2017-07-19 16:32:26 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2017-07-20 13:46:33)

Hi everyone,
So I updated my other PC to Windows 10, and noticed that the navigation at the top of the forum is gone. I wonder if this is something having to do with the compatibility between the forum, Internet Exploder, and Windows 10?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-19 16:41:24

This seems to always work, so, try maximizing the window.

Other than that, I don't see how a newer version of the same operating system could cause a web site to be incompatible with any particular browser.

2017-07-19 18:23:45

I should dam well hope it's compatible with Ie on windows 10 since that is what I am using now big_smile.

As Orco said, occasionally there is a strange bug  where navigation elements go missing, but this is easy to fix by just changing your zoom level.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-19 20:05:12 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2017-07-19 20:05:45)

Hmm, I tried this, but another thing I noticed is that things like posts, registered, and user karma are gone. I don't know how to zoom. But I updated my PC yesterday, and it was on IE on Windows 7. So I'm sure it has to do with the relationship between the forum, IE, and Windows 10.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-19 21:34:21

I remember having this problem out of the blue a couple times. Both times it fixed itself and I never figured  out why it happend.

2017-07-19 22:06:02

Try clearing the cache and other website data from Internet Explorer.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-07-19 23:04:39

Hi!
I don't think it has anything to do with the cache. I think it has to do with the way the new graphics are set up. Maybe the navigation segmants arent' supposed to fit in a small screen, so the screen reader doesn't see it because it's not on the page. Sort of like not being able to use Voiceover if you don't have a monitor.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-19 23:18:27

IIRC, doesn't IE have a fullscreen mode? Like, F11 or something? Maybe try that, if maximizing (alt+space, x) doesn't work?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-07-20 12:21:23

I am currently using windows 10 and use ie as my browser and its definatly not the same as using it with windows 7.

I am waiting for my cousin to reformat my pc, he says he has a windows 7 installer that does not prompt you to update to windows 10. Although I have kind of got used to windows 10 I still dislike it a lot.

2017-07-20 12:46:28 (edited by pitermach 2017-07-20 12:48:44)

Whatever this is, it seems to be related to responsive design of this forum somehow. What your describing is something I get when accessing the forum on iOS. While I haven't been able to see the additional user info, I can expand the navigation area by clicking on the "audiogames.net forum" link at the top of the page so this may work for you on IE. Also, go into your display settings and make sure your screen resolution is set to its highest option supported by your laptop/monitor. If it's too small it may cause the forunm to think you have a small screen and switch to the mobile format. Failing that, consider  switching web browsers, probably to firefox as it has a similar menu layout to IE's and every screen reader now supports it just as well unless you're extremely out of date. Downgrading to Windows 7 just because of this issue is definitely overkill IMO, as Windows 10 does offer some advantages, including under the hood improvements to things like UIA that make screen readers more responsive in some applications, that's beside things like the awesome OCR engine that NVDA will support in the next version along with the image description features coming to Narrator in the fall update.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2017-07-20 13:45:36

Hi!
What does OIA stand for, You mentioned that it was something that comes with Windows 10. Also, I believe Windows 10 is the only operating system that lets you build 3D objects for use with 3D printers with the 3D builder app.
Hmm, I'll have to try that and see if it works. Thanks for your suggestion about changing the screen resolution.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-20 14:37:17

Hmmm, this is odd since I'm using windows 10 and ie and have no problems.
I have seen the issue where some things disappear from the forum, I had it both once on this windows 10 machine and on my old xp one but it was easy to fix, just go to the view menu and find the submenu for zoom.
Set it to anything else, then set back to %125, which it should be on anyway.

You could also try hitting f11 to get the window to full screen, then hitting it again.

personally I have no problem with ie other than nvda's occasional slow down, and that improved considerably following the last Nvda update.

I've considered Firefox but I'm  putoff by the bookmarks system, since I have a favourites folder with perhaps 13 years worth of favourites in it, all of which  is organized by many subfolders. While I know I can import favourites from Ie into firefox the first time I run it, the bookmarks system just looks overly complicated to use for managing favourites, what with having to drag and drop and make profiles and what not with no easy ways to create subfolders or move stuff around as compared to ie where you can just use windows explorer.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-20 15:17:40

UIA stands for UI automation. It's basically the successor to MSAA, Microsoft Active Accessibility. If you don't know what that is, it's the part of the operating system that applications like Screen Readers can use to figure out what's on the screen, rather than asking the video card which is how it used to work in the 90's. That's an oversimplification, but the main point is any updates Microsoft makes to UIA will have a large effect on how fast and well your screen reader performs, especially NVDA, System Access and Narrator and to a lesser extent JAWS or any other commertial Screen Reader.

