2018-02-24 21:24:15

Boy, am I really pissed off!

Some people or their brats are fricking jerks! Today, while walking home from Publix with the week's groceries, some kids ran past me and snatched my cane out of my hand and took
off with it. I just sat down where I was and called the police to file a report. I have no illusions in that the kids will probably never be caught or
my cane recovered, but I wanted to file the report anyway. I was going to call a cab after the police left, but they offered to take me home, so I accepted.

I logged on to Ambutech's web site and ordered a new cane, actually I ordered two canes
so I'd have a spare as I have none now which means that even getting around the apartment community is going to be a challenge.

I tried calling Aira to see if they could help until the new canes arrived, but they said that it is their policy not to be a replacement for basic mobility
skills, so unfortunately they couldn't help me in this situation. I didn't argue, I can understand that doing something like that could be a huge liability
problem for them.

I hope Ambutech is reasonably quick in delivering my order, it's going to be a long wait otherwise.

2018-02-25 00:01:33

That is bad Orko, that is verry bad, cause kids if they took your kane took it so smack people in the head or in other body parts.
And they probably know you are blind or something cause they saw you alot of times with it or something like that.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-02-25 02:07:58 (edited by Orko 2018-02-25 02:10:47)

I doubt they stole it to use it as a weapon or anything like that, they more than likely simply thought it would be funny to take a blind person's means of getting around safely. It wouldn't surprise me if all they did with it was to disassemble it and throw it away so as not to get caught with it.

2018-02-25 23:16:49

Probably you are right, but in my country, they like to stole from blind people or people with motorik problems.
Well, I am happy cause tomorow and twesday the schools will be closed because it is too cold here and I eskaped from my music teacher.
Today I had fun with Alexa on my phone, I just discovered it works ok, not with all the things, only with basic ones, but a good test before I will get mine.
And I am curious, what is better, the ecow dot or google hom mini?

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-02-25 23:39:54

That depends on whether you use Amazon or not. Since I have been a long time customer of Amazon, the choice for me was easy, so I got an Echo. But if I hadn't been an Amazon customer, I'd have probably purchased a Google Home.

2018-02-26 06:13:10

I haven't tried the google home myself, the echo dot was a christmas present from my brother to my lady and I back in 2016, though I will say with the echo dot what is impressive are the alexa skills, and how well those translate to google home i'm not sure.

@Orko I'd like to say I'm surprised but I'm really not. My mum once got very irate at kids deliberately chucking devil bangers in front of her guide dog, ---- no actual damage and luckily said dog was so relaxed she didn't even notice the pop, but obviously said kids thought it was funny to see if they could scare the guide dog and potentially injure the blind person relying on it.
Frankly this is one reason I moved out of Nottingham where my parents live and have no intention of moving back.

In the Uk at least I can say ordering a new cane would be comparatively quick, I also always kept a spare one just in case indeed I still do  those few occasions I'm not out with my dog.
I do have a similar but rather more amusing cane story though. Once In newcastle I was getting on the underground train, ---- what is called a metro or a subway train in other parts of the world.

I was rather late so walked fairly briskly from the escalator to the train, I heard the ping which meant the doors were closing just as I reached the train. This would normally have been fine because the doors have a sensor so if they close on a solid object they spring back open, which would've let me get on.
Only problem? The doors didn't close on my hand and spring back open, but on my cane. The cane itself was fine, but was stuck in the rubber edging of the doors, and because my cane was too thin to trigger the auto sensor there it was, sticking out of the door at the side of the train.
I tried to pull it out but that was no good, and just then the train started off so I let go pretty sharpish and off my cane went up the line!

I'm standing there wondering what the heck I should do, stuck in the middle of newcastle without a cane and pretty much expecting to never see my cane again, when two minutes later a chap appears and hands me my cane back.

Apparently he'd seen what happened and the cane made it up the train to the next station, he grabbed it and  back and delivered it to me.

A very nice chap, also a very lucky cane big_smile.

Needless to say if I thought the doors were closing on an undderground train from that point on I always made sure to put an actual part of my body in the doors not my cane big_smile.

As for me, yesterday I went speaker shopping and bought some pretty amazing cambridge audio quad speakers. It's a very expensive set, indeed I paid a rather scary amount of cash out of my savings, on the other hand these are a vast improvement over my former logitech ones, indeed they're probably the best thing you can get in terms of speakers for a living room and I am hoping that like my former logitech set they'll last  at least 10 years, hopefully as long as 15 (I got my logitech ones in 2004). Plus because richer sounds, the place where I bought said speakers are a very nice shop they gave me a discount on a couple of extra speakers we can stick into the kitchin, which will be really useful  we're washing up.

We need to wait for the hifi place to get them in and then for them to be installed, but it'll be great to finally have speakers back.

