2008-06-05 08:53:14

I don't even know why I did it to tell you the truth, but a little while ago I paid a visit to the audio game maker forum. I gotta say I wonder why that site is even still up. The game exchange page features no actual downloadable games, there's been no news and the forum, aside from having become little more than a nest of spammers, is dead. I think I saw maybe one new post that actually had anything to do with the AGM and it was asking when the next update was going to be. Funny how that went, wouldn't you say? I mean before the release everyone was all excited, then the program finally gets released after months of delays and we quickly realize how unusable it actually is. The forum went to the dogs pretty quickly after that. Of course now I think about it I know why I had to pop on over there. I was talking with a friend of mine and happened to mention the AGM to her and that got me wondering if maybe, just maybe, things had changed at the forum. Needless to say, they hadn't.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2008-06-05 09:17:04

I think we'd here soon enough, ---- either here or on the audeasy list if anything did come of the Agm. I'd really like to see the program properly finished and fulfilling it's promises, but unless there is a sudden burst of funding for the game accessiblity crew, I'm not sure if that will happen.

I suppose we'll have to pin our hopes upon Tom ward and genesis, ----- though on a personal level, I'm highly engaged with writing and some other fairly major things in my life at the moment, so even if Agm or genesis was available, unless there was a way for humans to function without sleep, I'm stil not sure what I'd get done, ---- stil, it would be nice just to try something, especially as I keep having game ideas.

I think I've finally worked out a solution as to how to do a multi level scrolling platformer like Metroid or turrican in audio, even counting enemies attacking from above or below, and then of course there's the audio prince of persia and audio marrio schema, but unfortunately with no access to software these might have to stay as ideas in my brain.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-06-05 10:32:01

Or unless someone convinces whoever developed AGM to hand the source code and stuff over to someone who actually cared about delivering a quality product. I've always felt that the AGM devs rote themselves into this catch-22 situation and that it's precisely because they're not more responsive to these issues that they haven't received more feedback or funding. I too am more inclined toward Genesis, but I imagine that's going to be at least a year if not more in coming.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2008-06-05 14:32:35

but see, when you start talking about making audio games, I would really like to see a first person, present-day, shooter  I am not aginst the development of other types of games like rpg's, but that's all many people want these days  in my opinion we need something different then an rpg or space arcade shooter  that's why I am hoping for that game from Liam that he mentioned previously

Connor

2008-06-05 15:20:25

It it is sad and I also had a few good ideas to, but no way to put them into acction because of me not knowing programming.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-06-05 17:49:10

Well the reason people want RPGs is we don't have one vaguely interesting example. I admit our shooters are seriously behind the mainstream, but that is true of all genres really and we at least have some shooters. Audio Quake, Shades of Doom, Technoshock, possibly Terraformers but that is more a puzzle game in some ways I think... or would at least have been better as one.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-06-05 19:02:30

I'd argue terraformers is more a concept demo than a game, sinse none of the puzles were really difficult, but that's probably a matter of opinion.

cj, Liam's new game seemed more a walk along beat em up than an fps shooter, ---- as danger city was planned to be. this is also a type of game I'd quite like to see, and one we don't have any examples of as yet.

if you mean an fps game similar to shades, but set in the modern day, then i'd agree with Cx2, ---- while it'd be fun, I'd personally not put it on the priorities list.

while I'd myself love an exploration rpg, imho we need several game genres:

Beat em ups, both walk along and one on one, 2D platformers with an acdtual movement aspect (especially something complex), ---- and probably some others as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-06-05 19:10:36

Long term strategy games would be nice, something like Civilisation or Master of Orion maybe even something like Lords of the Realm 2. Something focused on winning the war not just the battle.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-06-05 19:25:27 (edited by FuriousD 2008-06-05 19:28:04)

As I told cj on the phone once, I am working on a fps, well, it's not exactly a shooter, but, it is kind of set in modern day.

Problem is, is that it isn't going as well as I had planned.
Ah well, but there is another game on the way,.

So, keep your hopes up cj.

i used to take things in life for granted...
now i have a beautiful daughter, and she means the world to me.
(at 19, i can say this is harder than it sounds)

2008-06-17 18:25:19

Conner,
We don't want a vidio game maker...
wink

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2008-06-17 19:36:53

"video game makers" were tried and failed in the 90s. Long may they rest undisturbed.

cx2
-----

2008-06-17 21:43:14

What do you think of AGM Brian? Since I'm a programmer I don't use it. I looked it a bit when it first came out but it seemed pretty complicated. Could that be why people aren't using it?

