2017-10-27 11:45:59

Hello people.
I saw many topics here in this forum about singing computers. Well, today I've decided to create another topic because I cannot find the topic about how to make macOS TTS voices sing. So, here goes my question, Is there a software to make the Macintosh Voices to sing?

Thanks for any assistance regarding this.

2017-10-27 19:06:18 (edited by musicalman 2017-10-27 19:06:34)

It's doable, but hard. If you're familiar with Dectalk singing it's similar to that, though more tedious. I found a web page with a list of Macintalk commands, though I can't remember what it was, and there are no doubt people on this forum who know more than I do about it. I don't have a Mac but I briefly tested it on a VM which was, to say the least, a royal pain. but I did get it to work, so it is doable. But as I said the commands are very tedious!

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-10-28 02:54:20

Thank you. I will have a look at the link.

@raygrote, since I'm use a real Mac, I think this shouldn't be a problem for me. Anyway, thanks to you guys for your helpful response.

2017-10-30 23:49:20

The commands are still a bit tedious though. Way back when there used to be VocalWriter, but it looks like Kae-Labs has totally disappeared.

2017-10-31 03:28:50

Yeah, their website is directed to something else.

2017-10-31 05:27:53

You know, there are the voices like cellos and bad news and good news that sing, you just need to put good words to their melodies. Just write something in text edit or something. Although it would be cool to make alex sing.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-10-31 05:33:27

You can make Alex sing. You can make any macintalk voice sing, it's just that the commands take a lot of getting used to. Damien had a dectalk scripter that simplified quite a few of those commands, something like that for mac would really, really be handy at this point. Or how bout an os9 image with outspoken, we could try to get the original vocalwriter up and running. I have the original vocalwriter around somewheres.

2017-10-31 05:51:45

Would it be legal to post it here? Does the software vender stop developing it?

2017-10-31 06:17:28

I mean...it would have to be the trial version, I'm sure. Unless you're talking mac os9, in which case that should be fine. It's just getting it to run that's gonna be...interesting. Right now I have outspoken running on a copy of os7, obviously that won't run vocalwriter though. Kaelabs just, uh...disappeared. Their website is gone, and even before that the site was never really updated in years. To be honest, the company probably lost interest. They had updated Vocalwriter to work on mac osx in 2005, if you could call it an update. It looks like all they really did was port the older os9 version into the Carbon interface, but since they never updated any interface controls and/or never made a Cocoa UI, it was still never accessible with voiceover. Realizing that I could save myself a hell of a lot of frustration by just running a snow leopard virtual machine, rosetta is a little weird with Vocalwriter, and it crashes when you convert to aiff *yes saving incessantly is a must* and even so, it wouldn't be even remotely accessible with voiceover. Just ask Flint, he originally used it on os9 and then on an intel mac through rosetta, but he must've had enough usable vision to use it if he managed to get it to work under osx.

2017-10-31 13:32:09

ah, so it probably doesn't work with OS 10.

2017-10-31 14:07:29

It does, up to a point. Osx 10.6 was the last version to offer Rosetta, the power pc overlay. Even so, it wouldn't have worked with voiceover. 10.7 and above have absolutely no power pc emulation whatsoever.

2017-10-31 19:09:00 (edited by FamilyMario 2017-10-31 19:11:24)

And besides, even if you did get a hold of KAE Labs in the past, the guy behind the company unfortunately passed away shortly after creating the OS X version in 2005 according to some research I was doing.
I do remember somewhere about a developer application that Apple included that was called "Repeat After Me" or something like that, in which you would record yourself saying something and the software would convert that into MacinTalk's tune format so that the pitch matches the phrase or sentences you recorded.

2017-11-01 03:29:59

Wow, sounds interesting.