2018-01-15 03:48:15

Joseph gets it! Thank you, Joseph.

Even if cracking is legal in your country, using this forum means you obey this forum's rules. Ignorance is no excuse. Asking for a game crack is against this forum's rules, and so if you do it, you deserve to be dealt with.

There are situations, I admit, where getting hold of a game can be difficult, prohibitively expensive or whatnot. I understand that. But as Joseph said, and as I tried to say, people's first response is "hey, can you help me break the law?" instead of "hey, can you help me out by giving me a gift?", and that's not right. Let's just call a spade a spade here.

Also, let's keep separate issues separate. I mark a difference between someone pirating an audio game and someone downloading an album from a mainstream artist who's made millions. Both are stealing, and in that regard both are wrong. But the money you don't give the well-known artist won't matter, while the money you don't give the audiogame developer very well might, especially if the crack spreads and others get in on it. In the larger markets, piracy doesn't kill creativity or productivity. In this smaller market, that's a very real risk. You will not see me jumping down someone's throat about every single case of piracy, because believe it or not I can understand why one might want to do that. But in this community, with its specific rules and setup, there is simply no excuse. If you can't buy the game legitimately don't torpedo the developer by trying to cheat them. Ask someone to help you out.

And please, please, please, stop trying to make fallacious arguments as to why it's okay to crack audio games.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-01-15 07:01:39 (edited by defender 2018-01-15 07:04:54)

Who's making bad arguments exactly? I'm genuinely wondering who your talking about...
Also yeah, no shit, the forum rules say no discussing cracks, so, don't?
Very few people don't get that, and those that post about them get dealt with fast, including by the Klango cracking community, since many of them are members here as well.

Also your post before didn't make it seem as though you thought they were two separate issues, but I do appreciate that you can be at least somewhat understanding about this...
And yeah, I agree, all their doing is getting something they want in the short term, while insuring that their favorite dev gets burnt out faster and stops making games sooner in the long term. Though I do have to say that their have been some pretty pathetic excuses for licensing systems in the audio gaming community, from people that really should have known better, even within the last few years.
If they really cared you think they'd put more work and thought into it... Not that I'm saying they deserve to lose the money, but still.

Also, I really don't see any problem in cracking abandonware, they aren't making money by selling the product any more as it is, so when companies make an issue of it, it just seems spiteful.

2018-01-15 07:11:22

The bad arguments are when anyone, for any reason and at any time, tries justifying cracking audio games. There's been a lot of that. Arguments whose basic framework is "well, yeah, it's questionable, but...". No buts. End it right there. It's questionable. Don't crack audio games.

My first post came down very hard on the issue because I really hate it when people try and make themselves or others feel better about something there's no good reason to do. If you know it's wrong and you do it anyway, then own it. If you know it's against the rules and you do it anyway, prepare to be dealt with. If you know it hurts the community but you ask for it anyway, then you're deliberately trying to hurt the community. I don't care how badly you think you need a game. You never, ever do. You want it. You aren't entitled to it. If you really want it that badly, then ask. Chances are good that some people will think you're mooching, but as has been lately demonstrated using AHC, some people are very generous and will help others out if, say, they can't buy a game in their own country, or if it would be far too expensive to do so. I'm hugely in favour of that, and if I had more expendable cash I'd consider doing this from time to time.

But as a potential developer myself, I'm firmly in the anti-piracy camp when it comes to audio games. If you can't play my game, do not, absolutely do not, crack it. Don't encourage others to crack it. Don't ask for a crack. Buy it, or ask for someone to buy it for you, or see if you can trade it for something somehow.

One single example of piracy isn't going to make or break anyone, even a small-time developer. But the problem is that it's never just one person. Once a game gets cracked, it spreads, and suddenly people feel like they don't have to compensate anyone for their time and effort anymore. In a small community like this, that can be fatal. If you're wondering why I'm so bloody sharp about this, then that's why, right there.

