2017-10-09 20:23:11

Last month we implemented a new combat system, introducing ranged attacks for weapons like bows, crossbows, blowguns and slings, and we presented a number of skills and spells to support this new feature, such as 'marksmanship', 'point-blank combat', 'quickloading', 'bowcrafting,' and 'fletching'.  Old skills like 'flame blade' and 'poison weapon' were retooled to work with ranged weapon ammunition.

The new minor crafting skills 'hatmaking', 'heraldry' and 'bonecraft' were also added.  We have introduced a number of new wood types, including continent exclusive and extraplanar species, and planar fish types and foraged items.  Also new special holiday craftables have been made available.

This month, we intend to add lapidary for carving stones and gemcutting for making gems, and possibly the first tier of metallurgy skills, for metal studs, arrowheads, sling bullets, shield rims and jewelrysmithing for rings, bracelets, necklaces and headgear to mount gems in.

We are also working on the account system so we can get account based friends lists and improve account based ignore functions.

A number of new areas are slated to be released in October.  For high level players, there will be the Ryuu Rookery, a level 40 area for north-central Suboria.  For lower level players, a number of areas colloquially known as “Fairyland” will be opened on the island of Archais.

In September we were treated to an event by the builder Aziz inspired the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, which was an indisputable success, and the first of its kind.

This month, we will enjoy the Halloween-themed event known as “Halloween Havoc”, which will begin on Friday, October 27th and run to Thursday, November 2nd.  As usual, this much-anticipated annual event will be orchestrated by the skilled and experienced world builder, Morpheus.

For more information, please see our monthly update audio presentation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVWOfMstRCo

-Shadowfax
http://www.alteraeon.com

2017-10-09 22:01:19

Alol how are you supposed even to start learning some of these crafting skills without paying huge amounts of real money to get practices? just wondering here as there do seam to be a lot of skills involved here.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2017-10-09 22:26:35

it takes you like forever to train pracs, get stats up and even start learning them, lol.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-10-09 23:13:58

I don't know but i think hardly that a new class will be implemented based only on those crafting skills.

2017-10-10 04:34:29

I don't think there'll be.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-10-10 09:06:41

I doubt on the new class, though I agree with all the crafting skills it'd be nice if the number of pracs in the game was raised a bit, especially since crafting is so much fun,  never seems to actually make anything worth while, hopefully that'll change.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-10 18:05:59

I don't know if i'm pretty stupid but i'm not able to gain high ammounts of money on this game. Would be nice if we could sell those crafted items. I don't know if it's already possible.

2017-10-10 20:00:13

Gaining gold is as easy as the amount of time you choose to spend on alter; I can easily gain about a thousand gold in roughly 5 minutes if dedicatedly pursuing it.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-10-11 09:56:44

With gold I won't say I make lots of it, but I do find simply killing and sacking regularly keeps me solvent enough to buy most gear, although it would be nice to do something with stuff you  craft, being as while the crafting is rather fun in and of itself, I havent' yet made anything useful,  the only major crafting thing I get regular mileage out of in terms of improving my  are the druid skills like carving runes, spellstaffs and cudgels.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-14 09:11:50

Pracs can be bought for xp too though, so no need to buy any with credits.
Currently crafting skills don't really make anything too exciting, no, but they are also relatively new skills, and more will come later. Being able to inset gems in crafted items and such should increase some of their stats, from what I gather.
As for gold being hard to get, that isn't really true either. If you have a thief you can learn to pick pockets and steal gold, that can bring in a fair amount relatively fast. Necromancers can sell their soulstones which can give in huge amounts of gold. Mages can brew potions and scribe scrolls that they can sell, people are always looking for consumables. Druids can sell suncatchers or starcatchers if they're high enough level. If any of those things don't work, do quests, jobs, learn where the piles of gold load and go pick up those from time to time, learn what makes equipment attractive and sell such items on auction. Heck, you could try gambling if you felt like it. I got a few million gold in a couple of days from being lucky with the slot machine.
@Shadowfax: Thanks for the update, hadn't realised you posted here too. Nice to see though.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2017-10-16 13:46:20

The pracs for xp thing never seems worth it to me, since it always seems that the amount needed to  get five practices is waaaay more than what is needed to level, though admittedly I  heard this changes at some point.

I actually hope it's around level 30 since I don't want to level myself too high for arcaise before finishing all the quests, and putting xp into pracs would be a nice way to progress and yet stay around if that makes sense.

2017-10-16 19:40:03

@Dark,
So don't level.  Save all that XP and stay level 29 until you're ready to go.  The only penalty against that is...  Well, you don't level, which means you don't learn new spells/skills, etc.  ON the other hand, sometimes camping out at a particular level gives you advantages.  Think about how many events there generally are between now and the Alter Anniversary where we get teleport mobs.  Once you leave the islands because you're level 30 and above, you're going to be forced to hunt level 30 and above teleport mobs to get the full benefit of XP.  Staying at a low level ensures you can still hunt them on archais at the very least.
Later you can spend that hard earned XP in training pracs or leveling as you see fit.  You can even use it to get you out of sticky situations; if you're about to die you can level to stay alive long enough to let you get out of wherever you are, given the full restore owing to the level up.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-10-17 00:20:35

hi,
Or, you can stay at the level for a long time and increase your stats.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2017-10-17 16:25:48

I was unaware that practices could be bought with XP.  I have never seen that.  How does one do that?  I only saw that credits can be used for that.

2017-10-19 13:42:38

i dont have any problems about training pracs you guys just being lazy smile i have like 170 practs