2017-09-17 16:59:08

I don't plan to do anything, I have an iPhone 5 SE and that is already farther into the Apple econoverse than I ever wanted to be.

2017-09-23 07:20:43

The Apple Watch is the only thing that caught my attention, because of LTE. But it only works with "Approved" carriers, you need to share carrier between watch and phone, and--at least at the moment--there's a monthly recurring fee. So, that's a no, then. For now, anyway. My second-gen watch with Wi-Fi is just fine, in many many cases. Give Apple time to iron the bugs out, and widen the net of supported carriers, before considering a new watch. Or buy it now, to future-proof yourself, if that's your whim.

For the loss of the App Store in iTunes, the trick is tethered caching or the caching service, both built in to macOS as of 10.13 High Sierra (previously, you had to purchase macOS Server separately to use the caching service). Of course, for these, you need a Mac--either one running on your local network to offer the caching service, or one to which your iOS devices attach directly via USB, for the tethered cache. It is regrettable, indeed, that Apple did not see fit to make these features integral to iTunes, so that it could be used by Windows users. However, it does solve the problem that using the native App Store app on each device consumes bandwidth for every download of the same content, and really, it is an elegant solution when implemented.

The other major downside for Windows users has been the loss of iBooks management. You can't use iTunes to manage a library of books in one place, both those bought by iBooks and those you import into your library. For a long time now (since OS X 10.9 Mavericks) this has actually been a Windows advantage, since Mac users have been forced to use the turd that is iBooks for Mac. However, if you take precautions to manage any external content in a directory of your own, you should never lose data. Either access the files over the network with iOS, or else use iTunes to manually copy-paste those specific files (it works for tones, too, by the way). Additionally, you can go all cloudy, at the expense of having no local copies of books at all, if that is your preference (it's not mine, personally).

Just myself, as usual.

2017-09-23 21:10:19

Oh apple, why do you have to be such a turd at times? Anyway, at least I have a mac laying around. I guess that I knew that my mac book would be useful for something. I wonder if apple would come out with those caching services for windows. It would be sweet in away. I am one of those that really like to have my content locally stored. If I had the money, I would have an onsite server filled up with all of my favorite movies, TV shows, and music. As things stands, I do not have the cash to buy all of the movies and TV shows I would like. Even if I did, what are the chances of me having enough to buy the server with enough disk space to hold it all. I did not even know about the caching service in 10.13. I did some looking on line today and from what I saw, some do not get the bandwidth problems. They assume that if you are on Wi-Fi that you would have enough to be getting on with. It is as if they totally forget about those who either have slow connections and or are on some kind of satellite connection with low bandwidth caps. Yes, I have made use of those satellite connections before, and I can tell you that they stink. LOL. Yes, I live out in the middle of know where and a five megabit DSL came to my area within the last five years. Before then, it was pretty much dialup, satellite and or a cell phone connection. As for the cell phone connection, I pretty much have to step outside to place and receive calls seeing that I get no service within the house. Sometimes I go to a family  member’s house in another state here in the US, and they have some kind of wireless that is supposed to be 10 megabits down, but is often two or three megabits down. They do not have much option there either seeing where they are at. So to say that apple is a turd is a bit of an understatement at times. Anyway, As for IOS 11, I am going to wait a bit to see how that turns out for others. As for the IOS devices, I have no reason to upgrade this year. I am on an IPhone 6S and I have an IPad aer two. I even have an IPod touch fifth gen laying around somewhere. So, as you can see, this could had been good enough to make me want to upgrade, but the devices just does not seem that much better than what I have. Having very little cash on me at this time is also another reason for me not to go in for the upgrade. I got my phone a week or so before we even found out about the IPhone seven. September second would be the exact day of last year. If I only weighted about a week or two, I would had gotten a better deal on my phone, but I sort of needed a new phone anyway. As for the Apple TV, seen one, but I never owned one of my own. So, I kind of have mixed feelings there. As for the Apple watch, I do not miss it at this time. I have gone a number of years without a watch on my wrist, and I am not too sure I want to start wearing one again now. Speak in which, I need to go and see if I can get the Wi-Fi calling enabled on my account. It may get me in better graces with vocational rehab seeing that I either have to be out on the road while talking, or visiting, and or outdoors when talking to them.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-09-23 21:24:09

I don't know about anyone else but even if I was an Apple fan, I found nothing in Apple's new offerings that had a feature I couldn't live without. Over all they were all rather underwhelming if you ask me.