2018-01-15 10:10:15 (edited by defender 2018-01-15 10:14:16)

Yeah, I see your point, though I bet people who understand economics better would be able to tell you exactly why commercial pirating is just as bad.
Your right about owning it if your going to do it, though I don't think many people are (deliberately) trying to hurt the community, either they don't think about it, or they don't care enough to do what's right, so, both still pretty bad, particularly the second one.

That said though, I think most people, at least I was, were just laying out why it happens.
I'm fully aware of how damaging it is, but you need to accept the reasons that it happens in order to better combat it. After all, if people feel they have literally no other way, they need to be taught otherwise, but if you don't even know what their problem is, than where do you start your dialog?
At least 70 percent of them are just regular people not trying to hurt anyone from what I've seen, and many of the other 30 percent are only angry do to ignorance. Discount them all as selfish assholes, and you cut your self off from much of what could help turn many of them around. You may even make it worse.

Still, it's hard to convince most people, especially kids, that at the end of the day, they can go without. And no, they don't deserve any sympathy for it either, because you could nearly always be giving them something more useful if they are using it as an escape anyway.

2018-01-15 11:40:56

Lol speaking of giveaways I randomly bought one for an acquaintence of mine, we aren't exactly friends but we've spoken a few times. So we were kinda chatting along about AHC and he was like I wonder how I can buy the game in my country and stuff like that so I'm like what the heck, what's your email address? big_smile
Then I've had one other guy ask me to let him use my account, and the funny thing is this guy only comes around to me when he wants something. So no I'm not buying him an account. Speaking of, I might have a giveaway competition here. I just have to come up with something that's fair and fun at the same time, like a writing competition for those who're most likely not so good at english would be a bad idea.

Here's the reasons I used to both crack and hunt for cracks.

Cracking, as people already have stated, I used to do it for the challenge of it all, and to learn new things. I never exactly reverse-engineered a program but I have been able to unlock full features without paying for it and without having someone else guide me on how to do it - that was back in the days where I was somewhat technical and don't ask me to recall what I did or how I did because I don't remember, I just have this distinct memory in the back of my mind of a feeling of success and the general sense that "hah, fuck you, developers of program X. I can still use your software to it's fullest potential!"

Now back to the main discussion really, which is why do people play pirated audiogames?
I'm going to play devils advocate (misspelling anyone?) here and say that I support software piracy ... to an extent. Particularly in markets where one program or kind of program has a monopoly over the market. I'm going to take psycho strike as an example, because that thing was aweful, overpriced and sorta falsely advertised. I bought it 5 minutes after reading about it, and it was ... what was it, 35 bucks thrown down the drain? That's a case where I would stand by and say yepp, you can have my registration info, because I don't play that anymore and I don't intend to, but if you want to kill yourself with bordom, go ahead.
I'm talking about those cases where the product is riddiculously overpriced, actually I have a better example ... JAWS
I have cracked JAWS for home use, or I guess pirated would be the better term, more times than I could count. Sure I have a blind agency that's supposed to take care of that stuff, but in the passed their customer service has been terrible and my computer could be gone for up to 6 months, thankfully that doesn't happen anymore and last time I had them install JAWS on my machine I had it back the next day. This was before NVDA was in the market and remember, all the blind agencies raise you up on JAWS, so that was what I was most comfortable with. Back then a jaws licence costed more than my iMac, which had supreme specs and of course already had a screenreader built in for the price. But I still wanted a Windows system and I had to use Jaws because I was a gamer, and I couldn't exactly be stuck playing chess on my Mac, although that was surprisingly accessible and decently fun.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2018-01-15 12:54:58

The issue of cracking always generates interesting discussions.
I believe that when most people try to crack a game, they believe they are entitled to it or just feel bad about asking someone to purchase them a coppy of the game.
Still, cracking can't be justified..
Do you really want the game? Really? Just ask someone to buy it for you..
I myself am looking for someone that would be kind enough to purchase AHC for me.. My country currently is going through economic problems and I myself can't afford the game.
Has cracking it gone through my mind? Despit my situation, No. Because, in the long term, it is what ruins developers and stops new audiogames from being created.

