2018-01-18 16:31:44

Hi,

I thought I would bring up Kallisti MUD for those who haven't played yet, as I think it is a very fun MUD with a lot of replayability. Essentially, you can choose between five base classes, those being the fighter, rogue, monastic, priest, and agic user. Once you have chosen your class, you can choose a specialty, such as a monk or bard, and eventually you can get ancestors, which will increase the stats of your characters. Checkout https://legendsofkallisti.com for the game, and https://github.com/hjozwiak/tintin-kallisti-pack for the pack I am writing with other players for the TINTIN client.

Take care, and happy mudding!

P.S. If you want to group with me, I have a level 50 Monk, named Soriyoma, and I generally lead in the night.

2018-01-18 17:24:27

Moderation!

Since I don't think we've had a topic about this mud I'll move this to new releases room.

One question I do have is what does this mud involve? Lots of rp? questing, exploring? hunting?
You've explained the class system but perhaps a little more information (including about screen reader access), might be helpful here.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-18 17:45:56

hi there
hmm, TINTIN? , never use that before, any idea how good is that client?
yeah the mud seams  nice so far, just type help blind, and you will see  list of toggles that you need to adjust.

2018-01-19 01:59:42

My appologies Dark, I must have hit the wrong key when I was changing the forum. There are quests in Kallisti, but they are generally higher level and hard to find. I primarily enjoy grouping with new players, or, given that I am trying to advance, meta my stats to make my character better.

2018-01-19 04:56:30

Hi.

@king gamer222

Is there a tintin soundpack for windows?

What sets this mud apart from muds like the hack and slash muds i've played a lot of?

I'm gone for real :)

2018-01-21 23:48:02

We are trying to get the soundpack for Windows, but we only have one tester that I know of, and nobody has opened an issue on the GitHub about it. Can you elaborate on the differences you are looking at in terms of hack n' slash MUDs, as Kallisti is the primary one I play nowadays?

2018-01-22 00:03:37

If quests are so rare, what is so good about this mud in particular?
Sorry to ask but there are several hacknslash muds around where you play a class and run around fighting monsters either solo or in groups. Usually combat is automatic and often fairly fast and revolves around getting gear together (sometimes covering resitstances and such), then hurling spells or abilities at your opponent until he/she/it drops.

Even among hacknslash muds there are differences. Aardwolf and erion both have pregenerated quests you can do, Aardwolf with rather more emphasis on these and on heavily balanced gear than Erion, Erion with more random collectables, minigames and an imho friendlier community.

Classic six dragons has a light crafting system and wilderness exploration, plus quite interesting combat that is not too fast pased so you can play tactically, also nicely detailed quests.

Alteraeon and cyber assault both have more complex combat with a lot more options than just hurling spells or whacking away until your enemy drops, plus both have serious amounts of quests to do and area to explore which is as much part of the game as the combat (alteraeon also has a major crafting element).

So, what distinguishes Calisty, particularly if there are few to no quests?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-22 13:55:03

Hello.

@king gamer222.

I've played a lot of muds and honestly get bored of them after a day or so.

I'm not sure if I just have a short atention span or if i just get bored of hacking and throwing spells like Dark said, at monsters.

What sets this game apart from the usual, level up,, gain one spell, find armour to make the character slightly stronger types of muds out there?

I'm gone for real :)

2018-01-22 15:13:16

I can play hack n slash myself if the writing and areas are good and if I progress relatively quickly so I'm not seeing the same thing all the time and get different things to do like quests, missions etc, especially if the combat requires me to interact a bit more rather than just an exercise in how quickly I can type "C lightning" or "kick", or hell just waiting until my random strikes hit enough, however as I said I'd want to know a little more about this one before putting my time into it.

2018-01-30 21:46:06

One of the things that got my attention to the MUD and thus has me as a long time player is the way you choose your specialty. You could go the traditional hack n' slash warrior with its specialties, or you could be the monk, which personally like the best, as you will never get hit at higher levels on account of dodge gear that you can get; this will make you an asset in groups, as you are put out front to take the brunt of the attacks. Or, you could, as you mentioned, be the mage and lob spells at random (not personally my cup of tea, but to each their own). The point is, you get choice when you are building out a character, and I like the grinding system that Kallisti provides, in that you can buy hit points, mana, and stamina at will once you reach level 20, at the cost of gold and experience; you don't use valuable practice sessions to do this, save those and your skill points to learn things critical to your class.

2022-04-24 14:34:29 (edited by JasonBlaze 2022-04-24 14:35:21)

sorry for the necro but, anyone still playing this one? stumble to it while looking for things to play. The mud looks active. the group formation and stuff sounds cool.

2022-04-24 15:39:44

I did give this one a brief  try but was quite disappointed.

Lots of stock areas, not too many quests,  basic rooms and descriptions,  and not particularly interesting hack n slash combat, without much extra by way of crafting or other activities.

Some of the later stuff with claiming areas and castles sounded interesting, and it seemed to have some unique sounding progressions, although combat when I tried didn't differ from the normal progression in muds, so not sure on this one.