2017-09-30 22:48:32

Hello all, as you can guess by the topic title.  I'm thinking on switching from IOS, is there any similar gestures that you would use in talkback that's similar to voiceover, or is there a way that I can make it feel more voiceover like seeing his amuse to those gestures, I do not mind switching but I just wonder how big the gap is going to be responses would be greatly appreciated, cheers

“The fear of loss is a path to the dark side. Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy.
The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” —

2017-10-01 08:49:18

Greetings,
Not that I would like to affect your view in any form, for any reason or because I hold my statement to be a said and done fact, but I still don't recommend switching to Android as it does not offer a satisfactory experience in daily basis.
For more information on this matter, you can look at various topics posted on this forum that well concretise what I started to say.

2017-10-01 10:28:35 (edited by queenslight 2017-10-01 10:43:12)

Greetings!

For the best jump from IOS to Android, your best bet is to get a Samsung device, particularly either the S-Line, the A-Line, or the J-line, depending on your residing country.

Voice Assistant (formally called "Galaxy Talkback,")is the only screen reader on Android which has voiceover-like gestures, including the "magic tap" feature which Google's own"Talkback" does not have.
As a quick side note, if you'd like to email Samsung thoughts and suggestions, send an electronic mail to
[email protected]
, and visit their USA Mobile Accesibility info page over at
http://www.samsung.com/us/accessibility/mobile/
To start Voice Assistant on the Galaxy S8/Note8 and later, use "Volume-Up+Power." On the A/J-Line, use the "Triple-Click-Home" action. In addition if using a Samsung device with "Bixby" on it, you can now turn on/off Voice Assistant with your voice, which Talkback from Google will never be able to do sadly.

For a nice round up of Voice Assistant Gestures, please check out the below articles from
Android Central
and
Media Acces Australia

I hope all of the above helps.

2017-10-01 16:46:35

I do not recomend j line.
Sincerely.
I had some in use and they are not good.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-10-01 17:42:14

Save yourself the trouble, and just don't switch. I don't have much experience with android, but I have tried talkback, and its kind of terrible. I know apple are very encrypted, I know how annoying that is for programers using python, but from an accessibility standpoint, apple is and probably will always be the better way to go.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-10-01 20:02:10

Let's not turn this into android vs apple debate
There are pros and cons to both
My dad has a galaxy s6 and it does seem to be accessible, however I haven't used much

Pics or it didn’t happen

2017-10-01 21:47:09

OK, so, no IOS VS Android, but don't switch unless you are willing to be patient; it's just that simple.  While it's true that iOS sandboxes you in, most of it is self explanitory and holds your hand.  Android supposes that you already have an idea of what you want and how you want it and will, for the most part, make you do all the legwork required to get it.  This could be as simple as installing a shell or rooting your device entirely to work with a different mod to the one already set on your device, which may or may not contain a ton of bloatware you may or may not need, may or may not want, and which may or may not make your phone do a bunch of fun/annoying things you may or may not like.
And no, for every single Android loving guru out there, I'm not just saying that to be malicious... I've spent time with droids and I'd love to be one of you again but I just don't have the time.  The day Droids are on par accessibility wise with voiceover, I'll rethink this through and make the switch, because I miss all the power I once had.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-10-02 04:07:35

My biggest issue is the braille support on android.   I have a smart beetle. Do you all know if BRLTTY  supports the smart beetle? Also can you use the samsung magic tap to answer calls? If so, I may consider an s8 or something.... But if not then iPhone  8 plus it is...

2017-10-02 16:22:52 (edited by queenslight 2017-10-02 16:40:45)

@austin

You mentioned about the 'Smart Beetle" with BRLTTY. Your in luck!
Check out the following:
http://brltty.com/doc/KeyBindings/brl-hm-beetle.txt
Enjoy the read!
As for the "Magic Tap," ll Samsung phones from S6 onwards with Android 7.0 and newer, support answering/hangingup calls with that lovely feature.
You can also answer/reject calls withBixby Voice, by simply saying "Bixby"or holding down "Bixby Key," followed by either "Accept" or "reject."

