2017-09-13 13:23:06

I was just looking at the user guide for the Book port Plus. I
remember back when I was attending high school I remember using a book port. I am not too sure what high school is called over in other nations. Over here, it is the last four years of education before you attend university. Anyway, when I started university, I was loaned a victor wave, but I returned that to the university, and got myself a victor reader stream. At this time, the book port was not being sold. Plus, the victor reader stream was the device to get at this time because of the NLS support. If I remember right, I got the victor reader stream around 2009 or so. Now I have the new gen victor reader stream. That basically bring me to the question of who uses what device for reading books and why? I am assuming that the victor reader stream is the most popular simply because of it being the only player of its’ type for a few years. Now days, there are other devices like it on the market with slightly different features. Plus there are apps on IOS like voice dream reader that will take care of most of what the victor reader stream will do. Note the word most. You have to get more than one app to cover the features that victor reader stream covers and each of those apps has a different lay out. Plus you can get kindle books from amazon. Add to that, we can use our phones to do OCR on the printed page. Add to that, FS is improving the OCR feature in JAWS so that JAWS can use the connected scanner to your PC to access the printed page. Anyway, let the discussion begin.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-09-13 20:02:59

Personally, I'm not in favour of special ebook reading devices nowadays that the attention is focused to computers, smartphones and tablets. Even the Synthesisers have got better and reading is more enjoyable. If it were Braille ebook readers, then my view would change. But if it is just a device that supports copying and pasting of files whose formats are supported by the sistem of the device, and you are offered reading with a synthesised voice; no, I wont accept the deal.
Personally, I read using my computer, using JAWS and Adobe Digital editions or solely Kurzweil 1000, which is a magnificent program for reading books.

2017-09-14 20:55:07

What is the best EBook reading app for IOS?

2017-09-14 21:30:43

The built-in app, iBooks is of course the most accessible one, and if you don't mind spending 9 dollars, Voice Dream Reader will help you more.

2017-09-14 22:52:47

I thought that the price of voice dream reader has went up to $15 or so. I could be wrong though. To me, voice dreamer is the app I like. It seems like there might be a another app out there that does something like voice dream reader, but I can not remember the name. All I recall is that voice dreamer has just the cost for the app it self and no monthly charges for the different voices like the other app I thought I heard about. Anyway, voice dream reader has the different voices you can get if you are willing to buy them within the app. Not only that, the selection of file types is nice. For example: TXT, HTMl, EPUB, PDF, MP3, and ETC. The fact that I can have the app can get the books from dropbox. In short, I preference is to to read my bookshare books with this app instead of my victor reader stream. Yes, my stream does get use for books from NLS, but it is voice dream reader  for stuff that requires TTS. I also have been known to use Openbook to scan stuff into the PC. I also have the KNFB app on my phone plus there is the seeing AI thing that MS has for IOS which is an app that I need to try out. Anyway, I yes, I agree that IBooks is a good start. I, myself, would love to see a good braille EReader. It is funny that there is a stand alone EBook reader for the sighted while we move over to the phone and PC. As far as I know, the kindle makes a good EBook device for the sighted because of the EInk display. To bad that the Bard app does not always remember the my spot. Of course the bard app does not always handle the focus being taken away by phone calls and the like all that well either. That is basicly why I still use the stream for NLS. Plus it is a little quicker getting the NLS books on to the stream.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-09-14 23:51:06

@CW, I think you mean Easy Reader from Dolphin. It is free, very promising, but it's still in its imfancy.
As regards Seeing Eye, I think it too is in its in imfancy as the only source of getting images is through your photo library or by taking a picture. It may have a very good OCR engine, but say, I scan a page with my scanner and upload the file to dropbox, there is no way I could precisely get the image converted to text, as Seeing eye cannot recognise that it is an image with text, but it is recognised as a scene. What do I mean by "scene" is; the Seeing Eye divides the types of images into channels, that stand as a recognition section of images which portray a document, a short text, a person, or a scene. Depending on what you want to photograph, you have to select one of the afore mentioned sections for a satisfactory recognition.
Many people could praise Seeing Eye as the best program for recognising images, but my favourite still remains TapTapSee which sometimes gives incredibly accurate descriptions.