2018-01-29 22:27:41

Almost forgot, @zakc93 anyone interested in increasing the number of winners can feel free to send any donations via paypal to nocturnalviolence @gmail.com.  While originally this was limited to the moderation panel, it has now become much bigger than we expected and the generosity is more than welcome and highly apreciated.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up

2018-01-30 17:37:02

Uh ... 18? Isn't this getting riddiculous? Others may want to do contests as well, and this basically forks out a copy to everyone who wants it. Also, an odd number like 15, or even such as 20, would look better.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

Thumbs up

2018-01-30 19:10:33

@LordLundin,
and praytell, what, precisely is so ridiculous about it?  that people are stepping up and being generous?  that we decided to start the contest to begin with?  That we're going to give it away for free and you had to purchase it?  It's no secret you don't like us; you need not voice it so often as we've gotten the point quite clearly.  Please, do yourself a favor and stop wasting so much effort.  thankfully, people who are of greater importance to the contest see it as we hoped they would, a good intention.  From Joseph on down to those who are entering there is gratitude and thanks.  Had I wanted it to be a matter of personal recognition I would have told the moderation panel thanks but no thanks and that I didn't want their donations, but I'm more interested in getting the game to as many as possible.  If others decide to do giveaways there are still plenty of people they can give it away to; I don't know if you saw the first post on this topic, but there are at least 30000 registered members and I know I'm not giving away 15000 copies by any stretch of the imagination.  Then there are those who aren't even members of the forum, who are blind or vision impaired, who will not be able to purchase the game; I'm sure there are plenty of possibilities if this is what you truly care about.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up +1

2018-01-30 19:58:14

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

Thumbs up

2018-01-30 20:09:06

Update:
thanks to donations, we're now up to 20 copies!  to those of you who have donated to our cause, I'm going to try and find a way to repay you at some point... I'm currently in the process of moving my family back to my home state of Texas, so I can't be exceptionally creative right now, but I will at some point.  It's been an absolute pleasure working with you all, a humbling experience for a myriad of reasons, most of which I'll make clear a little further along the way.  Regardless, speaking for myself and my wife, we want to thank you for doing what you do.  I also happen to know that the out of sight team is very pleased with you as well!  Your generosity has not gone unnoticed and we will find some way to reward it!

to our contest participants, we're eagerly awaiting the first so we can start giving away copies to winners!  Keep those guesses coming, and make sure to tell your friends if they don't know already.

Thumbs up

2018-01-30 20:27:27

My guess is: 29712.

Thumbs up

2018-01-30 20:57:29

LordLundin wrote:

Uh ... 18? Isn't this getting riddiculous? Others may want to do contests as well, and this basically forks out a copy to everyone who wants it. Also, an odd number like 15, or even such as 20, would look better.

utterly ridiculous. Probably the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-31 01:02:49

Just a side note: as Nocturnus mentioned in post 1, there are over 30,000 registered members. If we could sell a copy of A Hero's Call to half of those, we just might be able to quit our day jobs and start developing games full time...which is good for everyone, most of all the gamers who would benefit from more regular releases. Frankly, I'm not going to complain if those sales come from giveaways or not, and I don't think anyone else should, either. I get the sense that something isn't fair because people who bought the game early lost the chance to get a free copy—but the way I see it, that just means that the people benefiting from this giveaway are that much more likely to be those who really need it—those without the funds or ability to purchase their own copy. I don't see the sense in griping about generosity, personally. It's a virtue, and should be commended. There is no shortage of people who could benefit from being gifted a copy of AHC. If someone hosts a giveaway and nobody enters—then it might be appropriate to start complaining about the ridiculous number of copies being donated. In fact, I'm all for testing that assertion. Let's keep having people give away copies, and see when people stop signing up, eh?

Thumbs up +2

2018-01-31 01:58:11 (edited by defender 2018-01-31 02:07:50)

You want it to be 20 copies to satisfy your brain lord London?
Than donate 40USD to the pool, problem solved. (smirk)
Besides, at least it's no longer unlucky number 13... tongue

And I know at least 5 or 6 folks personally that wouldn't be able to buy the game, but deserve it because they are decent, relatively respectful people around others.
And that's just me, and only the ones that can speak enough English to be understood, so yeah, 18 is not unreasonable, plus the audio gaming community extends far beyond audiogames.net, with major Mexican, Italian, French, Filipino, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Slovak, Swedish, Russian, Romanian, Iranian, Saudi, And Turkish communities, and those are just the ones I see allot.!

