2017-07-10 14:44:07 (edited by Dino 2017-07-10 14:46:12)

You're the last person left on the planet. There's a ship waiting for you... across a field full of ravenous zombies. Will you make it home?

Planetary Escape is the game I've been working all year and I'm happy to say that it's finally in beta and I can release it to you guys. It's been a pretty wild ride and I'm excited to share the result.

Download it here, from itch.io: https://alari.itch.io/planetary-escape

If you played it, it would be awesome if you also responded to my Google form, here: https://goo.gl/forms/zvAqofPd9IJaf1Xo2, which will help me improve it in future updates, or leave your suggestions here.

Thank you!

Prehistoric terror.
My github.

2017-07-10 16:00:51

I just tried it, and I can't really figure out when the zombies are in front of or behind me. Sometimes, I get eaten even though I don't hear a zombie close to me. I rarely ever make to a point where I can hear the beaken.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-07-10 16:14:22

I'm going to try the game but I can't tell if a zombie is either infront or behind me because there is no sonar sound.

2017-07-10 16:26:18

Personally for me, the game was way to easy. For your first game though, at least the first game I've ever seen from you, you did pretty good. Keep up the good work.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-07-10 16:32:24

Nick wrote:

I'm going to try the game but I can't tell if a zombie is either infront or behind me because there is no sonar sound.

Frankly these kind of posts are really starting to irritate me. I see this as nothing more than a trolling attempt. Criticism of this nature generally doesn't help developers.

shotgunshell wrote:

Personally for me, the game was way to easy.

Hmm, I wonder what I'm missing. I can never tell where the zombies are.

2017-07-10 16:56:16

Thank you for the feedback, guys. I did implement something to make the zombies sound like they were behind you when they were, but obviously this didn't work out quite as well as I'd hoped. I think it should get easier to tell where zombies are with practice, since I got fairly okay at it, but... It should probably be simpler than that.

Can someone explain to me what you mean by 'sonar sound'? It's probably something I can add but I have no idea what you mean.

I thought I had gotten rid of the 'randomly being eaten by a zombie' issue. So this is something I'm going to need to look into further.

If you found it too easy, what would you like to improve it? I'm thinking I could probably add extra maps, etc, with more obstacles and more zombies but otherwise I'm not sure what.

I will note that there is no turning capability in this game. So if you thought you were turning that might be a source of confusion... Imagine you're strafing everywhere.

And yes, this is pretty much my first real game, thanks for the compliment smile

Prehistoric terror.
My github.

2017-07-10 17:21:46

Hello folks! Dino, very good game. For those wondering where the zombies are, play the game using headphones and you'll be able to hear them approaching. No bips, no sonnars, just like an horror game should be.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2017-07-10 17:28:02

Dino, congratulations on releasing your first official audio game!  big_smile  I think we're all glad to have a new developer.

For the game, I believe it is playing the step sounds for the tile you are currently on, and then moving you.  For example, if I am on the edge of the ship and my next step will walk me outside, I hear solid footsteps instead of mud.  Hopefully I'm explaining myself properly, though I don't think I am, haha.

I would guess your code is looking for the correct sound to play based on the tile you are on, but it is happening before the code runs to move you.  If you reverse these, it may be a little easier for people to picture where they are in the environment.

I think I've got the map worked out now.  smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-07-10 17:39:20

I've been looking for something like this, downloading now.  Thank you so much

“The fear of loss is a path to the dark side. Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy.
The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” —

2017-07-10 17:49:56

That's a good point Aprone. My main problem is, I'm not sure how to tell if a zombie is in front of or behind me. Sometimes, zombies sound like they are sort of outside the conventional left/right stereo field, if I can put it that way, in which case I would assume it is behind. But in other cases, the zombies sound like they are more or less in a conventional left/right stereo perspective, which I would assume is in front. So far as I can tell though, the in/out perspective are reversed from where i would expect, i.e. I hear something that sounds like it's outside, so I walk forward and it seems like it's getting closer. Because the game is laggy, combined with what Aprone said about the actual movement mechanics, I think that all contributes to why the game feels so hard for me. I also don't think the zombies move at all, but given my vague understanding of the mechanics, I'm really not sure.
I remember a few years back, I played a concept demo of a game about cats. I can't remember what it was, but it was similar to this, at least in its environment. You rescued kittens from monsters. It used HRTF for 2d sounds, so you could clearly tell if something was in front of or behind you. It felt so much more intuitive to navigate and know what was going on. I always wished that game were more challenging. I can't remember what the game was called or what it uses for hrtf, but I think Planetary escape could really benefit from mechanics similar to that game. I'll try to find a thread for the cat game later.

Back to Planetary Escape: Maybe it's my obsession with arcade/endless games, but I wonder if Planetary Escape would get a lot more replay value from that kind of gameplay. You have levels, the first of which is easy to get you used to things, the second is a little harder, adding more zombies, adding obstacles, larger distance to reach the ship, etc. And it just keeps getting harder on every level until you eventually dye. You could get creative with items too but you wouldn't need to; it's a horror game after all and we want to keep it simple. That, combined with a more intuitive indication of your environment, would be a game I might pay for.

Just my two cents.

