2018-06-22 21:03:53

I found a well rated, hand operated coffee grinder that has something like ten settings for how fine you want to grind your beans. It can grind enough beans for two cups, or about 12 ounces if they are going by the 6 ounce standard, of coffee which is perfect for me as my coffee maker is a single cup brewer that can brew up to 14 ounces of coffee at a time. I found I had to go with a hand operated grinder because all the electric grinders have way more capacity than I need or want.

2018-06-22 23:00:35

Yeah, that's a fair point. I like the electric grinder that I have right now, but that's because I usually have groups over. But for my french press and my own coffee, I intend to get a manual grinder.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-06-23 04:00:21

Hi.
Well, it might be a pod machine, but I don't have the time every morning to hand grind my coffee, we also have one of those Tassimo machines in the office so if you are on brake, you can fix yourself something to drink real quick.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-06-23 07:01:24

@simba, oddly enough hand grinding coffee never takes long, though I also have some pre ground to use in the cafetiere too, just chuck in a few spoons.

@Assault freak, glad to know someone! uses an electric kettle in America, though given that tea is generally as important in several Asian cultures as it is in England it makes sense. Most people when I was visiting my lady's family in Pennsylvania thought I was a bit odd when I asked where the kettle was, yet it did mean making my lady's fruit tea was damnably difficult big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-23 09:30:33

Maybe it's a Canadian thing, or maybe it's the fact that I grew up with them in an Asian family, so it's never been something I did anything but take for granted. Like I said, they're definitely around... amazon.ca and amazon.com both have tons of them. I think it just isn't as common of a household item. In my house we have both an electric ketle and what essentially amounts to a hot water dispenser, which boils the water like an electric kettle and then keeps it hot as long as it's plugged in.

2018-06-23 10:01:51

In Britain, a kettle is as much a household staple as a cooker or a washing machine, indeed one of the first things you do when a visitor comes is put the kettle on.

of course there are still a lot of people who drink tea over here, usually strongly brewed with milk, what's called "builder's tea" though England also has a tradition of coffee drinking that goes back at least three hundred years, indeed coffee shops are really common.

then again this does have a down side, people in Britain do drink some pretty terrible instant coffee you just add water to, some instants are drinkable, but many hardly qualify as coffee, though my coffee snobbery is by no means atypical, or at least not among university students, as I said in my tabletop rp group five out of the six players all drank coffee and demanded propper coffee ;D.

I have also seen the water heaters you mention Assault freak, though usually those are more common in offices, hospitals and other places where lots of people want hot drinks fairly quickly, although many offices also just have an electric kettle (my brother's law firm does this and he takes in his own green tea).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-23 12:02:45

If you will see a kettle of any kind in an American home, it will be one that you remove the lid, poor in the water, replace the lid, set it on the stove, at one of the smallest burners and boil the water that way, I've never in my life been in someone's home and they've had an electric kettle. We do have electric grittles, crockpots, though I think the Brits might call them slow cookers. We have toasters and toaster ovens, but no kettles. Not saying you couldn't easily procure one, its just not common to find one in the home of an american. The aforementioned type of kettle is fairly common I would say in the homes of the older generation, I wouldn't say that millennials would have them, but then again, its not like I go around to many of their homes. But you'd expect your mother or grandmother to have this type of, I guess manual kettle. We call them tea kettles, but we drink our tea ice cold lol. Of course there are Americans who are tea connoisseurs who have all they need to make hot tea. I drink iced tea by the gallon, but to drink hot tea, I couldn't even fathom it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-23 14:14:27

Dark wrote:

Most people when I was visiting my lady's family in Pennsylvania thought I was a bit odd when I asked where the kettle was, yet it did mean making my lady's fruit tea was damnably difficult big_smile.

Now you understand why I said having to heat water separately for a French press coffee maker would be a pain in the butt.

2018-06-23 15:09:19

I don't think heating a kettle of water on the stove in Britain has been common since the 1950's big_smile.

I think the term "tea kettle" came from the days when people would use a small kettle to heat water for tea directly over a fire, but these days the electric kettle is just referred to as a kettle and is used pretty much anytime you need boiling water, for example I use one when making pasta, there are even a number of instant foods from cupper soup to  hot chocolate to the dreaded pot noodles which just go on the principle of simply adding water, albeit most of  these tend to be fairly crappy big_smile.

