2017-10-30 00:58:44

So I wonder what your experiences are with ordering  grocerys offline or from a local store. I'm thinking about doing that rather than go and walk around the store.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2017-10-30 01:32:19

Having some wrist issues, so I'll keep this shorter and to the point.
Assuming you are in the US, you could have a few options.
Walmart Grocery - App not so great, website is okay with a good computer. You have to sign their electronic iPad when they arrive. Good about refunding damanged items, though they did give me soggy strawberries one time. Not the best quality of produce at all. They won't accept tips. Usually need to order at least 24 hours in advance.

Local grocer - Some super markets do their own grocery delivery. I love ours here. I don't have to sign the thing, and I get better produce. They don't accept tips. Have to order in advance.

InstaCart - Whole Foods is an option on there, but they mark their prices up or down from in-store prices for some reason I don't understand. I find them to be more expensive than going directly through my local grocery store. You can tip online. Can have your food within 2 hours.

Schwans - Delivers frozen food, a lot of pre-prepared items you just heat up. Not an option to get fresh produce here so far as I know. Haven't used in a few years, (since college.) Have to order in advance.

InstaCart really allows you to manage your experience and chat with your shopper in realtime. Your phone will ping if your shopper subs an item, and you can chat to them about it. With Walmart and local grocery shopping, you are at the mercy of whatever they decide to substitute for you. It can be really annoying if they have to drop an item all together.

I love online shopping. Overall great experience. Feel free to ask me more specific questions. I order delivery every week.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2017-10-30 02:46:56

In the UK I've been ordering online groceries for over 10 years. I use Sainsbury's because they've always been the best. The delivery guys all know me now and explain any substitutions, and sign for me. I always give them a tip at Christmas smile. On the whole the produce is of good quality, and very rarely is anything missing, and when it is, customer services will always refund or have the stuff redelivered. I wouldn't be without online groceries now. I'm really glad I lost my sight in the internet era. It makes life so much easier.

2017-10-30 03:00:48 (edited by Chris 2017-10-30 03:06:32)

I'm interested to learn more about this. I know about Uber Eats, but that's more for restaurants. I figure if I'm going to get food from a restaurant and I'm on my own, I might as well use Uber Eats and save money. There's also Amazon Fresh, but that one isn't available in my area. Amazon also has something called Prime Now, but I haven't had that much experience with it. How would I go about having groceries from places like Kroger and WalMart delivered? Should I just call them or do they offer accessible smart phone apps and/or websites? It seems a waste of money and time to take an Uber to the store, have someone walk around with me and give me the items I want, and then wait for another Uber to arrive and take me home or where ever.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-10-30 13:54:34

Interesting you mention sainsbery's there flacus.

In Durham where we used to live Sainsbury's wouldn't deliver. I tried online ordering from both Tesco and Asda and both had bloody stupid websites, plus the quality of a lot of stuff from tescos just wasn't good anyway.

In the end I abandoned online delivery and instead used a combination of walking to Marks for fresh things, and going into Iceland and getting their same day delivery service for what I bought in the shop which was actually pretty good for getting lots of frozen stuff, plus there was a small corner shop around the corner for immediate necessaries like bottles of milk etc.

Having moved to Newark we're now having the issue of finding things again.
On the plus side there is a Morrisons literally around the corner, on the down side getting assistance there can be interesting since it's such a huge shop and we've not completely sorted that out yet, though since they're literally two minutes walk from the door away it'd be stupid not to use them.

There is also a marks I've been to where the staff are very nice  some others kicking around, so we'll see how it goes.too.

in general I'd prefer grossery shopping in person since then it's easier to get an idea of the full selection on offer, the size and weight of things, as well as in shop discounts, (not to mention giving riva a walk), I've even got a huge camping rucksack for this purpose, but it might be handy to order in a few frozen things and other large items we want in bulk online since I don't think we can do the Iceland ordering here, eg, bottles of diet coke, large packs of mince beef for making chilly etc.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-30 14:31:41

I think the trouble with Sainsburys is that they don't have anything like as many stores as Tesco. But if they do deliver to your area, their website is great. It's fully accessible with great use of headings to make navigating easy. From the little bit I've used it, tescos website seems okay, but Asda's gave me a few headaches when I tried it recently to see if my weekly shop was less expensive than Sainsburys, which it wasn't, they all seem to be the same these days.
When I first started online groceries, I tried Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys, and Waitrose. Sainsburys proved to be the most reliable in terms of getting exactly what I ordered. Though this was relatively the early days of online grocery shopping, and I expect things have improved a lot since then, and maybe Tesco and asda don't screw up your order every time like they seemed to do back then. More often than not they screwed up in my favour and I ended up with free stuff. I always rang when this happpend to tell them, but I always got to keep my freebies. It's not like I was offering to pay for their mistakes, just wanted to let them know in case I got a bag of someone else's groceries. Can't remember the last time Sainsburys messed up my order, it probably happens less than once a year. You occasionally get substitutions, but it's usually something very similar, and they refund any money if the replacement item cost more than the one ordered. I can't speak highly enough of the service I've had from Sainsburys over the years.

2017-10-30 15:03:54

When I lived in Chicago I used Peapod and loved them, you did all your grocery shopping online, then during checkout you could pick the day and time you wanted your groceries delivered, earliest being the next day. You could tip the driver directly or add it to how much they charge your card. You have to sign for the groceries but it's just a paper form and the driver will show you where to sign.

