2017-10-17 19:57:20 (edited by CritterPup 2017-10-17 21:19:57)

Hello, everyone. It is I, the self-styled philosopher, here with another topic that has been eating away at me for years now.
  First, let me begin with some background on myself. I was not born blind. A rather aggressive brain tumor destroyed my optic nerves, leaving me completely blind at the age of two. At the age of three, I was enrolled in the early childhood program at my elementary school. And, here, I began to learn braille.
  I studied it diligently for years, until I was about seven years old, whereupon my training was complete. I had read for four years then and discovered I loved it. So I read...
And read...
And read a bit more after that...
Competed in some Braille Challenges...
Read more...
Went to high school...
Read...
Applied for college and got accepted...
And here we are now.
Some rather disturbing developments have come up of late, though. As I am an avid braille reader, I will attest to the fact that braille is important. Extremely so. But lately, it's come to my attention that some people would rather read through audio or screen reader than braille itself. This at it's core is personal preference, something I cannot disrespect anyone for. But the phrase that strikes me as the most disturbing is, "Braille is dying."
  Let me pause in my philosophical ramblings to say that, as most of you may know, I am a writer, and hold my ability to spell and use grammar in high regard. I apologize if that sounds arrogant and ironic, for I'm sure I'll end up finding out I've made a few errors here.
Back to the subject at hand. There is an increasing amount of blind people who are leaning away from braille and going to audio and screen reading technology. Again, personal preference. But what strikes me as the most concerning is that braille holds such little importance to them. One of the analogies or similes I like to use is "Braille is to us as print is to the sighted." The sighted are constantly reading print, be it on street signs, apps, newspapers, books, etc. You could, however, make an argument here that they have the choice of audio, which they do, but in day to day life that's not practical.
  I'd like to further expand upon this. From the beginning I have made it appear as if blind people are braille illiterate. Quite the contrary, most aren't, they just don't read it as much. But the main issue I have with not using braille is this: How does it affect your spelling?
WAIT! STOP! DON'T GO! This is not grammar Nazi Dragomier at your service. This is where I bring the two communities into one final point.
  The sighted, as I have said, read print all the time. Because that's what's practical. And, as a result, their spelling is better. Some may disagree on this. Some may ask me to provide proof. Which, if this sparks a debate, (note the word debate, not flame war), then I will, but for now I'm diverging from the foint. I've noticed a rapidly degrading quality of spelling among the blind community, be it through the excusable dictation features (which are finnicky at best), or just because they don't see the words writen, per se. I'm not so arrogant as to say I never make the stupid mistakes, such as putting two p's in proper or two t's in writen, but what my point will always return to is that if you examine a braille reader's type over a non-braille reader's, both parties being blind of course, you'll notice a mass difference.
  My conclusion is simly a request: Tell me what you agree and disagree upon. I hope that a lively debate will come of this. And, again, apologies on my part are in order if I sound arrogant. That is not my goal in the least. Again, if you would, tell me what you think.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-17 20:16:06

I am not sure what you are trying to spark debate about, but you seem to be arguing knowing that Braille = literacy. I totally agree with you that if a blind person does not know braille, he is illiterate, because of what you said, but a lot of people disagree because the definition of literacy is murky. Usually it is defined as "the ability to read and write". But read and write what? If it's print, then blind people are illiterate because even if hhtey can write print, they can't read it without help. Still, this is not really a good debate topic in itself.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2017-10-17 21:14:20

s more of a blog post than an essay, i'n'it? tongue
Nevertheless I am in agreement.
The problems are two: braille tech is pitiful, and people in general, independent of vision, tend toward the path of least resistance.
I've said more than enough on the former point, (I'd provide links if I wasn't on mobile), so the real question is: if print is the path of least resistance for the sighted, why is it audio for the blind? I suspect this would remain the case, even with the best tactile device ever imagined +3, and personally, that's saddening. But if I'm wrong, and all we need is a magical shapeshifting touch-panel made of enchanted octopus flesh, then that'd be a nice kind of wrong to be. ... Umm, especially if this does not require killing or tormenting a ton of octopodes for research and materials. Have you ever tried to capture an octopus? Doc Oc is not living up to his namesake, I can tell you that.
P.S. I greatly appreciate the line breaks. I've noticed that blind people tend toward unformatted walls of text, which works if you're reading line-by-line with a screen reader, but in no other context whatsoever. Other contexts include reading by paragraph with the exact same screen reader because that's more efficient, reading on mobile, etc. I was kinda annoyed at all the times I'd run across sighted people complaining about walls-o-text, but then longer posts became more common around here, and holycrap you guys please press enter every now and then. I am typing this with braille screen input on iOS, and yeah, unless they fixed it in iOS 11, you can't add line breaks without going out of BSI, using the on-screen keyboard, then going back into BSI. But line breaks are totally worth it, if you ask me. And if you disagree... MBraille, or Pages, then copy/paste? I find doing it in the box more convenient, but yeah.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-17 21:20:44

