2017-07-21 19:28:56 (edited by Mayana 2017-07-21 19:42:53)

Hello,
I'm sure some of you have heard about it already, and many of you prefer COG, but still. I'd like to invite you to join CYS. I've been a member for quite a while, and like it a lot. So if more people can have fun there, why not?
Site description: ChooseYourStory.com is a community-driven website centered on Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style storygames. Members create their own storygames, read and comment on other members’ storygames, participate in the forum, and improve their writing ability.
Warning: The forum is not for those who get offended very quickly. If you do something stupid, other members will Let you know. If you want to try your hand at writing, be ready to accept constructive critisism. Some of the members also love occasional arguments, so don't be surprised. If you're nice and reasonable, you should be fine.
Of course, you don't need to participate on the forum, there are more than enough stories here. If you decide to read some, try the high rated ones first, like Dead Man Walking, Eternal or Necromancer. I hope you'll have fun, and if not, there are always other places on the internet.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2017-07-22 13:52:08

I have tried the site and indeed they have a db page here

|The problem I had is that while there are some awesome things on there (dead man walking and dungeon stompage were both pretty cool), there was a hole lot of really cruddy stuff on there.

Indeed it seemed basically unless you stuck to the site's most recommended you got an ungrammatical, often stupid, marginally offensive waste of time that looked as though it had been written  by a junior school child.

The site had some cool features, and there were some great stories on there, but I found having to sift through the dross got a trifle wearing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-22 15:19:39 (edited by atgnat 2017-07-22 15:29:37)

Hi! Long time CYS user and general fan of of interactive fiction here. Mayana mentioned to me she'd posted a thread here, so I just thought I'd drop in and have a poke around the forum. This is a neat little community you guys have got. Knowledge of its existence has just doubled the number of websites I'm aware of that will load when I'm out of high speed data without requiring a lot of swearing and hair pulling on my part, so that's nice too!

Dark wrote:

|The problem I had is that while there are some awesome things on there (dead man walking and dungeon stompage were both pretty cool), there was a hole lot of really cruddy stuff on there.

Indeed it seemed basically unless you stuck to the site's most recommended you got an ungrammatical, often stupid, marginally offensive waste of time that looked as though it had been written  by a junior school child.

Oh believe me, the community is very, very aware of this. Depending on when you last visited, you might find it improved however since the aggressively bad stories are now being unpublished by the site based on ratings and user recommendations, and we lost a lot of...really quality 8 year olds when the Warrior Cats ban was put in a couple years ago, so that's definitely changed the atmosphere. It's an old old site so there's still a lot of dross hanging around from like, a decade ago when quality standards were non-existent, but the hope is new reviews will eventually straighten those out.   

Anyway, most site members are purely there for reading, but new people looking to actively contribute and give honest criticism and feedback are always wanted. And I see Mayana already brought it up, but just reiterating that the forums are definitely more geared towards (im)mature audiences with the long time members constantly trolling each other for fun in the off topic section. (Stick to the Writing Workshop and Creative Corner for more serious discussion would be my advice when starting out, but be warned that if you ask for blunt and honest criticism, you'll get it.)

e: Oh, and if anyone is a fan of superhero or 'heroic good guy' stories in general, expect a flood of them when the current contest ends at the end of August.

2017-07-22 17:09:16

@atgnat thanks for you post. I, too ahve been a bit scared about going to this website as I've heard of some kind of meh stuff on here, but it sounds like it's improving.
What do you guys also think of stuff like Choice of/Hosted Games, and stuff like Fallen London? Do you think I should stick to those, or is it worth checking out CYS as well as another option?

2017-07-22 17:27:00 (edited by Mayana 2017-07-22 17:31:24)

@Dark, thanks for posting the db link, I forgot to do that. @Atgnat pretty much said everything I wanted to, I'd just like to add that there have been a few interesting updates to the site and there's a contest going on almost every month, so you are welcome to give it another try.
@Aaron, yes, it is always worth it to try something new. Fallen London is a good game, I've been playing it for the past few days, but CYS offers a wider range of stories in different categories and has a very unique community. We also need more people for the CYS blindy army ... um, ignore that. smile What's your name on Fallen London?

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2017-07-23 00:30:54

Hmmm, Warrior cats ban?

I'm glad to hear the site has had some quality control  recently indeed I probably ought to look things over and see where things are now if it's had this much by way of updates.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-23 20:48:04

I haven't tried out fallen london yet. DOes anyone know if the iOS and android versions are accessible too, and are these versions also online only?

2017-07-24 12:01:40

Fallen London is a game I do need to investigate.
I tried the web version but found it a bit weird, especially because their paypal links didn't work quite right.
I then tried the Ios version somewhat later but the interface seemed fairly cluttered and hard to find things.
Again it's a game I need to investigate properly.

2017-07-24 14:34:28

Ah, Fallen London:

http://fallenlondon.com/

Its been awhile since I've been on there... I need to check out the Android version, since its been out for some time now.

2017-07-25 06:30:43 (edited by EndMaster 2017-07-25 09:58:42)

It’s a thankless task purging the site of the really crappy stories, but someone’s gotta do it.

I didn’t realize it when Mayana first mentioned this place to me that I’ve actually visited here in a lurking capacity before.

Anyway, just figured I'd make an account and pop in to say hey.

Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

2017-07-25 08:38:07

Hi.
The site seems interesting. I've briefly tried the Dead man walking game, and find it pretty awesome.
I have two questions:
1. Do you get any kind of achievements or trophies on your profile for completing games?
2. Is it okay to write stories in other languages than english on this website?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-07-25 09:33:10 (edited by EndMaster 2017-07-25 09:50:53)

SLJ wrote:

Hi.
The site seems interesting. I've briefly tried the Dead man walking game, and find it pretty awesome.
I have two questions:
1. Do you get any kind of achievements or trophies on your profile for completing games?
2. Is it okay to write stories in other languages than english on this website?

1. As a general rule there aren’t any direct achievements. Sometimes you get a score upon completion and it’ll show up if you make a comment on the story, but that’s usually it.

A couple authors however went a little extra and they put in some sort of code upon winning the game that you can place in your profile and it’ll show up as an image that says “I beat xxx”

Tower of Riddles by Briar Rose comes to mind, though upon checking some of the profiles, I’m not sure if the coding works anymore. There were some updates to close security gaps and it might have disabled such things.

The trophies available are more for participation on the site (Read, rating, writing stories, etc)

EDIT: Double checked and it looks like the Tower of Riddles one must still be working (And a few others). Some people might have just changed their profiles and took down the images.

2. You can if you want and there are even a couple of stories up there that aren’t in English. It’s just tougher for them to get a high rating (or a rating at all) due to most not bothering to read them.

Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

2017-07-26 08:02:12

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen