hey here is an update. Orbit reader 20 is back on sale. I bought one. got it in the mail. tested, everything works great! I'm giving this first one i got to a friend who is blind who lives in my area, as a thank you for a personal favor he did for me though. When the low cost braille me display is out next month, I'll get one of those because I want to see how its faster refresh rate and cursor router buttons are on that display. Braille me will be sold by national braille press. It is made by innovision in India.

Thumbs up

i have a question. i am going to use the free zamzar file converter service online to convert a bunch of old word97 doc files to the new modern docx file format. now my big question, is there some sort of batch converter that will take 40 or 50 docx files and translate them into ueb brf or brl digital braille format for reading on the orbit reader20 or braille me braille display?

Thumbs up

Nice. Thanks for the update. This is really great news...

Best regards SLJ.
If you like the post, then please give it a thumps up.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Happy gaming... :D

Thumbs up

yes i spent yesterday reading for 8 hours straight with the orbit reader 20. i was reading a book. i used send2braille to turn a word document into a brf digital braille file in english ueb grade2 braille. so spent 9 or so hours just reading and reading. Battery was at 100% when i started reading. after 9 hours of reading, the battery was only down to 70% on orbit reader 20. so i would say you will most likely get 30 to 35 hours of straight up constant reading and note taking on a single battery charge with the orbit reader 20.

Thumbs up

I was wondering if anyone played with the lt.bat file in the send-to-braille folder. It is supposed to let you change some settings so you can send translated braille files directly to an external storage medium, such as an SD card. I've tried to make this change, but wasn't successful.

I attack with the savagery of a thousand piranhas.

Thumbs up

I wrote to a few developers asking them to add a easy simple dialog box to send2braillle. with a dialog box, we could choose translation tables and a number of other options, this would make editing bat files unnecessary.

Thumbs up

That would help for sure, as the documentation is quite lacking to say the least. I tried setting the target value for my SD card, but still don't get the translated file sent to it.

I attack with the savagery of a thousand piranhas.

Thumbs up

Post 26, I'm interested to see the BrailleMe. I've heard not so good things like bad refresh rate from these cheaper displays. Has anyone tried using them with their phones or anything like that besides reading books, to see how well they function in a real-time environment?

Thumbs up

34 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2018-06-05 03:31:38)

very interesting and.. this is just hope! i actually just bought mine.
what about winTrans? can anyone explain how translation and back translation works...  and how tables are made? that would be very useful

Thumbs up

Have any podcasts been produced which demonstrate the Orbit Reader? I am seriously considering getting one, since I've heard a lot of rave testimonials. Plus I want to support the budding low cost Braille display market. I want to get an idea of it through a review, though. Does one exist yet?

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

Thumbs up

36 (edited by TJT1234 2018-06-11 00:36:14)

I don't think Wintrans has been updated in over fifteen years.

Thumbs up

hi, to post 35:

I wish I would know when mine was shipped or would be shipped. Yes, I placed the order, but I have no idea if they got my money because I just saw that the payment had been successfully authorized last week after I actually posted here. There is a difference. You might get messages from the bank and even confirmation from your balances saying that 470 dollars (yes, this is because shipping is included) were deducted but this does not mean they indeed have your money there. It just means that the bank can approve that payment because the funds were enough indeed, ETC.
and if they are made on an order by order basis. If so, it would have been nice to know how long would that actually take because its been a week and I have got no news at all.

to post 36. Wintrans is indeed a gui front for nfb trans, but I think the core translation engine has just reached its 20th birthday.. so what are people exactly using then for braille nowadays?
I think that now I do understand how tables work.. they do have something like a definition, consisting of a pair of words separated by any kind of sign like
wh=which
)=with

and so on and so on. But that is for say, american grade 2 braille and not for other systems. But now i know just a bit more and i always wondered how people would create or make their own braille tables. I think looking at the computer braille reference charts that are in the orbit manual helps to understand some, because for example the st contraction, or the literal american slash in spanish is an i acute (í) character. And who knows what else in other parts of the world... so yeah.

Thumbs up

Hi.
The Braille tables seems to be different for each country. Not the letters, but all other characters and especially the contracted Braille. I'm not sure on how to make a Braille table, but one of my friends who is a totally Braille geek knows that for sure. Should I ask him how to do that?

Best regards SLJ.
If you like the post, then please give it a thumps up.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Happy gaming... :D

Thumbs up

Nowadays, most people use products from Duxbury, but there is a new product for producing US braille called BrailleBlaster.

Thumbs up

SLJ, I would really appreciate that . Last time as far as i knew NVDA lacked support for some custom braille tables, and we are in need of that capability (spanish contractions or stenography as they are known here are practically non-existant in liblouis) which I guess would be addressed soon since i saw some recent tickets that had to do with it, or there is an add on already out for using custom tables, not sure.

Thumbs up