My iPhone SE works just fine for my needs, plus I prefer it's smaller format than the larger formats of the newer iPhones. Besides that, it has a Home button with Touch ID and a headphone jack.

As for iOS 11, I'm going to take Joe Steincamp's advice and wait for 11.1 before upgrading my phone as there are some major accessibility bugs in 11.0.

2017-09-23 22:25:02

over all i found the new features good. it's just the fact that apple didn't really add something new that makes it worth to rase the price of their new Iphone that high. it's simply not worth it if you look at other phones on the market and compare them with what apple has implemented in their latest phone.
the new samsung phone has all the things that apple has and they still managed to sell it at 700 dollars.
although the screens  and other component for the s8 is more expensive and the value of the phone goes down when you change screen etc. that's not the case with Iphones .
however. i'm still not sure if i really want to buy this new phone.
over all apple makes products with good quality that lasts longer than samsung devices does but this time it's ismply not worth to buy their new phone

2017-09-24 01:18:22

Especially the iPhone X, there is no way in hell I'm going to pay $1,000 for a phone regardless of whether I buy it outright or over a two or more year period. The most I've ever paid for a phone was $500 and even then I thought it was over priced.

2017-09-24 01:52:16

exactly orco. and let's not mention that you get tricked when you buy phone of carriers. because you don't get the 12 months worenty that you're promised from apple. and all that cuz the carrier activated the phone before and godknows how many months before. now though you can check it with apple support.
i'm not going to buy something that cots 1k dollars if it doesn't match up to a pc. because i can get a pc with good specks for that money instead

2017-09-24 13:34:05

By the way, if you haven't found out yet, tweeting or posting to facebook if you're a "diceworld" phan, is "broken" thanks to apple removing twitter and FB account integration as of IOS 11.

In addition, Outlook is currently broken and won't be fixed till IOS 11.1, plus Anchor FM on IOS (if you use that platform,) currently can't "echo" or "share segments, which the Anchor team is aware of.

Yep, I have an IPod Touch 6th gen, but its only used for those apps which Android don't have as good accessibility, or if its an IOS exclusive.
Now if "audio editing" on Android was easy to do... *sigh*

Yall keep talking here, me gonna go start a new thread. smile

2017-09-24 20:22:38

They removed twitter and facebook? Ouch. At least I haven't upgraded yet before I found out about that the hard way. Now I can tell someone why their facebook messenger might not be working. LOL. It seems like the longer I weight, the more I find wrong. rofl. Now to figure out a way to prevent IOS from downloading itself until IOS 11.1 at the very least. Any tips in that regard? What else is wrong with IOS 11? I know that I also got to find a good way to play around with some of the android devices in the future so I know which one would serve my needs if I ever switch. As a side note, I have a lot of apps on my phone. So it could hirt a bit to switch if I ever switch. For example, I am not to sure what I would use in place of voice dream reader on android.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-09-24 21:17:21 (edited by sito 2017-09-24 21:17:55)

wel, as about the accessibility issues. i have to call bullshit on that. there are no issues at all with voiceover really as i see it.
also, where do you log out from icloud? i haven't found it in the settings

2017-09-24 21:24:33

Although there is "Voice Dream Reader" for Android, it doesn't support "Neo Speech" voices if that matters to ya. That's a dev thing, not an Android thing. *Sigh*

Most folks prefer an app called "Voice Allowed Reader."

2017-09-25 00:00:45

Yay! It's about time!

I tried both facebook and twitter many years ago before I lost my vision and thought that they were a waste of time,so I deactivated both accounts and have never been inclined to reactivate either of them.