2018-01-07 19:41:05

Hello...
So, I've been holding back on saying anything on this matter but it just came up in a Twitter conversation. Why do people have to fill their display names with emogies. It makes it impossible to use first letter navigation, and you have to sit through your screen reader reading them all. If you're using a screen reader I suppose it's OK since you could just set a dictionary entry, but what if you're sited? Then your forced to read all of those emogies, and you can't block them out. I know some sited people don't like that because I've talked to a couple of them. Someone tried to defend them by saying that someone could complain about all the tts stuff that blind people like to do, but you have the choice of weather or not you want to watch it. You don't with emogies, because they're everywhere. Plus, that argument isn't valid anyways because blind people aren't the only people who make TTS stuff. What do you guys think? Lets try to keep the discussion civil, the conversation I had on Twitter wasn't really civil and if you want to give harsher opinions like I did, just do it on Twitter.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-01-07 20:05:33

I think that emoji aren't anything to start a shitstorm about. Their pretty normal in chats and other places these days, hell some apps are starting to use emoji for button displays and the like. My opinion is if you don't like them, stay away from them. If this means not going on twitter for fear of seing one tiny emoticon that your screenreader has to read, then I say so be it. Speaking of that conversation on twitter, I think its best to stay out of other people's business. Someone has a lot of emoji in their name and you don't like it? Unfollow them, and you'll never have to see it again. Also, if you're using tts, its more than likely you can make a form of dictionary workaround to make it stop reading the emoji. With that, I'll go spam people with faces with tears of joy or something.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-01-07 20:41:00

I personally like Emoji, because they make the visual side of communication more accessible to us because they're so common. People will often choose to send an emoji rather than a sticker, and then you don't have to feel left out or like you're looking stupid for asking what someone just sent you. This works in the other direction too, I'll often sent sighted people emoji to express emotion, because I actually know what I'm sending (well, for the most part anyway).

They also make icons more accessible. Quite often, developers will use an emoji to label a link or button on a website. Stuff like down arrows to indicate dropdown menus, magnifying glasses for search, thimbs up/down for like and dislike on comment systems, it's getting quite common

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2018-01-07 21:16:12

@pitermach I don't hate emogies, I just think they should be used in moderation. If someone says face with tears of joy I like this post or thumbs up to person mctalk for that tweat, I don't mind. I just don't like seeing it in display names.
@connor142 On Twitter, nobody's business is their own unless they're direct messaging someone else. As for the display name thing, more than 1 person has emogies in their name. I wouldn't just block everyone who does that, because I only block people if they say something stupid. Also, what do you do if you don't use a screen reader? You can't set a dictionary entry in your eyes, and I don't think Twitter has any way to turn off emogies so you're pretty much screwed. If you use Microsoft Narrator your probably screwed with that 1 too, unless Narrator doesn't read emogies.

TWITCH

2018-01-07 21:59:56

You do realize sighted people don't need any dictionary because they can scroll through these emojis way faster than any screen reader would right?

2018-01-07 22:09:42

sighted people don't register absolutely anything and everything. If they want to tune something out, they won't even take notice of any emoji or at best only briefly glance over them. A lot of emoji in a name is actually pretty common, its done in display names, group names in whatsapp etc.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-01-07 22:22:14

Yeah. That's why it's so widely used on social media. Just for the record, Narrator's been reading emojis since the early windows 8 beta stages. And also, I'd advise you to start listening to your speech faster if you haven't already, since that will solve half of the time problem as far as going through all that. I have espeak set to 15 percent on rate boost, and that to me is a moderate speed. The more you listen to it the more you get used to it. And if it comes down to it maybe you don't need to use natural voices as a consistent reading voice, at least until they can start speaking faster without slurring their speech, which only some natural synths will do. As for emojis, I'm fine with it. I have a pretty diverse twitter timeline and considering it could be just a picture tweet I could be scrolling over, I have no problem with emojis and have since gotten used to them. When someone had a twitter that consisted entirely of emojis and other unicode characters, I just made a pronunciation entry with the replacement being her actual name. Done and done. I would honestly advise against using sapi with the clients under any circumstance, using a screenreader just gives it a more smooth performance overall.

