to invest in new ram chips.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-02-04 04:20:56

Hi,
@Crashmaster: that would probably be how it'd work when you possess a unit, but part of the fun of this one is watching AI units battle it out, with a handful of different views so you could view from a team's point of view, or a unit, or view a cinematic-type rendering, etc.
Still wondering if any dev would like to try to get something like this off the ground even if the first version might not work with thousands of units.

2018-02-04 04:52:26

That is actually a point simber.
I have 4gb of ram, on my laptop, but while I could get gaming grade everything the weight and size is just over kill.
Even when I get a new system its probably going to have between 8 and 16gb ram and no one will be buying extra ram just for a game.
Ofcause there is the game engine to concidder.
Tactical battle for example can handle quite a lot of units, but eventually its buffers get full of units and events, the engine can't handle it and so it falls over.
Not everyone will have the best sound or video either.

2018-02-06 13:42:01

Hello
From a developers POV this is quite easy to do in terms of the basics.
I could code the following things in a day:
a game with a 2d map of enemy verses allies, you choose your enemy numbers, your choose your allied numbers, you set them about the place, and say fight. the two come together and then blam battle.

The thing I hate about aarons idea is it is exactly the sort of thing I'd love to code, and would start with, ok lets do x. now lets add y, and z, and p, and ,q, and r, and are we ever gonna release this thing?

Never the less, if you really really want this game, I'm happy to  make it.

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2018-02-06 18:44:22

I'd love something like this.

2018-02-06 21:00:04

I like this idea, as well. I'd like to see it, get real complex, like, setting how accurate units are, how smart they are, and the like. Say a unit fires a grenade, a dumb unit might hang around, while a smarter unit might try to run from the fire. Of course, it would be awesome to be able to customise everything about a unit, map, and, if you're feeling particularly ballsy about coding it, vehicles, and turane, that would affect how fast units move towards their target, and how long it takes the enemies to recognise. Weapons should  be able to have  random sounds for firing up close, from a medium perspective, and from afar, as well as impact sounds, all randomisable, the ability to set different reload sounds, and for guns, bullet casing dropping, ricochets, and miss fires.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-02-07 03:36:48

Heya
Ok, leave this with me and I'll see what I can come up with.
smile

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2018-02-07 04:01:50

@dardar Would you be adding in mods and stuff like that too? That's 1 of the bigger features of that battle sim thing is the fact that people are able to make units and enemies of their own.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-02-08 23:08:16

I love the idea of an audio battle simulator. If it gets developed, I would truly appreciate that.