2017-06-09 02:28:36

Good day,
My name is Chad Elliott Fahlman. I have developed the first 100% Blind Accessible Mobile Action Game for Google Play. Headphones, please, because you can't believe your eyes! Players listen to enemies approaching left or right. Swipe toward them before they close the distance. Enemies may wade through snow, step on puddles, or disguise themselves with heavy wind. There is even a boss character like Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time!

To quote one reviewer,

2017-06-09 02:31:13

"The sound effects at work in Blind Samurai are very well done and help to elevate the game’s core mechanic far above being a mere gimmick due to its dynamic implementation of environmental effects like rain and wind that continually keep players on their toes."

2017-06-09 02:34:53 (edited by chadfahlman 2017-06-09 07:03:20)

Blind Samurai is intuitive and playable on a whim. There are no intrusive menus. Sighted and non-sighted players alike will enjoy this game. In fact, current players are mostly sighted! 50% of game profits go to The AbleGamers Charity. E-mail [email protected] for a promo code. An iOS version is in development.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … &hl=en

2017-06-09 03:31:27

It seems very nice.

2017-06-09 05:44:41

can someone stick a link to the play store in here? I can't find it.

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2017-06-09 07:02:51

Here is the link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … &hl=en

2017-06-09 07:03:52

Hi chad and welcome to the forum.

I don't have an android device myself at the moment so can't try the game personally, but I'll definitely give it a go on Ios when it is available.

Always great to see more challenges in audio, especially games that let the sighted community  know audio games can be awesome, (I look forward to trying out that Ganondorf style boss).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-06-09 07:04:23

cool, ill wait for the ios version

2017-06-09 07:40:53

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I'm looking forward to the IOS version as well.
This is not "the first" audiogame on the mobile platform. There are lots of audiogames already. Why does the game not have any menus? Do you walk around in the game, or do you just swipe in the direction the sounds are coming from?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-06-09 09:50:43

Hello Everyone! Thank you for the warm welcome.

Let me address your question, SLJ. Blind Samurai is the first blind accessible mobile action game. There really isn't a genre like it. There are no menus because game play is seamless. The player is situated in the center. You swipe toward direction sound is coming from.

2017-06-09 10:15:18

@Chatd while I, and others here certainly appreciate another audiogame released, actually there are a good few audio action games for the mobile platform, though admittedly far more on Ios than android at the moment.

A blind legend, several  arcade style titles from Blindfold games, Blindscape, Space encounter and blind gladiator from Audio it, ear monsters, sixth sense, and the sadly discontinued audio defense zombie arena, pappasangre 1 and 2 and the nightjar from somethinelse, Jumpin saucers, possibly more that I am forgetting as well.

this is not to say the game is not appreciated, certainly in terms of audio games even on the pc there is not nearly enough by way of representations of each genre (certainly not enough tactical action games with more than a basic arcade style quick reaction gameplay), however it is always worth getting information correct.

Additionally, I have often wondered what more might be done if new developers of audiogames looked at previous work and built on it, rather  than, as it often seems, always working from scratch and so necessarily sometimes running across ground other games have already crossed.

That actually is part of what this site is here fore.

this isn't intended as a criticism of your company or the game, indeed I very much look forward to playing it, just an attempt to get information right.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-06-09 11:07:04

No offense taken! I too am a man of words. It may be appropriate to say Blind Samurai is an action arcade style game. I've played several audio games, and there really isn't anything similar. Oh well, I hope you enjoy Blind Samurai!

2017-06-09 12:27:33

Hi Chad and welcome to the forum. Good to hear that there's a new audio game for the smart devices. Well I do agree with dark completely, and there are lots of hear and react games in the market, but from what you've said, that's nice and I'm looking forward to try it as soon as the iOS version comes out.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2017-06-09 14:03:38

Well As Muhammad said,  please let us know when the Ios version comes out and I'll be very glad to try the game for myself.
glad my remarks weren't offensive, I certainly look forward to seeing what is unique about this one, and there definitely aren't enough action audio games however you cut it.

2017-06-09 14:12:49

The game is not worth your money.