2018-01-07 22:26:42

You wanna exist in that world full of visual communications, deal with the visual communications, else, don't, simple as that. I like Emoji.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-07 22:37:59 (edited by gamedude 2018-01-07 22:39:16)

I pretty much agree with @pitermach on this one, but I just wanted to expand a little. With all of the most popular social networks and services aiming towards audiences wanting to share gifs and images, I think that Emoji are pretty cool since we have access to them at least. If I didn't, I can certainly say that the chance for confusion and misunderstanding during my conversations with sighted individuals would be much greater. (only because sighted users use them so much) I didn't really care for them when they were first introduced on IOS, but over time, the concept kind of grew on me. Unfortunately, they've encouraged me to be lazy. Why spell something out when I can let the Emoji do the talking? I don't go overboard at least. I mainly just use them to help emphasize my tone. Example:
"I FINALLY REMEMBERED TO PAY MY SPOTIFY!"
Edit: Well the Emoji didn't paste, so let's just forget about the example.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2018-01-07 22:46:18

I don't use Emoggees that much but I do some stuff on slack where in one of the groups I'm part of the thing translates what they are to JAWS which helps. Sometimes I'm not sure what things make up what and it has led to a lot of confusion. But even I use a couple mostly the smile and sad and not much else.

2018-01-07 23:01:58

One of my main problems is the first letter navigation thing. I was told that I could just search for a user name, but typically when I want to mention someone, I like to go to my friends list and press the first 2 or 3 letters of their name to jump to them. When they put emogies in their name I have to up arrow through the list until I get to them, and I have a rather large friends list. I suppose I'll just have to search for the user somehow. Also, sorry for my ignorance about sited people looking at emogies, I'm not 1 so I didn't know.

TWITCH

2018-01-07 23:38:35

I can take them or leave them, I don't really care whether they are there or not.

2018-01-07 23:54:44

Pretty much what Orco said. If they're there, fine. IF not, that's ok too. Garrett, one thing to remember, at least for me, emojied usernames are always at the top of the friends and followers list.

2018-01-08 00:24:22

since the majority of the world is sighted, and the majority of the world is using them, and the majority of the world is not really hurting anyone with them, I don't see why I should care too much about them.  Emoji as far as I'm concerned, are here to stay; we should learn to adapt and deal.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-01-08 16:18:03

Hi,
I don't think Emojis are a bad Thing, but if People use the same emoji about ten times in a message, it becomes a pain.
Or even worse: Some people even use a Display Name which ONLY consists of one emoji.
For me, it's impossible to tell who is who then.

Julian

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2018-01-08 16:38:05

I don't like them, never use the stuff myself and where possible, turn that sh*t off just to get the useless noise out of the way. Yes, let the whole universe argue against views like this, but personally for me all the visual stuff is just a useless noise. Something similar tends to happen also when I possibly do something, that sighted folks find somehow strange or just weird - I simply and honestly tell them not to watch, as I can't see what they are doing anyway. I also don't have that built in erge to be like the majority of others and adjust my behaviours accordingly. Some might say, that I don't care and they are probably right, but that's the way it is. So yeah, no smilies or other graphical symbols in my posts, but it obviously shouldn't be seen as me being emotionless. I just don't use those methods of expressing them, meaning of which is unclear to me. Quite often when posting on different forums, there are those huge lists of all kinds of facial expression graphics even with some descriptive sentences around, but when I look at all that stuff, it makes me think like, allmighty darkness - how much extra stuff for simply making a post look better and that's about it. As I'm not entirely sure about what my own face is showing to others, I obviously wouldn't dare using any graphical representations of facial expressions in my posts, saying basically that I don't simply know what most of them actually means.
Oh yeah, turned out to be somewhat of a rant, but it probably isn't the most wrong place for sutch thoughts.

2018-01-09 03:07:50

well, the speech thing can be fixed as Jack said by increasing the speed, or simply shortening emogy name done in your dict. Though I my self have no problem with them,  I hate when someone simply croud there name with Emogies so it more graphics then text lol. About first letter navigation, not sure about chicken nugget and other twitter clients but in tw blue, friends/followers and any other list of users is sorted in the order the have followed you, oldest to newest or what ever, so the first on the list or last in the list is not the case. and, I agree with the first letter navigation thing. Plus, what is really surprising is that blind people use emogy. the only place when I used real emogy, and I am talking about

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2018-01-09 03:24:19

I'm not even sure what they are. well I've come across them on twitter and at first it confused me why somebody constantly refered to having hands clasped or what ever but I figured it out. but aren't they just escentually more advanced versions of what we used to call emoticons? tongue etc.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-01-09 05:21:02

Emojis are basically unicode emoticons. So yes, definitely more advanced as they allow for more possibilities of representations. As for followers and friends list, Chicken Nugget organizes them in full alphabetical order. Tw Blue and all the others probably should.