2008-08-04 14:50:57

Actually that's the odd thing Dark. I installed a demo version of Hal to check what's going on, and it worked pretty much as you described without any other changes. Also the missing items in the combat screen appear in the "virtual viewer", though sadly the virtual viewer is only for output and doesn't let you interact with the screens. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I actually managed to take out a Shadowcat class corvette in my Avenger fighter lol, was sort of fun. Paid well too of course.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-08-05 11:21:24

Indeed, shaddowcats seem lucrative prey, but I did get my behind handed to me when i tried a hellcat. i wonder if the update nielsbauer are working on next will introduce all the old ship types from S3 back into S4, ----- though thinking about it, i'm not sure if I want those bloody hornits back, ;D.

if by "virtual viewer" you mean the virtual focus, spacebar on any of the controls should work. I suggest you stick focus lock on with ctrl 1, which will keep hal In virtual focus mode perminantly, even when typing in text boxes and things. o recommend turning auto vf off with ctrl 4 or numbpad pluss, depending upon whether your using laptop or desktop config). If you've opened an info window on a planet or other object, ctrl down curser will get you streight to it (as in S3), as in S3, the read line key numbpad 6 (or F8 for me on my laptop at the moment), is very much your friend, especially on the traid window. Betwene these two commands, the galaxy map both in S3 and in S4 is incredibly easy to use.

for the traid window, it's also worth noting that it can appar either at the top or bottom of the screen. If at the bottom, things are usually okay, if it appears at the top and things (such as the earth), are obscured, close the traid window, then click a planet more at the bottom such as earth to have things work properly.

well the bad news is no access changes have been made as yet in version 1.E of S4, but the good news is that nielsbauer is working on the screens for the next update, so hopefully it won't be too long (especially judging by the quickness we saw update E after update D).

Interestingly enough, Nielsbauer himself says S4 works better with Hal than with Jaws, see the topic I mentioned earlier. he's also E-mailed me directly to ask about the galaxy map, so accessibility is obviously on hismind! I just can't wait to buy myself a paladin or other and go off exploring strange new worlds and blowing up what no one has ever blown up before, ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-08-06 14:24:43

Nope, "virtual viewer" is a Jaws feature. It copies the window to an area it calls the "virtual viewer", which allows you to use Jaws' Virtual PC cursor - the same one used on the internet - to move around it. It however doesn't permit any interaction with said window.

Conversely the only way to interact with the window is with the Jaws cursor, which essentially gives you control over the mouse pointer. No way to allow the virtual PC cursor on a window and allow interaction sadly, which is one definite advantage for Hal. I did find the controls somewhat counter intuitive though for Hal, but this is probably just my personal preference.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-08-07 11:25:12

Ah, my mistake. On my one experiment with Jaws I also found the controls a pest, ---- but I think that's probably just from using Hal so much. I don't want to get into a Hal vs jaws debate, but that process of coppying the screen contense into another window so that you can muck about with it and click it sounds a bit long winded to me, ---- or maybe I'm just used to wandering around the screen as it is with hal.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-08-07 11:59:29

It's copying it into another window so you can move around it, no clicking allowed. That's my point. If you want to click it you use the Jaws cursor, which seems to have issues with Smugglers 4. The Jaws cursor is the equivalent of the virtual focus in a program, the Virtual PC cursor is the equivalent of the virtual focus on a web page.

cx2
-----

2008-08-07 12:23:24

Hmmm, stil sounds rather odd copying things, but as I said that might just be a use thing. i also like the fact that with Hal you use the same controls and view most of the time which helps.

Not being a Jaws user, I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions as to S4. I suspect it's probably because the controls are labled hotspots rather than standard recognizable windows buttons and tab areas. Even some of the quick navigation features in Vf, ---- Eg tabbing round buttons don't work in S4, ---- and with the exception of the equipment screen, don't work in S3 either, but sinse they are labled, they are stil readable and clickable, ---- though not detectable. i din't know the "ship's special ability" thing was anything more than a lable until I read manual. But so it goes, and like most things, it's fine once I'm used to it. I'm sorry your not havin better luck with Jaws.

2008-08-07 13:07:48

That sounds possible, though I've used programs with non-standard buttons previously without issue. For some reason Jaws jus doesn't seem to be able to consistently identify the text. I didn't have this trouble for example when I used easy migrate to upgrade the hard drive in my previous PC.

As to the virtual viewer, it has a couple uses. One is where things are changing and you want to get a snap shot, the other is where you want to copy and paste information from a window which I can imagine being especially handy with a dice roller program and so on. The issue is with the Jaws cursor which doesn't do any copying at all.

cx2
-----

2008-08-07 13:10:58

Hmmm, cp isn't usually a problem with mouse emulation in hal either, and you can lock the screen so as not to change if necessary with the window lock command (though usually that's not necessary. the business about altering text in S4 does seem rather odd to me though, I'm not sure why that's happening at all.

2008-08-07 13:57:12

Jaws doesn't have a "window lock" or a copy in its mouse emulation, thus the virtual viewer. You just hit control insert W and it makes a representation of the whole whindow. The reason I mentioned it is it's odd that you can find the relevant parts in the virtual viewer, but not with the Jaws cursor.

