2017-06-28 17:34:09

Good luck with the new laptop Dark.  I don't know about you, but I put off buying a new one for as long as I can, and when I do buy a new one it can take me weeks to feel comfortable using it.  The keyboard is always a little bit different, the screen is a different size, it isn't held together with duct tape... I guess I'm not a fan of change, haha.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-06-29 01:00:34

Lol aprone, you could put the   duct tape on before the casing cracks to make you feel more at home big_smile.

for me the  strangeness factor  doesn't last as long, but I s probably more serious, indeed that is one reason  I've not been around much  since while my lady doesn't mind me hijacking her laptop, there is so much   I find odd in this machine that I cannot get used to or change.
Eg,  I don't have fmy favourites, I have to constantly  speed up the voice to something I'm comfortable with, I can't put desktop icons as I like which let me do things like use the forum while receiving email or playing a game (I obviously don't have my mail account on this one at all), etc.

i'll have the same thing with the new machine (indeed my fingers are getting new keyboard  stretch right now), however at least the more of the operating system and software I can configure, the less time it'll take me to get used to the hardware.

this also feels really wrong, since usually a laptop has lasted me six or seven years, and my xp machine is fine, it just has xp on it at the moment and ram wise I'm better to get a new one than  try a new copy of windows.

Ah well, such is the fun of technology.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-06-29 13:36:12

Dark,
I solved the new laptop keyboard problem by plugging in my Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard.
It is a USB, and since I've been using it since 2000, I don't have to know where each key is located.
I have two of them so the other one is still on my desk top computer.
It is a bit strange having a keyboard in my lap and the laptop next to me on the desk or sofa.
But the ease of using a keyboard that my fingers know with no learning curve makes up for it.

2017-06-29 22:33:25

My lady doesn't like laptop keyboards since she always runs into the touch pad and has issues. Since I actually learned to type on a laptop rather than a desktop I  don't have an issue myself once my fingers get used to the spacing required, indeed I used to use the laptop keyboard layout on supernova until I got irritated at turning the function keys off everytime I wanted to do something in a game big_smile.

Keyboard wise, I love a wireless keyboard that I can lie across the room and use.

Well the new laptop has now arrived, but since it's my dad's 70th birthday tomorrow which is taking place on   a boat up the river trent and which I'm singing for, I probably  don't have time to do lots of configuring until the weekend, and of course I'll be back as normal next week once I'm  back at my flat.

Computers! can't live with them, can't live without them! ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-06-30 01:08:36

I haven't had a new laptop in, um, uh, a long time.  I'm still using desktops for most everything I do, which is probably why I bought a mac mini rather than a macbook air as my wife did last year.  Honestly, I love the old clickety clattering desktop keyboard; it's noise is comforting to me and gives me that feel of resistance I feel I need when typing, because I guess I've been doing it this way since I was 5 years old.  Laptops?  I can use them and I will if that's all I have, but desktops hold a place very dear to me, if you want to talk about not liking change much.  :d

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-06-30 13:01:23

Well that's true nocturnus, I do find desktop keyboards rather  comforting just in general for the sound of the keys and so on, even though my typing speed is  the same with both.
For me, I'll always need both, since a laptop screen just isn't physically large enough for me to do things like watch dvds  on or play graphical games, so I'll always need some sort of large screen.
while theoretically I suppose I could get a laptop, or even a tablet and plug it into something larger this just feels wrong for me, especially since I actually like owning dvds, besides it's great watching dvds on a comuter since I can control everything from vlc media player and also check things like  action sequences in a script if I need to.

so, I think I'll probably always have both, a laptop for random tavelling, and a desktop for sitting in my room and acting as a home cinimar come media center, then of course I have my Iphone as a basic hand held games playing  and navigation device, ---- oh the wonderful world of gadgets! big_smile.

2017-06-30 18:52:19

Well for me June is pretty chill. I haven't been playing alter much, though I did some puzzlewood and all of the event quests. Dark, Archais was tuff for me. Not a lot of areas with good xp when you hit levels 27 to 29. Me? I hit level 37 and I'm happy.
When I started playing swamp, zombies didn't respawn on missions, so I can do a 200 crates with 180 DB's at 60 with an M79 and an AK47, but now it's pure hell.
Still playing DnD, it's always fun. Right now I am  A lawful good Paladin, I am going to change my alignment too chaotic neutral I think. Good doesn't suit me. We have 2 players, both girls, both archers, ur, Rangers, and both total crap at hitting monsters, they hit us in stead. No joke. They've hit 1 or 2 monsters  The entire session.
I've just finished generation one bye Pittacus Lore. It's a spinoff of  the series called the Lorien Legacies. The first book is called I am number 4, and it's the best, or at least 1 of the best books I've read.   Throughout the series  you connect to all of the characters, so when someone dies, you feel loss. At least, I did. Timecrest  came close to that, but this book  beat it by a whole lot.  Other than that, not much else.

2017-06-30 19:39:31

Really should go do some swamp related things; I haven't done it for so long now I'd be rusty and zombie bait upon sight... er, smell?
Puzzlewood didn't hold any interest for me this year; from what I heard, even a bunch of high level players were dropping like flies and dying almost instantly, so I sat it out almost completely.  I tried one wave on my own, got to mob 2, and then I nearly died myself; all that to say that last year's was way way better.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.