2017-06-26 10:38:28 (edited by Caccio72 2017-06-26 11:20:36)

Hello fellow vip gamers!

This one now is a "tough cookie", as they would say in english, since this time I am searching for a boxing manager game, (so not a boxing, but a boxing manager), and I know that specific genre is definitely not one of the popular ones, so finding an accessable one, meaning playable by blind gamers, is a pretty hard task, mostly due the mentioned lack of general interest. (although making one would probably not be a too demanding project)
Knowing this, I have no special expectations regarding the targeted game, it can be both free or pay-to play, online or offline, an audio game, browser based one, or even an MUD. (this last one is highly unlikely, since I recently searched the database of all currently known, registered MUDs, and haven't found even a single sports-topic game among them)

Normally I tried, actually spent a whole day googling for a possible candidate, the 1st few results usually referred to a "World boxing manager" named game on Steam, which, despite of the matching search-keywords, I (unfortunately) highly doubt can be accessable, its description, and developer's comments make that quite obvious.
I also found an online, browser based boxing manager, but after trying it out, I soon realized it's not accessable either, meaning it was far from being screen-reader friendly, actually it's not playable with it at all.

So this time I am asking for Your assistence here, of those of You, who may know, have heard of, or read about an accessable, or at least screen-reader friendly boxing manager game...plus maybe of those too, who are more adept and skilled at googling, searching, and eventually finding one for me!

NOTE:
I have one only appeal to those who decide to help in my search: Please don't suggest me links to certain accessable sport-theme sites, where I "eventually may find" a reference, or a link to a boxing manager game, since I checked many of such sites by now, and indeed found some manager games, like soccer, football, (rugby, superbowl), baseball, and even an amusement park manager, but none for boxing at all so far!
Meaning, if you happen to find a boxing manager game I can play, (not boxing, but boxing manager game), please post here the direct link to it, thank You!

Best regards,
Caccio
from Hungary

2017-06-26 14:38:32

There's Box2Glory online game which is pretty nice.
Then there's WEBL, also MMA Tycoon, though that's... more than boxing.

Hth.

2017-06-26 15:15:59

Well, I hope We'll get a true boxing game one day as I am a huge fan of box so yeah, still remember how much I played Fightnight series.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2017-06-27 08:18:15 (edited by Caccio72 2017-06-27 08:32:21)

Wowww, many thanks Orin, all those 3 games look like just the ones I was searching for!
I really hope they are screen-reader friendly enough though...going to find it out right now!

2017-06-28 06:28:00 (edited by Caccio72 2017-06-28 08:09:14)

Well here is how far I got by now:
I started with MMA Tycoon, successfully created 2 fighters, and both of them have scheduled opponents for their 1st fight already, which will take place in less than 2 days.
My 1st problem appeared, when I was supposed to set their match tactics, which is the most important strategic aspect of the game I presume.
Namely, the very most of the match tactics settings, (over 60), must be adjusted by dragging a slider bar, and I just can't make my NVDA screen-reader to grab, or get hold of the slider, since it is unable to even activate it, neither with enter, nor with space keys.
If anyone has a hint regarding this issue, I would warmly welcome it!

After this I just played a quick simulation match in Box2Glory, then a quick sparring practice in WEBL, without even registering yet, (in both games that is possible), merely in order to experience the match commentary, (which is of crucial importance to me), and I am more than satisfied with it in both cases, so now I shall start playing those 2 boxing games too, hoping I won't encounter problems similar to that one in MMA again.

2017-06-28 14:34:08

Yeah, the slider thing in MMA Tycoon is what sucks. The developer seems apprehensive to make it accessible.

2017-06-29 12:10:26 (edited by Caccio72 2017-06-29 13:22:48)

Well, I finally made my choice, and it is definitely WEBL!

