2017-10-28 07:22:57 (edited by Dan Gero 2017-10-28 07:28:32)

Hello,
I'm currently having this issue where at random occasions, a window will pop up stating that Windows Process Manager has stopped responding. I also keep my computer running over night, and when I wake up and check on it, other background processes seemed to have stopped working as well. I tried to use Windows Defender, but when I start the scan, all the timers freeze at 0 minutes and 0 seconds and it doesn't actually try to scan. The last thing I can remember doing that might have something to do with it is running C Cleaner to fix my registry. Do I have to reinstall the OS to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-10-28 15:04:52

I'm sorry I don't have a solution to your problem, but experience has taught me to leave the registry alone. Microsoft themselves, the people that know the most about the registry, has never released a registry cleaning tool. My thought is that that's because they themselves have come to the conclusion that there is no safe way to automate cleaning the registry. So their example and advice is to just leave it alone. Ever since I took that advice I've had few system problems, and those that I do have usually turned out to be from poorly written programs with an easy solution, just uninstall the garbage.

2017-10-28 16:01:05 (edited by revan 2017-10-28 16:04:33)

hey there
try to rollback your system
use system restore, do you remember when and what date your computer was stable?
try to remember and restore it
or reinstall again your windows
do not play with registry, all paid or nonpaid programs are garbage
I am using windows 10 currently,  I just contacted microsoft disability help desk,  you can search it on google
they are not recommending any programs for cleaning registry entries
someone wants to contact microsoft disability help desk head to

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/acc … nswer-desk

2017-10-28 16:16:09

@revan

Of course! I'm an idiot! I don't know why I didn't think of system restore, especially as it has saved my butt several times in the past.

2017-10-28 17:05:43 (edited by Ethin 2017-10-28 17:06:39)

@4, rofl! @3... you do know that that solution won't work if you don't create restore points, right? And System Restore's reputation is less than... acceptable, shall we say? At least Linux OSes like Nix OS actually have reputable system restoration utilities that actually do what they say they'll do...

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-10-28 18:49:52

@Post5 and besides, I don't remember a date where my PC was stable. I guess I'm out of luck then.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-10-28 19:18:45 (edited by Orko 2017-11-02 22:05:49)

Yeah, I know that sometimes system restore can fail you completely because it's not very consistent about recording restore points. Not like the old Roxio Go Back that Symantech bought and then buried. That was a fine program though it did take up a bit of space for it's restore database, but any time your system is idle for 30 seconds or more becomes a valid restore point.

2017-10-28 20:10:00

Hello! I thing the reinstalling of Windows is the best solution for you.

If you want to get in touch with me, e-mail me at [email protected].
We can also get in touch on Telegram.

2017-10-28 20:51:22

@8, that's a bit extreme for the situation here. Reinstalling windows is a last-ditch, last-effort resource if you have absolutely no other options available.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-10-28 23:41:14

System restore has saved my neck a ton of times. It creates a restore point once a week unless you do something like install a piece of software, then it creates a restore point related to that event. For instance I have six restore points for this month, two related to the uninstall of jaws 18 and install of jaws 2018, one for a TTS voice I installed, and three automatic points. I'd say on the whole it works pretty good and I would never dream of disabling it. As long as you remember to disable antivirus prior to running the restore, it usually works fine.

2017-10-29 02:02:11

Hello.

I'd recommend windows restore or if you don't want to do that, reinstalling windows. if you need to update to windows 10, you can go here to read about how to do it. https://www.howtogeek.com/265409/you-ca … lity-site/

I'm gone for real :)

2017-10-29 04:47:00

If I'm not mistaken, System Restore is disabled by default in Windows 10. You'll have to manually create a restore point. I have no idea why Microsoft decided to do this. Under Control Panel\System, go to the System Protection tab and enable System Restore. This isn't going to help you now, but it's good to know. Also be aware that system restore uses some disk space to create restore points. I personally don't mind having it off as I don't tend to brick or seriously damage Windows and I'd rather have the extra space. I have install media that I can always use to reinstall Windows.

Try checking for and applying all updates in Windows Update. I wasn't aware that CCleaner could damage the system.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-10-29 17:25:44 (edited by flackers 2017-10-29 17:28:12)

I'm still on win 7. Cant recall if it was off by default in win 7 too, and I had to turn it on. If not, I'd be worried it had become unreliable in win 10.

2017-10-29 17:42:18

In Windows 7, System Restore is on by default. The only change I made to it was to increase the amount of disk space it could use from the default 3% to 5%, figuring I'd get a couple more restore points that way.

That's good to know about System Restore and Windows 10, I have a niece that had to reinstall Windows 10 because of an update that went south on her and there were no restore points available. Now I know why.

2017-10-29 21:27:39

The fact that it's off in win 10 makes you think it might not work so well for that version. I know when my dad got a win 10 computer, the startup tune didn't play. I wanted to hear it because I'd know when to hit the shortcut to start jaws because not being my own pc, jaws wasn't set to start automatically. It turned out, the startup chime was off by default. When we enabled it, we found it didn't always play. This maybe explained why it had been disabled.

2017-10-30 01:45:47

I was reading an article online, and there's speculation that system restore was disabled to save space on low cost/low storage devices like tablets that only have 32 GB of storage. Maybe they also did it because you can now essentially reset Windows without erasing all your files. I don't trust it and will continue to keep an install disk around.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-10-30 15:20:56

LOL! The more I hear about Windows 10 the less I want it.

2017-10-30 22:27:55

@Flackers: I'm pretty sure the reason why the Windows startup chime doesn't always play is because Windows 10 has the fast startup option enabled by default. Setting the option to complete startup or whatever it's called may fix the problem. Also my Windows 10 machine systematically plays the chime during a restart so I'm assuming a restart is systematically a complete startup. Especially since Windows 10 will sometimes encounnter a problem why trying to open my session, if I turn off the computer it is going to do it each time, but if I do a restart, it will work fine again.

2017-10-31 00:30:43

Yeah, it did always play on restart, so that must have been the issue. He has since gone back to win 7.

2017-10-31 06:11:15

Is Cleaner Damages the system?

2017-10-31 15:02:00

Chris wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, System Restore is disabled by default in Windows 10. You'll have to manually create a restore point. I have no idea why Microsoft decided to do this. Under Control Panel\System, go to the System Protection tab and enable System Restore. This isn't going to help you now, but it's good to know. Also be aware that system restore uses some disk space to create restore points. I personally don't mind having it off as I don't tend to brick or seriously damage Windows and I'd rather have the extra space. I have install media that I can always use to reinstall Windows.

Try checking for and applying all updates in Windows Update. I wasn't aware that CCleaner could damage the system.

lol CCleaner has never damaged my system, and I used it on every computer I owned. using it now and not getting anything like this at all. its fine.

2017-10-31 15:04:43

Orko wrote:

LOL! The more I hear about Windows 10 the less I want it.

the only reason I have windows 10 installed is because of the OCR and xbox app. other than that I don't need it and would not have it on here if it didn't have the awesome OCR and xbox streaming. the xbox streaming lags anyway so even that sucks.

2017-10-31 15:09:55

JAWS has built in OCR and I also have Open Book, so I don't really need OCR built into the operating system, for me it would be just more wasted space on features I don't need.

2017-10-31 15:24:08

yeah I can see the jaws ocr being good if you're not playing mainstream games or anything, but NVDA's OCR is really good for games and things. but yeah jaws will probably always be best.

2017-11-01 03:34:07

I use to have Cleaner installed on my system, and I always clean the registry files that left over after you uninstalled the applications. Those registry files could cause the problem too.