People do still use tea pots, but  these are a completely different thing to a kettle, and generally you only need one if your making more than one cup of tea at a time.
Usually I just stick the teabags in the cup, or if I'm using ground tea leaves or gunpouder tea I have a handy little defuser.

It actually gets rather funny when my parents visit and I'm boiling the kettle and then using the water for a hole bunch of different things, bog standard English breakfast tea brewed strong for my dad, very horrible instant coffee made with loads of milk for my mum, a cafetiere full of tea for me and some fruit tea with sweetener for my lady big_smile.

2018-06-23 16:38:30

It all boils down to what you are used to, and I'm used to being able to put water and grounds in my coffee maker, push a button, and in a minute I have a hot cup of coffee.

If I ever decide to switch to a French press coffee maker, I'll definitely go with an electric kettle as opposed to one you put on the stove, it sounds a whole lot more convenient.

2018-06-23 17:19:54

I will agree with you that lack of an electric kettle makes a coffee maker a more convenient option as I found in the states, however for me the coffee maker just wouldn't produce the same quality coffee in the end, or at least none of the ones I've tried have.

I freely admit, I am a coffee snob big_smile.

2018-06-23 17:53:57

I'm a coffee snob too, but only partially so, I won't drink the crap they serve at fast food joints, but if a convenient to use coffee maker produces what I consider an acceptable cup of coffee, I won't bother with anything more involved or elaborate, like a French press.

2018-06-23 20:22:51

I have an electric kettle here, as well. I am also a canadian though.
It's interesting that in america they aren't as common, my family has had one for as long as I can remember, and we aren't even tea drinkers.
I haven't gotten to the point of wanting a manual coffee grinder yet as my electric one seems to do the trick nicely, I am however referred to as a coffee snob by my friends, family and acquaintances. I'll be able to get the deathwish coffee in a week or so, so will update the topic with my opinion then!

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-06-24 05:30:32 (edited by assault_freak 2018-06-24 05:34:05)

I most certainly am also a coffee snob, or am becoming one.. I'm very picky to the point that some of my friends get frustrated when I downtalk coffee I don't like. But we've had multiple electric kettles around... and I, on the other end of the spectrum, can't imagine still having to boil water on the stove. I also prefer the frech press whenever I can use it, but I'm ok with drip too if the coffee used is good. But so far, the best coffee I've made myself has definitely come from a french press. We have a nespresso machine as well, and thouh I use it, it's what I resort to more for when I just want a cup of coffee to start my day, like when I wake up late and don't have time to do all the work before leaving the house.

2018-06-24 06:11:39

hi.
You know, I really don't care how elaborate the coffee I am drinking has been made, if it tastes good, it tastes good in my opinion and if the way to make it is convinient and quick, like those Tassimo machines, I'll stick with it and don't go the way of grinding coffee, heating water and so on.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-06-24 06:46:24

@Simba fair enough, but bare in mind the reason a lot of people here use more elaborate coffee making methods is precisely due to the improvement in flavour.

I have friends who are not habitual coffee drinkers because they find it too bitter, but will drink coffee if I make it properly big_smile.

I will admit I don't always use the manual coffee grinder even when I have beans, usually I have some pre ground for when I'm feeling lazy along with some beans too, actually this morning would be terrible to use the manual coffee grinder  since its half past five in the morning and my poor wife was up all night and has only just got to sleep big_smile.

Btw, interesting question, what sort of food goes well with propper coffee? I often find something sweet goes very well, hence the tradition of having coffee with liqueurs  or chocolates, though of course propper chocolate should be dark (and not loaded with sugar yes I'm also a chocolate snob).

Also though I've often been surprised how well coffee goes with things that are spicy, indeed in Egypt they used to serve some extremely strong, Arabic coffee with most meals which went surprisingly well.

2018-06-24 06:57:37

I find certain types of cookies go very well with coffee, and of course chocolate... dark chocolate, specifically. And as for the manual grinder, it definitely isn't something I intend to use regularly... I will likely just stick to my electric grinder and load the manual one from the hopper when I need to take it on a trip, or whatnot.
@Simba, fair enough, as Dark said... but don't knock it til you've tried it! big_smile Of course taste is subjective, and if you don't care that much, then you don't. There are just a few of us here who do care about how our coffee is made, as well as noticing the difference in taste between different methods.