2018-01-15 13:30:46

I can tell you as a developer I find it hurtful to say the least. there is nothing more insulting than putting in countless hours of effort in to a project only to see people steal it.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2018-01-15 14:11:50

@liam I can imagine, Liam. The thought that someone just doesn't care about all your hard work and is totally ok with not paying for something they should pay, isn't a nice one.. Especially here.. We are, after all, a small community.

2018-01-15 14:13:02

Well Liam, you're actually sensible and humble, and I support those devs with all my heart and half my wallet.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2018-01-15 16:36:51

LordLundin, I mark a difference between, say, cracking Jaws and cracking an audio game. Both are still wrong in the stealing sense, and I can't kid myself or anyone else about that. But given the insane cost of Jaws vs. the reasonable cost of most audio games, and given the scope involved in both? Well, there's a difference there. I'm not encouraging people to crack stuff just because the company's huge, or to go use peer-to-peer software to snag copyrighted material just because the victim won't know/won't get hurt. I'm simply saying that such things complicate the question. We're talking about audio games here, and why the arguments and qualifications about why some people want to crack them all fall to pieces. I have no patience for any of them. None.
To your point about PsychoStrike? Well, you bought the game five minutes after release. That was your first mistake, and not the developer's fault in the least. You could've waited to see what people said about it. This is, in point of fact, what caused me to delay on both PsychoStrike and The Gate. The prices asked vs. what I was getting did not interest me enough to support the developer, particularly not after demoing The Gate and playing all the way through Paladin. I've bought both Paladin and Manamon and don't precisely regret them, though it would've been nice to see both games get a really hard polish and touch-up for the amount being asked, particularly Manamon with its $40+ price tag. But anyway, I digress. It is never a developer's fault if you bought their game and then regretted it. I just hope it taught you something. lol

2018-01-15 17:06:15

So to the developers that complain about their work being stolen, I don't understand why they don't track their registration keys and who activates them. Because most audio games just generate a key based on the given registration name , and boom. Its usually some crazy text scrammbled version of their name, and junk added to it. But...why can't you at least code a server that keeps track of what computers register what key to what game? I mean...if you worked sooooooo hard on that big game, it won't kill you to spend an hour or so writing code to protect from being cheated like that. I know Aaron uses something like that, because the first day his new game came out, everyone had this key and the next day it got banned. Very interesting that with all the new things we have learned in the last few years, people still, to this day, use basic registration systems.

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2018-01-15 17:18:27 (edited by Jason SW 2018-01-15 17:20:10)

Personally, I think the best system would be the one where your licenses are tied to an account, and each license can be allocated to one machine. That way, you know who has what game, and where and when they're being activated. It would also cut down on score cheaters, if an account was required to post scores. It's much easier on the gamer, too. They just enter a username or email address and password to log in, and the game does the rest. Also possibly a builtin account management interface to manage your licenses, so you don't have to go to a website to do it.
I was thinking about trying to implement this myself, but I was using BGT at the time, and BGT has no SSL support, so it never happened.

2018-01-15 18:32:45

What if the server goes down for whatever reason? Wouldn't that complicate things?

2018-01-15 18:45:24

@drack Thats exactly the problem.. This system could cause a bigger issue:
Say the developer is unable to support the server or just loses interest?
If sucha  thing happens, the game will be theoretically lost as it won't even be able to go into abandonware status.

2018-01-15 18:51:51

VPs FTW

2018-01-15 19:38:03

Count in all the major game companies that got duped by their own damn system, and you have an indirect answer as to why some game devs don't do a server. Also,

blink_wizard wrote:

But...why can't you at least code a server that keeps track of what computers register what key to what game? I mean...if you worked sooooooo hard on that big game, it won't kill you to spend an hour or so writing code to protect from being cheated like that.

