2017-06-22 14:42:25 (edited by nerdygentleman 2017-06-22 16:05:56)

Howdy -

I've been rewriting my non-console (and completely inaccessible) roguelike Atlas Warriors, and attempting to make multiple interfaces while I'm at it.

I'm making an OpenGL graphical (but simulated text with weird and cool effects) and was going to make a Console one that was optimised for screen readers - so, by default, only showing the current room (for instance) and being more of a command line style application.

Is it worth implementing the screen reader libraries in the console version? Or, should I just let people point their screenreader at the console and let it go? Alternatively, should I just make sure the GL version is screenreadable... but I think that may be a little bit tough.

Sorry - I'm new at actually considering this.

L

2017-06-22 19:15:44

Hmm, from what I know, you shouldn't need to add any extra screen reader support for a console application. The standard console window can be focused by the screen reader. Now, you are right that adding screen reader support to a graphical interface like the one that you had described would be a bit more involved. If I remember, a library called Tolk is supposed to assist with this process, but I've never played with that library.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2017-06-22 21:53:36 (edited by Ian Reed 2017-06-22 22:07:42)

Agreed, if you make it in the console then screen readers can already access it.
That said, if you are willing to put more thought and effort into it, then you can provide a better experience by creating a custom interface.
For instance you can allow players to move around your grid of tiles using the arrow keys, which is a little nicer than the console since a screen reader is designed for reading text in the console, not navigating a grid of tiles.
Tolk is a good library to use for outputting to screen readers, and it is not hard to setup.
If you have any troubles with it feel free to contact me and we can setup a quick skype call.

For an example of a game that represents terrain and units on a grid to players you can try Tactical Battle written by me.
Or check out Castaways written by Aprone.
Both are free and have some limited graphics so you can easily compare what you are seeing visually with what is being output to the screen reader / TTS.

Edit: A game called Time of Conflict by GMA games also uses grids, but goes beyond the previous 2 examples by having lists of nearby units and some other nifty tricks to help players get a sense of what is around the focused tile.
It is a paid game, but I think it still has a demo.
I've never played it myself, had some screen reader issue when I tried the demo years ago, but I've heard from players of Tactical Battle that he put some real thought into helping players get a better sense of their surroundings.
Researching what existing audio games already do for interfaces can save you a lot of time by not needing to reinvent the wheel.

Hope this helps.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.