2017-10-20 09:57:24

I've just uploaded the SoniFight demonstration video to YouTube, feel free to check it out if you'd like:

SoniFight Demonstration on YouTube

It's about 7 minutes long, and I'm not sure what additional information you might glean from it that isn't in the manual, but you could always have a laugh at my accent, haha =P

Also, I've added some functionality to allow triggers to check multiple watches recently - this will cut down on duplicating triggers for player 2 after defining them for player 1. And the 64-bit version now actually works as intended, which is always a bonus.

Cheers!

2017-10-20 15:37:28

I'm curious to know which games have config for them already?

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2017-10-20 15:44:39

Hi.
Nice job.
I am interested how it will be work with card games like Hearthstone or Gweent a Witcher game from cd project red.
These games are based on menues so maybe it will be possible to make a configuration files.
These games are available for free so you can try to make a configs for these titles.
I can not wait for the software.
Where are you going to release this program.

2017-10-20 16:44:43 (edited by r3dux 2017-10-20 16:52:51)

@devinprater - I currently have a pretty good config for Street Fighter 4, a reasonable config for Mortal Kombat 9 and a proof-of-concept config for Killer Instinct (Windows Store version - 64-bit). I'll be trying to round off some additional features in the configs in the lead up to release.

@mojsior - I'm also interested in how it will work with card games. I'm confident it can, but as it hasn't been done yet this is all new territory. My hope is that people create and/or work on game configs together and share them, so I'm excited to find out what the community does with this new tool.

The software will be released on October the 31st and binary releases (i.e. a zip file you can extract and run) will be available from github. That link is not accessible at the moment because the github repository is private while I finish work on the software ready for initial release, but it'll work on release day and thereafter.

2017-10-20 18:00:34

Hi.
Wow. Thanks a ton for this fantastic video.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-10-20 21:17:51

will this work on the gameboy emulater? I want to try it on pokemon.

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2017-10-20 21:31:40

@flame_elchemist - No, it won't do that quite yet. I'd need a known array of byte sequence to find the gameboy starting RAM location, perhaps as an offset from the BIOS or system ROM to even start working on that.

That's not to say that it can't be done, it can absolutely be done - it just can't be done yet.

2017-10-20 22:25:39

Just chiming in to say this is awesome and has tons of potential. Even just being able to read menus in things like fighting games  just makes me excited, especially with games like KI that have things like the shadow lords mode which has some EQ management that normally is pretty hard to do.
There are tons of games that are already pretty playable that could just benefit from small things like talking menus. Probably the biggest difficulty is going to be keeping up with games being patched, especially for active titles like KI. But if there'll be a community around it this could literarly be a game changer! smile

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2017-10-20 22:48:22

Thanks pitermach, I'm as excited as you are - perhaps more so considering I've been working on this software for the better part of two years!

I don't know if patches will be an issue, but because we're typically looking at core data constructs I wouldn't imagine they change even if surrounding code does. The only way to find out will be to try.

This is untrodden ground - so I think we just have to take it one step at a time big_smile

2017-10-20 23:55:17

Hm, I'm kind of curious as to how this tool is going to interact with the various anti-cheat software companies deploy. There's Blizzards Warden which actively scans memory for anything resembling cheat software, EA's PunkBuster, Steams VAC system, and Microsoft just recently announced their TruePlay anti-cheat system for their Universal Windows Platform.

On another note, I bet this could also work with other emulator platforms like DosBox or Amiga emulators, so there's that.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-10-21 03:48:22

I'm keeping an eye on this thread, especially for emulator support.

I like the old school games, simply because I enjoyed playing them as a child.

Plus I have a whole heap of mastersystem and megadrive games I'd love to test out.

Anyone remember the game Renegade?

There's a level on that game where you had to time your jumps to jump over motor bikes coming at you.

I'm not sure how the level following it would be done, it's where you're riding along a highway and trying to nock off the guys off their own motorbike.

Sounds like fun doesn't it?

