2017-07-11 12:16:45

People i start to play erion mud and game is so great. i can move around map from area to area with command runto. but when i im in some city, how to come to any unknow shop for example im in miragon city and ido not know where is general shop, how to know where i can move to go there? does have any command like speedwalk to general shop, and my character move there or what?

2017-07-14 05:40:31

Erion is awesome.
The "where "command will tell you about a given npc, and "scan" and "oscan" will tell you about the rooms, objects and monsters around you, but I don't think there is a shops find command, still if you do some  the  at the university you will have quests to go all around the city and find the various shops etc, actually exploring in Erion is one of the more fun things.

A lot of info is available on the Erion db page plus I am tanquest on there if you want to say hello.

My only problem with the game, is that once you run out of missions to do things become a bit  and levelling becomes rather slow, I really wish they would reassess some of the levels and progress and put in some extra missions since otherwise you just wind up questing in the same areas again and again which can become a little dull.

It's a shame there is a lot to like in Erion, I particularly love how unique the combat is, the amount of items and changes in the game, all of the random stuff you can find etc, it's just a shame  isn't a bit more fluid.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-14 10:59:14

Oh yea, good old times when I played this game smile

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-07-14 21:18:40

Hmm erion is so great. Im taken class archer and  combat system is so cool smile

2017-07-15 04:55:52

Archers rock, I've got archer and thief. I just wish there were more missions and such in the game and that progress was a little faster since I just got rather sick of seeing the same areas again and again.
I probably ought to boot the game up and try some more since it is a wonderfully written game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-15 21:40:10

This is completely off topic, but it is still a MUD question, so I though I would just ask it here instead of making a whole new topic.

If you play a MUD and the client keeps on reading out your HP, money etc every time you enter a room, does that simply mean that the MUD is not screen reader friendly, or is there something you can do about that?

2017-07-16 04:28:01

@Tensoon, create as many new topics as you want, it's not as if we have a limited supply of them :d.

To answer your question though, no, the game reading out your hp etc is not because it is inaccessible.
Pretty much all muds have a prompt.
This is displayed after every bit of text the mud sends you.

Sometimes the prompt is just a greatherthan sign, but usually the prompt shows important statistics, by default in many games (such as Erion), it's  something like your characters hp mana and movement. In some games the prompt will display a word to tell you a condition, eg, when your character gets hungry or tired as well (clok does this I believe).

most muds give you options to customize the prompt or turn it off altogether, some also let you have different prompts inside and outside of battle which you can customize.

Generally speaking how you like your prompt is up to you. Myself, I like to at least know my hp in battles, preferably as a percentage since that makes it quicker to hear and don't mind getting some character stats outside of battle since it tells me when I am fully healed, how my mana is doing etc.

Typing "help prompt" in most games (and sometimes help bprompt, that is prompt with a b in front), in games that let you set a separate battle prompt), will tell you how  to set the prompt to your liking. Usually it's a matter of typing "prompt" and some letters,eg prompt=h" to show your current hp, "prompt=Hh" to show your max hp and current hp or "prompt=%h" to show your hp as a percentage (note the different capitalisations).

Hth.

Btw, I am putting together a newbies guide to muds which I intend to put in the articles room, this might be a good question to include in it.

2017-07-16 17:21:27

Thanks for the reply.  A newbie guide to MUD's will be very welcome.  I am playing alter aeon now and it is easy to follow, but I don't know if I would have done so well in something that did not have it s own client which specially caters for screen reader users.

2017-07-16 21:47:33

Alteraeon is great as far as being newbie friendly on mechanics and quests and such goes, however it's in some ways not as good an introduction because with all the sounds etc in MushZ it's far more like an audiogame than a mud.

Stilll most muds aren't hard to follow once you get into the swing of things, actually Erion might be a good place to go when your ready to look into a different game since it has comparatively few agro mobs and lets you get into things more slowly, or if you want a total change of pace Cosmic rage or frandom.

Glad your interested in a mud newbie guide I'll see what I can do about putting it together.

If you have any other general mud questions let me know assuming you don't mind being my guide guinea pig.

2017-07-19 11:48:23

I am very willing to be a guinea pig.  Just let me know how you prefer to be contacted.  There are several MUD's I want to try out.  I will start with cosmic rage soon, and I want to try End of Time.  I saw that folks complained in the past that it uses colours in rooms to manipulate the strength of elemental spells which makes it inaccessible.  They are working on fixing it though.  I created a character on it, but got stuck immediately.  I want to try something that has been tried and tested first, so that I can be sure what to expect from a MUD that is truly accessible before I go back to End of Time.  That is exactly what I would expect a newbie guide to do.  It would have to introduce a player to the basics of what a MUD is supposed to be so that they can jump into unknown territory and know if the game is playable or not shortly after starting.

I will assist you in writing the guide as well, but I do not want to crowd this topic with suggestions about something so off topic.  Just PM me how you can be reached and I will correspond accordingly.

2017-07-19 13:06:55

Hi Tensoon. I have started a topic about the guide here so feel free to  questions there.

I don't have any experience on end of time specifically, but if you want some good suggestions for muds to try check out the  since  do have a category for muds and we list those who have made access changes to make life easier.

I'd say myself if you want a mud for some combat experience try Erion or aardwolf.
if you want a friendly mud for exploring and puzzle solving try Frandom, if you want a space game Cosmic rage, and if you want to try crafting and more extensive  in a more complex setting try clok.

Of course this is not an exhaustive  list even of muds with db entries and I have more  to  and add, but should give you some points of where to start from.

hth.