2017-06-15 10:11:25

Hello.
Recently started playing in Entombed. Really liked the game. I wanted to create my own game like Entombed RPG.
There are several questions:
1. Which programming language is best used for such games? I do not think that Python with its pyglet and pygame is very suitable. Honestly, I've only seen one game that was written in Python, and it worked well. This is Undead assoult. And that's all.
2. I still have problems with maps. I do not know how to make a map. And accidentally generate as in Entombed even more so.
3. I want to develop only under Windows, and that there was no work with memory.
Help me please!
Thanks in advance!

2017-06-15 15:46:48

1. I am beginner like you, but I have researched a little bit and found that C# might be something you are looking for
2. I thing maps are just normal arrays

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-06-15 18:05:38

In C #, be sure to study such complex things as serialization, etc?
On the map, I still can not imagine how to create it.

2017-06-16 01:03:12 (edited by magurp244 2017-06-16 01:11:10)

Python works fine for game development, Civilization IV, EVE Online, and plenty of other games use it. Really its more about what people are comfortable working with.

Maps are generally handled with grids, although it depends sometimes. A map usually consists of a surface players walk across so it requires a width and height, or x and y, to plot the players position in the map. You can easily achieve this with a 2 dimensional array, for example:

maptest = [[0,0,0,0,0]
           [0,1,0,0,0]
           [0,0,0,0,0]
           [0,0,2,0,0]
           [0,0,0,3,0]]

This above is a 5 by 5 map consisting of 1 array holding 5 other arrays, which in turn hold 5 numbers each. 0 represents empty space, the number 1 represents the player, the number 2 an enemy, and the number 3 an item, etc. When accessing the map you would just need to input the x and y coordinates, such as map[1][1], and use the resulting number for what you want it to represent. So for example to move the player left you would check the players current position against where they want to go:

#if the space to the players left is empty, move there
if maptest[player.x-1][player.y] == 0:
    player.x -= 1
#if the space to the players left is occupied
elif maptest[player.x-1][player.y] == 2:
    print("Somethings already there!")
elif maptest[player.x-1][player.y] == 3:
    print("There's an item here!")
-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-06-16 09:21:36

About Python:
In addition to Undead Assoult, I have not seen more games that work well.
Now Python is developing Deathmatch, and I noticed a lot of problems.
To be honest, I always paid attention to only 3 programming languages:
Python is a very simple, simple and understandable syntax. But there are disadvantages. For example, to use libraries such as Pyglet, you need to study complex things such as decoration. In Python, it's difficult to use the development style as a BGT.
C# is a very good language, has a Framework that has many features, has many third-party libraries. But! I had an example of a game in C # where urllan was used. Everything is complicated there! Serialization is used, which I have not studied yet, etc. But I think that if you make an effort, you can develop super games on C #!
C++ is the best option! But C ++ requires a long and in-depth study, requires knowledge of mathematics, etc.
About the map:
Anyway, I do not understand this way.
In many games I saw the loading of the card. I do not know how to do this.
The way with dictionaries seems to me easier, but I'm not sure.

2017-06-16 10:46:59

You don't need complicated mathematics when using C++. It's all about what you want to do in the programming language you use.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2017-06-16 11:25:34

To develop games, I need complicated mathematics. Or, still, I have to spend a huge amount of time learning C++.
In C++ I know variables, conditional constructions, loops, arrays. And I'm more than confident that this is not enough for game development.

2017-06-16 14:01:03

You don't Need much more than that. The constructions with those elements get more complicated, but when I write code for games, I never use more than variables, Arrays, classes, conditions and Loops.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2017-06-16 15:37:31

And what about memory, stl and stuff?

2017-06-16 15:51:56

In C ++, I know:
Variables;
Conditions;
loops;
Arrays.
I do not know and do not understand the pointers.
And it turns out that I have to study classes, and then I can already have this knowledge to develop games?

2017-06-16 17:11:52

I am not sure

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2017-06-16 17:54:16

I just wanted to say that you don't Need to understand the Cosinus hyperbolicus to make games just because you use C++. You Need to search the Standard library and other libraries in the Internet for the classes you Need, I'm sure there are many that can help with game development, but you don't Need crazy mathematics.

2017-06-17 21:10:26

Hi,

I would suggest using BGT for such a simple attempt. The main reason is that you'll have all needed functionalities at hand, the main pathfinding algorithm (probably some A* derivate) is already implemented, and finding such stuff manually searching for some random C++ class will probably yield more problems than success. That's why beginners should face on using BGT instead of some other languages, this will enable you to focus more on the game than on the basics.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2017-06-19 10:29:03

This would be my Suggestion too. I also started with BGT and learning new languages is much easier afterwards.