I already mentioned the slider-bar issue, which prevents me from playing MMA Tycoon the proper way, and Box2Glory also contains a few quite "screen-reader-hostile" elements, plus it's somehow too complex, too "professional" for me, it may suit to those more competent in real boxing-world, but for me, who primary plays boxing managers for fun, as a mere enthusiastic laic, the more simple, "easy to learn, but hard to master" type of gameplay in WEBL, which still features everything I expect from its genre, with a very user, and screen-reader friendly interface, proved to be exactly the type of boxing manager game I was seeking for.

So MANY MANY THANKS for your suggestions again Orin, with your help I just found a game, which I will play regularily, probably for a long long time,!
I owe you one!

In addition:
Actually the UI in WEBL is so accessable and screen-reader friendly, that I suggest our admin Dark to check it out himself too, and if he agrees with my oppinion, to addd the game to the list on this site.
I most sincerely recommend it to all of thos of You fellow blind, or VIP gamers, who are interested in boxing-topic games, so maybe my new, fame and glory hungry boxers, will have more opponents to fight in the future. lol!

2017-07-02 18:25:48

Hello all, i must admit, webl is super fun! I'm waiting for my first cheduled fight, and killing the spar opponents opponent by opponent. smile Hope to fight you one day, caccio! big_smile

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2017-07-02 19:10:26

I am very glad I already "recruited" a new player for this super game, and Arnold, you can rest assured, we will definitely fight quite soon, since I created 28 boxers for my gym already, and tried to distribute them into as many weight divisions as possible, so it's very likely you will face some of them soon.
Since I am from Hungary, I choose Eurasia for my home region, and created 20 of my boxers there, but even if your gym is located in a different region, I assigned the rest 8 of my boxers to the so called "Unsanctioned" region, where scheduled matches are not region-restricted, so you better get ready to face my lads, yarrr!

Oh yeah, since it's not the managers themselves, but their boxing gyms which are competing in the game, my name is not Caccio there, but Crumpley, so the moment you get drawn an opponent from the Crumpley gym, you will know it's me, LOL!

2017-07-02 19:27:36

Hi.
Rest asured, I will one day join the world of this game, hope we can meet in the ring one day and have a high flying blood flying fight.
Greetings moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-07-02 19:44:07

You guys should create a private region for audio games members, that way we're just fighting ourselves, not the whole of the player database. Highly unlikely that you'd come across one another in such a saturated pool.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2017-07-03 01:01:43 (edited by Caccio72 2017-07-03 01:30:38)

Actually Zoran, it is quite likely we will still encounter each other soon, since:
1. We are experiencing the downfall-period of online browser games, so I )unfortunately) highly doubt a boxing manager topic one like WEBL, has still a too large regular playerbase left, despite the impressive sounding "players online" statistics, we all know how confusing those are made sometimes, merely in order to prove potential new players, how "very popular" the game still is.
and 2: In that game, since friendly PvP sparrings are not featured anymore, we are encouraged to make as many boxers for our gym as possible, the allowed maximum number is really huge, (if I counted right, it must be over 500), and since there are no game-currency dependent limitations, (all actions, features, and alternatives are totally free), the most of us "serious" players do make literarily dozens of boxers, (as I mentioned, I already created 28 in only 2 days time), so with such huge number of boxers, it is highly unlikely we won't get drawn against each-other, at least occasionally.

Edit:
Oh, and 3: As I mentioned in my previous post, even if our gyms are located in different geographic regions, we are still allowed to create boxers for a few featured common regions, where there are significantly less number of assigned boxers, which makes the possibility of our encounters even more likely.

2017-07-03 02:32:43 (edited by Orin 2017-07-03 03:24:03)

I might rejoin WEBL. Only downside is the commentary, in my opinion MMA Tycoon is better in that regard, but that's MMA, not strictly boxing. Plus the accessibility stuff.
also, WEBL is huge, I think the statistics are correct. It was huge when I played, it's huge now.

Edit: Signed up again. Seems I created a one-round winner. As in, with Big Mike he keeps winning the first and loses every round afterwards.

