2008-07-29 08:27:00

If people's scanners have been working, they might know that for a few weeks, the fantastic sequal to Smugglers 3, imaginatively called smugglers 4 is well and truly out and ready for playing.

In a recent update however, the game has received massive compatibility changes so that it cooperates better with screen readers. You can Read about the updates here and of course to try them out, just pilot your ship in This direction for the Nielsbaur site

Appologies to everyone for the slightly late newsage here, ---- it's all part of the syndicate's evil plan!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-07-29 11:37:19

in smugglers, who are the good guys and bad guys? federation are good, but what about the others?

2008-07-29 12:53:13

airan, smugglers is about a galaxy at war, and as in most wars, there aren't really any good guys and bad guys, just different sides.

the federation believe they have the right to control all other star systems, and the other factions are being unreasonably rebellious.

the Outer rim alliance believe they have colonized planets, and have a right to rule themselves without federation (or anyone else's), interference.

the coalition were a group of traders that banded together for mutual protection from the larger warring factions, trying to remain neutral from the war but getting sucked in and now having to fight to survive.

While the syndicate were a band of people declared outlaws by the other factions who were forced to take up a life of crime.

One of the nicest things about the game, ---- and I think this is brought forward in S4, is that you have a choice of how you behave, being everything from a pirate, to an oppertunistic trader, to a patriotic war hero or a bounty hunter (I'm particularly looking forward to the increased combat and bounty options in S4).

it's a complex world really, where things aren't black and white, which is imho a good thing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-07-29 13:18:41

I'm still playing smuglers 3 and screwed up badly on that game, with my starwolf.

2008-07-29 18:09:30

I think I may try it here soon, but has access been improved to the point it is playable? I heard of some people on here having problems with it. It sounds good. LOL, as for the black and white thing, life aint black and white. Learning to live is just part of the fun. Nice that someone thought to make a game with neither black or white. It's gray.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-07-29 22:14:34

There have been a few things both in mainstream and tabletop games where there is no black and white, sadly though audio games lack the depth to convey this usually.

Speaking of Black and White, that would be an interesting thing to try and convert... hmm. Sorry, I'll leave that there.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-07-30 01:57:36

Black and white, positive and negative, good and evil, pick your duelism, I just used black and white sinse it was an appropriate metaphore.

cj, one reason why i haven't posted news about S4 until now is because of the accessibility difficulties, ---- but read the forum announcement from nielsbaur mentioned in the news post, it sounds like improvements have been made. I'll give the thing a bash with hal Tomorrow and see how it works for myself.

2008-07-30 16:44:32

Same here. If it works with JFW then I may buy it. I already have v3 v4 is bound to be just as good.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-07-30 17:21:01

Well I tried the demo and I hope the full version is better. I keep losing destinations on the main screen, and options on the combat window keep appearing and disappearing.

Worst of all is it tends to be the destination I need to get to that has disappeared on the travel window. Weird.

Dark, that last bit I meant was the mainstream game Black and White which could make an interesting adaptation... which is for another discussion, being the reason I said I'll leave it there.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-07-30 21:45:50

ah, not a game I've heard Of myself. i've been trying S4 out this afternoon, ---- just finished the tutorial in fact). the problem with the vanishing options seems to be that the trade screen, instead of appearing in on the right hand side and just staying there seems to float around a bit, which is slightly odd. Personally, i found that viewing the screen bottom upwards, ie pressing ctrl end then going up made viewing the system easier when the traid window was open, and of course you can always close the window (accept in the tutorial).

Ithus far, I personally like, especially the new combat system and abilities. i personally always enjoyed the missions and combat of the game much more than the trading, so i'm pleased that now it seems you can actually make a real career out of blowing the bejaggers out of all comers.

the only accessibility issue I've found thus far has been with the equipment screen, ---- funnily enough the exact same problem I encountered when i tried out smugglers 2 and the chief reason I had to abandon my efforts with that game.

thye screen is full of unlabled icons, but even when I clicked on them, i could only view the iquipment my ship actually had on it, not what new gear was available to buy. i'm not sure if this is a demo restriction, the fact that i only had fourteen thousand creddits at the time, or the fact that I only checked out earth.

as an alternative it might just be that nielsbauer haven't gotten around to extending the accessibility mode to the iquipment screen yet. i'll do some more experimentations and perhaps ask on the nielsbauer forum, and let people know what'shappening with this.

2008-07-31 00:10:47

Well I was talking about the normal travel screen, I haven't even tried the trade screen. I also found options shifting about in the combat screen a major issue with Jaws, it takes real work to find the discipline and taunt options and it's almost impossible to find the ship special ability and normal fire guns option... not that you need it while you've got the focus beam ability.

As to the equipment screen, argh. Same with buy ship screen.

I'll try those combos thanks, hope it helps. It seems distinctly awkward right now though.

cx2
-----

2008-07-31 09:37:45

Most odd, i certainly noticed no trouble with the combat screen, and from what i could see the buy ships screen looked okay accept that there weren't many ships to buy in the demo of course.

One thing does occur to me, did you download the update D patch and copy the files into the main game folder? In the description Nielsbauer said that accessifying the combat screen was a major thing in update 1.D.

You can find it in the updates and patches section on the main nielsbauer site.

2008-07-31 15:17:52

discipline and taunt? Mean to say you can do that kind of thing in this game now? Sounds fun.

DropBox Referral

2008-07-31 16:19:55

Indeed Cw, the combat system has been hugely revamped which makes things much more interesting. Taunt for example will make the next person to fire angry, so reduce their accuracy, while diciplin will increase your accuracy. the mercenary profession also comes with a really cool ability called focus beam, where you can focus your laser shots to do uba damage, but at a decreased accuracy cost.