Thumbs up +1

2018-01-31 02:06:26

@lordLundin that is complete and utter  nonsense.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

Thumbs up

2018-01-31 02:13:44

I'll probably give away more copies in the future, once things stabilize for me. I had a laptop die, I know I said that a few times, but I ordered a new one that turned out to be defective, so I have to return it, hen go and get another laptop.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-31 03:13:25

@ironcross32, Joseph, defender and blindncool,
thank you all for your support.  I'm more than thankful, honestly, but I don't have the words to express what I'm feeling, and I doubt there's any other way to communicate it to all of you that'll do it justice.  I hope that someday, however, I can do something just as meaningful for you as well.

Thumbs up

2018-01-31 03:39:53

We've got your back, Nocturnus.

Now, let's not be so eager to show our love for what Nocturnus and the rest of the admins are doing that we jump down Lord Lundin's throat too readily. It's true, after all, that the fact this has grown to such a large giveaway is pretty ridiculous. The difference is, most of us see that as a good thing—a sign of the ridiculous generosity and goodwill of this community. If he doesn't share that perspective, it's his right to voice his concerns.

Thumbs up +2

2018-01-31 04:08:51

true enough, but he's a descenter in more ways than one tongue

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-31 05:03:33

He's a professional edgelord, he can take it.
Comes with the territory...

Thumbs up

2018-01-31 09:03:07

@Lord Lundin, fair enough if you think the contest is ridiculous, but I'm afraid you'll  to justify your opinions a little more completely than saying "this is ridiculous!" if you want people to take your view seriously
Why is it ridiculous?

This is likely why you've insited such an acrimonious response here, since basically your above post simply reads as a statement of feeling with which people disagree.
Your completely free to disagree of course and have a dissenting opinion, but remember this is a "discussion forum" and so you'll get much further with a rational argument than just effectively saying
"I don't like it  because I don't like it, end of story"

To everyone else,

Joseph Westhouse wrote:

Now, let's not be so eager to show our love for what Nocturnus and the rest of the admins are doing that we jump down Lord Lundin's throat too readily. It's true, after all, that the fact this has grown to such a large giveaway is pretty ridiculous. The difference is, most of us see that as a good thing—a sign of the ridiculous generosity and goodwill of this community. If he doesn't share that perspective, it's his right to voice his concerns.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Lord Lundin has stated an opinion, admittedly an opinion he possibly ought to have justified a little more, but there is nothing wrong with holding opinions so long as you don't harm other people with them, so no need for everyone to start riding the flame truck.

Lets not allow people's generosity to get spoiled here please.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-31 10:41:25

Wow, this is awesome. Huge thanks everyone who’s donated, if I could right now i would.

Thumbs up

2018-01-31 11:48:25 (edited by LordLundin 2018-01-31 11:54:50)

hahahahahahaha, should I even bother to disassemble your mess? OMG you guys are freckin' hilarious. Oh hell yeah let's do it!
No block quotes or any of that fine stuff here, because I'm lazy and because meh. Let's just do good 'ol copy pasting but seriously guys ... you can do better than this.

Nocturnus 77:
@LordLundin,
and praytell, what, precisely is so ridiculous about it?  that people are stepping up and being generous?  that we decided to start the contest to begin
with?  That we're going to give it away for free and you had to purchase it?  It's no secret you don't like us; you need not voice it so often as we've
gotten the point quite clearly.  Please, do yourself a favor and stop wasting so much effort.  thankfully, people who are of greater importance to the
contest see it as we hoped they would, a good intention.  From Joseph on down to those who are entering there is gratitude and thanks.  Had I wanted it
to be a matter of personal recognition I would have told the moderation panel thanks but no thanks and that I didn't want their donations, but I'm more
interested in getting the game to as many as possible.  If others decide to do giveaways there are still plenty of people they can give it away to; I don't
know if you saw the first post on this topic, but there are at least 30000 registered members and I know I'm not giving away 15000 copies by any stretch
of the imagination.  Then there are those who aren't even members of the forum, who are blind or vision impaired, who will not be able to purchase the
game; I'm sure there are plenty of possibilities if this is what you truly care about.

