2017-10-25 23:36:44 (edited by anthony002 2017-10-26 01:09:06)

Update:
After messing around a little bit and doing some reading, I now understand much more about the combo system, and the combo assist feature. Still got tons to learn though I'm sure. I'd like to know which enders it's using sometimes, so if I wanted to turn the assist feature off for whatever reason I'd know what to practice with, but that'll come in time maybe lol.
Just picked up this game because of the many interesting characters, and I have a few questions that have probably already been answered somewhere around here but oh well heh. So when it comes to doing combos, I'm noticing that if I just spam a directional button with an attack I seem to be ay ok, but I did some reading and found some complex looking combos with special moves and such. My question is why bother learning them if you can just press one button again and again and get crazy combos? What I mean is, when you do spam, are the combos being performed incorporating specials already? Or is it just a big string of normals. I'm using jago to train with right now, and I've been able to do some combos by just button mashing, but also some incorporating specials, and I'm just not really noticing a difference. I am brand new to this series though. My favorite part about the game so far is the music, it's absolutely beautiful at times and epic when it needs to be.

2017-10-26 09:27:07 (edited by Sightless Kombat 2017-10-26 09:27:32)

I'll try and clarify how the Combo Assist Mode (CAM) works in terms of KI, hopefully this helps answer your question.

Normally, to initiate a combo, you do a special or normal and then a special move (i.e. f+hk into QCB+lp) or QCB+HP into QCB+mp.  Either would start your combo.

With CAM enabled, you then have the option rather than the above method, to press, as I think you've discovered, normal into f+normal to start a combo.

The inputs, as far as the game is concerned, are the same whether your combo looks like this:
"F+hk qcb+lp"
or like this
"f+hk F+Lp"

The game doesn't care what you do, as long as the moves connect properly.  If you're spamming, a common issue among new players (myself included initially), you should train yourself to break the habbit of pressing the same buttons over and over again (i.e. f+hk f+mp mp mp mp etc).  Varying your button presses even with the initial opening move (i.e. f+hk Lp hp mp lp etc) allows for less chance for your opponent to break your combos (which the AI will certainly do on higher difficulty levels).

The point of learning special moves is partly down to personal preference, but also allows for more advance tech like flipout to be applied.  In Jago's case (not all characters have flipout), you'd do acb+HP as your ender, then at the right time (which comes through practice) perform qcb+lp which allows, if timed well, a mixup to be performed so your opponent has to guess.

Hope this helps and I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have.  As for enders, with Jago that's relatively straightforward.  You have 4 enders - Windkick (wallsplat), laser sword (launch ender), fireball (meter) and uppercut (damage ender).

I'd be happy to clarify how these work as best I can should you need it.  Keep up the training and glad you're enjoying the game.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2017-10-26 22:23:32

anthony002 wrote:

Update:
After messing around a little bit and doing some reading, I now understand much more about the combo system, and the combo assist feature. Still got tons to learn though I'm sure. I'd like to know which enders it's using sometimes, so if I wanted to turn the assist feature off for whatever reason I'd know what to practice with, but that'll come in time maybe lol.
Just picked up this game because of the many interesting characters, and I have a few questions that have probably already been answered somewhere around here but oh well heh. So when it comes to doing combos, I'm noticing that if I just spam a directional button with an attack I seem to be ay ok, but I did some reading and found some complex looking combos with special moves and such. My question is why bother learning them if you can just press one button again and again and get crazy combos? What I mean is, when you do spam, are the combos being performed incorporating specials already? Or is it just a big string of normals. I'm using jago to train with right now, and I've been able to do some combos by just button mashing, but also some incorporating specials, and I'm just not really noticing a difference. I am brand new to this series though. My favorite part about the game so far is the music, it's absolutely beautiful at times and epic when it needs to be.

To turn off combo assist hit x  at the character select screen.. I have a menu guide when you hi the y button as well. Go to gaming.tffppodcast.com/ki  I've ben playing for about  5 months and although I'm not very  good yet I do plan to be in 2 years.. If o need any help just ask and I  and other swill do our best to help you out. If you want to follow me on xbox let me know, my xbox name is ke7zum, jut write to me on there in private as Iv'e ben having some let's say issues.

Follow me on  my podcast twitter and feel free to listen to my music. Also subscribe to my youtube channel. Thanks.

2017-10-27 02:37:42

Wow, thanks for all of the great information! I'm trying out some other characters now, and I'm starting to notice the differences between them. Some are better at ranged combat, some switch sides more often than others, etc. I see that it's so much deeper than spamming a button and watching your guy kick ass which is a relief, , but it doesn't have to be if you don't want it to be, so that's nice. My defense is pretty terrible, but I'm noticing that some chars have very destinctive sounds for some of there specials, so atempting to learn blocking is going to be interesting I think. I'm assuming there's a way to make the comp attack in training mode yeah? Also, I'm brand new to xbox 1, so looking forward to learning how to stream gameplay, and adding friends and such.

2017-10-27 04:45:23

Sorry for the double post, but I just had to say that I'm having so much fun watching combo assist perform combos, then turning it off and figuring out how to link them manually! It's adicting lol. Ditched Jago for Sabrewolf for the moment, as I'm really liking his rushdown, it's just brootle, and the howls are vicious.

2017-10-27 16:41:58

Sabrewulf never really interested me for some reason, more of a Mira player myself. Also experimented with hisako, Shago and Kilgore, but not sure how I feel about those 3 quite yet.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2017-10-27 18:18:16

A Mira player huh? Vampires vs werewolves, who comes out on top I wonder! haha Killgore's a fun char to play. He's a robot with big guns and mistles, what's not to like? lol I've never really focused very heavily on ranged combat in fighting games, but Killgore makes me want to give it a shot. I think I'm gonna have to turn the music down a bit though, because as awsom as it is I can't hear the other guy moving around very well, and that's pretty important for ranged tactics I would think.

2017-11-22 20:18:41

Quick service announcement for anyone who doesn't already know... For those who don't have the game yet, the steam version of killer instinct is 50 percent off currently, not sure how long it'll last.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2017-11-22 23:51:24

@ke7zum  How do you turn combo assist mode on?  Didn't see it in your menu guide.  Thanks so much for writing it though, might purchase the game on pc soon and the guide will be invaluable!

2017-11-23 02:58:16

The same way you turn it off. Press x on the character selection screen.

Discord: clemchowder633

2019-03-16 09:27:26

do you all still play KI?

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos