2017-07-10 00:15:37

Hi,

I just created a windows XP virtual machine with VMware, but it will not recognize my USB thumb drive. I've put a bunch of files on the thumb drive that I want to transfer to the virtual machine, but it won't recognize it. I've tried starting the virtual machine with the device plugged in, and I've tried plugging it in after it starts, no luck on either. Does anyone know how I can get it to recognize it?
Another thing is, I created a XP machine cause I wanted to play private detective school. My original system is windows 10 64 bit. I have the original private dectective school disc, I bought it a couple years ago. It will not work though, is there anyway to make it work? I really don't want to buy a laptop with XP on it just to play private detective school, but it's looking like that's the only way to play it. Ugh.
Thanks so much for any responses

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2017-07-10 07:13:47

You can add the files to the .vHD virtual drive. Turn off the XP guest then close Hyper-V then mount the .VHD drive. Now in this PC open the drive and copy any files you want to the drive. Then go to Disk manager and disconnect the vhd drive and then restart your vm. If you get a message to revert to a checkpoint say no. the files you copied will be there just like copying from the usb drive. You need to install the DVD drive under settings for the XP guest.