Point 1: I would've told anyone regardless of who did this that giving 18 copies away was riddiculous, for reasons that'll be more clearly, carefully explained down below. You seem pretty offended though, that wasn't my intention, really. However the attitude you're giving me certainly doesn't make me like you any better.
Point 2: what is riddiculous about this. Hmm, let's see. I said that other people may want to run their own competitions, and also be generous but in another way that maybe fansies their taste. Someone made a writing competition, I've had some ideas of different competitions too, but there's no point really if AHC is a comodity that can be thrown around - I certainly don't mind giving copies away - in fact I have already done so. But you, sir, are destroying the fun in the whole competition spirit IMHO.
Point 3: um, isn't Jim Kitchen registered on this forum or something? I don't know if he is, but that should give you a pretty damn good idea of what I'm talking about. Don't give me 30000 as an argument because it's invalid. Instead bring up the number of active posters / recent members, then start subtracting 1 ... 2 ... 3 ...
Joseph, how many people have registered a heros call so far?

Joseph 83:
Just a side note: as Nocturnus mentioned in post 1, there are over 30,000 registered members. If we could sell a copy of A Hero's Call to half of those,
we just might be able to quit our day jobs and start developing games full time...which is good for everyone, most of all the gamers who would benefit
from more regular releases. Frankly, I'm not going to complain if those sales come from giveaways or not, and I don't think anyone else should, either.
I get the sense that something isn't fair because people who bought the game early lost the chance to get a free copy—but the way I see it, that just means
that the people benefiting from this giveaway are that much more likely to be those who really need it—those without the funds or ability to purchase their
own copy. I don't see the sense in griping about generosity, personally. It's a virtue, and should be commended. There is no shortage of people who could
benefit from being gifted a copy of AHC. If someone hosts a giveaway and nobody enters—then it might be appropriate to start complaining about the ridiculous
number of copies being donated. In fact, I'm all for testing that assertion. Let's keep having people give away copies, and see when people stop signing
up, eh?

No, it is not unfair what so ever and my own generosity is not to be questioned. I bought the game to support it, I am able to and I have given away copies for free to people.
Also you seem to be thinking I'm griping about generosity. I'm certainly not, but um let's see, what about a bit of fucking spirit?
When christmas comes around, the tradition here is to sit in the living room together with the family while someone acts as santa claus and pulls gifts from under the christmas tree, reads the name out loud and then the person comes forward to retrieve their gift. Afterwards when all gifts are retrieved, each person opens a gift one at a time, going in a cycle from one to the other until all gifts have been opened, this gives people more opertunity to reflect over the gifts they get as well as what others get.
But what Nocturnus wants to do is to, on christmas eve, walk in to his metaphorical child and give him a gift while he's browsing the computer, then leave the room as the kid unwraps the gift alone. It's no style what so ever.
I only raised my voice because there is a way to do it better, with more grace and style. Let people run their various competitions, fun for everyone and no one is collecting massive amounts of donations to act like santa claus but instead smaller units give out gifts to other small units - yet again - making them more appreciated, and more fun.

Defender 84:
You want it to be 20 copies to satisfy your brain lord London?
Than donate 40USD to the pool, problem solved. (smirk)
Besides, at least it's no longer unlucky number 13...
tongue

Well, actually I was thinking about it, but realized that someone else's money might as well get thrown away for this mass delivery. Then of course Nocturnus had to spoil all the chances with his reply.
Also, about numbers. Remember what I said about style? There's a reason the Dragon Queen has 3 dragons, there are 7 dwarves in Snow White, and Lord of the Ring has 9 Nazguls. I don't really know about you, but I appreciate symetic harmony at least.

Dark 91:
@Lord Lundin, fair enough if you think the contest is ridiculous, but I'm afraid you'll  to justify your opinions a little more completely than saying
"this is ridiculous!" if you want people to take your view seriously
Why is it ridiculous?

Hmm, I don't know about my grasp of the english language, it's not as fluent as I'd like it to be sometimes, but I went back and looked over the original post that raised such an outcry, and to me it looks very clear. Maybe more people want to run their own contests, but with this massive giveaway by one person, there'll be less opertunity for people to do so, as there'll be fewer participants to join in, and I'd assume hardly none at all since those active on the forum here would've jumped on this competition.