I think the reason I wrote "debate" is mostly because when I brought these same points up to others, that's exactly what came of it.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-17 23:17:09

i gotta be honest, I don't read braille nearly as much as I should. I know it, pretty well, but don't read it much, because yeah... I prefer to read audiobooks. Not only because i can just listen, but braille books are quite huge. One harry potter book, for example, is like 5 volumes at least. Its much more convenient to read audio.
As for my spelling, its pretty bad, probably because of the fact I don't rea braille that much. However, I still know it, and do read it. Braille signs, or my braille note touch, or math work, are all in braille. Yes, I use braille on my touch rather than speech. I actually turn off the speech most of the time and just read everything.
But, although I do turn to audio when I can, I still know there's always going to be a time for braille. Many people I know who go to a blind school hardly know braille. Yet another reason i dislike those schools... You aren't forced to read. Apparently its more independent that way? For another topic. anyway, people I know don't even hardly know braille at all. And, honestly, that pisses me off. Braille is reading. If you don't know it, you don't know how to read. I was at a summer camp in july, and someone asked me to read the sign for a room because he didn't know contractions. Seriously? While I don't always read braille, it is still important to know. It may be dying... Slowly... But same with cursive writing i guess... I do think it is very important to know braille, because if you don't you basically don't know how to read.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-10-17 23:59:34

Hi Dragomier, I completely agree with what you say, but on one point I don't think people are wrong when they say that Braille is dieing. As it was mentioned on the previous posts, and as I myself would say, the technology of Braille is pretty expensive. In my country, at least, paper that displays the braille dots properly costs a lot as compared to the normal A4 based paper that you can by on a copyshop. Also, the typewriters cost quite a bit. As technology has advanced in the last two decades, it has enabled us to hear a new term, Braille Display. Braille displays, perhaps the most efficient braille devices that have ever existed in the history of this writing system, cost the earth and few people in the world are able to afford them. Despite the highly sophisticated technology used in these devices, it does not justify the price which goes much more than the price tag of a premium computer. Now, provided that on a computer you can do several tasks, while on a braille display the tasks are limited, why should this device have such a dramatic price? Certainly this technology is unique, but seeing the actual price on the device, how many people are willing to spend that amount of money when they have the possibility of spending less than 50% of the money they would invest on a braille display? After all, they are getting a much faster, more practical and way more inclusive device for a substantially smaller amount of money. It is with a heavy sadness to accept the truth that this valuable thing, called money is not in abundance and people are reluctant to drop them without care . I'm a third-year student at faculty, studying language and I perhaps, more than most of the people who read this topic care about spelling, about proper writing, about correct pronunciation, about meaningful translations, about the significance you can come across in the sayings and proverbs of English, as well as many other aspects of the language I didn't mention but believe me, I can't find a reason to come forward with any argument that condemns those who are heading towards screen reader, or audio alternatives; because I myself am struggling financially to put some money aside to buy a braille display as I aim to learn another language besides English and Italian. That language is French. Can you imagine learning French using audio materials or relying on a screen reader? That sounds impossible!

By the way, the past participle form of the virb write is written, and it is written with a double T, not a single one. So, written, not writen, unless you wrote it that way on purpose.

2017-10-18 00:23:06

hmm. I agree for the must part.
The reason I aren't reading braille myself is because I started learning it at the age of 16 (and I'm 18 now).
I just can't learn it quick enough that it would be practical for me to use when I'm at school or programming at home, but I would love to some day read braille as fast (or nearly as fast) as I can understand a speech.

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2017-10-18 00:39:56

I think I read braille once since high school, and I really don't see myself going back to it at all. also I would rather listen to an audiobook than have to have a book with 6 or 7 different volumes. especially on a vacation or something. I have no idea why people would want to deal with all that insanity really. it's just so much easier to buy an iPad or something and put your books or whatever on it. also yeah my spelling might be a bit bad sometimes, but I wouldn't blame braille for it, that's kind of crazy.

