2017-09-03 23:22:47

Soft stuff with tensile strength, though. I'm talking soft tortillas and the like. It always feels like it's cut when there's still a sizable connection to the rest of the item, and if there's more on the plate which interferes in a simple pull-the-knife test, it's hard to tell without lifting the thing with the fork and guessing based on wait. I mean, it's like cutting a stack of paper with a knife. Sure, you can try, but you'll have a much easier time with scissors. ... ah, so, yeah, I suppose that answered itself. Although using a fork and a knife like scissors seems challenging.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-09-05 23:54:55

I never gave thought to cutting all at once vs cutting as you go. When I was younger and sighted people cut my meat, they would do it all at once, but that was for expediency. I'm in the US,and I've always just cut a bite as I eat. I can start eating faster, talk to tablemates while I eat, and it's just easier to keep track of a hunk of meat rather than all the little bits.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2017-09-06 01:03:09

Cinnamon more or less described how it is for me. That LCB thing I mentioned earlier did include them saying to cut as you go, though. However, that was specifically for the banquet at the NFB National Convention, which ... makes an effort to look fancy, I suppose.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-09-06 12:47:20

CAE_Jones

I use special kitchen scissors for cutting several types of foods.
I cut frozen pancakes before microwaving them.
I've also cut toast into squares to make crutons.
They are stainless steel and can be washed.

2017-09-06 15:51:24

One amusing fact about the cutting up meat etiquette, is apparently Kaiser Wilhelm who was Emperor of Germany during the first world war suffered very severe muscular problems and so couldn't hold a knife and fork.
apparently he had to depute someone to cut his meat for him, but because he was the big manly emperor of Germany nobody could know! he had to have his meat pre cut as it was so shameful, so the servant deputed to do this was sacked immediately afterwards, meaning he went through lots of servants big_smile.

As I recall last time I had Tortillas they were rolled so I could pretty much just start at the end and work inwards, still for the same reason my lady does not like spaghetti or taglitelli and prefers smaller types of pasta that are stabable.
the thing I tend to have problems with over here is Yorkshire pudding, which is pretty hard to describe if you've not had one. My lady partly compares them to American Biscuits (which are certainly not what we call Biscuits over here though that is another mine field).
Anyway, Yorkshire puddings are round things that are perhaps an inch high and concave, and are composed of a batter of flour water, some salt  and a little oil left to rise. They're very nice when done properly, but a pain to cut since they are either very flaky, or very chewy depending upon the cook, also they usually come with a full roast beef dinner with all trimmings, meaning mash, roast potatoes, three or four types of vegetables and of course the meat gravy so you have a full plate.

What is also confusing is  weight and size can vary according to cook, so sometimes you can have a single Yorkshire that is possible to pick up with a fork and gnosh, sometimes they can very large, sometimes indeed you can get what is called a filled Yorkshire pudding which contains the rest of the meal and are lovely, though quite a nightmare to eat.

you also sometimes get the wonderfully named Toad in the hole, which is a Yorkshire pudding with sausages cooked inside it, again, very nice if the chef knows what she/he is doing and you have some decent sausages, but can be a pain to eat since you don't always know which way around the sausage is.
Again a case where stab, hack and hope is probably your best bet, and of course as per usual having a good sharp knife helps.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-09-07 15:35:54

Hmmm, interesting article tjt, that American method with switching hands seems very complex to me.
I  was taught the continental method as described, with the fork in the left hand and knife in the right, cutting as I go, and putting the cutlery on the plate while say having a drink.
I don't know what the author of that post means about "four oclock position" when finished though.
I was always told that when you were finished with a meal, you place the knife and fork together across the  handles at the six position.
when I was at boarding school, if you wanted seconds you were told to put the knife and fork apart at 45 degree angles, but that is the only place I've encountered that sort of etiquette, usually in proper restaurants and silver service meals I've had you'd be offered more as the course progressed (that was what was done at formal meals at university).

I'm also not sure about putting unused utensils on the plate, though then again we don't have a salad course in the uk so you'd pretty much do the same with a knife and fork each course, i.e. stick them on the plate as described. You'd also leave a bread knife on your side plate if you'd used it to cut or butter bread rolls during the meal rather than putting it on your main plate.

If you say ordered steak or fish and the waiter brings you a fish or steak knife, they usually replace the old standard knife your not using.

Then again in fairness, most actual upper class people I've met have either been salt of the earth, black lab and wellies as a good friend of mine (herself from a long line of old navy officers), puts it, or extremely arrogant self obsessed arse holes, there isn't really an in between (I once heard from someone who shared a tent with prince William on a camping trip that as a teenager he fell very much into the latter category), so not surprising really.

For more on British etiquette you can see The brit picker's guide found here which has a lot of handy info about the Uk, mostly written for the perspective of Harry potter fanfic writers but interesting none the less (it was highly amusing to read through with my lady, her being something of an anglophylic American ex pat, she even told me as a little girl she longed to marry an English tenor which is sort of amusing) big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)