2017-07-03 11:13:39 (edited by Caccio72 2017-07-04 08:48:57)

LOL, don't wirry mate, we both know how versatile the game is, for example I was sent some boxers by another player to practice on them, selected his counterpouncher cruiser, than picked one of my boxers from that same weight division, started to applying, and trying out different strategies, but I kept losing, then I just got pissed off, and applied the initial flash KO gameplan, and knocked that annoying counterpuncher guy out in the very 1st round!

As for the commentaries, for me, who still remembers, how they looked like in the early boxing manager games, (meaning both in online and offline ones), I do consider both the level, and the quality of the WEBL commentary for more than satisfying.

2017-07-03 16:17:06

Can I get a link to WEBL? I would google it, but I gotta run.

2017-07-03 16:42:35

hi caccio,

I am a massive fan of sports management sims.  but for some reason I just can't navigate browser games or find them to clunky and awkward to fully enjoy.

for example I am a massive football manager fan and still have not found an accessible 1 in the 10 years I have been blind.  I was excited when I saw hat trick in the database, but honestly I found it awful in so many aspects.

please can you suggest any games that are accessible on the pc or ios? I don't mind if its football, rugby, formula one racind or even horse racing sims.

I think stablemasters is accessible but I can't get a copy of it anywhere.   I wish developers would make these style of games because they are 95% text based.  I will try this boxing game but as its a browser game to be honest my hopes are not high.

2017-07-03 18:51:33

Hi.
Wasn|t there a game called pitch side manager around back in the day? I think I played it last in 2013 or 2014 and it was quite accessible.
I also took part in a horse racing sim where I was pritty good at, but they screwed up accessibility and I honestly don't know if it's even around anymore. Never heard of stable master, that an online one?
Greetings Moritz.

2017-07-04 09:53:21 (edited by Caccio72 2017-07-04 11:02:25)

Hi there Shrike!

I totally understand your problem regarding online browser games, since I encountered, and am still struggling with the same troubles you mentioned.
Plus I was also a big fan of football, and yes, horse racing managers as well, actually, along with boxing managers, those were my number1 favorite game-genres. (Football Manager I played regularily starting from 2007, played Champrionship Manager before it, then Stable Masters, Starters Orders sequels, then an offline game called  "boxing manager", since back in those times online ones still sucked heavily, etc, and played for example Football Manager till the very day I totally lost my vision, (in march 2016), since it had such a good and strong contrast,  that I could still play it even with severely weakened eyesight))

Unfortunately I must agree, those simplified browser-version football managers can't even come near to the "real thing", meaning to the level which the Football Manager 20xx video game presented, so I got disappointed in them quite soon, and stopped struggling with them the moment I realized this sad fact.

BTW not only managers, but the very most of browser-based games in general, are indeed often difficult, or if not, than very time-consuming to play right with a screen-reader, it's possible, but often very annoying and (mentally) tiring, so that they take away a hell of our blind gamer's time, (and nerves too, yarrr), which was the second reason I given them up so fast, in order to preserve my remaining, but gradually decreasing patience.

Then I started concentrating on MUDs, which are much more accessable, easier, and faster to play with screen-readers, but there are no managers among them at all..

Also unfortunately, I must say I managed to find very few, indeed screen-reader friendly browser MMOs so far, and those include no football, horse racing, or any other type of sport managers, except the one we are talking about here, WEBL, which I really consider to be, let's say, quite simple and easy to play with a screen-reader.
(but pretty hard to master, especially meaning the fight plans which we must 1st select, then construct or edit, and then set for each one of our boxers, before their  each incoming fight)
That pretty screen-reader friendly user interface, which differes a bit from those I experienced in browser-based MMOs, (at least so far), is what distinguishes WEBL from other browser-based manager games, and is one of the main reasons, why I welcomed WEBL so happily at the 1st place!

So, unfortunately for the 3rd time, I can't come up with any other suggestions regarding browser-based managers for you, I can only suggest you to ask our admin called Dark here, on this forum-site, he possesses both much larger, and more up-to-date knowledge of accessable games than I do, in fact he is the one, who recommended me the most of the games I currently play regularily.