I really hope the equipment screen and other parts of the game will be made accessible soon sinse this is shaping up to be an even more varied playing experience than S3.

2008-07-31 16:20:22

Yes I did, I was doubly certain to make sure it was updated.

cx2
-----

2008-07-31 16:40:20

I got the same problem. On the Combat screen I could read nothing. there are only Graphics which appearing and disappearing. I installed the update, but nothing has changed. I stil can't read anything on the combatscreen.

2008-07-31 17:47:04

Appologies if it's a Stupid question, but did you turn on compatibility mode in the game options? I'm just quite surprised that your having this much trouble with screens like the combat screen.

also you seem to have to turn on compatibility mode everytime you play, rather than assuming it is on. if it's on it'll say "compatibility mode for the visually impared" at the top of the travel screen.

i hope this helps. i'll be E-mailing nielsbauer (sinse I don't seem to be able to logue in to my forum account over there), and asking about the equipment screen.

I must admit I'm mildly disappointed sinse I was hoping to take a fully functional copy of S4 on holiday with me just in case I can't get net access, ---- but so it goes, and hopefully nielsbauer will finish updating the compatibility mode soon.

2008-07-31 20:55:29

Oh man, I'm silly! Dark, you're right, I didn't know about the compatibility Mode. With this mode the Combatscreen is much better. Tomorrow I will try the other screens in the game.
Thanks for the hint. :-)

2008-07-31 21:54:28

In my case these issues are with both the update and the compatibility mode in place.

Player, what screen reader are you using just for comparison?

cx2
-----

2008-07-31 23:59:04

glad I could help player.

2008-08-01 09:10:47

@CX2: I use Jaws 7.10. I mean, on the combatscreen, especialy the Button to fire the lasers disappear sometimes. But this is not so bad, if you use Jaws with speech. And you can try the Combos that Dark discribed, some posts earlier. that should work.

2008-08-01 10:38:17

Weerd, i never noticed any vanishing buttons on the combat with Hal, and that was even with the tutorial window open, I'm deffinately not sure what's going on there.

2008-08-01 15:01:23

I'm using the most up to date version of Jaws and it is most certainly a royal pain. It could be a difference in the graphics intercepts perhaps, meaning they don't always pick up the text buttons right? Not sure my technical knowledge doesn't extend to screen readers and how they interact with programs.

Update:
Tried the page up/down, and fiddlign with my screen reader settings. Nothing helpful sadly. Almost makes me think of swapping to Hal just to play Smugglers 4 laugh.

cx2
-----

2008-08-01 18:44:50

LOL. Haven't installed yet. makes me want to weight a while before buying. Then again, I might want to buy wile I am on a high speed connection.

DropBox Referral

2008-08-04 12:49:53

Hmmm Cx2, one thing does occur to me. Have you tried altering your screen resolution? Stupid I know for screen reader access, but believe it or not I've actually run into problems when I try running the screen at a resolution which is too low. If it's not already, try setting it to 1024x768, or (as my laptop monitor is set at the moment), 124x800.

Once I set my desktop to 600x400, and Hal actually was missing out buttons and bits of outlook express. If I remember rightly, S3 requires a resolution of 800x600, but I think S4 might require a higher one, and if it's not high enough perhaps some bits of the screen are not being displayed?

As for me, sinse I'm at this festival and thus not always on the net, I actually bought the game on the basis that I would have a long time to play with it, ---- though as my paypal account needs cconfiguring to my new creddit card, i ended up asking my brother to buy the game, having him transfer it onto a memory key, which my parents then bought me, ---- and I sent my brother a cheque.

The first thing I'll warn people of, is that niels bauer seems to have gone more security conscious, so it's now time for the unlock codes. Luckily, if you buy the game yourselves you won't have the problem I had, of my brother reading me a 48 character long unlock code over the phone, you'll just be able to copy and paste.

the second thing I'll warn people about, is that the "name" box on the security key entrance dialogue seems to be read only and doesn't seem to matter. i was trying to write in my brother's name (sinse he actually bought the game), and it didn't work!

of course, I'll have him forward me the E-mail with the key as soon as I'm in contact with my external harddrive and can back everything up.

game wise, the bad news is that several screens are stil not accessible. On the scanning, equipment, ship buying, and faction choice screens, only the first choice of the selection, ---- ie the federation, is  available. What's even worse, is that the buttons for the various choices, the pictures of the four factions, or the various equipment types, are totally unfindable by a screen reader highlighting.

for the sensor screen this isn't too bad, sinse you stil get to see one ship (though reading the manual there seem to be more available), and obviously being limited to the federation isn't too awful, however the rea pest is not being able to upgrade either you ship, or it's equipment. i've posted a message to the nielsbauer forum about these screens being in urgent need of accessifying, so we'll see what happens.

I suspect the fleet combat screen is not accessible either, and I don't know about the crew selection screen, but both of those are later in the game so can probably wait.

The good news is, there's already a new update available. in the change list there doesn't seem to be anything about updates to the compatibility mode, but here it is anyway: http://www.nielsbauergames.com/forum/vi … php?t=1337 (if it does have a compatibility effect, I'll let people know).

Oh, you'll see my message to nielsbauer on that page, it just seemed a sensible place to put it. of course if anyone else wants to joine the nielsbauer forum, just send him an E-mail request, sinse it's got one of those image verification thingies at sign up.

Hopefully there will be more news on this front soon.