As for other stuff, nothing majorly of note accept learning a bit more music, continuing with words of radience, which is now getting to be amazingly, awesomely awesome a lot of playing of land of Livia, which is great to do while reading.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-26 12:13:12

One of the biggest problems with kids these days is lack of supervision. These days it takes income from both parents to raise a family so gone are the days where one parent stayed home, and most people don't bother with arranging some place for their kids to go after school where they'll be supervised, so the kids pretty much run wild and often get away with almost anything they decide to do regardless of what it is, legal or not.

I'm thankful that we had a stay at home parent while I was growing up, though that didn't prevent some things from happening that shouldn't have, so we were supervised which probably kept us out of all sorts of trouble we'd have gotten into.

2018-02-27 15:48:19

@Orko
Yikes! I'm sorry about your cane. I would call what those kids did rather cruel. It's not only the lack of supervision, but also a lack of understanding how other's feel. People are so focused on teaching career skills to their kids that they forget to, or don't care about, teaching them basic life skills. Like how to properly function in a society, for example. I hope your cane arrives soon.

2018-02-27 17:15:52

That and the state stepping in where it has no damn business, telling parents its not OK to spank their kids, well, look what that lead to. Spanking isn't abuse, and you can do all the timeouts and stand in the corners and take this and that away, but it just doesn't work. You need to give them a line, a hard line in the sand and this is what you don't cross. When they have that, then the chances you will have to spank them go way down, like in my entire childhood, I think I was spanked like maybe 4 or 5 times, not that often.

I just saw a video on facebook yesterday, and its not like this is a new thing, but it was a compilation of kids acting completely insane, talking back to their parents and so forth, yelling, screaming, getting violent. And these were younger kids, not teens. Actually the parents were very calm, I suspect because they were the ones filming it but still.

SO you use spanking as a corrective tool, a motivator, I mean I can see how people see it as barbaric, its not a viewpoint I can't see both sides of, because you sort of are using pain as a motivator, and you are using fear of that pain being repeated as a means of keeping the kid in line. I do feel its necessary despite that, however. Also, parents need to take a more active role in just figuring what is going on in their kids' lives. I think the problem is now that we're starting to see parents of the millennial generation which is part of the problem. Another part is lack of supervision. You may end up having a kid grow up into a real piece of shit adult if you don't do something now, but then again, I've seen some bratty ass kids grow up to be decent people, the point is that you can't predict how things will turn out, you can't rely on them coming to their senses. You need to start discipline young, and no, all discipline does not need to include spanking, that other stuff has its place too, but you just can't rely on it. I mean, fear does kind of keep kids in line. It's not like its a daily fear like I'm scared of my parents, scared to be around them, its more a knowledge OK I better not go up to them and scream fuck you, or guess what...

I think the reason kids freak out so bad these days is because of lack of that fear, they literally have nothing to be afraid of because their parents either talk calmly, or yell back, they take stuff, but the kids probably get it back anyway because they just keep going at the parents until they give in. It should never get to that point, it should be stopped well before that point, and young, like as a baby even, yoo want to teach them no and stuff as a baby, so by the time they reach toddler stage and getting into everything, now I"m not suggesting spank the kid for running around and being a kid, but its like for the worst of the offenses.

Having a kid so far out of line like that just makes things so much worse in the home. The parents probably already have stressers of their own, maybe they have financial burdens, maybe they're worried about losing their job because the see the writing on the wall, and they think they'll be replaced soon, whatever, life has its stressers, then you add that into the mix, the bratty kid? It makes things exponentially worse. No you dread coming home because it's gonna be chaos, you dread waking up in the morning to get them up and out the door to school, work becomes a haven, an escape, and the presure doesn't just go to a certain point and stop, it mounts every day, its unhealthy, and psychologically devastating. It may even get the parents fighting among themselves and lead to a divorce that then creates a ton more problems, so its a cycle that needs to never get started, and if it seems like its becoming an issue, steps need to be taken to end it..

Now I hear you saying, but you're not a parent, how could you know anything about raising kids? Truth is, there's a lot I don't know about it, and I have no desire whatsoever to step into fatherhood in my life. I can only draw conclusions from my own life and observations of my surroundings, some of which include parents who handle their kids badly, and parents who handle their kids exceptionally well. I don't think it takes any special qualifications to share observations, just a methodical approach and the attempt to remain objective, and see both sides of a point.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-27 18:06:33

Yup! When I was growing up, spanking was always there, hanging over your head, and once you've been spanked and felt the pain, you are far more likely not to misbehave than you would if you had never felt that kind of punishment.

I'm thankful the threat was there, like supervision, it probably kept me out of trouble I'd have probably gotten into if the threat hadn't been there.

@ ironcross32

Like you, I too decided that I didn't want kids.