2017-10-18 02:44:58

Afrim, it's interesting you bring that up because I actually had a debate with someone about that very same topic not long ago. While yes, Braille displays do a lot less than mainstream computers, consider this: Computer manufacturers are selling to a higher number of people. They can afford to make their prices significantly less, because their devices are in much higher production and much higher profit. Now a braille device is usually A, bought by a school district for one or more students or B, bought by a select group of people who can raise the money for it, their profit is significantly less. And there are multiple things besides the technological aspects. You have to take into account licensing agreements, labor costs, part costs, distribution, repairing, like any other tech company would have to. But again, the reason braille devices are so outlandishly pricey is the simple fact they need to do it to make a living.

2017-10-18 06:25:51

Hello everyone. I did a little research on this a while back. Let me give you some recent shocking statistics to show you the magnitude of the Braille Literacy crisis.
Out of all blind people in the world, approximately 75% of them are unemployed. Also 10R of blind people read braille while the rest of them resort to auditory solutions alone. This is in comparison to 40 years ago, when 50 percent of all children in the United States were reading braille. Now I know that the wealth of individual citizens of other countries has to be taken into account here, but still, this is a shocking decline, and I fully support any organization that advocates for braille literacy, as I believe the unemployment rate for blind people would increase in a major way if more learned braille and used it often academically and in the workplace. I am pleased to inform all if you don't know that the price of braille displays is being addressed slowly and surely. Orbit Research has made a Braille display that is priced at 450 dollars, and can refresh with 20 cells. This is a start, and I am confident that it will continue to grow. Also The affordability of Assistive Technologies (that includes baille displays) might increase because of an act introduced by two senitors that will go into affect soon. This bill is supported by the National Federation of the Blind and is known as the Accessible Technology Affordability Act *ATAA( which will allow those who have a job and are eligible to purchase assistive technologies to be given a 2500-dollar tax credit over a 3-year period, in order to purchase such technologies. With money flowing in from income, I think this could increase literacy for bkubd people. I hope that action can be taken in several countries to increase worldwide braille literacy and the proliferation of digital braille.

2017-10-18 08:22:12

hello guys
I leave in Indonesia, where many people still don't know what we, as the visually impaired, can do by ourselves. the public facilities for us here aren't all accessible not like their in US or other country, or so I thought.
I started elementary school in school for the blind, they call it here SLB, and I learned and read with braille by then. I was there till my high school, and still didn't think it much.
now after went to Uni and experienced so called a college life, I didn't think I could survive if with just braille, so I began to using screen reader for most (if not all) college learning activities, and braille has slowly forgotten. I am currently taking english as my major, and after several months I know using screen reader makes my spelling became rather bad, but I didn't know if I'd go back to braille yet, because it sounds rather impractical. but screen reader make some of us here in Indonesia, had a serious problem with spelling, it serious to the point, that they could wrote hashtag as link number sadmonday rather than #sadmonday in their facebook status. but it can't be denied that screen reader is the thing that can help us keep up with the world around us.

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2017-10-18 11:33:48

Hi.
Braille is dying. I can just agree on that, but not in the whole sence. The only way where braille is dying is on traditional paper, the focus is shifting twards braille displays and devices coming in the future. And honestly, I can just greet this.
I remember when I was still new to highschool, back in 2008 and we had all our books, exercises and worksheets in huge folders which we need to carrie around when we switched classes. You had your backpack, some folders and books, and mostly, even a brailler, one of those huge clunky things with you.
Also when you went home, at the school where I was, the students live in flats with 8 students and 3 to 4 officials who watched out that everything went alright, I hated this time but this is another storie.
Anyway, back to my point, imagine a whole school day with let's say mathematics, english and german classes and in every of those, you had homework till the next day, so I had all the three folders for the things I write down, and books for all these lessons, sometimes two books because the exercises were in different books.
I don't know if you all know those big office file folders and if you ever tryed to fit six of those into a backpack, you know that this is pointless.
And if you have a full backpack, folders under your arm and a cane and had to walk over to the place where you lived, yeah, this was anoying.
And today? Everything digitalized, including books, worksheets and so on, everything on a laptop, backed up to a thumb drive or USB stick, no big hastle of carrying it all around, cloud storage gives already has everything ready when I come to my workplace and I can imediately start working in the cloud.
I think from that breaf report you can get that I enjoy reading braille in digital form more than on paper.
The trend of many people just listening to their screen reader is something that i am watching with worry as well. I mean hey, it's there problem in the end if their text is full of typos and alike. I have to admit, I also do a lot of spelling mistakes, but I am trying my best to improve my spelling and grammar.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-10-18 14:51:20