I'm sorry if there was any confusion, but at least Dark and Joseph have some ... sense in actually questioning what the heck I mean, even though I was pretty clear if I do say so myself, and not jumping to conclutions. You guys rule and I really appreciate your rational and intelligent posts. I will thumb you up for that.
Cheers!

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

Thumbs up

2018-01-31 14:24:45

Hmmm, lord Lundin, I'm afraid I do not really see what your  driving at in the above post, or to be brutally honest what your gripe is here, indeed I believe either  language is more harsh than you intend it to be, since the above post comes across as dismissive and bordering on rude or I've misunderstood what exactly your point here is.

You talk about "competition spirit", this competition is a lottery, pure and simple and I don't really understand what is wrong with that.

Someone has started a writing competition, if you or someone else wants to start a different sort of competition, feel free to, indeed agnet would likely support you with news etc.

Likewise, if you read this topic, the number of copies available started at five and were a gift from nocturnus and Nightshade to the community. Then, other members of the staff decided to start chipping in for extra copies, now so are other people, which is how the number of copies has got as high as it has (indeed  Nocturnus is now a little concerned over how many lucky numbers :there will now need to beD).

If Lord Lundin you want to be generous and give people the chance to win copies of a hero's call, but don't want to add them into this competition, no problem, feel free as I said, indeed the number of posts in this topic definitely shows that  are more than 20 people out there who would like copies of the game big_smile.

As to people who aren't on this forum, well if you want to give copies to them, again, fair enough, but as this is an agnet competition run by two of our moderators, on the agnet forum, ---- well ever hearde the phrase charity begins at home? And it's not as if Agnet is just a small clique away from the main audiogames playing community big_smile.

Really Lord Lundin, I'm afraid I just don't quite understand what your problem is or why your so irritated about this, indeed as per usual I'd suggest everyone just calm down, step back and relax.

Getting into a blazing argument about the evils of generosity really is! ridiculous! big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-31 15:10:11

I just can't see the rationale behind this. I see two mental images in my head, one of me giving a homeless person a burger from McDonalds or Burger King, and them being thankful and smiling, and me giving them a surf & turf full meal red lobster good wine etc. and them giving me the finger and saying that's ridiculous. Pray tel, what is the threshold when generous becomes quote, ridiculous, end quote.

I actually think the Lundin posts are more in the vein of attention seeking more than anything else because I can't see one true point in any of them. Who loses, honestly, I just can't see it. The people who bought the game got the game. Out of Sight Games is therefore getting revenue from other sources, those who did buy it, and now those who are buying it from other people who win them in contests. SO they're happy because their game is a success and they can recoup on the expenses it took to make it, and hopefully start becoming profitable. The people are happy because people who couldn't afford to buy it, or who had parents who refused to buy it, now have a chance at getting it. So really, I don't see who loses here, and I certainly can't see any rationale behind this, otherwise like I said, attention seeking.

I also don't see the analogy of parents giving gifts to their kids while they're playing on the computer to be particularly apt.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-31 15:11:50

Heh, fine, I shall start my own competition after this one is over, though I doubt anyone will join. Mine is going to require a bit more than just a simple number, nothing super long but a bit heavier. I like when people work for what they get, or at least get a sense of victory.
I'm still not sure how you're misinterpreting my post so much, or I guess we have entirely different fundamental believes in which case I couldn't explain myself even if I wanted to. Also I'm not going to apologize for sounding irritated, since I received a huge backlash born from stupidity when people can't read and figure things out. I could try to explain myself using stick figure format, but it wouldn't change a thing - this competition is still going to run and it might even get up to 25 lucky winners out of 40 or whatever you have that'll receive the game. Not that I have an issue with that, I'd just like to see some more culture on this forum with different sorts of competitions but since this enormous handout is happening there'll be less of that.
Anyway I've said my piece. But for f***'s sake, at least do as Dark did and ask for clarifications before jumping to conclutions. Or you'll get these irritated asshole responses in return without any remorce from me.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

Thumbs up

2018-01-31 17:56:33

My guess is 4379.

I have been awaiting a game such as this for many years.  Due to medical expenses and an unplanned family move that we'll be making next month, things like games won't be in our budget for awhile.

