2018-01-02 15:53:23

Hi.

I've just got a new Iphone 8 and am having major problems with the home button.
Mostly when I press it it makes a woosh sound and changes the display and doesn't do anything else, no ap switcher, no vo controls, no back to home screen.
Oddly enough holding it for siri actually works,a nd supposedly my touch id is set, though I'm not sure.

I have messed around with the home button option in settings, setting for one two or three clicks, but whatever I set that to it doesn't make a difference, mostly I just get this woosh woosh thing which I think is the change of zoom or something.

It just seems buggy to me.
Is there a setting that I am missing or something? Or is there a way to use the lock screen button instead of the home button if they are so crap on the new moddle Iphones?

Quite disappointed in this one really.

Edit: Okay, it turns out the reason the woosh thing was happening was because I had "reachability" turned on in accessibility for some reason, so have stopped that. However, still pressing the home button is a major hassle, indeed I've not got the ap switcher working once (and I really! hope I don't accidently turn off voiceover since god knows how i'll turn it back on again).

I would definitely like a way to stop having to use this stupid button and do something else, maybe use the lock button or a volume button instead.
Whoever thought this was a good idea was a major idiot!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-02 17:15:07

Did you come from a 6 or something and jump over the 7? A 7's what I have now and it has that so-called virtual home button that doesn't really press. I admit it was a little odd at first, but it took me only about 5 minutes to get to grips with it. It's not that bad, and it won't wear out like the one on my dad's 6S that's kind of jenk, I mean, it still works, but its kind of jenk. I don't really want an 8 or an X, I'm content with my 7, but I'd be interested to hear from people who have had the 7 and have since upgraded to the 8 if the home button works differently.

I think your major issue is probably yourself. What I mean by that is it doesn't work the way you expect it to, so you get frustrated, then its not working because you're not really thinking about what you're doing, so you get angry, now your judgement is clouded and making any learning exercise null and void. Trust me, I speak from experience lol.

I still have reachability on even though I don't use it, but I only trigger it accidentally every once in a while. I don't have any trouble getting the app switcher to pop up, or to switch on or off voice over, or to bring up apple pay on the lock screen etc. What I would recommend you do is go into the home button area, like you said, turn that strength all the way up, and  you can practice in that area without affecting anything. The home button will not take you home in that practice area, so you have to hit back or done or whatever it is before the home button will work again for that purpose. But you can practice using it and double and triple tapping and stuff.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-03 07:37:08

@ironcross32:
The home button on the 8 works exactly like it does on the 7. I upgraded last year to an 8 from a 7. There is honestly not a major difference physically about the 8.
@Dark:
I had an iPhone 6 and upgraded to a 7 in 2016. It did take a little while getting used to the new home button. But I agree with the above post. You should not be having this much trouble adjusting.
If you do not have issues with motor skills, it really makes me wonder if something is wrong with the phone itself. But you should try to keep using it for a while longer. Maybe you will adjust to it after you’ve practiced for a few days...

2018-01-03 07:58:41

Yeah its like 5 minutes screwing around, then its nbd after that.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-03 08:38:36

Hi.
Ah dark, I think I know what your problem here is.
You probably just touch the home button and you switch to one handed mode if you tap the button or rather, the sensor part of the screen. Even though it is no real button anymore, imagine it still is one and press it like a button, the taptic engine will also give you feedback on if you pressed correctly.
I know, it might look a bit odd at first, but you'll come to gripps with it.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-01-08 13:14:54

Well, need to find someone's contact details necessitated that I pulled out my Iphone today and  my haste at trying to unlock the thing helped hugely, as  Simba's advice about pretending that it is actually a button .

I assumed with all the talk of touch id and fingerprint recognition, that essentially the home button was a miniature touch screen, and that I needed to tap it the way I'd tap  using vo.

When I followed simba's suggestion, rested my finger on the button and pushed, just as I used to do with my Iphone 5, I felt the haptic feedback kick in, indeed it feels as if the button is mechanical even though it isn't, which is actually a bit freaky.

Still, glad it's fixed now, and hopefully I can catch up on some of those Iphone games I missed out on for the last while, in particular black box and hoobodle and some of the blindfold titles which are sorely in need of db entries.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-08 16:39:46

Hi.
Haha dark, i know what you arre thinking, i was quite amused at first when I fellt the taptic engine actually kick in, I was convinced that it was actually a real button, till I put a blanket over it and tryed pressing the button with my finger, ok no, just a touch screen.
But you're right, it feels pritty realistic.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-01-08 16:52:15

Right, anything you put on top of it, like the corner of your shirt, a blanket, whatever, it will no longer work. Also, if you shut down the phone, you can keep pressing the button until it no longer kicks in the haptics, which is semi-amusing. You do have to give it a firm press, but you always know when you have it, because of that clicky vibration thing.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-08 18:21:21

I'll be interested to see if people can harnice this sort of tech for games, heck I think we might be getting closer to a tactile touch screen and maybe even a full screen braille display which is something I'd love to see.

Either way, nice to have my Iphone back, ---- though  I'm playing A dark room at the moment and just rediscovering how bloody grim the game is that is "nice" to some degree of nice big_smile.

2018-01-08 23:18:06

If you meant harnessing the haptic engine, probably, if you meant using the home button in other ways, probably not. It's all down to what the API / swift lets you do. I can't see Apple, who are very closed and restrictive, let an app mess with the way the home button works.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-09 02:06:56

Yes, I meant the hap tic technology,  trying to code something with the home button would   sort of be  like reading a controls list for a pc game and seeing:

"Your ultra   super duper awesome attack of extreme winning can be activated by pressing your pc's power button and holding it for 5 seconds" big_smile.

2018-01-09 04:42:19

What I wanna know is what's so special about this thing, and what makes it different to normal vibrations. I want to see a demonstration of what it can do.

End racism
End division
Become united