2017-11-11 02:16:04

TurtlePower, I totally agree with you. I find myself gaming bored. I have nothing to do. I'm just waiting for this one at this point. And oh, how torturous the wait is.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-11-11 02:26:18

I'll just say this. I've already warned everyone that once the game comes out, they won't be seeing or hearing from me for quite some time. i my even lock my bedroom door. Lol.

2017-11-11 03:53:27

Gotta say congrats on announcing a release date.
Regrettably I didn't partake in the kickstarter, but I'll be picking this one up on release day.
I've avoided most of the discussion so far and will be avoiding the forum topics after release at least for a little while, because I'm looking forward to a completely "blind" experience. I was, barring the developer, the first person in the world to play Paladin of the Sky. I was the second person in the world to have played Manamon. etc. So being able to start a game alongside the rest of the world with no prior information is a welcome opportunity.
I'll keep my questions to a minimum, because as I said I want to go into the game knowing as little about it in advance as possible. But I do have one question, pertaining to the graphics update when it comes out. Will the extra audio that makes the game accessible be something that can be toggled on and off at that point?
I must say the idea of a hybrid audiovisual game is exciting to me, and I look forward to playing it publicly on Twitch once the graphics update is available. I was one of the people who demonstrated a lot of struggling through mainstream games publicly during my teen years, in an effort to try and bridge the gap between blind and sighted gamers in hopes of raising awareness and encouraging the inclusion of accessibility features in games. So having the opportunity to fully experience a game that sighted players alike enjoy in public to show people the benefit accessible games have on people will be a most rewarding opportunity.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2017-11-11 05:58:06

Good question Trajectory - yes, all the accessibility features will be able to be turned on/off. Things like the navigational radar, TTS, and so on will just annoy anyone wanting to play the game visually, so we want to be sure that they have the option to play without those features.

Also, I commend the desire to go into the game spoiler-free. I hope the experience is rewarding!

2017-11-11 07:57:47

To be honest, due to my failed attempts at getting sighted friends into audiogames, I was a little unsure about how this was going to work out on places like steam. But now i think i know what you plan to do. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it sounds like on the 29th your releasing it to us as an audiogame, then once the full graffic version is released, you will release it on steam, playstation store, or places like that as an rpg? And not really advertise the accessibility features? By that time blind people will have already played it, so we'd be able to go on public forums and rdddit posts and talk about the game with sighted gamers? If this is what you plan to do, I am very, very excited for the future.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-11-11 09:45:00

hi! very excited!!! I was joking when I said it'll be out near Christmas, turns out I was ritish. looking forward to it. is there any way we can have a cycle of potential radar sounds, or a way to substitute them in or out? I'm sure there fine, I'm just curious just in case someone doesn't like a certain sound but still wants to use the radar. I'm sad I didn't get to participate in the kickstarter, as I found out about it way to late, but I'm going to donate when I get the chance just cuz. Will there be any dlc, or buyable extra items? also I'm amused that when I type kic or even ki in my address bar, that it auto fills in the heroes call kickstarter page because I whent there so often looking to see if there were any updates

2017-11-11 10:37:29

Too, bored like the rest of you big_smile nothing really entertains me now when it comes to gaming, of course there are awesome games out there but many of us have had enough of them. Currently a bit sticking to Crazy Party, oh and let me try edc. big_smile can't wait until dec29 big_smile

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2017-11-11 13:37:35

Hey Joseph I donated 100 bucks to your cause.
Does the steak dinner come if I speedrun the game after I've completed it the first time? big_smile

Even though a lot of elements seem mildly random I still feel as if this would be a great game to speedrun.

I have a synematic suggestion: when characters move they should make russling / clinking noises based on if they're wearing lots of heavy iron armor or light clothing etc. Or if it's a thief the footsteps should be lower. And also you should maybe hear the party travelling behind you. IDK I'm all for synematics though because it makes a game come alive.
That isn't to say all  games have to be synematic to be enjoyable, but since one focus seem to be emercian synematics is obviously an important aspect.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2017-11-11 14:13:58

Hey Josef,
I have a question about how the game's DRM will work, as I will be getting a new PC in the first days of 2018, so will I be able to play on my new PC or I will have to wait till I get it, and then buy the game?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-11-11 16:26:55

Good point. I just got a new laptop but if I should ever have to do so again I want to be sure I'll be able to install and play the game on the new machine without too much trouble as far as authorizing it.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-11-11 18:49:17

So many questions!

