2017-08-26 17:09:26

Hello everyone,

I've been using a windows phone for almost 2 years now, and I'm currently using Windows 10 mobile on my Microsoft Lumia 640 XL Dual-SIM smartphone. The built-in apps work great with Narrator, and if you get any apps from the store that are made by Microsoft, there's a chance that you'll find them to be accessible, except for games. However, I've found most apps from the windows store to be either completely unusable or have several accessibility issues that prevent me from using them to the fullest. Aside from the issues, the rest is fine.

I'd like to know if any of you have, or have been, using a windows phone, and if so, what your experiences are. As I've never seen a discussion thread specifically dedicated to Windows Phones in particular, I thought I'd post this thread.

Thank you in advance.

2017-08-26 18:08:48

Hi,
I have actually not seen or heard from anyone that has or has had a windows phone, so I'd like to here a bit more of your experience or anyone else's too. more of detail and all that. smile
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-08-27 00:02:12

I wouldn't recommend Windows 10 on a computer, let alone on a phone!

2017-08-27 01:27:36 (edited by Chris 2017-08-27 02:10:27)

I tried Windows phone 8.1 and the experience wasn't as polished as it could be. Some of the settings screens didn't speak at all and just said "window". Nearly all third party apps from the store didn't work with Narrator. I heard this is because most developers didn't code the apps with the proper APIs that Narrator uses. What is the current version of Windows 10 Mobile like? My Windows Phone doesn't support the update. Has Microsoft been adding features to Narrator like they have with the computer version? Does Windows 10 Mobile finally support Bluetooth keyboards? The version of Windows Phone 8.1 I have does not. If so, can you use Narrator commands like caps lock left and right arrow and all the others that can be found in the computer version?

Honestly, I think Windows 10 Mobile is about to become obsolete. If it's true that Microsoft is preparing to ship a full version of Windows 10 for ARM, that will be excellent!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-09-01 17:06:42

I have always wanted to try a windows phone but was not sure how good narrator worked with the mobile OS.  That would be so cool if you could put nvda on there.

2017-09-01 19:14:22

it works bad for me:)

2017-09-07 01:35:44

Hello guys!
Could anyone make a demo of the most used apps, like facebook, twitter, WhatsApp, etc. for windows 10 mobile with the narrator?

2017-09-07 18:23:17

Windows Phone was discontinued recently, so we can't hope for anything better than it is.
I've played some time ago (in 2014) with Lumia 930 that was running on WP 8.1. The TTS responce was slow, and that's a big minus. The only good thing is that in Internet Explorer Narrator implemented navigation commands by headings, links etc. by flicking up or down. I was impressed then, because I thought that that's a good sign and that Microsoft will improve accessibility of WP, but nothing happened. No additional languages or TTS choices, and you are even forced to switch to english, otherwise Narrator will not work because english is the only Narrator's supported language on WP.
Additionally, we have far larger choice of applications on other platforms such as Android and iOS than we have on WP.

2017-09-24 15:03:54

Hrvoje what have you smoked? i'm sure you can switch language now on windows phones with win 10 mobile. but you cant without eyes