If I do win, the game will be a nice distraction while I'm recovering from a surgery that I'll be having next week.

Good luck to all, and much thanks to those who  are sponsoring and running this contest. :-)

Thumbs up

2018-01-31 18:05:07

Last post I'm going to put on this topic.
@ironcross32 maybe the fault is within yourself for not seeing a rationale. Just maybe? Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's not valid. I've got a friend who disagrees with me to understand my reasoning, so I think it's your fault honestly. And that is that. You have your opinion, I'll have mine. I'm not trying to undermine yours so can you please just shut your fucking mouth already. I have no desire what so ever for attention from any of you, and your statement is just proving my point. You actually came with no valid points yourself, so there's that. For fucks sake grow up already.

Sorry for this rant, I'm absolutely 100 percent out now. Instead of giving me an opertunity to explain myself you jumped me like a schoolyard full of bullies. How fucking mature. Sorry for the cursing but I'm honestly pissed off. So yes, I guess you managed to accomplish that. Now, please, knock yourself out.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

Thumbs up

2018-01-31 18:11:54

@LordLundin,
First and foremost, if I have your attention, I'd like to apologize; I'm not exactly certain what it is I'm apologizing for, but it's clear you believe I've done something to you personally.  If you could clarify, I'll willingly accept whatever it is and we can move on if you're willing as well.  I won't hold any hoep that you and I will become good friends or anything of the sort since you actively dislike me, but I sure hope we can at the very least get along a little more effectively.  By comparison, I don't dislike you; truth is, I hardly know you, so can't make up my mind about you one way or another.
Next, I'd like to point out that up until now I've never heard the word ridiculous have any positive connotation; if that makes me stupid as you pointed out in post 96 then I guess I'll wear the shoe... I'm stupid.  Regardless, I'm not the only one who has pointed out to you that at many times your posts come across as rude, condescending, self serving, egocentric and narcicistic.  If this is the way you want people to view you, you're doing a great job.  If it isn't, you're going to have to take responsibility for it.  Whatever the case, I believe you to be inteligent and rather knowledgeable beside; I just hope others have seen this in you as well.  In short, I don't believe you to be an overly bad individual so much as a misunderstood one.  Perhaps this makes you angry?  maybe this is why half the time you feel the need to come across as some sort of tough guy?  I don't know, just guessing for the most part.
Finally, assuming you'll allow it, I want to extend any help you might need with your contest.  I can't stress this enough; for me it's a matter of getting the game into as many hands as possible in a legal manner so that people can truly enjoy it.  I remember feeling stuck when entombed first came out, and paying 42 dollars for it seemed rather absurd.  Obviously AHC is half that price, twice as massive, and just as wanted/desirable if not more so.  My intent was never to detract from any spirit or actively impeed others' hosting competitions of their own, and my motivation is , I can honestly say, as honest as can be.  I suppose it can be argued that I was less than creative with the contest, but you have to remember that originally I was only giving away five copies.  I never imagined Dark was going to jump on board, send an email to the whole mod staff, and that others would then be so interested in helping out.  Perhaps I should have said no; we can argue back and forth about that if you want to... I personally don't.  I just no I didn't want to seem unappreciative and accepted all donations for what they were, knowing that at the end of the day it was the devs and those receiving the game that were going to benefit, not I.
to conclude and show that I honestly harbor no ill will for you and hold no hard feelings or grudges toward you, let me reiterate that I stand ready to assist if you'll allow it, even with something as simple as writing out a news article on the front page of the site or anything else you feel will help promote your gesture of generosity.  Admitedly, you may just want me to stay out of it, and that's perfectly fine as well, but I wish you the best with your contest at any rate and hope it'll be even more successfull than this one!

Thumbs up +2

2018-01-31 18:29:24 (edited by afsilva90 2018-01-31 20:01:57)

Hey everyone!

I was born in the USA but my parents come from a Portuguese background.
I would like to participate in this groundbreaking contest. The number I would like to submit is the number 1990, since this number is the year in which I was born. I don't have a Paypal account, and as such I can't donate a copy of this game. Will this fact hinder my participation in this contest and in all other future contests as well or not?
May good fortune and kindness go with every person in this community, gamers and non-gamers alike! Happy travelling, heroes of Farhaven!
Best,
André

Thumbs up