@Anyone

For those of you who'd like to download the latest version of BRLTTY for your Android device, please click the link below:
http://www.brltty.com/archive/brltty-5.5.apk
, updated 2017-04-18

For BRLTTY Android documentation, please visit:
http://mielke.cc/brltty/archive/Android … droid.html

2017-10-03 22:53:46

Wow. That is awesome. I just picked up my  iPhone 8 plus. I'm still not a fan of the way android does audio. I still prefer IOS for a lot of things. May wait a year or 2 and look at android again.

2017-10-03 23:33:55

Don't know, but I first tell you I know I will purchase a Galaxy Note 8 for my birthday, if that's the case, I will know how to activate voice assistant.

73 Wj3u

2017-10-04 18:25:05

To be honest.
I don't know.
One thing to note, once you are in a system you are pritty much locked into it.
Android maybe not so much but there are different transfers and the like.
Apple, well the fact is once you buy their stuff like music then you are locked to apple devices for all time.
It depends what you want or need in a device.
If you like to geek about and hack about, and customise, and all that the power of an android is unmatched.
If you though have just come from simbian as I have and just want to use it with all its extra access and interface that does not change much from os to os I'd still choose ios over android.
I have both and while the android devices I have used in the past I just don't like some interfaces, as well as that some of the apps are inaccessible for update etc.
My aunt got it so her droid got dammaged after her battery died, she got a cheaper chinese replacement, it got hot, she got a refund and another one but the device was dammaged, and she lost all her stuff.
She has a samsung and likes it, so do some of my friends.
I had a scare yesterday where my cell previder anounced they are switching off 2g making my old phone useless however it supports umts which is 3g so its no problem.
To be honest I am unsure what I will do.
A business friend recomends I use an android device as a phone and apple like a pod or something just for apps and gaming so I have the best of both worlds but I just don't know.
I am still primarily a win7 and maybe later 10 user on a desktop.
99.9% of everything is done on there including gaming.
The only reason I am even thinking of even buying an ios device even if its just a pod is because sonnar really want me to be using an touch device to game as computers for the new generation of games especially online are just so yesteryear.
But what can I say, my first os was dos.
then win95, then well you get the picture.
Point is I am unsure if if my phone dies if I just switch to a basic phone that just does text and calls I am still undecided where I go.
I want it to work and work for a while.
I know for example that while expensive I only have to deal with 1 solution itunes.
And since itunes is only for music now and data updates and backups, I will only have to deal with 1 or 2 packages which means it will be less of a learning curve.
On the other hand, android units will I don't know, I have no idea exactly what.
Then again, maybe if simple is all I need maybe a windows phone will be best.
True most apps are not accessible from the store and with ms discontinuing their music service, ms accounts and the ms store will become completely useless to the blind in short order, still...

2017-10-06 08:46:49

I would say, if you want to truly learn Android, never ever compare it with voice Over. It is like comparing apples to oranges. Android is getting better by the day as an operating system, but you definitely need passion to learn.
Think of it, Apple makes their own OS and so their own phone and computer, whereas Android is made by google, and its openness allows customizations by various manufacturers. I'd say go for Stock Android for better experience and better in terms of update delivery.

2017-12-28 23:46:11

Hello to all. I'm so sick of apple and their crap. There is one thing that really holds me back from getting a note 8. I have a smart beetle braille display and have really come to rely on braille over the past 2 and a half years. Is it true you can use BRLTTY with the smart beetle and the voice connect samsung screen reader? If so, I would totally switch. Also I like to hook my phone to people's car stereos
and turn off the speech and use braille to interact with my phone and I could not do that with my nexus 6p and braille back. Thank you all so much for the help.

2017-12-29 12:45:43

That I can't really tell, but from what I saw on Inclusive Android, BRLTTY has it's own screen reader. I never really used a Samsung device or any Android device connected to a braille display for that matter, so I don't know if you would have to suspend or disable the Samsung screen reader when using BRLTTY, hopefully someone knows these things more than I do.