@Dark that's why I thought of the resolution thing, many new websites are now designed to adapt to smaller or larger screens, doing things like hiding their menus behind a button or moving things around. Many things can cause your screen resolution to be lowered, IE badly installed graphics card drivers or screen readers messing with video intercept support.

As far as Firefox goes, no browser just exposes its favourites folder like that anymore. That being said, you can manage your bookmarks in the dialog in a similar way as managing them in Windows Explorer. You can drag them on-top of folders, but you can also use Cut and Paste hotkeys (CTRL+X/CTRL+V) to move them in and out of folders (I just tried this to confirm if it works). That just leaves backup, and you can do that in a few ways. You can copy your FireFox profile, or just use FireFox sync which will upload them to a private account that you can sign into on multiple computers or even the iOS Firefox app.

Anyway, whatever works works I guess. Though there are probably going to be a lot of games coming out now using new Web API's that Internet Explorer just won't support (DarkDefender is one and I'm testing 2 more that will probably come out soon).

Personally, I would actually switch to Chrome, but I'll freely admit that its UI is very different from Internet explorer so that would make for a jarring experience. Thankfully all the hotkeys are more or less the same.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2017-07-20 16:38:40

ah I see.
I am interested in knowing how screen readers utilise MSAA and UI-A to get their information. Does Apple utilise any of these methods for Voiceover on Mac or iOS? What about Talkback? And how is it different from OCR if you're talking about video cards? Maybe we should have a topic on MSAA and UI-A for people who want to learn more about how they work.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-20 17:47:44

Dark wrote:

...just go to the view menu and find the submenu for zoom.
Set it to anything else, then set back to %125, which it should be on anyway.

125%? I always thought that the default zoom level was 100% or no zoom.

I agree with you about Firefox's bookmarks system. Mozilla could have made things so much easier by utilizing Windows' built in favorites functionality but chose not to for what ever reason. Regardless it's one of of the primary reasons why I continue to prefer IE over Firefox. It's simply so much easier to manage my favorites I've collected and carefully organized over the last twenty years with Windows Explorer than some clunky manager like the one in Firefox.

IE does have it's security issues, but then so does any other browser you happen to choose. Anyway, with a little common sense and a reasonable anti malware program like MSE, plus always running your browser in a sandbox, none of them are a problem.

2017-07-20 20:43:31

@Orco, I don't know why but I was always told to leave zoom on 125, though I suspect that was for screen resolution issues that no longer apply.

As to firefox yes, I don't see why it needs it's own complicated proprietory system when windows has a folder for storing urls that is easy to backup and manage anyway, hell, Firefox can open web pages directly from a|n url saved in favourites so I don't get why it won't let you  store stuff there yourself.

I might try firefox at some point if indeed Pitermach is  correct about cut and paste working and the fact that the bookmarks can be managed, though again I'd be far happier if the program just worked logically without all this stupid business of  private profiles and such.

Indeed generally speaking in most functions in windows I'm usually happier if I can manage things from windows explorer sort files myself, backup myself etc, one reason why I don't like the way the latest version of office handles opening documents with so many tabs and functions for one drive and other stuff I  need and it's about five key presses simply be able to browse for a file (again, far easier to do from windows explorer directly).

2017-07-20 21:11:34

@Dark

It's possible somebody told you that, because you are visually impaired, thinking it would help you. But from the time before I lost my sight, the standard has always been no zoom, or normal, or 100%, depending on which terminology floats your boat, they are all the same.

When I first started using the internet in 1996 or 7 I used Netscape, but between versions 4.5 and 5 it got really buggy so when I switched from the Windows 9x series to Windows NT with Windows 2000 Pro when it was released in 2000, I also switched from Netscape to Internet Explorer.

Between then and now I've played with other browsers like Firefox, Netscape, and Opera, , but always went back to Internet Explorer because of its integration into Windows and how easy it was to manage. Internet Explorer has its own favorites manager just like Firefox has its bookmarks manager, but you can also use any Windows file manager to manage your favorites including Windows Explorer or File Explorer under Windows 10. You just can't beat that kind of flexibility or simplicity.

2017-07-21 02:10:02

to set the zoom back to normal, press Control 0. You really do want to get onto a decent browser, explorer is terrible, no two ways about it, and you wil have problems loading sites, and with sites not displaying correctly in some situations.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united