2017-06-03 06:58:09

Hi all,

Well, Quorum V. 5.0 came out yesterday, with some interesting changes, especially in regards to their learning stuff.

http://www.quorumlanguage.com

2017-06-03 19:44:42

Could you please describe some of the changes in this topic so we have an idea as well if it'ss omething we might enjoy?

2017-06-06 03:47:01

Well, let's see:

1. They have a music engine to generate midi with, and this can be generated to a file as well and treated like any object, for example you can make an organ puzzle similar to that found in Chillingham with this. You can also generate tones with it's audio processing engine, similar to BGT's tone generator.

Those are the big audio changes. One other thing is that they now have an internal microphone class, apparently making it possible to add voice recognition to apps and such.
The other big thing is tutorial re-design. They have tutorials in tracks now, which means they've got the fundimentals in one called core, tutorials with a focus on visual apps in one aptly named, an audio track focusing on tutorials for audio, such as the afformentioned musical engine although there are some visual tutorials in there, with some audio elements, like making a Frogger game that, when you're done with the tutorial, probably won't be playable for totally blind people, we have to modify it.

The thing about Quorum in general that makes it so appealing is:
1. The syntax: They designed the language to have the most readable syntax possible, and if there's a change that people don't like, it can be changed if scientific evidence deems it necessary.
2. Pretty easy to port games to iOS, with the ability to automatically add a boarder to your app with a function in the game class to, I'm guessing, get around the Apple requirement of having *something* to look at.

The downsides of Quorum is that, while it has a game engine with features such as sound panning, changing pitch of sounds like BGT, it doesn't have obvious classes. We have to figure out how to create menus from scratch. I don't know very many BGT programmers who use the Dynamic Menu class anymore. Either they make them from scratch with cases or they make their own method. We have to do that with Quorum.

Here's the full release notes:

https://quorumlanguage.com/release.html

HTH.

2017-06-06 09:22:15

Hi,

While this looks very interesting for game development, I really would like a more focused tutorial. For example, how do I pan a sound very quickly? How do I make arrow keys move a player on a grid?
Thanks.

Underworld Tech.
Accessibility from us, to you.
Visit us

2017-06-06 22:49:27

I agree, Kyle12. This language is not for games, though, so I could understand why their official tutorials are not like that.
People should subscribe to their mailing list and suggest that, so I'm not the only one, because I've suggested this in the past.