The space thing is a huge pest. I had backpacks split in half while I was walking. There was a year or so where I switched to a big leather bag with handstraps, but the straps didn't last very long. I finally settled on one of those packs on wheels, kinda like a wheeled suitcase. ... then everything went digital and I could get away with just carrying one book and a notetaker.
The same reforms that let blind people attend public school also made it much easier to get away with not teaching braille, given the slightest excuse (has no one heard of a progressive eye condition?). In the US, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if this sudden decrease in braille-literate students also has to do with the pathetic technological progress in making braille more convenient and affordable.
... Also slate and stylus. Sighted students have to hand-write everything, but blind students have to lug around a 10-pound metal contraption that costs hundreds of dollars to replace if they should drop it? I was led to believe that brailling by hand was a painfully slow and tedious process. Then I was handed a slate and stylus and no, not really. If you use a stylus as much as a sighted student uses a pencil, the problems go away and it becomes a convenience that I really wish I'd been introduced to over 20 years ago. I do notice that slating speed goes away pretty quickly if you don't use it, though. Typing is more convenient, definitely. Typing is more convenient than penciling, too. Yet pens and pencils aren't going away just yet.

Someone said that sighted people are moving away from print, due to more audio options? I disagree. Sighted people use audio books, and in very rare cases, TTS, primarily for multitasking. My dad listens to audio books while driving, but reads print otherwise. The other day I found someone saying they use voiceover to read ebooks while jogging, and this was a weird thing in a group of already weird people. The Kendle took off because it better digitizes the experience of reading print than a laptop, but it's still print. I frequently come across people asking for online fiction in ebook format. People still share screenshots of text (seriously, wtf is up with that?). Recently, I found someone suggesting that people might move away from print... in favor of images. I don't think audio options are hurting visual options anywhere near as much as they are tactual options.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-18 15:02:21

I think what it comes down to is the fact that people want to take the easy way out. The people I've spoken to who are staunch supporters of screen reading have all said, "It's easier."
  That makes me sad as well, for the simple fact that people are too quick to take the easy way out which is not always a benefit. I want to make this clear: I also use a screen reader, as is evidenced by the fact that I play audiogames. But that's about the extent of it, besides Twitter and Facebook.
  One other thing to note: People who may not speak English primarily will make spelling mistakes, hell, you should see me try to write in Spanish, it's atrocious. But sometimes, when English speakers are writing illegibley... That worries me.

2017-10-18 16:11:52

I agree, Dragomier. I myself am moving on to screen reader because it's so much easier and simpler. and the Uni I am currently in doesn't have facility and accessibility for the blind, so I am completely learn on my own, trying to keep up with my classmates around me. often I ask to the lecturer about my problem, and luckily they are willing to cooperate with whatever they can.
however, braille in Indonesia is not fully integrated yet, in fact, audio book and other stuff too.
many soft file of the books aren't available, much less the braille, so I have to buy the hard copy and find sighted people to aid me.
that being said, the fact that people just want the easy way without thinking further of the consequences makes me sad. indeed braille can't keep up with those all inconveniences, but I definitely can't forget it, unless if I want to spell all of the millions characters in the novel I read, which I don't want to.

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2017-10-18 16:41:34

I find braille easy, but I would, wouldn't I?
Speed-wise, though, almost no one reads braille fast enough to match screen readers.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-18 18:32:20

hi,
Yes, braille is dieing, like it or not. Anyone who claims otherwise is seriously out of touch with reality.  Tell me this, why would I read a research paper in braille at around 50-60 words a minute, when I can easily read it a few thousand words a minute with elequence? Additionally, I noticed that many people have resorted  to comparing print to braille, which is an incorrect comparason for several reasons. First, and most importantly, is speed. An average sighted person can easily read  between 500-1000 words per minute. While The fastest braille readers I heard of top out at around 150 words per minute. Second, print allows people to skim and scan text. A sighted person can take one look at a paper, and flip through the pages of a book, and decide if he should read it or not. Finally, print is easier to produce and store, while braille takes up at least 200% more space. Also, writing print does not require the use of a 12 pound device, or a device that will make your hands sore and give you blisters.
Finally, one claim often made here in this topic is that braille significantly improves  spelling. I would argue for the opposit. The use of contractions has harmed blind people's spelling more than computers ever could. It wasn't until I started using a computer that I started figuring out the actual, uncontracted spelling of words. Also, the apparent massive ammount of typos on blind people's work is only a sign of how seriously take the work. Anyone who is writing an important document, e.g a statement of purpose, a thesis,  or a job application should check his spelling. The lack of this just shows the person's carelessness with important work. Also, sited people also don't bother to check their spelling much, and complain about the grades they receive from typos on papers. On the other hand, how I choose to write in nonacademic settings is noone's business but my own.
Having said all this, does braille have it's uses? Of course. For instance learning a foreign language, studying linguistics,  or some other tasks can greatly benefit from braille. However, I believe that  learning braille isn't as important as it previously was, though it is still a useful skill to have.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2017-10-18 18:51:51

I know people who can read braille at around 300wpm, and I talked to a teacher who said he use to teach grade 3 to students who could read at least 200wpm. This is still a far cry from 500-1000, though.