2017-07-04 11:00:16

Hi.
What I am really missing are for examples accessible manager games for american football, baseball, hockey for example.
I don't really care about socker because well, i am just not interested.
What is that stable masters game actualy? It seams that quite a lot of you played that one.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-07-04 11:26:54

LOL, my primary problem was, that I found only such, baseball and american football managers, instead of the targeted and desired boxing manager,, and those are sports the rules of which I have no idea about, nor feel any desire to learn them, those 2 types of sports are totally out of my interest-range.

However, this is a matter I can give you a suggestion about:
There is, actually was a developer of accessable games called Jim Kitchen, (R.I.P.), and there is both a baseball, and an american football manager game on his website, which is still active and functioning, his games are all totally free, and you can find the link to his site here in audiogames.net, just check for the game list, find, and access it!
There you will have a download link to each of Mr Kitchen's games, or you can choose to download a pack containing all of them.

Errr...in case you are searching for online, browser-based versions of those manager-games, sorry, can't help you, as I said, I totally lack the interest in them.

2017-07-04 14:04:44

thanks caccio,

I try to avoid online browser games for the very exact reasons you mentioned above.   however if you own an I phone there are 3 games out there that are very accessible.

football chairman pro.
this is the closest game I have found to a football manager game, you cannot pick the starting 11 on match day but you control everything else including stadium building hireing managers, buying players etc.    also it has a neat editor where you can create your own league and create the real players like lionel messi.

2. hockey agent.
this game is great fun, you have to recruit your on group of young stars in the making and find them eventually NHL teams while fleecing them for as much cash along the way, buying luxury cars, mansions and even own your own cruise ship.

3.basketball agent.
the same as the hockey game only obviously its the NBA.

and for the guy who wanted to know about stablemasters,  it was a game made in 2001 and it was on a cd rom, also I played it on windows xp, not sure if it would even work on windows 10 to be honest.

anyway caccio, it seems like you and I have very much the same taste in games so please keep ne informed if you find any accessible management sims for either the windows platform or ios, I really can't be bothered with the frustrating slowness of browser based games.

2017-07-04 16:00:45

Hi.
Yeah, I also wanted to get into manager games for quite some time but some keep me away with clunky interfaces and strange numbers representing values, the problem was that it was never explained what those numbers mean.
Sadly out of the park is not accessible, we would have solved the baseball manager problem.
For realtime boxing I always enjoyed fight night round 3 on ps2, with the ps2 emulator for windows you can still enjoy this game.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-07-04 16:30:40

My problem is that all these management games are text. It's boring watching a boxing match in text. If you  guys can draft someone who has the familiarity with a sport as well as the desire to program the game, I'm sure folks like myself would be willing to assist with audio.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2017-07-04 16:52:14

on this WEBL game I have already encountered a problem.  when I try to create a boxer it just puts me back to the log in section even though I have already logged in.

honestly I think my main issue with browser games is a lack of training with a screen reader, since I became blind at the age of 30 I just downloaded a screen reader and picked up stuff as I went along, thus having no real understanding of its true capabilities.

the only thing that puzzles me, is the fact there are tons of awesome audio game developers and none seem to be interested in the sports simulation genre. I have now been waiting for 14 years for an accessible management sim, I also have sent emails to Eidos, Sports Interactive and EA Sports pleading with them to make there manager games accessible, and everytime I get roughly the same response, thank you for your email Mr Shrike, we are always looking to improve our games and in making them as accessible as possible in up and coming future releases.

2017-07-04 17:15:30

Hi.
At Shrike yeah I was thinking the same, a lot of effort is put into puzzle and action games, but genres like sports are not very promising.
I mean with NHL 2004 we have an accessible hockey game for the PC, but this takes an intense learning curve, till this time I havent gotten my head around the whole game and how to play it because there are a lot of things you need to watch out for and take care of.
Greetings Moritz.