The virtual focus in Hal isn't equivalent to any one thing in Jaws, Jaws splits its functionality into different things. It sounds like the virtual focus is a combination of the Jaws and Virtual PC cursors in different places, as well as having the same function as the virtual viewer available. The reason you can't copy with the Jaws cursor is it gives you only the mouse functions, and the mouse can't actually copy from non-edit windows. Edit windows you would use the PC cursor, which is what Hal calls the live focus - just a fancy way of saying it follows the cursor/focus Windows uses.

cx2
-----

2008-08-08 15:27:53

Well that's true. one of the initial evolutions back in Hal V4 from what used to be called reading mode, (which was a curser only used fr reading), and the virtual focus introduced in V5 was that the virtual focus should alter it's appearence according to whatever task was needed without actually doing anything to the normal view of the screen itself, that's one reason it's quite nice in applications like smugglers which just require a mouse, ---- and a couple of random things I've done with it like emulators.

just  different methodology I think, to be honest it sounds a bit over complex to me, but as I've used every version of hal from 3.1 upwards, ---- and have in fact used hal for the last 14 years, I'm probably used to thinking in hal terms. but it's a shame smugglers 4 isn't cooperating.

Btw, any gameplay comments about S4, particularly about the game difficulty, nielsbauer has opened a topic on the forum for people to post their thoughts. this doesn't particularly have anything to do with access (as I said, I think he's busy with that anyway), but any gameplay ideas or opinions, this is the place, and there's no need to register either to post here.

go to http://www.nielsbauergames.com/forum/vi … php?t=1329 and share your thoughts.

2008-08-11 17:59:37

Sorry if I'm butting in here, but is the game self-voicing or will it work with Hal screne reader?  A lot of times my Hal software won't cope with 3rd party software which is a pain and stops me playing games.  I like the ones which have professional voice tallent.  I will give the game a go though, it sounds like a lot of fun.  smile

out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

2008-08-11 18:06:19

It isn't self voicing, but lucky you it works reasonably with Hal right now if you use the methods Dark describes. Us Jaws users however are sort of stuck sadly.

cx2
-----

2008-08-16 11:05:23

Well, to be accurate, some/most of the game works with hal, the rest is beeing steadily accessified by nielsbauer. The previous game in the Smugglers series (smugglers 3), though, works perfectly with hal (I was playing it last night). So either you can try smugglers 4 as is, or get smugglers 3 and wait for smugglers 4, ---- though hopefully the access changes (mostly involved with labeling controls in some game screens), will be appearing soon.

If you have any Hal issues with either game, please let me know.

2008-08-24 07:26:34

Seems there is a new update to the compatibility mode adding in the buy ships and equipment screens, among other changes.

cx2
-----

2008-08-25 03:02:26

Ah Cx2, you preempted me. the choose faction screen, buy ships and buy equipment screens are now fully labled and accessible. Nielsbauer haven't got around to the crew hiering or crew combat screens yet, but I think the hiering screen at least might be workable, sinse all the wages are already listed and the only unlabled things are the portrates indicating the various crew professions. Sinse each has a pluss sign to select, I think it could well be possible to just count the plusses from the order given in the manual (though undoubtedly, it'll be easier when things are labled). I'll investigate and let people know.

2008-09-14 12:29:08

Well, not sure if anyone's seen it yet, but the newist smugglers 4 patch has more access changes. I absolutely love whbat they've done wih the sensor screen, it makes piracy and bounty hunting great fun, ---- however the crew combat screen is giving me some trouble. This is either because I'm getting things wrong, or an access issue. in fact if anyone else (prefably with hal), could look it over that'd be appreciated, sinse I keep getting my crew killed!

2008-09-19 15:25:22

Well, another patch, 1.0 I this time (available at the above link). This one adds propper lables to the crew hyering screen, and fixes various bugs. It also lets you exit the game with alt F4 from the combat screen.

equipment prices have also been increased as well for all ships except fighters.

On the accessibility front, apparently Che martin of blind adrenaline was saying something about writing jaws scripts for the game, which would be a good idea I think if it really does react as badly to jaws as some people here have said.

2008-09-19 17:24:21

scripts in my opinion are always helpful. like gold wave is accessible already but scripts get the thing easier to use.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2008-09-23 11:18:06

It really does react that badly Dark, trust me on that. If Che can pull it off then I would very much appreciate it.

cx2
-----

2008-09-23 21:12:41

that's a shame Cx2, sinse S4 is an absolutely fantastic game, and when the access tricks are finished so as to make all screens readable and trading that bit easier, it'll be even better.

you probably ought to talk to che about the scripting though, ---- in fact I think he'd be interested in the support and your feedback. i'm just going on what he said on the audeasy list recently.

2008-10-02 16:43:54

Hi.

Just seen this topic on the S4 forum which i thought might interest anyone playing the game. Niels bauer has just put out a test release of a new patch which will allow you to close the trade window with alt f 4, but stil have the prices of the selected good desplayed on each planet, making everything much easier to read.

to open the window again at the moment you need to press the trade menue button twice, ---- but I've told niels about this and I think it'll be fixed soon. Either way, this should make making money via trading much easier now.

You can read about the patch and download it here:

http://www.nielsbauergames.com/forum/vi … php?t=1362

Oh, this should also make the trading part of the tutorial easier as well for anyone who has been having trouble with it.