It's not a matter of can they do it, it's do they really want to, all things considered or otherwise? It's not just that hour of code that's factored in. What if a dev doesn't really have time to maintain the server on a regular basis should there be a fallout? This is why many devs turn to already existing drm solutions. The problem with those is that a lot require absurd payments, and are very intrusive. Armadillo was as good as it got, for a very reasonable price at the time, and you had full control over it and weren't relying on some outsourced server to go off of. The point is that they don't have to code it themselves with time they otherwise may not have. Bgt can only do so much, I mean look at the registration key data. Stored in plain site in the registry, under a folder of the software itself. Does that hold true for other software? Absolutely. But is it at least well hidden? Yes.

2018-01-15 19:51:00

It could be a problem, yes, However, if you were willing to allow it, you could probably set up your system so that the activation code received from the server would be valid for a day or a week. That way, even if the server did go offline for a few hours, your customers would still be able to play.

2018-01-15 20:32:04 (edited by jack 2018-01-15 20:32:52)

That's what I was thinking. Kind of like temporary keys you get after some software purchases before the actual key is given out, i.e upon order validation. I remember some older applications had a run-meter instead of days, so it would count how many times the application has been executed. Maybe, for further piece of mind, the application could have a running counter of how many times it phones home, which you may be able to partially see in a license manager, i.e once it reaches the maximum times allowed to phone home, it license manager could say, permanent license, so that people would know that it no longer needs to call the server. Developers could choose how many times they wish their application to phone home, thus the need for a universal drm system so it wouldn't need to be coded into each individual application. This is the kind of potential Armadillo could've had if Digital River didn't come in and screw the project over.

2018-01-15 20:47:07

Well, during my highschool days, when I was 17 years old back in 2004, I really wanted to buy some audio games that I really liked. The only problem was, I didn't have a credit card or even bank account and my mom didn't wanna buy them for me because she heard various stories about Internet hackers and she didn't wanna risk. I also wasn't able to ask someone to buy me games, because 1. I didn't have a bank account to send my money to, and 2. I didn't know anyone who would do this to me at that time. So I was playing demos until the time when I got cracks. Unfortunately, here in ex-Yugoslavia territory, cracks are very popular, as well as pirated music, because the mentality of most people here is that they don't wanna buy something that they can get for free.
Going back to my story, I've paused with my audio gaming for a while, and this was in 2007. And I almost haven't played any games until 2015. However, in a meantime I've got my bank account when I was getting my first job, and then things have changed. Now I've purchased every single audio game that I wanted to play, including Shades of Doom because I was quite nostalgic big_smile. I wanted to buy Q9 as well, but holy crap, it was no longer available from Blastbay. I've also purchased some other software that I was able to afford, and I don't regret, because I've started to hate cracks. Not just because cracking is in fact stealing from developers, not just because I myself am a developer, but also because with legal copy at least what you can get is regular updates and support in some cases. So I've put the number of cracked software on my PC at minimum. I've also purchased the games for which I knew that cracks do exist, because I wanted to buy them anyway in order to support a developer, and because I think that developers should support each other.
And now regarding protection. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that most safe but also the most painfull protection to implement for devs is a USB dongle. The licensing system should be written that way so the dongle is very hard to emulate. The examples of such
software is e.g. Steinberg's Cubase, or ReFX Nexus vst plugin. It's using some USB protection, and that protection is probably complicated so much that the last cracked version for Nexus is 2.2 or 2.3, and newer versions are not as far as I know. It even took a lot of time for first crack to appear. Cubase as well, it's very very hard to find any crack for it nowadays, and even if it was cracked, these cracks will crash the application.