#82, BlindJedi: You're pretty close, except for a couple of important points. First, while we hope to release the game on other platforms once the graphics are done, we can't guarantee anything because that's partially not in our hands. Also, it's not accurate to say that we won't mention the accessibility features. We think it's appropriate, and important, for people to know that this game is fully accessible to blind players. I've had conversations with some folks involved in accessibility efforts in the industry who have said that being able to point to a game like AHC as a way forward for fully inclusive gaming could be tremendously important, so we wouldn't want to hide that fact.

#83 Valmorian: User customization can only be carried so far before it becomes too much of a burden on developers. When you consider the tremendous amount of content our sound designer has had to generate, I'm sure you'll understand why we aren't considering multiple sets of radar sounds. Not to mention the fact that this short-circuits any tutorial efforts since we can't say, "This sound means X" when there could be two or three sounds that mean X. As for DLC and other content, time will tell.

#85 LordLundin: Heck no you don't get the steak dinner if it's a speed-run, lol. Because at that point the game will already have given you far more than an hour or two of entertainment. That said, I'd actually be surprised if anybody could speed run the game in under two hours anyway—I certainly can't. Some of our testers have been a little grouchy about the fact that there are certain things about the game that actually make speed running fairly difficult. I'm not too bothered by it, though.

As for your cinematic suggestions, you and I clearly think alike. I'll be totally up front and let you know that the comment about adding different foley to your footsteps based on character gear is something I suggested to Drew and would love to see happen—but realistically, we seriously doubt there will be time to implement it. This is a great example of the fact that you could honestly keep developing a game forever and never release it, if you want to include every possible idea. Game development is a constant dance of managing priorities, and sadly this is a pretty low priority item, in spite of the added immersion it would add.

As for hearing your party members follow you around, this won't be the case for a number of reasons, some technical (getting your party to actually follow you requires a bit more sophisticated AI movement than we're ready for at this point), and practical (the added sound, that close to your character, can be problematic, and having your party members physically appear on the map could get very annoying when trying to locate other containers and units around you).

#86–87: I can't say anything about DRM right now simply because that's something that's still being tweaked, and I'm very much not involved in that discussion. I can say that we'll provide info about DRM before we release, so that you know how best to proceed, but I can't say anything with confidence on how exactly it will shake out—other than we will try to provide an option that gives the best possible balance between security and user-friendliness.

2017-11-11 18:51:00 (edited by Jayde 2017-11-11 23:47:33)

Most developers have some sort of unlock system which will let you reinitialize if you switch computers.

I'm looking forward to this one. I'm a big RPG fan, and am still working on one of my own as time and my dying laptop permit. I don't know how much time I'll have to actually sit down and play AHC, as I'll be getting back into school full-time in January after being in Alaska for six weeks, but we'll see.

As to the concept of the bonuses for kickstarter people? Okay, yes, it's a tiny bit annoying because there might be stuff they get , in the game I mean, that we never, ever do. But guess what? They bought and paid for it, literally, by funding the project, by making the project happen in a very real way. It makes sense to give them some non-gamebreaking rewards. We, those of us who didn't do the kickstarter thing, will still have the entirety of the game, but the kickstarter people will get a couple of extras. This is not the end of the world. It's common enough in practice, really. I don't know what Orko, or whatever his name is, is upset about. I'm not going to attack him or pour on any "hate", because that's counterproductive. This was just my two cents' worth though.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2017-11-11 19:36:41

the hole problem with interacting with containers thing is what I had so much trouble with in kotor, because the party members would get in the way, so I can definitly understand that

2017-11-11 20:32:05

Is it still possible to play the battle cinematics after the battle is completed? What about possibility to save them to replay them later in game?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-11-11 22:11:27

