2017-06-29 18:53:05

Hi guys,
As I promised, I've made a short Podcast about DotWalker PRO. It is not a tutorial how to use dis APP, it's just very quick Demo what you can expect from it. There are plenty of features that I even didn't mention at all, however I hope at least for someone it will be useful. I think if at least one person will be more confident when travelling, APP developers will be more happyer and my Podcast won't be made just for nothing.
Link is below and it should start to play / download .mp3 file automatically:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hihbh5k78zoi … n.mp3?dl=1

2017-06-29 19:40:52

Sounds good. I'm currently using the Trekker Breeze from Humanware, but it's been discontinued, and although Humanware say they're continuing to support it, I don't think they will as it's already difficult to buy the accessories, they just keep saying try in a week or so. So when my battery dies, it'll be useless as I think the battery is unique to the device. So I'll be looking at getting an app like this.
Does the walker pro have a free roaming mode where you can just walk along a route and it will automatically tell you what street you're on? For instance even if you haven't chosen any particular route, the trekker breeze announces intersections and stuff as you approach them. Like it will say four way intersection with Johnson Street crossing Smith Street, then as you turn on to Smith Street it announces you are on Smith Street.
I find it useful to have streets announced automatically. I need to have both hands free because I use a cane and a little sensor device called a miniguide which is brilliant for helping to avoid obstacles without having to actually hit everything with the cane.

2017-06-29 22:53:00

Hi,
You can use some headphones like Aftershockz that implements bone conduction technology to pool sound through your cheackbones to your inner ears, it leaves you with hands free and holds on your head very tightly. Where to buy and more about the technology: http://aftershokz.com/
This app has its own various settings that can be adapted to your unique needs, so you can check a checkbox and it will anounce the nearest adresses all the time. If I'm not mistaken, these adresses are taken from OSM (Open Street Maps), but when you're using Turn-by-Turn directions, it gives you data from Google Maps, I can say - just makes the point-by-point route to your final destination from your current location. I also checked the checkbox that should anounce the intersections either, but it doesn't seem to be working at least for me. It works if you will download OSM points around you, intersections will be anounced then I suppose, but I'm not sure yet.
You can also create your own custom routes and App will track your turns and they will be aded to your route. After that you will know the exact turns to make and the adresses that are nearby.
If you need more podcast about this app, please let me know and I'll try to record something more about the settings, routes and so on and so forth, but I just need more people to be active in this.
Reguards

2017-06-30 02:39:32

That's a shame to hear about the Trekker Breeze being discontinued, but at seven or eight hundred dollars I probably shouldn't be surprised. Especially when there are some very good and very reasonably priced GPS apps for the blind available for both mobile platforms.

2017-06-30 09:41:08

Hi.
Oh my, well, I had the trekker breze for about a month or so for a test run and to be honest, it was a major fail in my opinion.
A bad GPS receiver, streets not beeing named, the device not beeing able to detect my signal when I am in a house, car, even standing under an umbrella made GPS not working, a device not worth buying in my opinion.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-06-30 10:36:41 (edited by flackers 2017-06-30 10:52:16)

The trekker breeze is a flawed device for sure, and given its price it's no surprise it's been a flop, but I've been using it for 3 years, and still do every day. If you get to know its quirks, it's not that bad. The umbrella thing  was probably due to heavy cloud cover. I have it in my coat pocket or under my shirt all the time and it works the same as it does out in the open, so an umbrella shouldn't interfere with it, but thick clouds can cause problems occasionally. It has trouble finding a satellite when you're indoors, especially when turning it on for the first time after it's been off for many hours. It gets much better if it's been switched on and found a satellite in the last few hours. And it occasionally loses the plot while in a vehicle. You certainly couldn't rely on it to guide you 100% of the time.
I'd say it's worst flaw, is that if it loses the satellite while moving at speed in a car or even on a bicycle, it has a real problem reconnecting while you're on the move,. You really need to be still for it to get it's act together. On rare occasions, it can even go completely dead, and won't work at all unless you either leave it switched off for a short while, or remove the battery for a few seconds. These are the things I find least acceptable.
If you were travelling around by bus a lot, and constantly going places where you needed a GPS to tell you where you were, I wouldn't recommend it at all, but for just walking around your neighbourhood, visiting family and local shops, it gives you that bit of info about intersections and stuff, and I find this makes life a little easier. I also like using it in the car and on the tandem bike to tell me where I am, but this is the environment where it's least reliable, and I wouldn't like to have to depend on it, but it still works more often than not.

2017-06-30 12:05:24

Hi.
Yeah ok, for walking around in known errias it might be good, but, when I come up to a crossing and i hear things like that, crossing of 3 streets, unknown street meets with unknown street and unknown street, urm yeah, nice info.
Nothing beats my iPhone currently, I am open for new solutions, but currently, no, I stick to iOs. For those who want to get dot walker, it seams that it is just available in the Us, I couldn't find it in the german appstore at leased.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-06-30 14:23:31 (edited by flackers 2017-06-30 14:35:49)

That sounds pretty bad. It mustn't have had a very good map installed for your region. The maps are good for Britain. When I first got it the only street it said street with no name for was a side street with no houses on it. Updating to the latest map fixed that. I've travelled for tens of miles around my area, and even plotted a route from one end of England to the other and the maps were very good. It only says street with no name when I'm on a footpath, alleyway, or streets that have no need of a post code. Having entire intersections unknown sounds like the map was very poor for your region for whatever reason.

2017-06-30 16:17:24

Agreed, although I did talk negatively about it's price, I did buy a Trekker Breeze Plus and can say that the only time I ever had a problem with it was when I first got it and took it on a walk I already knew and didn't need a GPS for. On the way home it thought I was turned around and going back to the far end of my trip and kept telling me to turn around because I was off course. I eventually turned it off and finished walking home without it.

I don't know what caused the problem and just chalk it up to lack of experience with it, because the problem was never repeated.

Your location may have a lot to do with it's performance, I live in the United States and even before I lost my vision I noticed that maps in GPS systems, for most of the rest of the world were sorely lacking in detail.

2017-06-30 16:35:37

Hi.
Yeah, I thought the same that the maps are quite poor here in Germany, because some unnamed streets were big highways xD.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-06-30 21:47:26

I just got an email from Humanware saying that they'll be at both the NFB and AFB conventions and that besides having special sales for convention goers, that they'd also be showing off some new product. I wonder if it's going to be a new GPS since the Trekker Breeze is being discontinued.

2017-06-30 22:30:39

This APP should be available in Germany, there is a link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … twalkerpro
And of course, the manual that shows what you can expect from this:
http://www.dotwalker.wz.cz/dotwalker_en.html

2017-07-01 00:31:56

What impressed me about the walker app was the detail about bus stops and stairs and stuff. The trekker doesn't have anything like that level of detail. I was wondering how it knows about elevators and stairs. Does it have access to layouts of building interiors too? I was also curious about what you were using as a mobility aid during the podcast. It didn't sound like you were using a cane or a dog. Do you use any aids of that sort?