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2008-06-17 23:20:17

audiogamer360 wrote:

Conner,
We don't want a vidio game maker...
wink

You spelled my name wrong, its Connor, and what exactly are you referring to?

Connor

2008-06-18 14:33:34

Has anyone of you at least tried civilization 2.
I keep playing it for hours. Although most of the parts of it are not very accessible, it's still one of the best games in the spot. I also contacted the developers of freecol and they seemed really excited of helping us, so download the newest source, compile the game and at least one of the features I suggested is there. A shortcut key for sending ships back to the new world. We just have to try things that are not ment for us. I think when we'd contact the deam of freeciv, they would help us also. They all are like the audacity project. If there is at least one person in their developer lists, who reads the mails we send, we have some hope.
Don't fear your wishes.
And try at least. I also wanted to be a programmer. I never actuelly got to this, but I still want and that's why I haven't given up the hopes yet.

Languages don't influence the way we think, but they still have a world and worth in themselves. Celebrate your mother tongue, the world is a diverse place.

2008-06-18 16:10:44

CJ wrote:

but see, when you start talking about making audio games, I would really like to see a first person, present-day, shooter  I am not aginst the development of other types of games like rpg's, but that's all many people want these days  in my opinion we need something different then an rpg or space arcade shooter  that's why I am hoping for that game from Liam that he mentioned previously

Though's type's of audiogames just seem to me like they came from the vidio game industry and belong there...

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2008-06-18 17:40:26

why do you think they belong there?

So you just like to stay in your comfortable bubble of rpg's, side scrollers, and space shooters, what about inventing something that we haven't seen before

don't be so close-minded

Connor

2008-06-18 17:44:43

Nothing belongs to a certain place where it should stay. What if people would have never wanted to fly like birds. Guess what. It would take you 2 weeks to get from London to New York.

Languages don't influence the way we think, but they still have a world and worth in themselves. Celebrate your mother tongue, the world is a diverse place.

2008-06-18 19:00:55

I don't think it's unreasonable to want some game genres that are popular in the mainstream, but as I said in my last audeasy artical, i don't think the field of audio is being half as exploited as it should be, particularly in the matter of game ambience, and what is possible to hear and understand in the matter of game design.

I agree with Cx2 about the civ type game being a good idea. As to playing the mainstream version, ---- well personally i'd want some sort of way to overview my map and statistics in a game like that, rather than just working off the audio samples to react to events, ----- but then again, I'm a control freak, icemaster, is any of the game text actually accessible? or do you just work on the in game audio when events happen.

As to "Staying in a buble of rpgs 2d platformers etc" that's a trifle difficult as there aren't any yet. as I said, that's a trifle difficult sinse there aren't any as yet./ I only gave them as example sinse they would be genres of game we haven't got represented in audio, which probably should be, and which I personally can see a lot of potential and interest in.

there are several others. A decent real time football game, ---- and that's football as in Socker, for one (I had a design idea for this as well recently, even though i'm not a sports fan).

something in long term stratogy as Cx2 mentions, ---- though potentially I could see sound rts fulfilling part of this role if developement continues, partiularly in terms of much larger maps, better ai, more units, and events occurring betwene missions, ---- not to mention a decent story campeign mode (which is planned for next release I believe).

then, I'd love to see a propper! space combat game in 3D, similar to what flight commander was planned to be. A game where instead of moving from right to left, you actually have to fly your ship in 360 degrees like a plane, and have a varient of weapons and other systems to call on, ----- in fact, a complex flight game might be fun indeed (though sinse my best headphones have been on the blink and I haven't got to play 3D velosity yet, it's entirely possible we've already got one of these).

then, there's the matter of action/puzle games, the sorts of things where you move a character around a complex maze solving problems, or doing litle timing tasks, ---- similar to the bomberman or boulderdash games in the mainstream. I wasn't sure how these might turn out, but looking at aura, it's possible we'll get one soon.

then of course, there's the hole business of 2D, 2.5D, or 3D beat em ups in the one on one style, which covers a huuuuuuuuge range of games, fighting styles, interesting ideas about keyboard in put and moves, ----- not to mention the potential for great story and setting.

there are probably others people can come up with which I've missed. just to prove that rpg's aren't our only focus. Hmmmmm, maybe there's another artical for audeasy in this somewhere?