Thanks for your answer regarding the accessibility features being able to be turned on and off. That makes me really excited for an educational series I plan to do on twitch and youtube. I'll do two playthroughs in parallel; one where I play normally with accessibility (and graphics shown) and a second where I turn off the accessibility and try to struggle through the game as best I can with traditional resources like memory, prewritten instructions and trial/error like I had to do in Zelda and other mainstream games.
I had a pretty loyal following on Youtube back in the day so I trust I could reach a fair few people. This will hopefully help to shed some light on the importance of game accessibility and to dispel the annoying age old myth that adding accessibility to a game equals completely rewriting and watering down the experience for sighted players.
@LordLundin: It's nice to see that there are a couple others among us who are interested in speed running.
I would love to see this game make it to RPG Limit Break. Now that would be another major step forward.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2017-11-11 22:42:37

Trajectory, we love hearing about people working to increase awareness of issues related to game accessibility—if AHC can be part of that process, that is awesome. Just to be clear, though, you won't be able to do what you describe right away—you'll have to wait until the visual update.

Again, I want to caution people against getting their hopes up too much in regards to speed-runs. Like I said, this is something our testers have commented on, and there were certain features they specifically wanted us to consider changing so that the game could be speed-run more quickly, which we declined to do. Just letting you all know. I will definitely be interested to learn what the fastest someone is able to beat the main story in, though.

2017-11-11 22:48:46

@Joseph you should still add the clothes russling sound without adhering to if it has light or heavy armor, just a very generic thing. If that's not the case already of course. Check out RTR as a good example.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2017-11-11 23:10:58

@Joseph Yeah, I know that the visual update won't be out right away. That'll give me time to become sufficiently skilled at the game in order to do what I was looking to do.
As someone with a long lived interest in speed running myself I actually do agree with your stance on it. A game shouldn't be modified to accommodate speed runs, and I doubt mainstream games ever do this intentionally anyway.
Speedrunning is about truly mastering your game of choice and learning all of it's nuances (including bugs, if applicable).
So a game deliberately modified for speed running would probably make a less entertaining speed run anyway.

2017-11-11 23:25:26

@Trajectory wrong. Mainstream games for the most part are actually aware of speedrunning and if their game can allow that they modify it in return. It is common practice regardless of speedrun or not to leave little exploits around for the user to find out.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2017-11-11 23:28:57

It's good from you Joseph that you've declined those changes. In my opinion, the more possibility for the game to be speed-run, the quicker it'll be bored of.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2017-11-11 23:42:55

@Muhammad Hajjar I disagree, a good game with speedrunning possibilities can prolong the life of the game for quite some time as extreme speedrunners try to compete with one another for who can complete it the fastest.
Not that I think speedrunning is a major thing here in the blind community, no one shouldn't really focus on it.

@Joseph could you see yourself maintaining development after the game is released? Other than bugfixes and so, like a post-game or continued story or something.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2017-11-12 01:08:18

@LordLundin not trying to hijack the topic, but is this a fairly new trend that game devs would modify their games to make them more conducive to speed runs?
I remember when Ocarina of Time 3ds came out, some people in the speed running community there were complaining that a fair few of the major bugs which allowed sequence breaks were fixed.
In that case I always kind of regarded removing those bugs as being a bad idea on the part of Nintendo, since the shear brokenness of that game has caused it to develop a huge meta game despite being single player.

2017-11-12 01:39:58

#98 LordLundin: This is a question we've gotten a number of times and the simple answer is: I don't know. There is only so much time available to our team and we're going to have to make that decision based on what time is available to us as we pursue work on future projects as well. Now, if AHC sells 500,000 copies and we can all quit our day jobs and start a full-time development studio...that will be a different matter. But in the world of realistic possibilities, we're going to have to make that call based on how things fall into place in the future. Hopefully that makes sense.

2017-11-12 03:45:51

Hi Joseph, I notice that in the demo of the quest where you have to get the amulet and fix it, in Farhaven you walk, where in the grave yard you seem to run. Is this a bug, and it's been fixed, or is it intentional?

2017-11-12 04:36:05

Sean-Tery, this isn't in direct response to you, but I've decided that, to preserve my own sanity, I'm going to make a policy that from here on out, if a question is asked that people will easily be able to find out for themselves once the game is released, I'm not going to answer it. I'll still try to field questions about the release itself, as well as questions that may require a more nuanced answer, but in general from here on out, I'm going to ignore questions about specific details that people will be able to test for themselves once the game is out.

But since I hadn't said that before you asked, I'll answer your question: that was deliberate on our part to ensure that listeners had more time to listen to the ambience in Farhaven. You can walk or run as desired.