2017-12-29 13:50:43

While I have never had an android phone, I have had android tablets and loved them. So my feeling on the subject is this. If you separate people into two camps, those who are technically minded, and those who are not, the former will have no problem switching to android. Will it be a process, yes, will it take some time, yes, but it can be done. Those in the second camp probably should not switch. That's not a slur on them, its just if you use your hone for email, texts, instagram, snapchat, pinterest and the like, and that's it, you're going to cause  yourself much pain, frustration and the like by switching.

Everybody that says droids are not accessible, I would like very much to line them up in two long columns, so you have two people standing abreast of each other back the line. I would like to start at the head of this line, taking one person in one hand, the other in the other, and banging their heads together, then throwing them aside and moving onto the next two. It's getting closer and closer to that iPhone-like 'it just works' principal, but its not there yet. That doesn't mean you can't use it at all though.

It is absolutely not a requirement that you root your device to use it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-29 14:16:11 (edited by pulseman45 2017-12-29 14:18:20)

ironcross32 wrote:

While I have never had an android phone, I have had android tablets and loved them. So my feeling on the subject is this. If you separate people into two camps, those who are technically minded, and those who are not, the former will have no problem switching to android. Will it be a process, yes, will it take some time, yes, but it can be done. Those in the second camp probably should not switch. That's not a slur on them, its just if you use your hone for email, texts, instagram, snapchat, pinterest and the like, and that's it, you're going to cause  yourself much pain, frustration and the like by switching.

Everyone seems to agree on that. I know someone who works as a trainer for assistive technology and that's pretty much exactly what she says.
In fact, even in mainstream forums where accessibility isn't discussed that much, you still see pretty similar opinions.

2017-12-29 20:01:49

Nick Adamson did a podcast on switching to Droid you can find it here and learn somethings about the differences between IOS and Droid.

http://www.ndadamson.com/blindlyswitching/

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-12-29 23:49:52 (edited by austingrace 2017-12-30 02:56:14)

Hey all. I really appreciate your feedback. I consider myself very technical minded so I don't mind a challenge if you will. I'm currently paying for my 8 plus through the tmobile jump program. Another thought i had was trading the phone back to tmobile and get the note 8 and an iPad through them. I still want IOS in my life for seeing AI and blindsquare and things like that.  But nearby explorer is good on android as well. Also another thing, I'm a very heavy braille user and have grown to like using my smart beetle with my iPhone and voiceover.  The main reason why I have not gotten the note 8 is because I don't want to buy the phone and find that BRLTTy will not fit my needs. I do know that brailleback  does not work with the smart beetle.

2017-12-30 01:51:05

I use a blu energy x android 5.1 with latest talkback. it works fine for my daily needs. and in february I plan on getting a moto e4 plus with android 7.1 on it.

2017-12-30 07:10:19

I'd like to try android at some point for curiosity, but at the moment the initial argument which stopped me even considering Android back in 2012 still seems to hold true unfortunately, namely what games, useful aps and other things can you get on  Android that are not available elsewhere?

People know my opinion of Itunes as a platform and the way Ios handles music and data, however that doesn't stop the fact that there are still far more accessible games and other Aps unique to Ios that I'd miss on Android if I switched completely, and even if I considered Android as a possible extra system, I'm not absolutely sure of what Android could do for me that I do not already do on Ios/windows (not to mention my new Alexa).

this isn't intended as an Android bash at all, I'm certainly not one of those raving Apple fan boys who thinks apple is god, it's just a genuine problem, since from what I've gathered  while it's certainly true Google's development policies as regards authorising aps and allowing data transfer etc are certainly nicer than  Apple's, I've just not really heard  of much which is unique that Android can practically do on a daily basis that would incline me to  invest time or money in it, much less switch from Ios.