2018-06-24 09:41:39

Hi.
Well, I tasted a few different coffee types, including some arabian and turkish coffees and while they are quite strong, i like their taste.
A well made coffee from time to time is a good thing, but for the quick wake up or mid day drink in the office, I stick to the things I mensioned.
For example when I am out with some friends in the afternoon and we're are in our favorite cafe, I take fresh ground coffee there because it actually tastes good and the price is reasonable.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-06-24 14:48:42

Yeah, I used to not drink coffee simply because it was bitter, I had to add sugar to make it drinkable. Eventually I decided to try a variety of brands and styles to see if bitterness was just the way coffee was or if you could actually get coffee that tastes good. I eventually settled on Folgers Black Silk, a ground coffee that is quite strong and tastes good from an automatic drip coffee maker. I got my parents some as a Christmas present because they were still drinking that bitter swill, and now they too use the Black Silk coffee.

While searching for Death Wish, I discovered that it is available in both whole beans and preground, so when I need to buy more coffee, I'll get some to try out.

2018-06-25 08:16:03

Should be able to try deathwish some time this week. But before that, I want to experiment with cold brew... though honestly with a name like death wish, I'm not super optomistic about getting a delicious coffee experience. Strong maybe, but probably not as good as some of the other ones I've had. haha.

2018-06-27 14:43:08

Well, the first batch of cold brew with a french press is a success! At least, for me it is... I have yet to have people taste it. tongue Definitely brings out the chocolate aromas of the particular beans I'm using, and may be a little strong for some, but would be perfect with a bit of milk. We'll see what others say...

2018-06-30 07:28:22

Anyone else tried death wish yet? I just got my order... but it seems to be stuck in traffic. It was supposed to arrive today... I even paid the extra for one day shipping. But shipping status stil shows arrival scan as the latest update. Weird...

2018-06-30 10:23:11

Get ready for a long Post.

I have a Capresso Infinity Burr Grinder that I use to grind my Beans with. It has 16 different settings. Four Sections of Settings and Four Clicks in each Section. The First Section is Course Grind for French Presses, The Second Section is for Drip Pots and Percolators, The Third Section is for Espresso, And the Last Setting is for Turkish Coffee. I normally use The French Press Method to make my Coffee. I Grind the Beans, pour  them in the Press, Fill the Kettle with water and put it on the Stove, Wait for it to come to a boil, pour the water in the Press over the Beans, Stir the Water and Grinds with a Straw or Stir stick, and then put the Lid Plunger over it to let it sit for five Minutes. Then I press the Plunger to the bottom. Then I pour the coffee into my Cup or Mug. Now Sometimes I like to put a bit of 100 Percent Natural Maple Syrup in the Bottom of my Cup before pouring the Coffee. I usually use Dark Roast Beans. So the Maple Flavor with the Coffee is a nice Combination. But most of the Time, I drink it Black with nothing in it. And an Andes Mint or some sort of Mint Chocolate or a Cookie or Something Baked that is Sweet with my Dark Coffee is very Heavenly! I'm not into putting Loads of Sugar and Cream in my Coffee. To me, that just defeats the Purpose of having Coffee in the first place. And that Half and Half is Disgusting! We also have a Restaurant called The Cheesecake Factory here in Florida. I'll have a Nice Dinner and then afterword, I will have a Slice of Cheesecake with Double Shot of Espresso. Very Dark Espresso. But it goes wonderfully with there Cheesecake. I also have a 15 Bar Pump Espresso Machine at my place that Makes Single or Double Shot Espressos. Sometimes I use the Second section of my Grinder for Percolation to bring some Coffee into work for people to make. And often times, people tell me that the coffee that I bring in tastes better than the stuff they use at my Work Place. I stay far away from those Coffee Pods! God only knows what Chemicals they put in Those!

Post is Finally Over.

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2018-06-30 15:56:06

@assault_freak

There is hope, Death Wish has a pretty high customer rating so can't be all bad. Unless of course, the people rating it are swill drinkers. (nasty grin)

@audioracer

To each their own, but I do not find half and half disgusting at all when used in moderation. I will put at most one teaspoon into a 14 ounce cup of coffee, it's just enough to bring the temperature of the coffee down to where I can sip it without scalding my tongue. Plus, for me it adds just a little something to the taste of the coffee. But I will agree with you in that going overboard with the half and half is a sure fire way to ruin a good cup of coffee.

2018-07-16 19:14:36

Well, after trying the deathwish coffee, I can say I don't think it tastes at all bad!
I wouldn't really agree with their claim that it's the world's strongest coffee, but I enjoy the flavour, so I'll drink and enjoy it.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!