I wonder if that level was what gave the developers of road rash their idea?

Ah yes, road Rash, now that's another fun game where you could nock your opponent off their motor bike.

2017-10-21 08:06:45 (edited by blindndangerous 2017-10-21 08:23:11)

I wonder if you could use the pokemon crystal access to get the data you'd need for a gba emulator. I'd be absolutely interested in emulator support, for whatever emulators would work.  I actually just found out that a ps3 emulator is in development.  If emulator support could get working for the different emulators out their, that'd be absolutely awesome.  But I'm not sure how that'd all work. If this somehow got to work with hearthstone, I might lose my mind.  I'll be keeping an eye on this project, and when the github link is up, I'll clone it. But absolutely, we should get a community together to learn how configs are made and see what we can all do together.

2017-10-21 17:51:16

I wonder how it would work out playing finalfantasy x

2017-10-21 19:59:22

Yeah hearthstone, yu-gi-oh. So many possibilities. I honestly can't wait for this and appreciate the hard work done more than I can say.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2017-10-22 00:47:19

Hmm, what would we need for ffx.
character names/hp/mp/overdrive bars and the menus/and hints read for battles. I'm not sure if the turn selector could be read to help you plan your attacks more though.
HP increases/decreases for when you're hit, as they flash on your character as well as change the numbers in the lower right.
Status effects being applied/being removed
The menu system in battles.
The menu while on the field.
I don't think any of that would be hard, the hardest part would be the sphere grid. How would that work, because you have to follow a path. Also, we'd still need a guide human to help us navigate the overworld I'd think.
Did I miss anything?

2017-10-22 01:17:07

how would we do the trials? the one in bavell  sounds confusing and, i would like to try to get the secret items in the cloisters

2017-10-22 11:47:05

Again, that'd need a guide human I'd think, as you need to walk around. Honestly, any game like that is going to need one.  I also think FFX2 would be better as it doesn't use a sphere grid, and the garment grid is better at displaying text, and what the grids do, and if their are empty nodes to equip spheres to.

2017-10-23 13:03:03 (edited by r3dux 2017-10-23 13:15:58)

magurp244 wrote:

Hm, I'm kind of curious as to how this tool is going to interact with the various anti-cheat software companies deploy. There's Blizzards Warden which actively scans memory for anything resembling cheat software, EA's PunkBuster, Steams VAC system, and Microsoft just recently announced their TruePlay anti-cheat system for their Universal Windows Platform.

On another note, I bet this could also work with other emulator platforms like DosBox or Amiga emulators, so there's that.

That's such a good question, and it's one I've thought about.

The only honest answer I can give you is that I don't know. There's a brief section on this in the user guide FAQ, and there's a clause in the SoniFight license that says basically "you use this software at your own risk without any guarantee of fitness for purpose and everything's on you if you decide to run it".

Here are the two main issues involved:

1 - SoniFight never attaches a debugger to the game process. All it does is ask the process where it begins, and then offset from the start location via a series of hops to a known value of interest and peek at it.

2 - SoniFight never writes to a memory address, it merely reads from them. However, the SoniFight code could be modified to write to addresses, so let's assume that someone modifies the code to do that. That could mean that game developers decide that SoniFight is either malicious (which it isn't) or capable of being subverted to be maclicious (which it is, because the source code will be publically available). And that would be fully understandable.

So it's either going to be considered malicious or it's not - that doesn't really help us much as those were the two options we started with.

If the worst came to it, SoniFight would still be able to work with 95% of the modern games which will not be patched to look out for it, and it will also be able to provide sonification for older games, and hopefully emulated games in the future.

So overall, I think it's still a good thing and should be able to serve you well.

P.S. I've used SoniFight on Steam games during testing for the last two years (including when playing online), as well as with Killer Instinct (Windows Store version) recently with no issues whatsover. But - the simplest possible tamper-recognition approach would be to do something like store a bunch of versions of a value and update them separately per frame, and if there wasn't consensus amonst all values then the program could dump you back to the desktop.  That's the simplest possible scenario, there are no doubt countless others. The simple fact of the matter is that I don't know, and I cannot guarantee you won't be flagged for cheating if SoniFight itself gets flagged as cheat software.