2018-01-15 20:51:32 (edited by Jason SW 2018-01-15 20:53:37)

What I was thinking of is a system where:
1: Your game calls out to the server, telling it the username/email address, password, game ID and machine ID, and requests an activation code.
2: If the account information is valid, the game ID refers to an existing game, and if the server finds a license that is allocated to the machine with the specified machine ID, the server uses the game ID, machine ID, and possibly other sources, to create an activation code that is only valid for that game running on that machine, using some method to encode an expiration into the activation code, and then returns that code.
3: The game receives the code from the server and performs validation, and also makes sure that the expiration data in the code isn't set far in the future, stores the code somewhere on the computer such as in the registry, and then activates itself.
When the game starts up again, it checks the computer for an existing activation code and checks if it's still valid, and if not, goes back to step 1.

2018-01-15 20:57:47

hi,
Ok I absolutely have to write this. Firstly, I don't consider cracking or downloading free content to be stealing. This practice  differs significantly from stealing in several ways, one major one being that, when you steal something, you take it from someone else, and that person no longer has it.  However, when you crack the DRM of audiobooks, or software, and share it, not only do you continue to have the file, but you also allow others to get it as well. Granted, I believe that there is a difference in cracking audiogames, and cracking software such as finereader. While doing it to games can be wrong, when the game is worth it, I don't think it is wrong  to crack software from microsoft, for instance, or ABBY finereader, though microsoft cracking is largely unnecesary now, as most of that software can legally be gotten for free. E.g, you can upgraded cracked copies of windows 7 and 8.1 to the full legal version of 10. I've done it  on like 5 pcs, some of my own, and some for friends. Though not the one I currently use, which had a legal copy, which I bought when microsoft was giving out a free copy of windows 8 pro for 40 dollars. Same for office. Anyone who is offiliated with any educational institution can get the full fledged version of office 365 professional plus, plus unlimited one drive storage all for free. Currently, all programs on my pc are a mixture, comprised of programs that I iether cracked, got somehow legally, or got as open source, e.g 7-zip, or nvda, which are two epic programs btw.
Speaking of audiogames again,the truth of the matter is, I think that many people who crack games do it for two possible reasons.
1. They believe that it isn't worth it.E.g, psychostrike, or the gate.
2. They cannot pay for it, due to not having access to payment methods such as paypal, or not being able to aford the game, due to currency  exchange rates, the Turkish lira being a good example. It also necesary to point out here, that many people in this situation would be very humiliated at asking someone to purchase the game for them, so they might possibly use a cracked copy for this reason.
Getting back to piracy in general, the argument that a cracked copy is a lost sale is also a flawed argument, as many of the people who crack a program, would probably not buy it if the crack wasn't available.  A good example is finereader again. As the crack for the latest version isn't available, I make due with the older 12.0 version, until a newer crack is uploaded to torrent sites.
Another argument, put forth, by people against cracks, is "if you can't aford it, don't use it". Though this can hold true for audiogames, it certainly doesn't hold true for programs, or materials required for studies for instance. A good example here, is SPSS. For one of my courses, I needed SPSS, in order to participate in my research class, and partake in the practice sessions in the lab with my laptop. As my school barred access to the lisences to students, I went ahead and grabbed a cracked version of spss. That crack was literally a lifesaver.  I then also shared it with friends, who also wanted to practice the class exercises on their laptops.
One final thing, before  I bring this post to a close, is the benefits of downloading books, and documentaries. I have a harddrive, almost full of downloaded audiobooks, all of which I didn't pay a cent to get. I have learned so much by listening to those books. If I had bought them, I would be bankrupt a thousand times over.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2018-01-15 22:00:33