I kinda feel like, if someone doesn't know the letters that contractions stand for, they were taught wrong. But maybe that's just me.

The horrible lack of innovation in Braille tech continues to frustrate me. ... Come to think of it, I got business cards from the Orbit Reader exhibit at NFB2016. Maybe I should ask what's taking so long, instead of complaining so much.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-18 19:32:00

Enes... I have no idea where you're getting your figures, but I don't know of a print reader, ever, who can read 1000 words per minute. I can read 240 words per minute in braille. All of your facts that you just posted are a matter of personal opinion, as are most of mine.
  I think, though, you're focusing to much on one point. You may only be able to read 50-60 words a minute, which is fine, but again, a lot of this is personal preference. I could explain myself more but it would just be me saying the same thing over and over.

2017-10-18 19:43:47

I think a better debate would be how rubbishy UEB is. If blind people want to use UEB that's fine but don't force it on me! UEB isn't the Braille I learned and I'm not just going to drop the code I know to learn this new one that makes no sense.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-10-18 20:08:42 (edited by Ghost 2017-10-18 20:10:05)

hi,
They are not opinions, they are facts. see this link.
http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/132 … ading.html
According to this article, an average college age adult reads approximately 300 words per minute, significantly more than the average braille reader.
they are facts. Also, you seem to only be focusing on a single point of the many points I made. For instance, completely ignoring my points on skimming and scanning. Blindness organizations imho should stop shoving braille down people's throats.
Another mess is ueb. Who asked me if I wanted the braille code changed? This was done with absolutely zero input from the blind comunity.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2017-10-18 21:01:53

Eh, while all your facts are accurate, I kiiiinda feel like laying off braille means you're missing an entire two out of the 3 rs, which just feels irresponsible, IMO.
But yeah, I don't like UEB, either. And no, not because it's change. Because of several other reasons which are beyond the scope of this post. The reason most relevant to this discussion, though? Every single braille book made before the 21st century (so most of them) does not use it, locking new readers out. UEB was in the works since 1990, yet there was 0 attempt, so far as I know, to make a smooth transition in education. If you didn't follow organizations and such, you wouldn't even have known until the day you got a letter from the government using it. And invalidating most of the physical books out there just weakens braille overall.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-18 21:12:47

yeah, I agree, UEB is pretty terrible.
Another thing I don't like about braille is braille music. Its so different that its not even wurth learning in my opinion. however, I have a pretty good ear, so I imagine i'd feel different if I tried to learn music much later in life than I did.
As for the spelling debate, I agree that, although  braille may improve our spelling some what, we have a lot! Of contractions. Using screen readers may not actively improve our spelling, but I don't believe that it makes it any worse, either.  We could, if we don't know the spelling of a word, use the character by character command to look at the spelling of words, where as with braille, a lot of the time, looking at spelling isn't quite the same because of all the contractions we have. I mean yeah, we should know what letters/words the contractions contract, but still, that's not quite the same in my opinion.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-10-18 21:33:47

It's not just contractions that we have to deal with, it's also the phonetics of the screen reader. For example Rory, even in your signature there is is an example,  where you say "vidual anty by night", had you read that in Braille you would never have written that but would have spelled it correctly as vigilante. It would never occur to a sighted person to write it that way.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2017-10-19 01:17:36

Yes, Enes, I will admit my own shortcomings and say I did skim over your post in my initial read through, as I was in a touch of a rush. But my point remains: It's all personal preference.
  Let's compare ourselves: You say you read 60 words a minute, I read about two hundred and forty two per minute. This is a big difference, therefore my preference lies in braille and yours in screen reading technology.
  I think that you guys are getting the sense from me that you absolutely have to read braille to get along with me. As you say, I am not trying to "shove braille down your throat." But I think people are losing sight of it's importance. People are starting to think that they will forever be able to get by on screen reading tech... which they might, but I prefer to read quietly rather than stuff an earbud in my ear to listen to a dull voice and have a far smaller selection of books.
  I'd like to point this out, though. I love to READ braille. Typing in it... Not so much. I'll do it when situation demands, so all day at school, but normal typing feels much more fluid to me. Which is why I rarely write stories on my Braille Note Touch... I always begin my works on the computer as I know I'll make far, far fewer mistakes, and those mistakes usually stem from me not pressing a dot hard enough in my rush.