2017-10-23 13:08:15

I want to knows how to create my own config for any selected games.
For example I do a configuration file for gweent. I want to have a spoken menues like main menu after running the game and spoken cards on the table.
How we can find which value is the menu or which values are cards in the game.
I want to know how to find that values without decompiling game.

2017-10-23 13:19:55

@mojsiot - There's a written description of the pointer chain finding process in the user documentation which you can find here, and I'll be providing a video-walkthrough-slash-discussion of the process within the next few days.

2017-10-23 13:24:34

thank I will look at this.
I can not wait for this tool, it will be a revoulution for us gamers

2017-10-23 14:53:12

r3dux wrote:

@hadi.gsf and CAE_Jones - The currently selected menu item is typically stored as an integer (i.e. just a whole number), and the text itself for the option (if it actually is text rather than a picture with words on it) doesn't change when its highlighted, so it makes more sense to find the integer that's tracked when the currently selected menu item changes. Also, just to make life interesting, different menus usually have different memory addresses for the highlighted option - and as menus can be quite involved this may mean needing a handful of different pointer chains to keep track of navigation of the game menus as a whole.

Oh, I see how it is. This makes things a bit confusing. I'm pretty  happy that You're also going to  do a walkthrough on  the pointer chain finding process.
I'm pretty hyped up for this!
Hype hype hype

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2017-10-24 22:09:16

r3dux wrote:

Hi all,

I'm a university lecturer and Ph.D student working on I/O technologies and I love video games.

Some time ago I saw a video of a player who was completely blind competing against a fully sighted opponent in a fighting game and winning convincingly - and it blew me away! At first I couldn't understand how it was even possible, so I decided to look deeper into sonification and learn about how audio cues in games are designed and can be used. While some games are designed and implemented with accessibility in mind, many fall short in this regard - which got me thinking: would it be possible to provide additional audio cues to existing games that might help players with visual impairment?

I'm in talks with AIRA to work on menu guides. I already have two of them written at gaming.tffppodcast.com do you think I can use this in conjunction with what I've already done to make these games workable on the xbox one of these days? I've asked xbox team and they I think will be looking into this. they have an accessibility api, but this sounds better and more customizable.

I'm a blind ; video gamer as well, visit my channel at youtube.com/marrie125 and patreon.com/tffppodcast as some of my game play throughs will be exclusively there.

Follow me on  my podcast twitter and feel free to listen to my music. Also subscribe to my youtube channel. Thanks.

2017-10-26 05:31:18

@ke7zum - My software wouldn't work on the xbox because I can't run the code on the xbox. The xbox accessibility people could make their own version of SoniFight (as it's free open-source software), or they could write their own version from scratch, but I'd be very surprised if they were willing to accept and digitally sign my version.

You never know if you don't ask though, so perhaps somewhere down the line something of this kind may be a possibility. If any console dev / accessibility types would like to chime in I'd be delighted to discuss further.

2017-10-26 22:25:26

r3dux wrote:

@ke7zum - My software wouldn't work on the xbox because I can't run the code on the xbox. The xbox accessibility people could make their own version of SoniFight (as it's free open-source software), or they could write their own version from scratch, but I'd be very surprised if they were willing to accept and digitally sign my version.

You never know if you don't ask though, so perhaps somewhere down the line something of this kind may be a possibility. If any console dev / accessibility types would like to chime in I'd be delighted to discuss further.

I believe they arlady heard about you guys, and want to try andn implement this. Talk to @xboxsupport on twitter about this. I know some of the people there kind of, as I'm on the insider program, which actually does not mean much, but hey, it works.

Follow me on  my podcast twitter and feel free to listen to my music. Also subscribe to my youtube channel. Thanks.