Now I'm in Florida and wishing very hard that Peapod would expand down here.

I found instacart's website unusable, when I got to the page where you put in your delivery address, all the screen reader could see on the web page was a single line of text. I tried several times using different screen readers, but always got the same result.

I also looked at ShipT but at the time all they had was an inaccessible smart phone app. While a smart phone app will work, personally, I find a web site far easier to use and more convenient.

My brother tells me that the store he shops at, Safe Way, has delivery, but since I haven't looked into it yet, can't report on it.

So, for now, I just walk to a near by Publix and one of their employees will go around the store with me to find the things I want or need. Publix is always advertising how customer service is their number one priority, but honestly, the service I got from an Albertsons store that is now closed puts Publix's customer service to shame.

Right now, I still have some light perception, but as that slowly deteriorates, I find myself less and less willing to go walking around outside and will have to either start using a cab to go grocery shopping, or find grocery delivery in Florida that works for me.

2017-10-31 17:09:52

As far as finding out whether or not shops deliver to you...
You can go to grocery.walmart.com and enter in your zipcode. It can be misleading though, so you have to read carefully and make sure that delivery is available, and not just pickup.
You can also do a Google search for grocery delivery plus the name of your town and see what comes up.
Another option is to Google the name of your local super markets plus the term delivery and look at their websites to see if delivery is an option. We have King Soopers here which is a child of Kroger stores. They deliver. I believe our Safe Way grocery stores deliver. Some Harris Teeter stores do delivery, as well as Lowes Foods.

Another option, and one more widely available, is grocery pickup. Some stores allow you to shop online, checkout, have a shopper shop the items for you, and then you just roll up in the pickup lane at the grocery store and they bring all your items out to you. You would still have to use Lift/Uber for this, but it cuts out the walking around and dealing with an assistant.

I've gone into the store a couple times for a couple things, and I found even that to be a pain. I like shopping online because I can browse items on my own by keyword, or just look through the departments to see what interesting things they have. I don't have to ask somebody fifty questions or feel like I'm bothering them by making them read all the pumpkin options at the deli, or all the coffee creamer flavors. Sometimes I've picked a very specific item I found by browsing, like adobo sauce. They wound up dropping it entirely. Maybe they couldn't find it, or maybe it was out of stock. Dropped items aside, the convenience and independence of online shopping far outweighs the drawbacks for me personally.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2017-10-31 17:26:42

I agree completely with Cinnamon, that is why I am looking for an online shopping / delivery solution despite living almost next door to a Publix grocery store.

2017-10-31 18:31:21 (edited by flackers 2017-10-31 18:33:47)

Also agree about the convenience of browsing from your computer. Imagine asking an assistant in a large supermarket what sorts of curry meals they have, and then asking for more info about the ones that sound interesting. You'd be there all day. Much better and quicker to search, click, and read descriptions for yourself at home. An added bonus is that the website I use, Sainsburys almost always has the ingredients, nutritional info, preparation and stoarage instructions, as well as reviews and recipe tips.

2017-10-31 19:35:53

When I was in Chicago, Peapod's web site may not have had recipies with each product, but they did have a section of the web site devoted to recipies. With each product though, you got, a description, nutritional information, ingredients, and preparation instructions.

If you knew what you wanted, it was pretty easy to go straight to it, but if you wanted to explore your options, you could browse the virtual isle as if you were in a physical store. Their web site also allowed you to create any number of lists for things you buy frequently, so you don't have to search for them. With those lists, I could usually do two weeks worth of grocery shopping in about 20 minutes, then checkout took another five at the most, and my groceries would be delivered the following day.

It was great, and extremely convenient. So convenient, in fact, that I'm rather surprised that Peapod like business models aren't more common.

Peapod doesn't have any stores that you can visit, all they have are warehouses and delivery trucks. Their entire shopping business is done online, then during the night before you want your groceries delivered, your groceries are picked, packed, and placed on the truck for delivery the next day.

2017-11-01 18:35:41

I just discovered this on the Blind Bargains web site in the Classifieds section. If you live in the US, it might be worth checking out.

Blind Bargains Classifieds wrote:

Free Online Shopping Software + Free Payment Card Reader

The PayWithChip Marketplace is a new, easy to use, accessible shopping application that provides amazing access to popular products from major online shopping websites. No web browser required. Navigation is very user friendly, using four keyboard keys - up, down, enter, escape. Currently available as a Windows PC installable application. Tested with NVDA and JAWS. A few of the stores on our list are Walmart including groceries, Nordstrom, Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, and many more. Upcoming stores include Groupon, Overstock.com, Musicians Friend, Trader Joe's and many more. Checkouts are easy and simple, which means no more typing card numbers or saving card information. Customers receive a complimentary USB payment card reader. Checkout is completed securely and quickly with just a card inserted and the press of the enter key.

Contact information
To download the PayWithChip Marketplace for Windows PC's, please visit https://www.paywithchip.com . For questions, please contact us by phone at 754-702-2258 or email at [email protected] . We are also on twitter @paywithchip and facebook by searching for paywithchip .

2017-11-01 19:19:21

I use sainsburys as well. their website is really quick and easy to use. they are a bit more expensive than Tesco and asda but at least I can use them. Tesco used to have a pretty good website but as usual, they decided to update it and make it all shiny and exciting looking and now it takes for ever to order a single item.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.