Well as a now x pirate I can tell you a few things that really got my goat, still do by the way.
1.  if company x thinks they have the market, yes ms sadly still has it for businesses, office is to high priced for what it is, sure if all of it was used but rarely do anyone reall use all of it.
The home version is reasonable, but there is no email client for those that want, and the version just above is still slightly out of price range, the pro version is nuts!
There may be other software where the companies charge a lot for it, some software complex its justified some is not, our screen readers and devices are one example but there are probably a lot of others.
Point is, before opensource, company x has software everyone uses, and you require it, but you can't afford it but you require it else you can't do anything.
Even with opensource there are those that will charge a lot for their product and the user may or may not get their money's worth.
2.  drm
I can see why you use it, honestly I do, but to simply say that your users can play x content on a restricted number of devices is beyond me, you can't share it easily but I bet 100 bucks that while yes some users would share it with their friends which is actually alegal, in fact making any copy of anything bar for backup is alegal, well fact is I do find drm to restrictive.
Next is what a poster pointed out before in this thread, its no good if the developer of question goes poooooofffff! and dissapears.
Look at darkflier.
They had issues they are back now, oh but look the game is online, thats nice, here, have a useless crappy game that is total crap because it can't run without the server.
Or lets have program x not register or run because your net is offline and you really need to use it.
I understand with audiogames most ag devs are small devs the big ones seem to get unreasonable.
For them its basically we are right, fuck the customer or at least some of them can be like that.
The fact you are big doesn't mean you can push people about yet some make you think they have the right to do what they want and you don't.
What saved me from a life of piracy was more software changes and lifestyle rather than laws themselves.
The fact I had a new system made me stopped having k1000 for example, 7zip was superior to winzip and winzip changed their interface.
Getright and flashfxp got privacy protection and I decided to buy them outright.
I had cracks for goldwave and dvd audio extracter but when they upgraded to one version I was detected as using cracked software so I just brought it outright.
However I was only dealing with 20-50 dollar software.
The challenge is when its more than that.
Look at windows pro vs home.
Why do you buy pro when you are a home user.
You do it because in home you loose a bit more control you would really like over your home system and office could be just as bad.
To be honest if you can afford the software then you shouldn't crack it.
Its when you are dealing with 300-10000 up where I can see the big guys muscling in to get what they want.
I am also against hardware activation.
Several issues happen with this.
The biggest, if you loose your system you may need to get another code.
If you loose your code or it expires unless you fib about it you may have to buy another coppy of whatever it is because of a stupid reason.
Hardware activation codes are just well it depends how you use them.
In games you can retrieve if its done right.
But what if things go down.
Usernames and passwords well that may be better as long as you get what you payed for ofcause.
The other issue is if for whatever reason something goes wrong, say you buy something that may have been dodgy or got scammed or something.
The big guys don't care, the crime is transfered to you, they don't care, I have had friends that got scammed.
And while in most cases if lagit yeah it can be fixed there have been cases where it just isn't.
Thankfully bar ms, for os anyway, you can avoid amost things if you are in fact a home user.
My email and web software, is free.
Thats a big stepup from where I was.
My security software is free, I still have friends on norton for everything.
I have a free office program but don't need much of that, I have a lightwaight30 dollar word program, low cost recording software and a few other things.
The fact I don't have to use high priced software is probably why I no longer need to fight the system.
Its not for everyone though.
There have been 2 times I had to bite the bullet, the first was my ocr software I just couldn't find a free one that worked.
The next was sadly my conversion for youtube and other software, for videos, some free stuff is bundled with stuff and I had to go the comercial root even though I now use free sites to convert my youtube and other vids because they are easier.
I hardly use an ftp client or download manager but they are there.
Most of my pirating was music,  but depending where you go you can at times get your music for reduced prices if you know where to go.
Things are better than they were and that is a major difference.
And in some countries like china and even to some extent in indonesia its actually ok to pirate and even sell stuff.
However if its to good to be true, ie cheap or free it usually is.
Look on ebay at office programs all that stuff costing 10 bucks is in fact probably pulled keys from other places.
They may be dead machines but a lot seem to be lined to schools and other businesses not you.
So that 10 dollar key may actually not be yours at all.
My dad and I once got some converter which we don't use much for vhs tapes.
THe converter works but the software that came with it is old software, and its going to cost more than we payed to upgrade that software.
The software isn't even legal, its fine for what we need but to get a legal upgrade of that software well it costs.
In that case we got what we payed for and we are happy with it but what if we were not.
You buy software privately, ie ebay, facebook, etc the protections are not there just as if you torrent or download your stuff from a questionable source you get extra risks.
Some like me were and still are ready to take whatever risk they want.
That was before the bad guys got nasty.
If it was on an ftp that is one thing but a torrent, don't know.
Even a sync folder can have its issues if used badly.
Another thing that I have never understood, if you buy x device or x dvd then while the content online is a licence, the fact you have a physical object, ie a disk say means you can do whatever you want with your coppy.
That includes crack your copy of your software for expressly your own use.
I don't know how that stacks up, but yeah extracting the audio of my own dvds which I brought with my cash is cracking aparently.
A 1 size fits all approach doesn't fit.
Another thing I really hate is timed demos suppose I  download software x run it and say am undecided after the trial ends, or fall sick and miss the small trial.
I have done this with several bits of software, I run them, but get nag screens to buy it, they get in the way.
I want to use x software.
So I get a crack for it to make the issues go away.
A couple months later, I decide I either like software in which case I do buy it.
Or I don't so I kill it.
I could have shared it or sold it I guess but chose not to.
Ofcause you can't well calculate intention but still.
Its also sad but true that the big companies do not want to talk they see a pirated something, so they handle the issue as ruthlessly and brutally as possible they generally do not talk.
On a list I am on a bit of software was pirated, someone from the maker came online and asked why.
Many people said why, the company nagotiated a deal that all users were happy with, they were a small one though.
But when someone asked for a crack they were told that there was a deal and how to take advantage of that.
In that case though the software was not being sold because the demand was small and it was just they needed to pay the rights holder something but it didn't have to be anything.
The fact the makers or agents talked though was different.
Thats changed some what.
There are a lot of little guys to medium guys out there.
And most of them will be happy to talk.
While the big guys do exist depending on what you need, its possible you may not have to deal with them, or even own or use their software pirated or otherwise.
For businesses a few have programs like ms that allows the user to basically get a free program or basically really cheap for the time they work in that business.
It goes without saying though that your stuff will work after that as long as you don't share it and or are carefull about it.

