2008-06-17 01:54:33

Hi,

I'm rather upset by the amount of closed topics I've seen lately. This is a public forum, and just because topics go off topic, or are dead, doesn't mean  they should be closed. The job of a moderator is to keep topics from going out of hand, etc. not closing dead topics and off-topics. That's why we have an off-topic room. Also, I don't think a topic is "Anyone's topic" like I said, this is a public forum, and if you post a topic, you should be ready to see it go in any direction.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2008-06-17 10:48:00

Hi. topics are not closed for going off topic. some of the ones in the visitors room have been closed to prevent spam bots from posting in them (which did happen), but we also have the guest discussion topic for that.

the only topics which have been closed recently are those about game cracks, sinse those are actually harmful to audio game developement.

I hope this answers your question.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-06-17 18:29:28

Mike has talked to me about this as well, and to be honest I have noticed it as well. Look at the "Miriani Accounts?" topic in the general discussion. That did not have spam-bots, or discussion of cracking.
It was closed by CX2..

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2008-06-17 19:41:36

After someone complained about the number of different topics, which were all about dead. I did it in the hopes of preventing confusion. There is no harm in creating a fresh topic from time to time.

If people feel strongly enough about it I'm perfectly willing to reopen it, but I can assure you it wasn't because it went off topic or anything else. If that was the reason it would have been closed far sooner, and the original subject of that topic would potentially warrant mod scrutiny but it wasn't closed even after I got mod priveliges.

Now if you think I'm abusing my power go ahead and say, with rational proof and explanation. If you wish I'll also delete my forum account here and never look back. That is the only topic I've closed which could be argued with, and I've offered to reopen it if people wish and feel my reasons aren't valid.

Edit:
If you think this is a ploy or anything bear in mind many healthy forums would delete/close a topic like this for questioning moderators. I'm merely expressing I believe in community here, whatever the decision of the community. You could also have been a little more tactful in pointing fingers at me though, and straight out asked me why I did it.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-06-18 06:04:11

Sorry. I think I started this. Been awhile since I've been here.  My topic was really finished. I am off to something new. Still working on it. Very little time. But should be fun.

Yo

2008-06-18 16:20:20

ok, I'm sorry cx2... Me, and mike all should have thought: thanks.

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2008-06-18 17:44:04

speaking of closing topics, maybe this one should be?

Connor

2008-06-18 18:06:04

before you close the topic, if this is decided, i recemmend that if you close any topic to post something in the room saying why it's closed, even in the crack topics, if any new ones pop up, to tell new members, and remind us, that cracking is illegal etc. even if the reason is "because the topic is dead" then at least it will explain why the topic is closed. also, now i'd like to say something about this topic. At least we have commented on the subject and the admins ahve explained why topics ahve closed, but, reallr. i think this was a little imature to be honest. i do not want to offend anyone when saying this but you (you know who you are) should have thought before posting your messages.

2008-06-18 18:35:20

I wasn't aware of the miriani situation, being as I'm not into Muds, i tend to leave that to other people.

I'm certain though Cx2 wouldn't have closed topics out of hand, also I certainly hope he doesn't delete his account, ---- afterall then I'd have to go and learn about muds, and technical stuff, and try and do all the clever things he does, ---- which I'm absolutely not qualified for, ;D.

Personallyk, when i closed the crack topics, i did write warnings in them for exactly the reasons you mentioned aaron, and I think giving reason for topic closure is fair enough (on the rare occasions when it's necessary).

As to this topic, I for one will not, and would not recommend closing it. Afterall, this isn't supposed to be a dictatorship here, and it's much better for members to voice their grievences than storm off in a huff.

On the other hand though, people should remember that the mods (hopefully including me), are trying to work in the best interests of the forum and audio games discussion, and when  decisions like closing topics etc are made, they are for that reason.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-06-19 12:03:50

I apologise if I gave anyone concern, it wasn't my intent. Also I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "clever things" Dark, laugh.

I'll admit in hindsight closing the Miriani topic was probably not a good idea, but it seemed the most logical and quick solution at the time. Remember I'm only human too. Next time if you've got a problem come straight out and ask me directly, okay?

As to the original post -
First as I said to the best of my knowledge it was only one topic that was closed like that, without it being spam or cracking. I also usually do post my reasons.
Second, there are limits to the "off topic" thing. Thread hijacking is almost universally considered rude in forums, whereas I accept and have participated in several topics where it drifted naturally from the original point. If someone is trying to get an answer though it can be very frustrating for them if people start digressing, so where I can I'll try to make sure they at least get what answer we can give them first. There is also the subject of what I've heard referred to elsewhere, and I apologise if this offends anyone, as "thread crapping". This is where if say in this topic someone posted "pink fluffy bunnies"... or if in say a topic for Technoshock someone posted "shooters suck". They don't add anything and don't serve any purpose to anyone.

I hope you find my concepts regarding off topicness acceptable, I really do try to be as liberal as possible with my interpretations and do what is in the best interests of the community. If you have any suggestions I'm more than ready to listen, just be constructive please.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-06-21 18:14:59

Hi CX2, I apologize for doing this, I should've thought better.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2008-06-21 19:17:10

Think nothing of it.

If there were any other topics you were concerned about having been closed then go ahead and ask, and either me or Dark will likely be able to answer about it.

cx2
-----