Indeed from what I've gathered Android seems to be a system where the user needs to put in a lot of time and effort learning the system, uninstalling bloat wear and reconfiguring and in the endn do less with it.
After all while there are one or two unique android games, a lot are also repeated on Ios and there are still a lot of games and aps that run on  Ios but not Android.

Whether the aps being produced for Google assistant will change this, or whether there will be enough  developers working on Android in the future I don't know., but that seems  to be where I am with this at the moment.

it is why I bought an Iphone 8 this christmas (which is currently at my parents waiting to be unboxed and used), and never even considered Android as an alternative.

Of course, if anyone can! tell me about stuff that Android can do  which is unique to it as a platform I'd very much like to know about it, and  certainly if I ever get the chance to try out an Android device, at  tech demonstration or the like I'll take it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-31 00:53:16

@austingrace

Here's a list for all keybindings for BRLTTY (HIMS included):

http://mielke.cc/brltty/doc/KeyBindings/

@Dark

I'd strongly reccommend getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab A, especially if you'd like to dive in to using an Android device without wishing to by a phone:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tablets/galaxy-tab-a/

Considering you got both "Voice Assistant" and "Talkback" and can switch between them with ease if you'd like at anytime, you have a pretty nice way of testing Android apps with Accessibility.

I still have to make an actual list of all "Google Assistant Apps" for the forum." For now though, check out the following:

https://support.google.com/googlehome/a … 9814?hl=en

2017-12-31 10:11:22

@Trenton, thanks for the recommendation, but my point here was more that I don't particularly see what Android would do that Ios/windows/alexa wouldn't do, ie, what is unique about the system, feel free to set me straight on it's advantages, since I am genuinely interested in what advantages android gives other than the freedom from the Apple of evil big_smile.

I would be glad to have a poke around at an Android device for the sake of curiosity as I said, but I'm afraid I don't have a couple of hundred quid to spend on something just to poke around with, if I won the lottery fair enough, though likely I'd still be too busy playing Hero's call, going to  disney or hiering goons to kidnap the president of nintendo and tickle him until he makes accessible games  to bother with one then big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-31 17:20:41

@dark

The following podcast (produced by the same guy who created “Park Boss,”) may be of interest to you:

www.ndadamson.com/blindlyswitching/

Since you are a gamer, the one reason why I’d at least pick up a 50 to 100 USD tablet, is Android version of “delight Games,” come out quicker than the series on IOS, unless you do not mind waiting.

I would like to let ya know by the way, Microsoft Edge for both IOS and Android is 100 percent accessible, same going for all  Microsoft apps.

One thing to keep in mind about Android vs IOS for now, is that you currently can’t “download” stuff to your Apple device via the web browser to the internal storage. I’m not sure how much that would matter to you however.

Web browsing on Android acts mor like how Windows does it (especially if using a keyboard, though not sure how the learning curve would be for you with that either.

Two more things to note:

For the official docs on Android Accessibility, please see:

Http://support.google.com/talkback

, and for a community similar to “Applevis” (though for Android users, check out:

Http://inclusiveandroid.com

Bonus!

You “can” subscribe to the “Eyes-Free” Android mailing list provided by Google using either:

Http://g.co/eyesfreegroup

Or

[email protected]

, though that group is “high traffic.”

2018-01-02 19:08:24

Hello everyone. I'm taking the plunge and getting a galaxy s8 plus. The note is too much phone but the 8 plus is fine. i can't get an answer on the smart beetle situation so I'll answer it for you guys once I get the phone and learn it some. I do understand that braille back finally has a beta but it is from July. Also I will try out brltty. I don't know how many people own a smart beetle and an android device.  I feel like that android can be just as useful  for blind people and I want to prove that point over these next few months. Because quite frankly, I'm getting sick of apple. I have been using an iPhone for almost 8 years. My first iPhone was an iPhone 4 back in 2010 on ios 4. I have had every iPhone except the 4S and 7. But I think the smart beetle can be used on android without much issues. I don't know when the new official version of brailleback will be released but hopefully soon. I heard that that beta allows for grade 2 braille input and that was my biggest issue with brailleback on my 6p.