2017-06-09 14:27:26

Hi.
@chadfahlman: Can you please make a recording of the game to show us what's so unique about your game? I have searched on Youtube but don't find anything useful.
In the IOS game called Sixth sense, you have guns and slashing weapons. You are standing at the same spot and shooting and slashing zombies who are coming from different directions. I currently don't see the difference between this game and your game, accept for your game sounds only like a slashing game. In Sixth sense, you can upgrade your weapons which is a nice feature in my opinion. What kind of those features does your game have to offer?
In an other game called A Blind Legend, you actually walk around and do other stuff as well. But the fighting parts are actually slashing, where you have a blade where you swipe in the direction the enemies are coming from...
So... It would be nice to read and hear what makes your game that much unique. Please show us a recording of a gameplay.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-06-09 16:29:10

Just want to point out that saying a game isn't worth the money and giving absolutely no reasons is incredibly vague and unhelpful. I'll be happy to try this game when it comes out on IOS.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2017-06-09 17:03:35

@Raiden, death is correct here, if your going to voice such a strong criticism of the game, please give reasons for why you think as you do, otherwise it just sounds like  doing nothing but bashing the game. After all, how can a developer improve a game  you give them no feedback, and how can other forum members decide  to trust your opinion about a game if you give no arguments in favour of it.

@Slj, Myself, I will reserve judgement on the game until I have played it, after all not all games need upgradable weapons and extras if the mechanics work well enough, look at the other blind samurai (the flash one on pc by evil dog productions), as an example of a game which just features slashing and blocking but has amazing mechanics and great cut scenes.

I will say a little more information about what you actually do in the game  be good to know, ie how complex the mechanics are, whether enemies attack, if you need to block, if it is the usual left/right stereo target style, how many different types of enemy there are etc, however in general I will wait  until the Ios version has come out and I've had a chance to play it myself to make up my mind,  ---- heck I'll probably need to do this to add the game to our site database anyway.

2017-06-09 18:16:02

For a game like A Blind Legend, I would have paid, but this game by and large does not give it even there is no main menu. What can we talk about here? If you stand and stupidly beat something. And for this you need to flesh? rave.

2017-06-09 20:05:40

Raiden, has it occurred to you that this is the first appearance of this guy on the forum? True, he said he's checked out some audiogames, but he seems new to the audio gaming scene. Think about it, a simple, or not so simple, slashing game is what some folks start off with. Hell, most folks start off with Guess the Number/Blackjack/begger-your-neighbor style games to get the randomization concept down before they go on to bigger games. And that's alright. You're not gonna start off with an action adventure as your first game. So if you're gonna criticize the dev for their first game, imagine yourself as a developer before you go criticizing it like it's nothing. As for me, I have an android device myself, so I'll go get me a promo code and try this thing out.

2017-06-09 20:18:46

Hi guys,
Tough crowd! It seems that I have more to learn. Nonetheless, people are enjoying Blind Samurai. The goal was to make it playable on a whim. There is footage from a review, but it lacks 3D sound. I'll try to upload something.

2017-06-09 21:33:08 (edited by jack 2017-06-09 21:36:03)

After trying it it's definitely a good starting point, although I currently see no way to exit. Come to think of it, a menu would be nice. I see why you didn't put one in because you were trying to make the interface simple, but several mobile games use menus without the need for talkback or voiceover, Audio game hub and Blind Cricket for example. Both games allow you to swipe up and down to choose an option and double tap to select without the need to enable talkback thanks to prerecorded menu options. That can especially be useful for viewing achievements. The early levels are rather repetitive, but maybe you could introduce multiple slashes to destroy later opponents, or multiple enemies in one round rather than the few seconds of break you get in between each one when the drum plays. At this point, I'm able to play the game on without headphones, and before anyone asks this is a nexus 6p with stereo speakers, lol.

2017-06-09 21:45:38 (edited by chadfahlman 2017-06-09 21:47:02)

That feedback is awesome. I had no idea certain phones could produce that effect. Hmm, I will consider adding a menu. Pro tip: Exit Blind Samurai by pressing the back button twice on your phone. If you press it once, there is a pause screen.

2017-06-09 21:54:22

Figured that would exit. I did did figure out that home doesn't work because the app doesn't suspend its state in while in background. In other words, you hit home, you get owned. And yes, some newer phones do actually have stereo speakers that are well spaced apart.

2017-06-09 22:19:42

jack wrote:

Figured that would exit. I did did figure out that home doesn't work because the app doesn't suspend its state in while in background. In other words, you hit home, you get owned. And yes, some newer phones do actually have stereo speakers that are well spaced apart.

Odd. When you press the home button, it should suspend the game. When you go back to the app, it says, "Tap to Resume" and counts down to game play.