2018-01-15 22:27:56

The reason that a lot of developers have switched to a user name, key model is that it is easier onthe customer. You only have to save a user name, and key and can register. As pointed out, Safeguards are put in place to monitor for pirated keys and to act accordingly. Writing the system suggested would not be an hour of code, but would be a long drawn out process.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2018-01-15 22:35:11

If you're talking about the system I suggested, it's true that it wouldn't be a quick solution, but I believe that it would be worth it in the end. Gamers would only have to keep track of their username and password, which could easily be saved in a password manager. If their hard drive dies, no problem. They can just reallocate their licenses to another machine.
As the developer, you can keep track of when and where the licenses are used.

2018-01-15 22:45:55

Dongle-based activation? Definitely not. Not for small devs at least. Think of the manufacturing costs for those devices, and the fact they have to mail them out to you. Now if you're going through Ilok that's quite another matter altogether, though I doubt it's free for a developer to go through them. Either way, their insurance is shit from what I hear. You lose your Ilok and you have to buy another one with all your licenses, and I believe the licenses are transferred from your account to the key. Not a problem if you're home, but if you're taking protools plugins with you on a gig for example...keep your guard up. That's probably bound to change with iIlok cloud, though. You have a point about usb dongles being secure. Armadillo had a good system for that, and that depended on a user's own flash drive, and it used the native windows api's to get that hardware's serial number. That serial number was what your program serial number was based off of, which in turn led to your license key. Advantage to this approach? No extra manufacturing cost. Disadvantages? Unfortunately quite a few.
1. The dev has to allocate time for replacement registration key generation, whether that be through programming an automated means or generating a key by hand. Q, aka Christopher Toth, seems to have this down as you can have an automated email sent to you if you lose your license for any of their programs. As long as the web generations asks for that new serial number, you're good. I was gonna say another trade-off is the usb port thing as not all laptops have sufficient usb ports. The asshole in me says that's what usb hubs are for, but it's not my concern what people buy for their computers as long as they don't illegally gain access to my programs, as it were.