2017-06-15 22:28:28

Awhile back, my grandfather bought me JAWS, OpenBook, and a pacmate from FS. Now days, I would like to get those things into my name now days. What is the best way of doing that? Asking my grandfather to do that is out of the question do to what happened over the last month or two. What all would FS need and how much would it costs me to make the transfer? I am reasonably sure that if I do not do this, no more upgrades will not be bought for JAWS or Openbook. Matter of fact, I know that my grandfather will not be buying any more upgrades for said products seeing where he is now at. On the other hand, if it is in my name, the upgrades  would be optional assuming that I have the cash and the desire to do so. If I cannot get said upgrades when I may need or wish, I would be pushed over to NVDA or something else like that on my next computer seeing that I refuse to rebuy said products. Of course NVDA is not all bad. Do not get me wrong there. I may not even buy the upgrades from v15 to v18 due to price and other reasons, but I would at least have the option if I ever get the cash to do so if I wish and had it in my name. Hope I am making sense.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-06-15 23:17:14

Unfortunately software licenses are notoriously not transferable, but, you could always call or email VFO and ask them. Considering that the products were originally purchased for you they may not have a problem with it.

2017-06-16 02:42:08 (edited by cw 2017-06-16 02:44:04)

I guess I will need to call them. It is a shame that software licenses are that way generally speaking. Matter of fact, that is why I also hate DRM  and other stuff like that. I sort of get it from a business point of view, but still. Anyway, I guess I can call them up and give them the sob story and hope that they are moved. If they are not, it’s a pretty safe bet that they lost me for good seeing that I really cannot go in for a whole new copy for a while at the very least. I do not see vocational rehabilitation covering the price when my grandfather had already bought me a copy. Talking about being laughed at in my face. I have called up FS before to asked them questions about other things, so I guess that it is sort of on record that it was bought for my use even though they may not have it in writing. Add to that, FS is not part of VFO and I do not know exzackly how that changes things.
edit
FS's email address is [email protected] right? I do not remember their latest address and their support page does not seem to have my question in mind.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-06-16 02:56:07 (edited by Orko 2017-06-16 05:10:10)

I know what you mean about software licenses. I have a perfectly good copy of Zoom Text in its original box that I can no longer use because I now have to use a screen reader (JAWS), and it would be nice to pass Zoom Text on to some one else who could benefit from it. Seems a shame to let it go to waste.

While the old Freedom Scientific email addresses still work, they have all changed to vfogroup.com addresses now. Freedom Scientific is now a brand rather than a company.

[email protected]
[email protected]
or if you prefer
[email protected]
[email protected]

Good luck with it.

2017-06-18 20:41:38

you know what I did? I got angry at vfo, i called them on the phone and I said, ok then, mister customer service guy, I am going to download a cracked pirated copy of jaws and use that. then hung up shortly after, bet they weren't too happy. i just got a new computer, and i just use nvda and narrator, no jaws on here, yet.

2017-06-18 21:17:36

Well, I hope that made you feel better. But whether you realize it or not, if they wanted to, they could find out exactly who you are in a matter of hours or less. Not very bright if you ask me.

2017-06-18 23:19:34

Five, I understand why you would do that, not that it did you any good other than making you feel good. Anyway, I fired off an email Friday and have not got a reply yet. I am trying to not rock the boat as it were seeing that I really do not want to lose the license I already have of jaws. If the fact that my grandfather passing on causes them to want to take the license away, I do not want to give them the serial number to latch on too. So I really want to know if I can move it into my name before I give them the info that they need to make the switch. This, of course, meant that I did not supply some info in the email like the serial number. I did include my name though. I am, in short, trying to take this one step at a time. I figure that a yes or a no on the ability to move it should be good enough for me to pass on what I need to pass on to for them to make it happen.

DropBox Referral

2017-06-19 00:56:38

@cw

Freedom Scientific rarely replies on the same day, and here in the United States, most businesses like Freedom Scientific are closed on week ends. So you'll more than likely get an answer on Monday or Tuesday.

And for what its worth, I seriously doubt that they'd take away your license your grandfather bought for you just because he passed away.

2017-06-19 20:38:07

They asked for the serial numbers this morning to verify their records. Other than that, I haven't really heard anything from them. Anyway I came across this line in the agreement that comes with JAWS. If I am reading this right, I may be screwed in away if they think that my grandfather was the user per say and or it depends on how they take this line.

The Licensee may not sublicense, assign, or transfer this license to another party. Any attempt to sublicense, assign or transfer any of the rights, duties or obligations under this agreement shall be null and void and without any legal effect.

DropBox Referral

2017-06-19 23:53:26

My copy of JAWS was bought for me initially. I wanted to get information about how much it would cost to upgrade it. This was back before they had that nice little page where you can enter your serial number. I e-mailed sails and ask them about it, telling them that it was bought for me and who bought it. They contacted that person and got the license transferred to me.

2017-06-20 00:32:31

I just use NVDA and narrator. rather than spending time with jaws, why not just Use NVDA?

2017-06-20 00:42:03

As hard as this might be for you to believe, there are some people that actually do like JAWS and prefer it to NVDA.

I know, because I'm one of them.

2017-06-20 12:38:04

I am currently used to JAWS. I just haven't took the time to learn NVDA. I am on windows seven, so narrator really is not worth much. As for FS contacting the person who bought it to get it moved to me, that would be kind of not an option. The person who bought it for me was my grandfather, and well he is not coming to the phone any more. We will see what they ask for next. If I have to rebuy jaws, I will switch to NVDA on my next computer or something.

DropBox Referral

2017-06-20 14:59:31

If they ask for the original buyer, remind them that he passed away, then ask if another family member would do to help them verify that the products were originally purchased for you.

2017-06-20 17:16:26 (edited by cw 2017-06-20 18:31:38)

I spent the last few days emailing back and forth with technical support and they just passed me off to their sells department. I do wonder sometimes. I basically told them that needed to make sure that the products in question is in my name. they took it exactly and checked to see if it was in my name. Of course it wasn’t LOL. I guess I needed to add an if claws there. For example, if not in my name, please transfer into my name. LOL. We will see if sells does better. Now back to myself. I guess that at some time I will see if they will transfer into to my name.

edit

Took a call from sells, and it should be transfered over by this evening.

DropBox Referral