2017-07-10 18:28:37

Thanks for the in depth responses. @Aprone, nice catch with the stepping part - I didn't notice that while testing at all. And @raygrote, you are very right. I had no prior AI programming experience, so... The zombies stay in one place until you're with a certain distance of them before they start to chase you.

The reason some of you might notice some weirdness with the HRTF is that it's not HRTF. It's a weird homebrew implementation of 3D audio I made because I couldn't get any other python implementations working. I can explain in further detail if anyone wants me to, but the short version is that it uses the inverse square law to work out how much volume drop to use and inverting the phase of the audio in one ear when the source of the sound is behind the player - it's essentially the audio version of an optical illusion since it tricks the brain into thinking that the sound it's hearing is behind it.

What I'm thinking based on you guy's responses is that I'm going to patch as many small issues affecting gameplay as possible for the next patch and then write a sequel with more features. Because of the way the 3D sound is implemented it isn't possible to reduce lag by very much if at all, so I think I'm going to need to rewrite the game in a different programming language with better 3D audio libraries.

And, yeah, headphones aren't optional. Make sure you wear them!

Prehistoric terror.
My github.

2017-07-10 18:39:34

Have you thought about using libaudioverse?

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2017-07-10 18:40:00

I actually do think inverting sounds for behind is a good idea and is a decent homebrew 3d audio approach, but I'm not sure how well it's working in practice, at least for me. But, maybe i"m doing something wrong too. Lol

2017-07-10 19:09:52

@stewie: I did in fact consider using libaudioverse... the problem was that I couldn't get it working when I wanted to try it out. Since I was also programming this for a college project (and thus had a deadline...) and decided that I'd rather be using a library I developed myself so that I had control over whether it worked or not. I think in the future I would be up for using it especially since it's been developed more since then, though.

Prehistoric terror.
My github.

2017-07-10 19:20:28

Hi.
For these games is beter in 2d to not have problems with zombies.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-07-10 20:45:53

I do not want to download the game just yet.
I would rather wait til the next version comes out with sonar sound meaning When a zombie is infront it will increase in pitch but if a zombie is behind me the pitch of the sonar would be lowered.
also, the readme does not include instructions on how to play, nor the keyboard commands.
on top of that, I would not download the game right now and just wait till the next version comes out without the lagging.
I do not want to play the game and have my CPU lagging while playing.

2017-07-10 21:10:54

Nick, the game contains instructions on the keyboard controls as well as instructions for playing the game. However, I didn't think of adding them to the readme as well. I'll make sure to do that.

It's definitely fair that you don't want to to play it though given that it's not exactly the most polished audiogame out there, haha. I look forward to impressing you with the next iteration smile

Also, thanks for the explanation on sonar sound. I think that I would make it a togglable setting (that could be turned off and on) so that if it makes it easier to play, you could turn it on, and otherwise you could turn it off.

Prehistoric terror.
My github.

2017-07-10 22:09:32 (edited by Haramir 2017-07-10 22:10:25)

Hello folks. Personally, I like the idea of audio cues being optional, I think there's nothing wrong having them on a more casual game, but a horror game is the kind that may want to put you on the character's skin, so the more unnecessary noise we have, the less imersive the experience tend to be.
Best regards, Haramir.

2017-07-11 01:41:36

Why zombies though? A game like this screams aliens!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-07-11 03:58:58

Hello folks! Indeed, aliens would be more interesting, but there's also the classic concept of the alien virus that turn humans into zombies or something like that. Also, it is alot easier to find zombie sounds tongue
Best regards, Haramir.

2017-07-11 04:58:22

Hello Dino and congrats on your game!

As for your first project it's cool even if it's really, really short. Here are my thoughts:

First of all, I tried moving around like usual by holding the arrow keys but I realise you need to tap them instead of holding. When I realised that I tried to tap them as fast as possible and it worked even if it was unrealistic and zombies eaten me even if I couldn't hear any really close to me.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2017-07-11 05:46:03

wow. this has the potential to be scary. have you checked some mainstream older games like Super Metroid, or the more modern suvival ones like outlast? Some levels would be perfect for that here, it gives the game more dynamics in playing. I would really like to find an audio game that makes me shake uncontrollably from terror and those that I just mentioned do that fine because from the game play to the stress and anxiety and the music and the environment and everything in between they are really nicely crafted. So far the so called horror ones, even comercial audio games of the genre are quite disconcerting and leave a lot to be desired.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2017-07-11 15:00:27

hi, i'd like to try the game, but when i click on download link it doesn't do anything, why?

2017-07-12 23:32:22 (edited by Dino 2017-07-12 23:33:35)

Thanks guys for the feedback and advice.

It wasn't aliens because zombies are more recognizable... also I recorded the zombie noises myself, I must be pretty convincing smile maybe next time I can work out what an alien would sound like though.

Mahmood, the only thing I can think of is that it might not work if you have Javascript disabled. Could you check if it is in your browser settings?

Prehistoric terror.
My github.

2017-07-13 01:20:54

well I've downloaded the game and I keep getting eaten by zombies even though I'm trying to reach the ship.
no matter what I do every now and then the zombie sounds are far away and so I gave up on the game because it is two difficult to avoid the zombies at once.
also, there is not a difficulty option so that I can decide if I would rather play the game on hard or easy.
also I would like to be able to kill the zombies rather than avoiding them.
that way I should be able to reach the ship.