2008-06-19 11:59:46

Personally I've been considering the potential for less a space combat game, more sort of a space fleet game. Not so much the focus on weaving around and shooting at enemies (which could still be fun if it's more akin to say Freespace), but more about giving a small selection of ships and/or groups of ships varying instructions to achieve objectives. Limited sensor range would naturally be important, so you might have to carefully probe for the enemy fleet while not giving away your position too much.

As to Civ 2, I played Civ 1 and the unofficial spin off Alpha Centauri while I had sight and I fail to see how you can work out anything from audio alone. Movement didn't make sounds unless you ran into an enemy unit, and I completely fail to see how you can give cities build instructions.

cx2
-----

2008-06-19 12:06:22

so, first person 3d action game is not greatly appreciated?..
as i am developing the engine, i must know how kind of examples and games people want.

2008-06-19 19:13:16

Dark wrote:

I don't think it's unreasonable to want some game genres that are popular in the mainstream, but as I said in my last audeasy artical, i don't think the field of audio is being half as exploited as it should be, particularly in the matter of game ambience, and what is possible to hear and understand in the matter of game design.   I agree with Cx2 about the civ type game being a good idea. As to playing the mainstream version, ---- well personally i'd want some sort of way to overview my map and statistics in a game like that, rather than just working off the audio samples to react to events, ----- but then again, I'm a control freak, icemaster, is any of the game text actually accessible? or do you just work on the in game audio when events happen.   As to "Staying in a buble of rpgs 2d platformers etc" that's a trifle difficult as there aren't any yet. as I said, that's a trifle difficult sinse there aren't any as yet./ I only gave them as example sinse they would be genres of game we haven't got represented in audio, which probably should be, and which I personally can see a lot of potential and interest in.   there are several others. A decent real time football game, ---- and that's football as in Socker, for one (I had a design idea for this as well recently, even though i'm not a sports fan).   something in long term stratogy as Cx2 mentions, ---- though potentially I could see sound rts fulfilling part of this role if developement continues, partiularly in terms of much larger maps, better ai, more units, and events occurring betwene missions, ---- not to mention a decent story campeign mode (which is planned for next release I believe).   then, I'd love to see a propper! space combat game in 3D, similar to what flight commander was planned to be. A game where instead of moving from right to left, you actually have to fly your ship in 360 degrees like a plane, and have a varient of weapons and other systems to call on, ----- in fact, a complex flight game might be fun indeed (though sinse my best headphones have been on the blink and I haven't got to play 3D velosity yet, it's entirely possible we've already got one of these).   then, there's the matter of action/puzle games, the sorts of things where you move a character around a complex maze solving problems, or doing litle timing tasks, ---- similar to the bomberman or boulderdash games in the mainstream. I wasn't sure how these might turn out, but looking at aura, it's possible we'll get one soon.   then of course, there's the hole business of 2D, 2.5D, or 3D beat em ups in the one on one style, which covers a huuuuuuuuge range of games, fighting styles, interesting ideas about keyboard in put and moves, ----- not to mention the potential for great story and setting.   there are probably others people can come up with which I've missed. just to prove that rpg's aren't our only focus. Hmmmmm, maybe there's another artical for audeasy in this somewhere?

see some of those games I would like to see, like the football one & the proper space combat game

Connor

2008-06-19 19:18:27

Remember the world is made up of different people who want different types of game, just like in the mainstream there are a huge variety of games. The trouble is we don't have enough developers, or enough new games coming out, to fill all the genres. Even in the mainstream developers have specialities, the trouble with audio games is equally this means there aren't enough devs who have the interest to develop all the genres.

I'll also point out there can be huge difference between two games of the same "genre", as anyone who has played both Top Speed 2 and Rail Racer can attest to.

cx2
-----

2008-06-20 03:41:19

Aleksey wrote:

(something about 3d fps games)

More 3d action please.

James

2008-06-20 19:08:41

I understand the problem with the little amount of developers, I am simply stating you should not rule that kind of game out, so what if they are a kind of video game
that's all,

Connor

2008-06-20 19:17:57

If you mean what I said then my argument was against ruling out any types of game.

cx2
-----